The CardBoard

Full Version: 2021 Notre Dame vs. Stanford Predictions Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[Image: stripes-bill-murray.gif]
I've surrendered to the Dark Side, hope I am wrong, this is the first time in any of these "pick the score" contests that I have picked against us, but I am just worn down....I think ND will do all they can to try and run up the score in hopes of getting a CFP berth (which they probably won't), not sure if we'll see any ND fake punts (assuming they ever have to punt)....but you never know....and I'm expecting we'll once again get to savor at most one touchdown cookie at the game (hope I'm wrong about that too)....
(11-23-2021, 07:41 PM)82lsju Wrote: [ -> ]I've surrendered to the Dark Side, hope I am wrong, this is the first time in any of these "pick the score" contests that I have picked against us, but I am just worn down....I think ND will do all they can to try and run up the score in hopes of getting a CFP berth (which they probably won't), not sure if we'll see any ND fake punts (assuming they ever have to punt)....but you never know....

You went all in on that prediction.

BC
I was wrestling with 59-0 or 63-0 but I'll go with the latter. On ND's last drive, up 56-0, Chip Kelly momentarily thinks about kicking the field goal on 4th and short to give his kicker some practice. But, he reconsiders after realizing his kicker has worn his leg out after kicking off throughout the game.
I'm curious who thinks we will get two safeties.
(11-23-2021, 07:54 PM)CowboyIndian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious who thinks we will get two safeties.

I hope they are at least 4 stars. Be nice to add a few 4 star defensive linemen….
(11-23-2021, 08:06 PM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2021, 07:54 PM)CowboyIndian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious who thinks we will get two safeties.

I hope they are at least 4 stars. Be nice to add a few 4 star defensive linemen….

i see what you did there.
Leaving Navy out of it, since they were actually good enough to choke away a game at the end, last Saturday my two teams lost by a combined score of..... 96-11.  By all rights it should be worse this week.  But something crazy is going to happen after Thanksgiving.  It'll be flipped. Don't see GT scoring a touchdown on that defense though. And nothin' but tugs for the Dwags. 

ND 55-0

UGAG 42- 5 (Field goal and a safety baby!  The field goal is late from inside the ten and the five Tech fans in attendance storm the field in anger.)

I'm happy if either of them stops at 221.....
(11-23-2021, 07:41 PM)82lsju Wrote: [ -> ]I've surrendered to the Dark Side, hope I am wrong, this is the first time in any of these "pick the score" contests that I have picked against us, but I am just worn down....I think ND will do all they can to try and run up the score in hopes of getting a CFP berth (which they probably won't), not sure if we'll see any ND fake punts (assuming they ever have to punt)....but you never know....and I'm expecting we'll once again get to savor at most one touchdown cookie at the game (hope I'm wrong about that too)....

Noooo!  Another good one succumbs!

“The fear of loss is a path to the Dark Side.” 
- Yoda (yep, he really said it)

I guess you’re like the Tour de France GC contender that has a bad race and just wants to salvage one mountain stage win toward the end of a long, pathetic, masochistic slog.  I get it.  

But like an idiot, I’m still picking us!

Somehow, I’m in 7th place, four points out of 4th, having never picked against us (except, full disclosure, once by mistake.) My method, roughly, is to look at the Vegas over-under and pick us to win by the smallest possible margin.  If I really think we’re getting creamed, I’ll go up by 5-10 total points above the over-under but still pick us to win by a hair.  This way, at least I will get closer to the opponent’s lofty score and probably no further behind the other pathetic Cardinal-pickers like me.
I am inviting my fake mistress over. My wife doesn't mind. She is having lunch with her fake plumber.
Hey, 4-8 is still on the table.

BC
This could be worse than UCLA 1954 but I don't think so. Stanford surprises but is out of gas in the fourth Q. Domers do kick a late Fg to make it 31-20. Farrell scores on a long pass and McGill runs in a fumble for a score. Karty kicks a 65 yard FG on the first possession and a short one later.

Early in the game Reid lays out Coan who doesn't return. Clean hit. He wakes up in Stanford hospital with no injury but is asking he nurse if she could get rid of the leprechaun sitting in the corner talking to George Gipp.

Rudy is spotted by Fox in the donor box sitting next to Father Nelson.

Erin Go stick it in your ear. The honorary captain should be Owen Marecic.
Saint Andrew will be there (right?).

His aura alone is worth a Stanford touchdown.

ND 50 Stanford 7
(11-23-2021, 07:49 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]I was wrestling with 59-0 or 63-0 but I'll go with the latter. On ND's last drive, up 56-0, Chip Kelly momentarily thinks about kicking the field goal on 4th and short to give his kicker some practice. But, he reconsiders after realizing his kicker has worn his leg out after kicking off throughout the game.

If we're looking for silver linings, with a score like that the ND mascot might have need medical attention at Stanford hospital amidst all those scoring pushups.  And as long as it's not fatal, his removal from the stadium would be a positive development . . . 

But we all need to keep in mind that regardless of the score, at some point in Q4, the clock will strike 0:00.  And then hopes and dreams for next season may officially begin.
Stanford wins 24-23, because it would feel like the biggest upset ever if it happened.
(11-23-2021, 07:49 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]I was wrestling with 59-0 or 63-0 but I'll go with the latter. On ND's last drive, up 56-0, Chip Kelly momentarily thinks about kicking the field goal on 4th and short to give his kicker some practice. But, he reconsiders after realizing his kicker has worn his leg out after kicking off throughout the game.

I think you meant to say "Brian Kelly".  Yes, this is the second Coach Kelly we will lose to this season. Unfortunately, it will also be the second straight home loss to ND and third straight total since 2018.  We fortunately missed them in South Bend last year.  The Irish victory in 2019 was the first time since 2007 that Stanford had lost to the Domers at home.  The last time we won at home, it was a 38-20 shellacking of Kelly's squad.  Well, that is not going to happen this year.  

I also fear that Kelly is going to aim for a major blow-out.  ND's largest margin of victory against Stanford was 57-7 back in 2003 (the perfidious days of Buddy Ball).  Will it be that bad?  I certainly hope not.  I'm going 49-13.  Bad enough, but better than the Utah beatdown.
(11-24-2021, 02:04 AM)Austroturf Wrote: [ -> ]

I think you meant to say "Brian Kelly".  Yes, this is the second Coach Kelly we will lose to this season. Unfortunately, it will also be the second straight home loss to ND and third straight total since 2018.  We fortunately missed them in South Bend last year.  The Irish victory in 2019 was the first time since 2007 that Stanford had lost to the Domers at home.  The last time we won at home, it was a 38-20 shellacking of Kelly's squad.  Well, that is not going to happen this year.  

I also fear that Kelly is going to aim for a major blow-out.  ND's largest margin of victory against Stanford was 57-7 back in 2003 (the perfidious days of Buddy Ball).  Will it be that bad?  I certainly hope not.  I'm going 49-13.  Bad enough, but better than the Utah beatdown.

I'm going into the game thinking the score will be whatever the opposing coach decides it should be.
Interestingly enough, the last time I can remember thinking that was the 2007 U$C game.
Of course, I realize the chances of us pulling off an upset in this one are just about zero.
Still, I am hoping we can give a better account of ourselves than what people are predicting.
(11-23-2021, 10:30 PM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]The honorary captain should be Owen Marecic.
Marecic should start at ILB. Covid exemption, extra eligibility.
(11-24-2021, 02:04 AM)Austroturf Wrote: [ -> ]I also fear that Kelly is going to aim for a major blow-out.  ND's largest margin of victory against Stanford was 57-7 back in 2003 (the perfidious days of Buddy Ball).  Will it be that bad?  I certainly hope not.  I'm going 49-13.  Bad enough, but better than the Utah beatdown.

This.  Our game is ND's last chance to impress the CFP people and a blowout helps the thin chance they have of making the CFP.   In this week's poll ND is #6.  One of #2 tOSU or #5 UM will lose and likely fall below ND (well maybe not if UM wins a close game).  ND will need a little help to move further up, something like if UGA wins out and blows out Alabama in the SEC championship or Cincinnati slips up against either East Carolina or iHouston n the AAC Championship game....
I am going with 45-10.

Notre Dame needs to win big to avoid having others in the CFP race pass them.  They also still use these Stanford/USC games to improve their CA recruiting efforts.   So they may want a few scores to show recruits the type of success they will enjoy at ND.

If ND gets a 28 point lead any final score will still be impressive enough.   At some point Notre Dame will want to play athletes they plan to redshirt or athletes that have had limited playing time as that could help with secure recruits that may have heard counter arguments about going to Notre Dame and/or avoid having certain role players jump into the transfer portal.

While a 28 point margin will be more than enough, I suspect even those role players and freshmen should find ways to score too.
Pages: 1 2 3