The CardBoard

Full Version: My god that sucked everything sucked my god what was that
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(10-27-2012, 07:00 PM)Rando90 link Wrote:I guess I'm delusional since I go into every game thinking our defense can hold opposing offenses to 14 points or less when they are on their A game, and our offense just needs to be good enough to score more.

I think that just makes you a football fan who thinks that if your team does things right they have a good shot at beating teams who are favored.

(10-27-2012, 07:00 PM)Rando90 link Wrote:I guess I'm delusional since I go into every game thinking our defense can hold opposing offenses to 14 points or less when they are on their A game, and our offense just needs to be good enough to score more.

I think that just makes you a football fan who thinks that if your team does things right they have a good shot at beating teams who are favored.

There is a boatload of negativity on this forum regarding our 6-2 team this season. I tend to be optimistic about our team. Is there room for that on this forum?
There is a boatload of negativity on this forum regarding our 6-2 team this season. I tend to be optimistic about our team. Is there room for that on this forum?
(10-27-2012, 07:08 PM)Rando90 link Wrote:There is a boatload of negativity on this forum regarding our 6-2 team this season. I tend to be optimistic about our team. Is there room for that on this forum?

Are you saying that someone who expects one of the most prolific offenses in football, who had our number the last two years, even when we had the best quarterback in football, to beat us is 'being negative"?

(That being said, I am sorry quibbled with the original use of the term "expect".

I thought you guys ate that stuff up.)
(10-27-2012, 07:08 PM)Rando90 link Wrote:There is a boatload of negativity on this forum regarding our 6-2 team this season. I tend to be optimistic about our team. Is there room for that on this forum?

Are you saying that someone who expects one of the most prolific offenses in football, who had our number the last two years, even when we had the best quarterback in football, to beat us is 'being negative"?

(That being said, I am sorry quibbled with the original use of the term "expect".

I thought you guys ate that stuff up.)
(10-27-2012, 06:36 PM)dabigv link Wrote:Hogan is credited with one completion for 7 yards, though I honestly cannot recall it.

I saw that, and I don't remember seeing it either.  If true, he maintains his 100% accuracy though I think his 500 QB rating goes down since it wasn't a TD.  Shaw should just play him against Colorado to see what happens.  I think Robbie Picazo could beat the Buffs.
(10-27-2012, 06:36 PM)dabigv link Wrote:Hogan is credited with one completion for 7 yards, though I honestly cannot recall it.

I saw that, and I don't remember seeing it either.  If true, he maintains his 100% accuracy though I think his 500 QB rating goes down since it wasn't a TD.  Shaw should just play him against Colorado to see what happens.  I think Robbie Picazo could beat the Buffs.
Nobody is complaining about a 6-2 season.  But I think it is fair to argue that we could easily be 8-0 with improved offense.  But, personally, it is not so much the offense, per se, that has me bothered, it is Shaw's unwillingness to see what seems pretty obvious to most people: that Nunes has really played about a game and a half of good football, and otherwise is not really showing signs of progress.  I'm not even upset at Nunes.  I'm certain he is doing his level best, putting in the hours in practice and in the film room, etc.  At some point it is the responsibility of the coaches to step in and say it is time to at least explore another option.

Not saying anything new here but we all know the particular challenge posed by Oregon is that their offense is pretty unique so if you don't have a lot of time to prepare for it, it becomes very hard to defend, even for a D as fantastic as ours.  In recent years Oregon has lost primarily at the beginning of the season (a loss to LSU in game 1; a loss to Boise State which I believe was also game 1) when the opposing team has lots of time to prepare for that O, and Oregon may still be working on getting all the moving pieces in place; or in a bowl game when the opponent has a month or more to prepare.  Only USC has managed to beat them, last year, in mid-season.  And that required a strong offense, accompanying the good D. 

Is it possible to beat them? Sure.  Our d will give us a chance every game.  But I think we'd all feel better if the passing offense could contribute something.
Nobody is complaining about a 6-2 season.  But I think it is fair to argue that we could easily be 8-0 with improved offense.  But, personally, it is not so much the offense, per se, that has me bothered, it is Shaw's unwillingness to see what seems pretty obvious to most people: that Nunes has really played about a game and a half of good football, and otherwise is not really showing signs of progress.  I'm not even upset at Nunes.  I'm certain he is doing his level best, putting in the hours in practice and in the film room, etc.  At some point it is the responsibility of the coaches to step in and say it is time to at least explore another option.

Not saying anything new here but we all know the particular challenge posed by Oregon is that their offense is pretty unique so if you don't have a lot of time to prepare for it, it becomes very hard to defend, even for a D as fantastic as ours.  In recent years Oregon has lost primarily at the beginning of the season (a loss to LSU in game 1; a loss to Boise State which I believe was also game 1) when the opposing team has lots of time to prepare for that O, and Oregon may still be working on getting all the moving pieces in place; or in a bowl game when the opponent has a month or more to prepare.  Only USC has managed to beat them, last year, in mid-season.  And that required a strong offense, accompanying the good D. 

Is it possible to beat them? Sure.  Our d will give us a chance every game.  But I think we'd all feel better if the passing offense could contribute something.
Quote:I'm not even upset at Nunes.  I'm certain he is doing his level best, putting in the hours in practice and in the film room, etc.  At some point it is the responsibility of the coaches to step in and say it is time to at least explore another option.

Well said.
Quote:I'm not even upset at Nunes.  I'm certain he is doing his level best, putting in the hours in practice and in the film room, etc.  At some point it is the responsibility of the coaches to step in and say it is time to at least explore another option.

Well said.
In the win is a win department, Texas Tech and Rutgers lost, so we should be moving up a couple notches in the rankings.  After games like this, I have to remind myself that at the beginning of the season, I said I'd be happy with a Top25 finish at the end of the season.  That counts as proving we can win without Luck and keep the recruiting momentum going.
In the win is a win department, Texas Tech and Rutgers lost, so we should be moving up a couple notches in the rankings.  After games like this, I have to remind myself that at the beginning of the season, I said I'd be happy with a Top25 finish at the end of the season.  That counts as proving we can win without Luck and keep the recruiting momentum going.
(10-27-2012, 07:38 PM)Publius link Wrote:In the there is hope against the Ducks department, with the exception of Kal and the Universty of New Jersey, Durham campus we tend to play up to or down to the opponent.  If you can keep it close, there's always lower-case luck.

Your observation gives me hope.  I'll have even more hope if Shaw says the team will now be giving either Hogan or Nottingham an extended look next week against the Buffaloes.  This is really the last opportunity on our schedule to give a young QB a look, and some live action, in a game where we should be able to basically win on the strength of our defense. 
(10-27-2012, 07:38 PM)Publius link Wrote:In the there is hope against the Ducks department, with the exception of Kal and the Universty of New Jersey, Durham campus we tend to play up to or down to the opponent.  If you can keep it close, there's always lower-case luck.

Your observation gives me hope.  I'll have even more hope if Shaw says the team will now be giving either Hogan or Nottingham an extended look next week against the Buffaloes.  This is really the last opportunity on our schedule to give a young QB a look, and some live action, in a game where we should be able to basically win on the strength of our defense. 
We did get an extended look at Hogan. I would guess he was out there for...how many plays? Fifteen, or so?

The theory that the coaches are trying to transition to Hogan is not exactly disproven. But, if that's the plan, my god, rip the band-aid, guys. That effort, right there? Not acceptable.
We did get an extended look at Hogan. I would guess he was out there for...how many plays? Fifteen, or so?

The theory that the coaches are trying to transition to Hogan is not exactly disproven. But, if that's the plan, my god, rip the band-aid, guys. That effort, right there? Not acceptable.

Bio97

Regarding "what was that" here is my take

1) We were completely out-coached, as we have been all season with the exception of the defensive coaching against U$C.
2) Nunes has not developed. Is he just no good or is that he has not *been* developed by this clearly weak offensive staff? We'll never know because Shaw won't replace him this year.
3) Most troubling to me after 8 games this season is that we simply are not coaching the younger guys. This is a serious problem because it won't be corrected unless there is a major change. Look at all the young talent we have -- how many are performing as we'd expected?Now look at how *is* doing well -- all are veteran players who benefited from coaching in the Harb/Roman/Fangio era.

This is my first post...I've been watching Stanford football since the early 90s and am happy to have found a place where I can discuss. Thanks for having me.

Bio97

Regarding "what was that" here is my take

1) We were completely out-coached, as we have been all season with the exception of the defensive coaching against U$C.
2) Nunes has not developed. Is he just no good or is that he has not *been* developed by this clearly weak offensive staff? We'll never know because Shaw won't replace him this year.
3) Most troubling to me after 8 games this season is that we simply are not coaching the younger guys. This is a serious problem because it won't be corrected unless there is a major change. Look at all the young talent we have -- how many are performing as we'd expected?Now look at how *is* doing well -- all are veteran players who benefited from coaching in the Harb/Roman/Fangio era.

This is my first post...I've been watching Stanford football since the early 90s and am happy to have found a place where I can discuss. Thanks for having me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9