The CardBoard

Full Version: Brink's blocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With an average of 2.71 blocks per game, Cameron Brink ranks 17th in the country—impressive enough for a freshman. More impressive though is that she does it in only 17.2 minutes per game. Of the top 25 shot blockers in the country, only 3 average under 20 min/game. Brink averages 6.3 blocks/40 min., good for 3rd amongst the top 25 shot blockers in the country. The only 2 players averaging higher are Jasmine Forte (Jr., Grambling St.) with 7.05 blocks/40 min, and Mahogany  Matthews (So., Marshall) with 6.37 blocks/40min. Aliyah Boston, rightly considered one of the top defensive players in the country, averages 4.08.
By the time she's a senior everyone will be saying a shot was "Brinked" whenever a shot is blocked.

I get credit for that.  Make it viral.
(02-08-2021, 10:45 AM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]By the time she's a senior everyone will be saying a shot was "Brinked" whenever a shot is blocked.

So noted!
(02-08-2021, 10:45 AM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]By the time she's a senior everyone will be saying a shot was "Brinked" whenever a shot is blocked.

email the maples announcer! looking it up online, i read that the announcer is betty ann hagenau, and that her email is baboeving@gmail.com. perhaps someone else can confirm.
Yes she’s been the PA announcer for years
Even though WSUs Ledger-Walker is a lock for Pac-12 FOY, I think Brink deserves a freshmen of the week recognition. She is just scratching the surface of her true potential (especially as a recent starter), and I would challenge anyone familiar with P12 WBB to name a better freshman in the conference (outside of Ledger-Walker).
Pao pao at Oregon has been very good. And as I write this she shots an air ball
I've said this before and will repeat: If she can avoid injury, Brink will be the face of USA Womens Basketball. She's a fantastic player, is electric, and the camera loves her.
(02-09-2021, 12:51 AM)old spanish trail Wrote: [ -> ]I've said this before and will repeat: If she can avoid injury, Brink will be the face of USA Womens Basketball. She's a fantastic player, is electric, and the camera loves her.

One can hope but knowing the media, the honor's probably going to Bueckers.

Although, Brink does have the Curry connection, and they do love to talk about that...
All PAC-12 freshman team should be: Brink, Leger-Walker, Goforth, Pao Pao, and then one of Jaddan Simmons (ASU), Emily Bessoir (UCLA), Tameiya Sadler (UW), Frida Formann (CO), or Dalayah Daniels (Cal).

Hard to give it to Sadler or Daniels because of how atrocious their teams are.
Good list. I’d go Formann
Brink has 49 blocks after only 18 games -- 1 more and she ties Erica McCall and Kristen Newlin for 18th place on the season record list -- and both of those players played more than 30 games in their season. Even in this truncated season, with fewer than the usual number of games, at her current average, Brink is likely to near the top of the season record list. (Record belongs to Jayne Appel, 84 blocks in 2007-08 season, also holds the Stanford career block record)

I absolutely love the term "brinked" to mean "blocked by Brink"!

However, if announcers take off on that, be prepared to be "pao-paoed" if Pao-Pao goes off against us.  I can almost see a comic book illustration in my head.

Those are almost as good as "you'd better belib it" when Fran dunks.
(02-09-2021, 10:13 AM)81alum Wrote: [ -> ]

However, if announcers take off on that, be prepared to be "pao-paoed" if Pao-Pao goes off against us.  I can almost see a comic book illustration in my head.

i emailed betty ann with the suggestion, for her consideration, and credited it to martyup.
None better than "you got fingered" when Taj made a block. Surprised "you got finagalled" didn't catch on.
(02-09-2021, 10:57 AM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-09-2021, 10:13 AM)81alum Wrote: [ -> ]

i emailed betty ann with the suggestion, for her consideration, and credited it to martyup.

Whoever has the connection should just send it to the band and it will happen.  Probably along the lines of "U ben BRINKED!!!"  

Cheers,
Pete F.
betty ann replied quickly and enthusiastically. she said she would pass martyup's suggestion "though the appropriate channels for approval."
(02-09-2021, 11:59 AM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]betty ann replied quickly and enthusiastically. she said she would pass martyup's suggestion "though the appropriate channels for approval."

Nice work!
Nice work team!  I like the band idea.  They could even compose a little lead-in instrumental diddy so the crowd could join in on the cheer "You got Brinked!"
(02-09-2021, 05:43 PM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Nice work team!  I like the band idea.  They could even compose a little lead-in instrumental diddy so the crowd could join in on the cheer "You got Brinked!"

What a team! Great job on this!