The CardBoard

Full Version: My god that sucked everything sucked my god what was that
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
(10-28-2012, 09:10 AM)double e dub link Wrote:I recall the press conference where he said all the fans were ready to bronze Nunes' arm after the the team Under Stanford Control game...no fans said anything like that!  We all - at least on this board and in the stands - agreed that Nunes still sucks.

That is inaccurate (unless you saw a different press conference I did) - Shaw said that it would be premature to crown Nunes after the USC game. He did not say fans were ready to bronze his arm.

If you think it can't be worse at QB, take a look at Sean Mannion yesterday. He threw 4 interceptions, which likely cost OSU the game. Nunes was not good, but he did not turn the ball over, which was just enough to win. If Nottingham had come in and thrown two quick interceptions, would you still have thought it was the right call?
(10-28-2012, 09:10 AM)double e dub link Wrote:I recall the press conference where he said all the fans were ready to bronze Nunes' arm after the the team Under Stanford Control game...no fans said anything like that!  We all - at least on this board and in the stands - agreed that Nunes still sucks.

That is inaccurate (unless you saw a different press conference I did) - Shaw said that it would be premature to crown Nunes after the USC game. He did not say fans were ready to bronze his arm.

If you think it can't be worse at QB, take a look at Sean Mannion yesterday. He threw 4 interceptions, which likely cost OSU the game. Nunes was not good, but he did not turn the ball over, which was just enough to win. If Nottingham had come in and thrown two quick interceptions, would you still have thought it was the right call?

Cardinal96

(10-28-2012, 02:37 PM)optimistic link Wrote:If you think it can't be worse at QB, take a look at Sean Mannion yesterday. He threw 4 interceptions, which likely cost OSU the game. Nunes was not good, but he did not turn the ball over, which was just enough to win. If Nottingham had come in and thrown two quick interceptions, would you still have thought it was the right call?

A few points.  Nunes did not turn the ball over but that was more due to pure luck.  He was lucky to bounce on his own fumble.  And several throws were horribly off that could have easily been picked.

You mention Sean Mannion.  There a few takeaways from that reference.  First, even after his awful performance last night, you can argue he is having a better season than Nunes.

Mannion.  125/203 (61.6%).  1579 yards (7.78 yards per attempt).  8 TD, 8 INT.  132 rating.
Nunes.  121/230 (52.6% completion percentage).  1620 yards (7.04 yards per attempt).  10 TD, 7 INT.  120 rating.

Oregon State now looks to have a QB controversy.  Maybe it is time we had one as well.

Cardinal96

(10-28-2012, 02:37 PM)optimistic link Wrote:If you think it can't be worse at QB, take a look at Sean Mannion yesterday. He threw 4 interceptions, which likely cost OSU the game. Nunes was not good, but he did not turn the ball over, which was just enough to win. If Nottingham had come in and thrown two quick interceptions, would you still have thought it was the right call?

A few points.  Nunes did not turn the ball over but that was more due to pure luck.  He was lucky to bounce on his own fumble.  And several throws were horribly off that could have easily been picked.

You mention Sean Mannion.  There a few takeaways from that reference.  First, even after his awful performance last night, you can argue he is having a better season than Nunes.

Mannion.  125/203 (61.6%).  1579 yards (7.78 yards per attempt).  8 TD, 8 INT.  132 rating.
Nunes.  121/230 (52.6% completion percentage).  1620 yards (7.04 yards per attempt).  10 TD, 7 INT.  120 rating.

Oregon State now looks to have a QB controversy.  Maybe it is time we had one as well.
oman is right.  Leach was doing that for many years in the Big 12, and it won't be fun for the rest of the Pac-12 when he starts getting recruits.
oman is right.  Leach was doing that for many years in the Big 12, and it won't be fun for the rest of the Pac-12 when he starts getting recruits.

JohnOlenchalk

And Riley pulled MANNION for a while too...

JohnOlenchalk

And Riley pulled MANNION for a while too...
Just a reminder that since Stanford had a coach under center last year, this is effectively Shaw's redshirt freshman year as a head coach, from the offensive side of the ball.  Stanford is 6-2 and the defense is even better than last year.  And the Rose is within reach.

I'm really pleased to be 6-2 when we lost a QB like Luck.  So far he's playing even better than I thought he would and I think he's gonna be better than Elway.  Look at what he's doing with the Colts. I know it's early but he's already won more games than Commercial Boy's first season.  He's got the Colts in playoff contention with overall inferior talent than last year's 2-14 team.  And a head coach on sick leave the past 2 games. Amazing.

We should be happy to be 6-2, disappointed we lost 2 winnable games.  But optimistic about the future and expect, no, demand the highest level of achievement on the field in future seasons.
Just a reminder that since Stanford had a coach under center last year, this is effectively Shaw's redshirt freshman year as a head coach, from the offensive side of the ball.  Stanford is 6-2 and the defense is even better than last year.  And the Rose is within reach.

I'm really pleased to be 6-2 when we lost a QB like Luck.  So far he's playing even better than I thought he would and I think he's gonna be better than Elway.  Look at what he's doing with the Colts. I know it's early but he's already won more games than Commercial Boy's first season.  He's got the Colts in playoff contention with overall inferior talent than last year's 2-14 team.  And a head coach on sick leave the past 2 games. Amazing.

We should be happy to be 6-2, disappointed we lost 2 winnable games.  But optimistic about the future and expect, no, demand the highest level of achievement on the field in future seasons.
Yeah Vaz is starting next week too. Though Mannion is just coming back from a knee injury ahead of schedule, so hard to fault that too much.
Yeah Vaz is starting next week too. Though Mannion is just coming back from a knee injury ahead of schedule, so hard to fault that too much.
No. You've reminded me this is all Luck's fault. After all, he had a year of eligibility left. A real Stanford guy would offer to give the money back and rejoin us for the last four games.
No. You've reminded me this is all Luck's fault. After all, he had a year of eligibility left. A real Stanford guy would offer to give the money back and rejoin us for the last four games.
I recall that Vaz's team and Gaffney's squared off in the finals of the California HS playoffs.

It was a track meet with Vaz throwing for something like 400 yds and Gaffney running for 300.

Gaffney's team won. Hopefully we would have a similar outcome.
I recall that Vaz's team and Gaffney's squared off in the finals of the California HS playoffs.

It was a track meet with Vaz throwing for something like 400 yds and Gaffney running for 300.

Gaffney's team won. Hopefully we would have a similar outcome.
(10-28-2012, 08:58 AM)Oasis link Wrote:

I've been reading a great book about Hannibal, the Carthaginian general of the 3rd century B.C. ("The Ghosts of Cannae" by Robert O'Connell.)  Hannibal's whole art of war was built on deception and surprise -- and using his disparate forces (Gauls, Iberians, Libyans, Numidians, Carthaginians) to take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  I may send a copy to Coach Shaw, who is starting to look like the predictable Roman generals whose heads ended up in Hannibal's trophy case.

I couldn't help but laugh to myself when reading this.  The thing that saved Rome during the second Punic War was when, after suffering multiple major defeats, Quintus Fabius was appointed dictator.  He realized the weaknesses of the Roman forces, and unlike his hot-headed predecessors avoided pitched battles with the Carthaginians.  Instead, he avoided direct battle, played conservatively, played not to lose.  It essentially gave Rome a full year without a major defeat and saved the city when another crushing blow would likely have allowed Hannibal to finish off the Romans.  Of course, most of the senators in Rome, we'll call them fans, derided the conservative approach despite the fact that it was working in weakening the foreign army, and eventually replaced Fabius (after forgetting how much losing sucked).  They then went on to suffer the worst defeat of the war (Cannae).

Sometimes, when you don't match up well with your opponent, maybe a conservative approach is best... :P
(10-28-2012, 08:58 AM)Oasis link Wrote:

I've been reading a great book about Hannibal, the Carthaginian general of the 3rd century B.C. ("The Ghosts of Cannae" by Robert O'Connell.)  Hannibal's whole art of war was built on deception and surprise -- and using his disparate forces (Gauls, Iberians, Libyans, Numidians, Carthaginians) to take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  I may send a copy to Coach Shaw, who is starting to look like the predictable Roman generals whose heads ended up in Hannibal's trophy case.

I couldn't help but laugh to myself when reading this.  The thing that saved Rome during the second Punic War was when, after suffering multiple major defeats, Quintus Fabius was appointed dictator.  He realized the weaknesses of the Roman forces, and unlike his hot-headed predecessors avoided pitched battles with the Carthaginians.  Instead, he avoided direct battle, played conservatively, played not to lose.  It essentially gave Rome a full year without a major defeat and saved the city when another crushing blow would likely have allowed Hannibal to finish off the Romans.  Of course, most of the senators in Rome, we'll call them fans, derided the conservative approach despite the fact that it was working in weakening the foreign army, and eventually replaced Fabius (after forgetting how much losing sucked).  They then went on to suffer the worst defeat of the war (Cannae).

Sometimes, when you don't match up well with your opponent, maybe a conservative approach is best... :P
Winning the way Shaw has with this offense won't do much good long-term.
20K in the stands ==> program death.

But more immediately, I'm not convinced that our offense HAS to be this crappy with this personnel.  Are you?
Winning the way Shaw has with this offense won't do much good long-term.
20K in the stands ==> program death.

But more immediately, I'm not convinced that our offense HAS to be this crappy with this personnel.  Are you?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9