The CardBoard

Full Version: Carberry Leaving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

New hire will be important.
Big loss.
(02-21-2021, 08:27 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Big loss.

Big loss indeed. He was arguably the best position coach and one of the most willing recruiters on staff.
Wow, the first upward movement of a David Shaw assistant I can remember. I don't count getting head coaching gigs at Rice and Vanderbilt anything other than lateral moves. But, moving from Stanford to NFL is certainly a step up the career ladder.

My assumption is that because Shaw is so absurdly loyal to his assistants, he will get respect in return, and as a result, has known about Carberry leaving for a while, has a replacement lined up, and won't be caught flat-footed. This is my hope at least. You can't provide job security for coaches pretty much regardless of performance, and also have your staff walk into your office and say "I'm leaving for the Rams" tomorrow.
Quote:Carberry most recently worked as Stanford’s run game coordinator but worked on the same coaching staff as McVay in Washington when the two were together in 2016. McVay was the offensive coordinator in Washington that year, while Carberry was the assistant offensive line coach.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/02...sive-line/
A move up from his current position but he has been an OL coach in the NFL before.

Who Shaw hires is really important, but I'm not shedding a lot of tears over this. I've not been particularly impressed with the OL during his tenure.
(02-21-2021, 09:54 AM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]A move up from his current position but he has been an OL coach in the NFL before.

Who Shaw hires is really important, but I'm not shedding a lot of tears over this. I've not been particularly impressed with the OL during his tenure.

Amazing how perceptions change.  Folks were ready for his head after his first year.  Now it’s a big loss.
Injuries always make a coach look bad
OF has missed a number of upward moves but if he doesn’t count assistant to head coach no sense commenting more
(02-21-2021, 10:12 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Injuries always make a coach look bad
OF has missed a number of upward moves but if he doesn’t count assistant to head coach no sense commenting more

If you take out Mason to Vandy and Bloomgren to Rice, what other upward moves have been made by David Shaw assistants?
(02-21-2021, 10:24 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-21-2021, 10:12 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Injuries always make a coach look bad

If you take out Mason to Vandy and Bloomgren to Rice, what other upward moves have been made by David Shaw assistants?

Pep Hamilton to Colts OC?  Lance Taylor to Panthers WR coach?
Hanson To DC
Reynolds to Oklahoma as Dl coach.
(02-21-2021, 10:24 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]If you take out Mason to Vandy and Bloomgren to Rice, what other upward moves have been made by David Shaw assistants

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman
Is Chris Dalman available?
(02-21-2021, 03:21 PM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]Is Chris Dalman available?

from what looks like last summer

Quote:Chris Dalman Begins as Palma’s New President

https://palmaschool.com/chris-dalman-beg...president/
(02-21-2021, 08:30 AM)VB Card Wrote: [ -> ][quote="BobK" pid='308085' dateline='1613921268']

Big loss.

Big loss indeed. He was arguably the best position coach and one of the most willing recruiters on staff.

I'm with VB and Bob. It's a big loss. Initially, I was one of the skeptics the first year, and related that we sit behind the OL. I recounted how the OL weren't paying any attention to Carberry which didn't look good. On reflection, I realized it was one OL who wasn't paying attention...Nate Herbig. I wasn't surprised he left early and, good for him, went on to start for the Eagles. But obviously it was not a good match with Carberry, or he was already dreaming of greener pastures.

Since then, Carberry's been a terrific recruiter and I predict 2021 will be another good year for the OL. Only need to select a good successor to Dalman. Who will that be? There's excellent talent and pretty good depth across the line.

If McKee can just be a B quarterback, the offense will be excellent. Defense????? Who the heck are the DL besides Booker?

I trust Shaw to pick a worthy successor...maybe another from the NFL like Carberry
Hire Tom Cable.
Here is a link to a story about Walker Litle possibly being drafted by the Rams (Carberry).

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2021/2/22/...rd-profile