The CardBoard

Full Version: My god that sucked everything sucked my god what was that
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Cardinal96

(10-27-2012, 08:44 PM)JeffInCorvallis link Wrote:Oregon scored 70 today against a terrible team, and they called off the dogs in the second half or they probably would have gotten to 150.  I'm on record saying they won't score 70 against us.  If they get to 40 we're toast, maybe 30.  If we can hold them in the 14-24 range we've got a shot.  That's a tall order for any defense.  The thing is, the offense simply MUST have some sustained drives.  Oregon goes so quickly that each of their possessions only lasts 2-3 minutes.  If we're going three and out, they just get so many more chances.  They have so many big-play weapons that your defense can play an outstanding game but it only takes a few blown coverages and missed tackles to make the game look lopsided.

I think the only chance we have of beating Oregon is if our defense forcing something like 5 turnovers.  And we control time of possession.  I see that game getting out of hand very early.  That said, to this day, I think we beat Oregon two years ago if Owusu wasn't knocked out on that helmet-to-helmet hit (which was not caused and was the start of that game turning around).

Cardinal96

(10-27-2012, 08:44 PM)JeffInCorvallis link Wrote:Oregon scored 70 today against a terrible team, and they called off the dogs in the second half or they probably would have gotten to 150.  I'm on record saying they won't score 70 against us.  If they get to 40 we're toast, maybe 30.  If we can hold them in the 14-24 range we've got a shot.  That's a tall order for any defense.  The thing is, the offense simply MUST have some sustained drives.  Oregon goes so quickly that each of their possessions only lasts 2-3 minutes.  If we're going three and out, they just get so many more chances.  They have so many big-play weapons that your defense can play an outstanding game but it only takes a few blown coverages and missed tackles to make the game look lopsided.

I think the only chance we have of beating Oregon is if our defense forcing something like 5 turnovers.  And we control time of possession.  I see that game getting out of hand very early.  That said, to this day, I think we beat Oregon two years ago if Owusu wasn't knocked out on that helmet-to-helmet hit (which was not caused and was the start of that game turning around).
(10-27-2012, 08:37 PM)Bio97 link Wrote:[quote author=Administrator link=topic=6761.msg50705#msg50705 date=1351395046]
[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50697#msg50697 date=1351393390]
This is my first post...I've been watching Stanford football since the early 90s and am happy to have found a place where I can discuss. Thanks for having me.

That's interesting because someone named 49er posted using the same IP address as you.
[/quote]

Ok. What does that mean/imply?
[/quote]

It means someone named 49er, who posted three times, used your router, if not your computer.
(10-27-2012, 08:37 PM)Bio97 link Wrote:[quote author=Administrator link=topic=6761.msg50705#msg50705 date=1351395046]
This is my first post...I've been watching Stanford football since the early 90s and am happy to have found a place where I can discuss. Thanks for having me.

That's interesting because someone named 49er posted using the same IP address as you.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It means someone named 49er, who posted three times, used your router, if not your computer.

[/quote]

[/quote]

It means you're a troll. Go away.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bio97

(10-27-2012, 08:49 PM)dabigv link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50707#msg50707 date=1351395444]
[quote author=Administrator link=topic=6761.msg50705#msg50705 date=1351395046]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What makes me a troll? I re-read my posts and didn't find any of them to be trollish.

Bio97

(10-27-2012, 08:49 PM)dabigv link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50707#msg50707 date=1351395444]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What makes me a troll? I re-read my posts and didn't find any of them to be trollish.
I heard from someone connected with the team who said Nunes was playing for his job today.  He seemed genuinely surprised that Hogan didn't stay in to finish out the second half.  Seems that momentum (inertia really) has shifted and that change may be on the way.  Let's hope.
I heard from someone connected with the team who said Nunes was playing for his job today.  He seemed genuinely surprised that Hogan didn't stay in to finish out the second half.  Seems that momentum (inertia really) has shifted and that change may be on the way.  Let's hope.
(10-27-2012, 08:48 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50707#msg50707 date=1351395444]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, not necessarily. People rarely get static IP addresses these days, so 49er could just be someone with the same ISP who lives in the same area.
(10-27-2012, 08:48 PM)Yvonne link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50707#msg50707 date=1351395444]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, not necessarily. People rarely get static IP addresses these days, so 49er could just be someone with the same ISP who lives in the same area.
I've already stated where I stand on the Nunes issue and I know I said I was done with criticizing him individually, but since so much was made of him early in the season about him speaking French, the last thing I will say is that he lacks that "Je ne sais quoi". 

Our offense is built on an identity of ball control and wearing an opponent out, yet we get dominated in time of possession by a spread offense because our offense cannot stay on the field.  We are 5 of 12 on 3rd down, par for this year.  WSU ran 84 plays compared to our 52.  It's no wonder we cannot wear anyone out anymore, or "impose our will" in the 4th quarter.  We have only won the time of possession battle by a decent margin in only 3 games (Cal, SC, and Arizona).  Taylor does an absolutely amazing job of fighting for every last yard (and who is going to be our grinder or big back next year?), but teams are selling out to stop him.  Teams also have no fear of going for it on 4th down in our territory, because we have not shown that we can make them pay if they fail.  It is only stating the obvious, but you cannot win with a ball control strategy if you cannot control the ball. 

For the boxing analogy that the Pac-12 broadcasters liked using today, it sure felt like we lost by the Compubox score.  Sure, we threw a few body blows but we whiffed on just about every head shot except one lucky knockdown that was more like a slip (the busted coverage for Patterson).  Otherwise, we just got peppered by jabs all day, and the trainer kept acting like we were comfortably ahead, so we didn't change our strategy at all.  In the end, we left with a win on the final scorecard but a bloodied-up face.  I'm just glad I didn't spend anything for the pay-per-view, because I'd want my money back for this ugly fight.

Of course, a win is a win, and I'd be much unhappier after a loss, especially to WSU who lost to Colorado at home after all.  Out of our 8 games, we have only had 1 blowout (Duke) and 1 relatively comfortable game (Cal).  Every other game has made me start looking for coupons for Prilosec OTC.  As an aside, does anyone doubt that Leach would have gone for 2 and the win had he tied the game?  Sitting through a 2 point conversion try might have required twice daily dosing. 

I've already stated where I stand on the Nunes issue and I know I said I was done with criticizing him individually, but since so much was made of him early in the season about him speaking French, the last thing I will say is that he lacks that "Je ne sais quoi". 

Our offense is built on an identity of ball control and wearing an opponent out, yet we get dominated in time of possession by a spread offense because our offense cannot stay on the field.  We are 5 of 12 on 3rd down, par for this year.  WSU ran 84 plays compared to our 52.  It's no wonder we cannot wear anyone out anymore, or "impose our will" in the 4th quarter.  We have only won the time of possession battle by a decent margin in only 3 games (Cal, SC, and Arizona).  Taylor does an absolutely amazing job of fighting for every last yard (and who is going to be our grinder or big back next year?), but teams are selling out to stop him.  Teams also have no fear of going for it on 4th down in our territory, because we have not shown that we can make them pay if they fail.  It is only stating the obvious, but you cannot win with a ball control strategy if you cannot control the ball. 

For the boxing analogy that the Pac-12 broadcasters liked using today, it sure felt like we lost by the Compubox score.  Sure, we threw a few body blows but we whiffed on just about every head shot except one lucky knockdown that was more like a slip (the busted coverage for Patterson).  Otherwise, we just got peppered by jabs all day, and the trainer kept acting like we were comfortably ahead, so we didn't change our strategy at all.  In the end, we left with a win on the final scorecard but a bloodied-up face.  I'm just glad I didn't spend anything for the pay-per-view, because I'd want my money back for this ugly fight.

Of course, a win is a win, and I'd be much unhappier after a loss, especially to WSU who lost to Colorado at home after all.  Out of our 8 games, we have only had 1 blowout (Duke) and 1 relatively comfortable game (Cal).  Every other game has made me start looking for coupons for Prilosec OTC.  As an aside, does anyone doubt that Leach would have gone for 2 and the win had he tied the game?  Sitting through a 2 point conversion try might have required twice daily dosing. 

(10-27-2012, 08:19 PM)Bio97 link Wrote:[quote author=young_money link=topic=6761.msg50698#msg50698 date=1351393694]
Shaw is a complete asshole.

Agreed. As an alum, what's more troubling than the fact he's not a qualified D1 coach is that he lacks the traits I expect of a Stanford alum -- introspection, self-analysis, humility...
[/quote]

Really? Wow....I'm not sure how to respond to either of these.

We are 6-2, ranked in the top 20 and are a couple of plays from being undefeated WITH Nunes at quarterback and all the other failings of our offense. If we make one or two more plays against Washington, whether it is one or two better throws / reads from Nunes or Montgomery catching one or two more balls or a run blitz on 4th and 1 where Vaughters takes the right hole or......, we beat Washington. The same Washington team that just beat an undefeated and top 10 ranked Oregon State tonight. And IF we a make one or two more plays at Notre Dame or we don't get a couple of terrible calls from Pac-12 refs, we probably win that game.

And somehow Shaw is an ASSHOLE?!?!?!? Settle down people. Look, I know I'm one of the more optimistic fans out there (I'm sure oman would think I'm delusional too) and I agree that Shaw has made plenty of mistakes this year but come on people. We are starting to sound like kal / Notre Dame fans here. Sure Shaw has had some of immense proportions advantages to start his head coaching career taking over Harbaugh but Shaw's had the most successful start of any head coach is Stanford history. He is 17-4 overall, 2-0 against Cal, 2-0 against USC and 1-1 against Notre Dame. Who doesn't take that?

Shaw's main disadvantage is that he will always be compared to Harbaugh. And he's not Harbaugh. Jim Harbaugh is not coming back. Is that what makes Shaw an asshole?

Bio97 - I don't think you're a troll, but calling Shaw an asshole and lacks the traits of a Stanford alum....come on.
(10-27-2012, 08:19 PM)Bio97 link Wrote:[quote author=young_money link=topic=6761.msg50698#msg50698 date=1351393694]

Agreed. As an alum, what's more troubling than the fact he's not a qualified D1 coach is that he lacks the traits I expect of a Stanford alum -- introspection, self-analysis, humility...
[/quote]

We are 6-2, ranked in the top 20 and are a couple of plays from being undefeated WITH Nunes at quarterback and all the other failings of our offense. If we make one or two more plays against Washington, whether it is one or two better throws / reads from Nunes or Montgomery catching one or two more balls or a run blitz on 4th and 1 where Vaughters takes the right hole or......, we beat Washington. The same Washington team that just beat an undefeated and top 10 ranked Oregon State tonight. And IF we a make one or two more plays at Notre Dame or we don't get a couple of terrible calls from Pac-12 refs, we probably win that game.

And somehow Shaw is an ASSHOLE?!?!?!? Settle down people. Look, I know I'm one of the more optimistic fans out there (I'm sure oman would think I'm delusional too) and I agree that Shaw has made plenty of mistakes this year but come on people. We are starting to sound like kal / Notre Dame fans here. Sure Shaw has had some of immense proportions advantages to start his head coaching career taking over Harbaugh but Shaw's had the most successful start of any head coach is Stanford history. He is 17-4 overall, 2-0 against Cal, 2-0 against USC and 1-1 against Notre Dame. Who doesn't take that?

Shaw's main disadvantage is that he will always be compared to Harbaugh. And he's not Harbaugh. Jim Harbaugh is not coming back. Is that what makes Shaw an asshole?

Bio97 - I don't think you're a troll, but calling Shaw an asshole and lacks the traits of a Stanford alum....come on.
(10-27-2012, 11:44 PM)Ratmandoo link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50700#msg50700 date=1351394384]
[quote author=young_money link=topic=6761.msg50698#msg50698 date=1351393694]

[/quote]

We are 6-2, ranked in the top 20 and are a couple of plays from being undefeated WITH Nunes at quarterback and all the other failings of our offense. If we make one or two more plays against Washington, whether it is one or two better throws / reads from Nunes or Montgomery catching one or two more balls or a run blitz on 4th and 1 where Vaughters takes the right hole or......, we beat Washington. The same Washington team that just beat an undefeated and top 10 ranked Oregon State tonight. And IF we a make one or two more plays at Northern Indiana Parochial College or we don't get a couple of terrible calls from Pac-12 refs, we probably win that game.

And somehow Shaw is an ASSHOLE?!?!?!? Settle down people. Look, I know I'm one of the more optimistic fans out there (I'm sure oman would think I'm delusional too) and I agree that Shaw has made plenty of mistakes this year but come on people. We are starting to sound like kal / Northern Indiana Parochial College fans here. Sure Shaw has had some of extremely large proportions advantages to start his head coaching career taking over Harbaugh but Shaw's had the most successful start of any head coach is Stanford history. He is 17-4 overall, 2-0 against the college near a BART station, 2-0 against the team Under Stanford Control and 1-1 against Northern Indiana Parochial College. Who doesn't take that?

[/quote]

You clearly haven't been paying attention all season and haven't been watching the games. No one is comparing Shaw to Harbaugh. I said Shaw is an asshole because of how I've observed him handle the team this season. I have nothing against Shaw, but he is clearly an asshole. Nunes has been garbage and no change is in sight. Play-calling has been terrible. He's very smug and acts like he knows what he's doing but he hasn't given any other QB on the roster a chance. The season is almost over. Their defense is legendary and this has been obvious based on performance (hello 10 sacks today). And I've been holding back all season but I did talk to an NFL coordinator with a ton of college experience before the season and he said Harbaugh took the talent to SF. I tried to argue with him but so far it looks like he was right.
(10-27-2012, 11:44 PM)Ratmandoo link Wrote:[quote author=Bio97 link=topic=6761.msg50700#msg50700 date=1351394384]
[quote author=young_money link=topic=6761.msg50698#msg50698 date=1351393694]

[/quote]

We are 6-2, ranked in the top 20 and are a couple of plays from being undefeated WITH Nunes at quarterback and all the other failings of our offense. If we make one or two more plays against Washington, whether it is one or two better throws / reads from Nunes or Montgomery catching one or two more balls or a run blitz on 4th and 1 where Vaughters takes the right hole or......, we beat Washington. The same Washington team that just beat an undefeated and top 10 ranked Oregon State tonight. And IF we a make one or two more plays at Northern Indiana Parochial College or we don't get a couple of terrible calls from Pac-12 refs, we probably win that game.

And somehow Shaw is an ASSHOLE?!?!?!? Settle down people. Look, I know I'm one of the more optimistic fans out there (I'm sure oman would think I'm delusional too) and I agree that Shaw has made plenty of mistakes this year but come on people. We are starting to sound like kal / Northern Indiana Parochial College fans here. Sure Shaw has had some of extremely large proportions advantages to start his head coaching career taking over Harbaugh but Shaw's had the most successful start of any head coach is Stanford history. He is 17-4 overall, 2-0 against the college near a BART station, 2-0 against the team Under Stanford Control and 1-1 against Northern Indiana Parochial College. Who doesn't take that?

[/quote]

You clearly haven't been paying attention all season and haven't been watching the games. No one is comparing Shaw to Harbaugh. I said Shaw is an asshole because of how I've observed him handle the team this season. I have nothing against Shaw, but he is clearly an asshole. Nunes has been garbage and no change is in sight. Play-calling has been terrible. He's very smug and acts like he knows what he's doing but he hasn't given any other QB on the roster a chance. The season is almost over. Their defense is legendary and this has been obvious based on performance (hello 10 sacks today). And I've been holding back all season but I did talk to an NFL coordinator with a ton of college experience before the season and he said Harbaugh took the talent to SF. I tried to argue with him but so far it looks like he was right.
I have to agree with Ratmandoo here.  The personal attacks on Shaw are over the top.  Stanford alums and fans should be better than this.  While I clearly disagree with some of his coaching moves, and have also vented my frustrations, I think we don't need to resort to name calling and vitriol.  We don't know what goes on behind closed doors or practices.  There are dynamics of handling young people that Shaw has to deal with, and there may be things that we aren't aware of, reasons why he might not have changed QBs already.  It's easy to play armchair coach and it's part of the fun of being a fan. 

But it should remain fun.  Please remember that it is a game after all.  College sports is obviously a big business now, and we have become a player in the arms race so to speak, but I don't want us to become like an SEC school where winning comes at all costs including fair play and our mission as a university.  Would I be happy with a national championship in basketball at Stanford if it was achieved like Calipari does it?  No, I would not.  I am proud of my school for recruiting real student-athletes, for not having early-entry so freshmen can go to spring camps (and thereby costing them the last part of their senior year in HS), for enticing recruits on the basis of getting a world-class education, and not for some dubious perks of fancy uniforms or facilities or payments under the table. 

And I want us to win so badly, if not just for the fact to show that it can be done, that we don't have to lower our academic standards to compete, that you can win a national championship in football at Stanford.  For our seniors in particular, I've been as disappointed as anyone by our losses this year, but let's not let our passion for the game turn into misguided maliciousness towards our own.  We expect our players and coaches to represent Stanford with class, and we should hold ourselves to those same lofty expectations.  We can voice our opinions without getting personal.  As was recently coined, we win with character and cruelty, but with all the personal attacks, we are losing our character and only keeping the cruelty. 
I have to agree with Ratmandoo here.  The personal attacks on Shaw are over the top.  Stanford alums and fans should be better than this.  While I clearly disagree with some of his coaching moves, and have also vented my frustrations, I think we don't need to resort to name calling and vitriol.  We don't know what goes on behind closed doors or practices.  There are dynamics of handling young people that Shaw has to deal with, and there may be things that we aren't aware of, reasons why he might not have changed QBs already.  It's easy to play armchair coach and it's part of the fun of being a fan. 

But it should remain fun.  Please remember that it is a game after all.  College sports is obviously a big business now, and we have become a player in the arms race so to speak, but I don't want us to become like an SEC school where winning comes at all costs including fair play and our mission as a university.  Would I be happy with a national championship in basketball at Stanford if it was achieved like Calipari does it?  No, I would not.  I am proud of my school for recruiting real student-athletes, for not having early-entry so freshmen can go to spring camps (and thereby costing them the last part of their senior year in HS), for enticing recruits on the basis of getting a world-class education, and not for some dubious perks of fancy uniforms or facilities or payments under the table. 

And I want us to win so badly, if not just for the fact to show that it can be done, that we don't have to lower our academic standards to compete, that you can win a national championship in football at Stanford.  For our seniors in particular, I've been as disappointed as anyone by our losses this year, but let's not let our passion for the game turn into misguided maliciousness towards our own.  We expect our players and coaches to represent Stanford with class, and we should hold ourselves to those same lofty expectations.  We can voice our opinions without getting personal.  As was recently coined, we win with character and cruelty, but with all the personal attacks, we are losing our character and only keeping the cruelty. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9