The CardBoard

Full Version: Senior guard Daejon Davis enters transfer portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I wonder if the proliferation of leagues offering an alternative to college hoops could benefit Stanford's relative standing versus other schools?   Back to the value of education--the profile of the person we pursue doesn't change that much.
(04-25-2021, 07:06 AM)Hurlburt88 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if the proliferation of leagues offering an alternative to college hoops could benefit Stanford's relative standing versus other schools?   Back to the value of education--the profile of the person we pursue doesn't change that much.

Certainly a possibility, however I'm a bit cynical here as I'm concerned there will continue to be an accelerating hyper-focus on raiding the transfer portal every year instead. 

Why sign an unproven freshman one-and-done when you can take a seasoned starter from a lower-division school (or even a P6 that sucks/had their coach fired), who has proven experience against college competition and likely won't transfer out or get drafted?
(04-25-2021, 09:55 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]Why sign an unproven freshman one-and-done when you can take a seasoned starter from a lower-division school (or even a P6 that sucks/had their coach fired), who has proven experience against college competition and likely won't transfer out or get drafted?
At least we're going to have our pick of the one-and-dones!
Any news on Wills?   I thought that May 1 was the deadline for the transfer portal, but I could be totally wrong on that.   Just haven't heard anything although I may have missed it
May 1 was and nothing about Wills.
One-time extension of the transfer portal deadline to June 1 due to Covid. Will be May 1 from next year on. I think.
Just committed to UW. We'll see him next season.

Of note the conference still has the one year sit out rule for those transferring within the conference. However soon the spring meeting will occur and the Pac-12 will probably
Lift this restriction and adhere to the NCAA rule
(05-04-2021, 10:10 AM)VB Card Wrote: [ -> ]Just committed to UW. We'll see him next season. 

https://twitter.com/DaejonDavis/status/1...75489?s=20 
I really hopes this works out for him.
...except when he plays vs. Stanford, of course.
I wish him luck, but transferring to a program in such a disaster state is a real slap in the face to Haase.
(05-04-2021, 04:56 PM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]I wish him luck, but transferring to a program in such a disaster state is a real slap in the face to Haase.
Maybe, but maybe he wants to play and he knows he won't get to do so at Stanford. Why is that a "slap in the face" to Haase? It is just true, and Davis elected to go elsewhere. That, in and of itself, reflects nothing on anybody. There may be other things that do, but somebody transferring for playing time doesn't do so.
(05-04-2021, 04:56 PM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]I wish him luck, but transferring to a program in such a disaster state is a real slap in the face to Haase.

Wait till you find out that Mike Hopkins has rebuilt their roster into a top half Pac-12 team for next season. Already landed West Virginia's starting PF, a guard (Daejon's cousin) who started 9 games for Arizona this past season, and Daejon. Plus, they're in the hunt for top-30 recruit and Seattle native Nolan Hickman who de-committed from Kentucky because he wanted to be close to home, as well as the favorite for PJ Fuller, TCU's starting SG this past year and Marjon Beauchamp, a former top-40 recruit. UW won't be a bottom feeder next season.
(05-04-2021, 05:12 PM)Goose Wrote: [ -> ]
Maybe, but maybe he wants to play and he knows he won't get to do so at Stanford. Why is that a "slap in the face" to Haase? It is just true, and Davis elected to go elsewhere. That, in and of itself, reflects nothing on anybody. There may be other things that do, but somebody transferring for playing time doesn't do so.

It's a slap in the face because Davis has chosen a program that is an even bigger cluster than Stanford due to massive transfer and recruiting issues.

I guess if Davis has no aspirations to play professionally then maybe it's a good decision. But if he does have those aspirations this transfer makes little sense.
As VB Card notes, Washington appears to be a bigger "cluster" because they are basically following the NBA approach towards assembling a team (minus the ability to trade players).  Sadly, UW is probably a leading indicator, and what appears to be a "cluster" is actually a scool building a super-team.

BC
(05-05-2021, 06:17 AM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2021, 05:12 PM)Goose Wrote: [ -> ]

It's a slap in the face because Davis has chosen a program that is an even bigger cluster than Stanford due to massive transfer and recruiting issues.

I guess if Davis has no aspirations to play professionally then maybe it's a good decision. But if he does have those aspirations this transfer makes little sense.
Or Davis chose Washington because a) it was his only offer, and/or b) he wanted to go there for non-basketball reasons,  and/or c) he thinks it is his best chance to shine. If it is alternative a, Davis chose nothing, as he had no choice. I really don't understand why a player leaving to get playing time elsewhere is a "slap in the face" to the program he left. It would appear the program he is leaving didn't intend to use him very much. His departure, if anything, is a reflection on the evaluation of the player by the coaching staff, not visa-versa. It would be different if it appeared the program really wanted the guy back and expected him to play major minutes, but as far as I can tell, that isn't the case.
(05-04-2021, 06:38 PM)VB Card Wrote: [ -> ]Wait till you find out that Mike Hopkins has rebuilt their roster into a top half Pac-12 team for next season. Already landed West Virginia's starting PF, a guard (Daejon's cousin) who started 9 games for Arizona this past season, and Daejon. Plus, they're in the hunt for top-30 recruit and Seattle native Nolan Hickman who de-committed from Kentucky because he wanted to be close to home, as well as the favorite for PJ Fuller, TCU's starting SG this past year and Marjon Beauchamp, a former top-40 recruit. UW won't be a bottom feeder next season.

I feel like this isn't getting enough attention...Davis wants to win next season, and the talent balance on paper seems to favor UW by a lot.
(05-05-2021, 09:12 PM)fullmetal Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like this isn't getting enough attention...Davis wants to win play next season, and the talent balance on paper seems to favor UW by a lot.
Fixed it for you. I do totally agree with your point about the UW program. Taking advantage of the new transfer situation to "fix" a bad talent situation is going to be an issue for everybody. I expect that building a team this way won't be as easy as it appears. Collecting good players is a necessary step, but getting them to play well together isn't a given. It can also take a while to 'jell' which may be beyond the timeline some of these players expect.

In any case, Stanford is going to have to deal with 'rent a player' more and more in the next few years. There is really no way Stanford can get access to a transfer pipeline. Even back "in the day" when Stanford actually did accept more transfers than it does now the numbers were always too small to be a a viable path to filling "holes" due to transfers out.
The flip side is that you will also see teams quickly decimated.  A team might be pretty good one year, but all their big players transfer out for greener pastures, and teams go from pretty good to really bad.  I would like to think we would be a bit more immune to this, but that remains to be seen.

BC
Pages: 1 2 3 4