The CardBoard
Outside Topic Serra Dorm alumni - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Outside Topic Serra Dorm alumni (/showthread.php?tid=16688)

Pages: 1 2 3

Serra Dorm alumni - 82lsju - 10-29-2018

now is your chance to submit a new name to replace "Serra", I was pondering a few

- Weinhard (our beer of choice)
- Ultimate (our game of choice)
- Fruit Loops (the cereal we had to petition food services to provide)

Submit your nominees by 05 Nov 2018

https://resed.stanford.edu/news/serra-house-renaming-submission-form-0

RE: Serra House alumni - CornFed - 10-29-2018

Can one cast a vote for Serra?

RE: Serra House alumni - Papa John - 10-29-2018

I lived in Serra House in Stern Hall my first two years at Stanford--housing draw was not my forte--from 1980-82. My freshman year our dorm t-shirt had a logo on the back of a Franciscan-type friar with multiple pairs of feet emerging from the bottom of the robe. The caption read "If the Pope only knew."

As a practicing Catholic, I thought it was hilarious and wore the shirt proudly--albeit never to Mass! As a non-native Californian, I had no idea who Junipero Serra was. I've heard and appreciated the arguments on both sides of the issue, but I suppose there is no point in rehashing those since the decision is set in stone.

So the new name that I propose for the-house-formerly-known-as-Serra is: Elway House

RE: Serra House alumni - Spiny_Norman - 10-29-2018

My nomination - Hargdon House

RE: Serra House alumni - 82lsju - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 02:01 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  My nomination - Hargdon House

maybe Hargadon House......

(10-29-2018, 02:44 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

Would that get your vote? If so, yes.

RE: Serra House alumni - Phogge - 10-29-2018

Keep it Serra but name it Tony Serra Hall. Grad of Stanford, didn't get along with Chuck Taylor and quit football. Politically correct naming. Has represented the poor and downtrodden.

How about Que Serra Serra Hall?

RE: Serra House alumni - Phogge - 10-29-2018

Yeah, whatever will be will be.

Thanks Doris Day.

RE: Serra House alumni - 82lsju - 10-29-2018

Animal House......

RE: Serra House alumni - BostonCard - 10-29-2018

Serra McSerraface? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boaty_McBoatface)

The dangers of crowdsourcing names... 

#NameOurDorm

BC

RE: Serra House alumni - winflop - 10-29-2018

There's another dorm named Junipero that I hope they restore to its previous (original?) name that it held when I lived there - Madera.

RE: Serra House alumni - 2006alum - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 06:18 PM)winflop Wrote:  There's another dorm named Junipero that I hope they restore to its previous (original?) name that it held when I lived there - Madera.

Funny story there - Madera still exists, technically. It's still the name of the building that Okada House is in. When you were there, Okada was in the Junipero building, so it went by Okada. Then Okada got relocated for disability access reasons. If you really want Madera back, campaign to have Okada relocated. Go figure...

RE: Serra House alumni - cardcrimson - 10-29-2018

Scrap Serra? How about renaming it Prince Lightfoot?

https://stanforddailyarchive.com/cgi-bin/stanford?a=d&d=stanford19571122-01.2.73

RE: Serra House alumni - winflop - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 06:40 PM)2006alum Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 06:18 PM)winflop Wrote:  There's another dorm named Junipero that I hope they restore to its previous (original?) name that it held when I lived there - Madera.

Funny story there - Madera still exists, technically. It's still the name of the building that Okada House is in. When you were there, Okada was in the Junipero building, so it went by Okada. Then Okada got relocated for disability access reasons. If you really want Madera back, campaign to have Okada relocated. Go figure...

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

Why didn't they just rename Okada to Junipero??? GRRRRRRRRR

RE: Serra House alumni - 2006alum - 10-30-2018

(10-29-2018, 09:25 PM)winflop Wrote:  
(10-29-2018, 06:40 PM)2006alum Wrote:  

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

Why didn't they just rename Okada to Junipero??? GRRRRRRRRR

Apparently, the official building names of dorms are fixed rather deeply in Stanford's rules. This will sound absurd to say, but as a former RA in Wilbur, I know one reason they want to keep the status quo is to preserve the alphabetical order of the 8 Wilbur dorms, starting from Arroyo at 1 o'clock and working your way around clockwise: Arroyo, Cedro, Junipero, Madera/Okada, Otero, Rinconada, Soto, Trancos. 

(That said, I secretly think the Administration used the disability access excuse to get Okada moved to where it would restore the alphabetical naming structure -- it was out of order when it went Okada and then Madera, but what do I know...)

So yeah, technically Madera lives on as Okada, and J-ro has never been, and never will be called, Madera. 

...All of this said, I would seriously donate $100 to Stanford right now if they changed Serra House to (Que Sera,) Sera House. That's brilliant.

RE: Serra House alumni - Papa John - 10-30-2018

(10-29-2018, 02:44 PM)82lsju Wrote:  

Great!

RE: Serra House alumni - terry - 10-31-2018

The Stern dorms were named after figures from California history -- Twain, Burbank, Donner, Larkin, Serra, Muir (now Zapata).

In keeping with the California theme, it might make sense for Serra to be renamed after another figure from California history, possibly one with a Stanford connection. Maybe someone like John Steinbeck or Sally Ride.

More likely, Serra will be renamed after a donor, like the two new dorms in Lagunita Court (Meier and Norcliffe).

RE: Serra House alumni - 82lsju - 10-31-2018

I submitted two names

- Hargadon House

- O'Connor House

I'm sure neither will be selected

RE: Serra House alumni - ColoradoTree - 10-31-2018

(10-31-2018, 10:05 AM)terry Wrote:  The Stern dorms were named after figures from California history -- Twain, Burbank, Donner, Larkin, Serra, Muir (now Zapata).

In keeping with the California theme, it might make sense for Serra to be renamed after another figure from California history, possibly one with a Stanford connection. Maybe someone like John Steinbeck or Sally Ride.

More likely, Serra will be renamed after a donor, like the two new dorms in Lagunita Court (Meier and Norcliffe).

Both Steinbeck and Ride are great ideas, but my goodness, Sally Ride is about as perfect a candidate as there could possibly be. She got four degrees from Stanford (two bachelor's degrees (one in English!), a M.S., and a Ph.D.). And who better to inspire the next generation of Stanford students to reach for the stars than an actual astronaut? She flew a Stanford pennant in space, people! That gets you a darn dorm, I say.