The CardBoard
Other Recruiting WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, August 13 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Other Recruiting WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, August 13 (/showthread.php?tid=16051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, August 13 - BobK - 05-25-2018

Updated October 13

2020:

COMMIT: Jana Van Gytenbeek 5-7 Guard Colorado. Ranked # 30

COMMIT:   Cameron Brink 6-4 Post / Forward  Oregon ranked #3

Dalayah Daniels, 6-3 Post Washington.  Ranked # 14 in her class

Commit: Agnes Emma-Nnopu 6-0 Wing Australia

2021: 
COMMIT: Brooke Demetre, 6-3 Wing, CA Ranked # 4 in her Class 

Sonia Citron, 6-1 Wing, NY Ranked # 16.  OFFER MADE  Averaged 13 Points in the recent 16U world Tournament.  

Azzi Fudd, 5-11 Guard VA, ranked # 1 in her Class Per Jan 10 story we have offerred or shown great interest.

Talia Von Oelhoffen:, 5-11 Wing Washington, # 10 ESPN  

Jzaniya Harriel, 5-10 Guard. Nor Cal, top 2021 in Nor Cal, no longer top 60

Amari DeBerry, 6'5" Post NY, # 5 player in the 2021 class.

Lealani Falatea - 5-8 Guard, Utah NR

Jada Malone – 6-3 Post, Texas HoopGurlz #36, Prospectsnation #17

Khylee Pepe, 6-0 Guard SoCal - NR

Caroline Ducharme, 6-1 Wing MA – Prospectsnation #22, Bluestar #7, ESPN 41

Payton Verhulst, 6-1 Guard, Kansas, ranked # 8 HoopGurlz, On the National 16U team

Olivia Miles, 5-10 PG NJ Ranked # 2

Greta Kampschroeder, 6-0 Wing, IL, ranked # 12

2022:
Kiki Rice Guard from DC. Ranked # 6  Niece of Susan.   Kiki visited recently  On the Nation 16U team.

Timea Gardiner, 6-2 4/5 Utah On the National 16U team, ranked # 5  Offer made to Gardiner

Londynn Jones, 5-5 PG, SoCal ranked # 7

Maya Nnaji, 6-4 Post Mn ranked #8

Lauren Betts, 6-7 Post Co Ranked # 1

2023:
Judea Watkins, 6-0 Wing Windward HS in August. Youngest player at the recent 16U tryouts.  Ranked top 25

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BostonCard - 05-25-2018

Can you remind us how many scholarships are likely to be available for each year?

Thanks...

BC

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - 2006alum - 05-25-2018

2019: 4 (replacing Smith, Sniezek, Romano, and Coffee)

2020: 4 (replacing Carrington, Fingall, Wilson, and Brewer). This assumes Anna Wilson doesn't seek and get a medical 5th-year. If she does, we could only be looking at 3.

2021: 4 (replacing Williams, Dodson, Jerome, and Moschkau -- hard to believe we're already looking at recruiting their replacements!)

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BobK - 05-25-2018

Under the present rules Wilson would not be eligible for a redshirt.   But never say never

Story on Bigby a 2021 potential

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/centennial-girls-point-guard-already-has-colleges-calling/amp/

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - TheFarm07 - 05-27-2018

Article on the latest commit Fran Belibi:

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/23612971/viral-dunker-stanford-cardinal-commit-fran-belibi-usa-basketball-trials?addata=espnw:womenbb:index

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BobK - 05-28-2018

I couldn’t post about this post before. It’s now public 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1001116478157008897

Final 18 for the 17U team. 7 on our list and our commit Belibi

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/05/wu17-trials-18-finalists.aspx

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - mbdude - 05-28-2018

Cameron Brink article
https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/top-2020-recruit-brinks-recruitment-a-family-affair-for-uconn/278559836

Amihere, Jones official visits to ND in September

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - 2006alum - 05-28-2018

Great to hear about Prechtel - top 25 in ESPNW and at 6'5" could be our post player should Amihere not come through. We really need some height in our 2019/20 classes given the losses of Smith, Coffee, and Fingall over those two years. We'll just have Dodson who can play the 5 after 2020...

I will take it as a good sign that Cameron Brink's mother is Steph Curry's godmother. Stanford is an evening's drive from some Warriors home games. =)

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - TheFarm07 - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 11:26 AM)2006alum Wrote:  Great to hear about Prechtel - top 25 in ESPNW and at 6'5" could be our post player should Amihere not come through. We really need some height in our 2019/20 classes given the losses of Smith, Coffee, and Fingall over those two years. We'll just have Dodson who can play the 5 after 2020...

I will take it as a good sign that Cameron Brink's mother is Steph Curry's godmother. Stanford is an evening's drive from some Warriors home games. =)

I'm curious, with just 2 open spots and seemingly 3 (or more) recruits with offers, is it just a matter of who decides to commit first and the last one is just left out (provided that they all pass admissions)?

So, if one player still wants to take time to decide and visit campuses, etc., but then finds out two others have committed while she's still thinking, it seems like it would be just too bad, you took too long to decide?

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - CompSci87 - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 11:39 AM)TheFarm07 Wrote:  
(05-28-2018, 11:26 AM)2006alum Wrote:  Great to hear about Prechtel - top 25 in ESPNW and at 6'5" could be our post player should Amihere not come through. We really need some height in our 2019/20 classes given the losses of Smith, Coffee, and Fingall over those two years. We'll just have Dodson who can play the 5 after 2020...

I'm curious, with just 2 open spots and seemingly 3 (or more) recruits with offers, is it just a matter of who decides to commit first and the last one is just left out (provided that they all pass admissions)?

So, if one player still wants to take time to decide and visit campuses, etc., but then finds out two others have committed while she's still thinking, it seems like it would be just too bad, you took too long to decide?
There aren't official rules about either offers or commitments, neither are binding, and coaches aren't allowed to comment publicly about unsigned recruits.  Different coaches handle it differently, and it can depend on the situation. I really have no idea what Tara does generally or in this case. Some coaches are said to sometimes do what you described. Another possibility is to be up front and tell a less desired recruit that you'd like to have her but she'll have to wait to see if a slot is available.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BobK - 05-28-2018

Admissions is so often the decider.   Or the famous “no app for you”.   

I believe Belibi breaks our streak of 5 commits prior to admissions.  Bet she has been accepted. 

Brink is a 2020 and that drive from the new Warriors facility in San Francisco is quite short ?

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - chimera - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 12:58 PM)CompSci87 Wrote:  
(05-28-2018, 11:39 AM)TheFarm07 Wrote:  

There aren't official rules about either offers or commitments, neither are binding, and coaches aren't allowed to comment publicly about unsigned recruits.  Different coaches handle it differently, and it can depend on the situation. I really have no idea what Tara does generally or in this case. Some coaches are said to sometimes do what you described. Another possibility is to be up front and tell a less desired recruit that you'd like to have her but she'll have to wait to see if a slot is available.

Years ago, around 2009 I did an interview with Tara about recruiting for that other site we will not mention.  At that time she said, and if I am not quoting I am close, that they only offer the number of scholarships they have, they don't offer more recruits than there are openings.  2009 was a long time ago in the recruiting scene so I don't know if that still stands.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - 2006alum - 05-28-2018

(05-28-2018, 06:19 PM)chimera45 Wrote:  Years ago, around 2009 I did an interview with Tara about recruiting for that other site we will not mention.  At that time she said, and if I am not quoting I am close, that they only offer the number of scholarships they have, they don't offer more recruits than there are openings.  2009 was a long time ago in the recruiting scene so I don't know if that still stands.

The longstanding lore is that no more than 5-10 of the top 100 recruits are even admissible in any given year, so I suspect once the coaches feel out interest, see who wants to take an unofficial visit, etc., there probably aren't many more admissible recruits who want to come than there are spots to offer them. In that sense, our famous academic barriers to entry actually make our coaches' lives easier. I can't imagine how you'd manage that at a school like Oregon, where you're actively seeking most top recruits, you're among the top 20 schools but not exactly UConn, and your admissions standards aren't weeding many out at the starting gate.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BosCard - 05-30-2018

Mark Lewis from Bluestar Media has written capsules on each of the 18 finalists for the U17 team.  Here is what he wrote about Stanford commits (Belibi) and recruits (Brink, Bueckers, Campbell, Fudd, Jones, Osborne):

Fran Belibi– 2019 – 6-1 – Forward – Centennial, Colorado– Stanford commit…Shaping up to be a “true” power forward…Despite being a senior still young as a player…Explosive athlete…Elevates both to score and on the boards…First step has always been strong but is applied with good reads and intent…Physical strength is beyond most with her fame…Doesn’t just rely on physical tools, strong work ethic and effort…Gets out in transition and can run with the guards…Further refinement of interior attack will come…Perimeter form is evolving but still has an occasional forward action…Defensive approach is aggressive with no reservations about mixing things up…Rebounds with authority…Still just scratching the surface

Cameron Brink– 2020 – 6-4 – Forward – Beaverton, Oregon– Added length…Build is still lean but doesn’t shy away from contact…Additional strength will be an asset in the future…Agility is on display more and more…Form and touch are there on the perimeter forcing opposing bigs to close out and become vulnerable…Creating her own looks off short drives and pull ups…Will take it baseline into traffic…Gets out quickly and makes herself an option in transition…Can post up and finish down low…Reads well on the catch and can find open options passing out…Length makes her a factor on the defensive end as does lateral footspeed for size…Again, added strength will be a plus down the road

Paige Bueckers– 2020 – 5-11 – Guard – St. Louis Park, Minnesota – One of the more consistent top performers at the trials…Makes plays off both skills and instincts…Mixes her attack between penetration and an effective pull up…Off the drive delivered some lethal interior passes as the bigs came her way…Changes direction at full speed in transition…Keeps her dribble off the hesitation exploiting defenders reactions…Slender build doesn’t inhibit her in traffic or finishing around the rim…Protects the ball going up…Active defender…Takes chances at time but sees the ball from the weakside and anticipates well…Has the natural knack and intuitive game that you can’t coach

Alli Campbell– 2020 – 6-0 – Guard – Altoona, Pennsylvania– Had some ups and downs throughout the trials but made impressive plays at the right time…Reads the floor as well as anyone…Makes herself a factor in the halfcourt as well as out on the break…Shot is right out front but the touch and release are there to make her a legitimate and proven threat on the wing…Plenty of range is there as an asset too…Showing some added size and additional strength since last summer…Attacks the rim off early entry passes in transition…Understands numbers and defensive rotations for solid shot/pass decisions…Uses that same awareness herself on the other end…Takes a good cushion on close outs against the ultra-quicks…Continues to be a contributor even if the shot is cold on occasion

Azzi Fudd– 2021 – 5-11 – Point Guard – Arlington, Virginia– Depth of her game continues to improve…Not content to let the momentum in her game or skills stagnate…Combination of size and skills makes her a challenge to defend…Pushing the ball at opportunity…Plays with an advanced understanding of the teammates she’s on the floor with…Mixed up perimeter and interior options of her own…Has shown an interest in getting to the rim more and more…Handles contact well and gets the ball off against physical opposition…Eyes are constantly surveying the floor…Talented scorer but aware and willing to give it up as better possibilities evolve…On ball defense is becoming more aggressive and containing…Taking away options and making her match-up work for everything

Haley Jones– 2019 – 6-1 – Guard/Wing – Santa Cruz, California– Another elite representative of “versatility”…Has both length and speed…Combines with a fluid athleticism making her a factor in full and halfcourt…Skills are sharp but magnified even more by an impressive understanding of what’s going on around her…Well coached…Consistent and “level” emotional approach…Not too high on positive, no overreaction to bad…Creating options off the drive as she has in the past…The pull up is second choice to the penetrate and pass…Sees the floor in transition and off the drive in the halfcourt…Crossover and hesitation look even sharper…Form and stroke are sound but base is narrow on her jumper…Calculated defensively…Anticipates one and two passes away…Shows depth in every aspect of the game

Charisma Osborne– 2019 – 5-9 – Guard – Moreno Valley, California– Played some of her best basketball…Speed is deceptive because of the “smooth” approach to her attack…Utilizes both ballskills and ball fakes to get defenders off balance and out of position…Hesitation is serving her well…First step leaves opponents scrambling to recover or calling or help…Can take it all the way to rim or is just as comfortable pulling up in mid-range…Small twist dropping the left foot on her jumper could impact consistency at times…Still knocks down her share…Strength is surprising for size…Good presence on the glass for a guard…Getting more and more physical as an assertive on ball defender…Not an “invitee” but among the elite in the trials

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BosCard - 05-30-2018

Big congrats to Fran Belibi for making the U17 national team.  The Stanford commit joins potential Stanford recruits Brink, Fudd, Jones and Osborne on the team as well.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - 81alum - 06-01-2018

It is all very exciting.  So many very talented players on our lists.  Ashten Pretchel would be terrific, by all accounts. 

By now the coaches probably know enough about all the 2019 prospects to know whether they might be admissible or definitely won't be admissible, so they may make decisions and move on from one player to another as academic information comes to them.

We fans don't have access to that academic information--only what players choose to share publicly, which often is nothing and at other times can be misleading.  Sometimes we find a newspaper article about a player that lists a gpa or somesuch--and those gpas are often old, may be exaggerations by an enthusiastic high school coach, and don't reveal anything about the rigor of the classes.  So we have much less of the relevant information to prognosticate about who we successfully recruit than fans at most other universities. 

That makes our annual guessing came both more exciting--and more frustrating.  Stanford is recruiting players largely on the basis of private (and confidential) information unavailable to us fans.  Like fans everywhere, we can read the basketball reports.  Unlike fans elsewhere, that is not close to being all we need to know. 

For example, has anyone seen anything about Amihere's academics?  She is my number one hope, but I don't  think I have even read an optimistic coach talking about how great she is in the classroom.  I hope she is a 4.0 --but I just don't know.

When a player like Pretchel lists us as one of her three, presumably she knows something about Stanford and she thinks she might have the academics.  But do we know more?  Presumably when there is a visit someone (either the player or the coaches) thinks the player might have the academics.  Presumably when the coaches visit a player we know they think she might be admissible.  And those are the tea leaves we have to work with--not a lot.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BobK - 06-02-2018

Congrats to Jana 

https://mobile.twitter.com/cbc_bball_club/status/1002933428621271040

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - Spiny_Norman - 06-11-2018

Stanford Admissions tells Haley Jones that she has been admitted.

https://twitter.com/allpjay/status/1006221140950306816

Is this a new option for selected student-athletes - complete an admission application for extra early evaluation? Or has this option been available before?

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - BobK - 06-11-2018

For years and years and years Spiney.

RE: Updated Recruiting, May 25 - TheFarm07 - 06-11-2018

(06-11-2018, 11:53 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Stanford Admissions tells Haley Jones that she has been admitted.

https://twitter.com/allpjay/status/1006221140950306816

Is this a new option for selected student-athletes - complete an admission application for extra early evaluation? Or has this option been available before?

On the one hand, it won't be admissions that keeps Haley Jones from coming here.

On the other hand, it won't be admissions that prevents Haley Jones from coming here and we know how much that hurts, as we are not able to bounce back as easily when a top recruit despite gaining admissions, chooses another school (i.e. KLS, Diggins(?)).