The CardBoard
Directors' Cup 2018-19 Standings - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Directors' Cup 2018-19 Standings (/showthread.php?tid=16937)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 12-02-2018

With the excitement of Big Game, I totally overlooked the first Cup results released Thursday.  They cover only Cross Country and Field Hockey.  Michigan leads with 205 points and Stanford is in fifth place with 150 points for the fifth place finishes by both M and W Cross Country. 

Here's a link: https://nacda.com/documents/2018/11/27/Nov29DIOverall.pdf?id=3391

Based on their respective tournament finishes, WSOC earns 83 points for a third place finish and MSOC earns 73 points for a fifth place finish.  These will be included in the next standings release.

While all of the above teams have earned fewer points than last year, the Fall total should be comparable to last year's as we can expect points from Men's Water Polo, Women's Volleyball, and Football.

MWP plays USC for the national championship at 3 PM PT today.

Geaux Cardinal!  Beat USC!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Farm93 - 12-02-2018

(12-02-2018, 01:37 PM)BigEasyCard Wrote:  With the excitement of Big Game, I totally overlooked the first Cup results released Thursday.  They cover only Cross Country and Field Hockey.  Michigan leads with 205 points and Stanford is in fifth place with 150 points for the fifth place finishes by both M and W Cross Country. 

Here's a link: https://nacda.com/documents/2018/11/27/Nov29DIOverall.pdf?id=3391

Based on their respective tournament finishes, WSOC earns 83 points for a third place finish and MSOC earns 73 points for a fifth place finish.  These will be included in the next standings release.

While all of the above teams have earned fewer points than last year, the Fall total should be comparable to last year's as we can expect points from Men's Water Polo, Women's Volleyball, and Football.

MWP plays USC for the national championship at 3 PM PT today.

Geaux Cardinal!  Beat USC!
2nd Place in water polo offers some nice points, but not quite the desired result.
For the Directors's cup USC and UCLA both will not have football points that would be key for their tally.
Florida and Texas will have strong point totals.
FWIW - In the credit card cup the lower finishes in soccer will hurt as winning counts a lot and those are 3X sports

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 12-03-2018

Add 90 Cup points for MWP's second place finish.  Last year they earned none.  This will offset the slightly reduced results compared to last year for other scoring sports.

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - ColoradoTree - 12-04-2018

I know I can't expect perfection, but we had three fall sports go into the NCAA tournament as the #1 seed--women's soccer, men's water polo (at home, no less), and women's volleyball. Volleyball isn't done yet, and perhaps it's just my sky-high expectations of these Olympic sports, but I thought we'd net a title or two.  We still might get one, and I completely recognize I'm being unreasonable, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.  

My goodness, the expectations this athletic department hath wrought!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - terry - 12-04-2018

(12-04-2018, 03:53 PM)ColoradoTree Wrote:  I know I can't expect perfection, but we had three fall sports go into the NCAA tournament as the #1 seed--women's soccer, men's water polo (at home, no less), and women's volleyball. Volleyball isn't done yet, and perhaps it's just my sky-high expectations of these Olympic sports, but I thought we'd net a title or two.  We still might get one, and I completely recognize I'm being unreasonable, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.  

Yeah, what he said.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Farm93 - 12-04-2018

(12-04-2018, 06:23 PM)terry Wrote:  
(12-04-2018, 03:53 PM)ColoradoTree Wrote:  I know I can't expect perfection, but we had three fall sports go into the NCAA tournament as the #1 seed--women's soccer, men's water polo (at home, no less), and women's volleyball. Volleyball isn't done yet, and perhaps it's just my sky-high expectations of these Olympic sports, but I thought we'd net a title or two.  We still might get one, and I completely recognize I'm being unreasonable, but I can't help feeling a little disappointed.  

Yeah, what he said.
Stanford might "only" get six NACDA top 5 finishes in the fall sports (MXC, WXC, MSoc, WSoc, MWP, WVB). 
Then add in that football could have a 9 win season and field hockey won their division during their regular season.
And all of that together will actually be seen as a disappointing start to the year to many Stanford types. 

Most schools can't begin to match that result since few field all eight.  Still very few programs are going to post more than 2 top 5 finishes, forget 6 with dreams of 7 or 8.

The Big Game win was great, but I was a bit sad knowing how awful the rest of that weekend was for Stanford Athletics.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - 2006alum - 12-05-2018

No denying this weekend was a disappointing one - women's soccer, women's basketball, and men's water polo all got into of immense proportions holes early and couldn't climb out. And yes, we had several no. 1 seeds who didn't deliver.

However, I will say my general sense is that we tend to win more championships when we're NOT the number one seed than when we are (think of all of our women's tennis team's championships as a double-digit seed). This, of course, is because "the field" combined almost always has a better chance of winning than the no. 1 seed, but it's also a good reminder that being seeded no. 1 may only signal somewhere between a 10% and 40% chance of winning depending on the sport (more for smaller fields like water polo, less for big fields with lots of variability, like golf and tennis).

All of which is to say, yes, being seeded no. 1 means we should have the best chance of winning, but that chance may actually be pretty small, and the difference in odds between, say, no. 1 and no. 4 could be very, very small depending on the sport. And I think there's something psychologically impairing about being the no. 1 seed - nothing to gain, and everything to lose. 

Now, having given the woofing gods many mathematical sacrifices, let's hope that clears the way for our women's volleyball team to win as the no. 1 seed!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - ColoradoTree - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 06:20 AM)2006alum Wrote:  However, I will say my general sense is that we tend to win more championships when we're NOT the number one seed than when we are (think of all of our women's tennis team's championships as a double-digit seed). 

I certainly won't refute your general point about the top seed being a psychological burden (that rings true), but specifically as to women's tennis, I'll just point out that the ranking systems (and thus, NCAA seeds) uniquely impact Stanford women's tennis because Coach Lele Forood has her sights trained on winning a national championship every year, so she seems to schedule  just enough good teams to get a Top 16* seed while not overtaxing the players' bodies so they're a bit fresher than other teams for NCAAs. In many of those years, Stanford was still seen as one of the favorites, and was all season long. (For example, Stanford was the preseason #1 team last season. Due to injuries and taking a few losses to good teams, Stanford was ranked and seeded 15th for NCAAs, because our schedule was undeniably lighter than other top teams. But most in the tennis world still figured Stanford was one of the handful of teams that could win it all.)

In other sports, by contrast, NCAA seeding might be more holistically done by a committee trying to assess how good each team is, or polls of media members or coaches will be a big factor in seeding. Tennis just doesn't really have that, and has its BCS-like formula that some teams schedule around, while Lele seems to just want to make sure she gets a Top 16* seed and the home NCAA tournament matches that come with it. So, I'm not sure how useful it is an example of the general point.  

* Note: Since women's tennis is moving to a baseball-like "super regional" format, you now need to have a Top 8 seed to be in line for home matches until you get to the final site (up through last year, a top 16 seed did the trick, as 16 teams made the final site--now, just 8 do). We know Stanford will participate in ITA Kick-Off Weekend and the Indoor Nationals that follow, so that's evidence Lele has altered her approach somewhat. But because the final schedule isn't out yet, we don't know how much the approach is changing. Are we adding those matches to our standard marquee non-conference opponents like Pepperdine, Vanderbilt, Florida, and lately a good Big 12 team (e.g., Oklahoma State or Texas)?  Or are we replacing some or all of those matches with Indoor Nationals? If it's the former, a good season would certainly have us in the Top 8. If it's the latter, then we can't afford more than a loss or two (in addition to cruising through the Pac-12) if we want a Top 8 seed. Some teams already have their schedules published, and we're on Vanderbilt's and Texas's schedules, but for the first time in several years, we're not playing Pepperdine or Florida, which is disappointing. You could make up for that by scheduling a non-conference match with a good Pac-12 team like Cal, USC, or UCLA, but for whatever reason, we've chosen not to do that anymore. (FWIW, Cal, UCLA, and USC all play each other twice this coming season, with just one match against each opponent counting in conference standings. But if the teams are good, they're all valuable for ranking and seeding purposes.) Of course, we might have scheduled a couple of other interesting non-conference matchups against Top 25-level teams, but if Vanderbilt and Texas are it for marquee non-conference matches outside of Indoor Nationals, our margin of error is as thin as usual. And with that, I'll end this particular tangent!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 12-13-2018

Stanford leads D1 with 396 points through the second release of scoring results:

https://nacda.com/news/2018/12/12/directorscup-di-and-naia-learfield-directors-cup-standings-released.aspx?path=directorscup

The Cardinal still have scoring opportunities in WVB and Football and may approach or exceed last year's Fall total of 523 points.  Let's all cheer for WVB in their semifinal match with BYU tonight.

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Canalejas - 12-13-2018

So, in order to exceed last year's fall points total, football has to win its bowl game.  And that's true no matter what happens in the Volleyball semifinals and finals.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 11:29 AM)Canalejas Wrote:  So, in order to exceed last year's fall points total, football has to win its bowl game.  And that's true no matter what happens in the Volleyball semifinals and finals.

Yes.

WVB's potential Cup points range from 83 to 100.  They will boost Stanford's total to between 479 and 496.

Football's most likely points are 25 or 45 unless they move back into the Top 25.  Here are some football scoring details:

RE: 2018-19 Standings - FarmDad.01 - 12-13-2018

In late summer 1997, my ex-wife and I were invited to New York's Harvard Club to a chablis & brie reception for parents of incoming Stanford frosh.

After all the guests noshed a bit, and the canape trays were dwindling, a knife-against-crystal-glass tinkle, and a suit came forward to address the gathering. His opening question: "How did Stanford earn national headlines this year?"

The gathering hesitated, so I piped up, "Tiger Woods (who'd just won the Masters)? Three straight Directors Cup (for collegiate athletic excellence)?"

The suit gave me a pitying glance and proclaimed, "Stanford scientists just discovered life on Mars!"

Sure.

I trust the suit is gone from the Farm. Tiger has had an interesting life. And Stanford has still not surrendered the Directors Cup.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Farm93 - 12-13-2018

(12-13-2018, 04:51 PM)FarmDad.01 Wrote:  In late summer 1997, my ex-wife and I were invited to New York's Harvard Club to a chablis & brie reception for parents of incoming Stanford frosh.

After all the guests noshed a bit, and the canape trays were dwindling, a knife-against-crystal-glass tinkle, and a suit came forward to address the gathering. His opening question: "How did Stanford earn national headlines this year?"

The gathering hesitated, so I piped up, "Tiger Woods (who'd just won the Masters)? Three straight Directors Cup (for collegiate athletic excellence)?"

The suit gave me a pitying glance and proclaimed, "Stanford scientists just discovered life on Mars!"

Sure.

I trust the suit is gone from the Farm. Tiger has had an interesting life. And Stanford has still not surrendered the Directors Cup.

Summer of 1997?  There was only one answer.   Stanford won 6 NCAA team titles that academic year.  Setting a record that still stands.

And FWIW I was able to be in the stands to see 4 of them.  :)

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 12-15-2018

WVB wins a national championship, extends the streak, and earns 100 Cup points bringing the unofficial Fall total to 496.  Congratulations for a great team effort!

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Canalejas - 12-15-2018

Now a bowl game loss will give Stanford 2 fewer points at the end of the fall season than last year, while a bowl game win would put Stanford 18 points ahead of last year's pace, assuming the Cardinal doesn't re-enter the rankings.  

And if Stanford can get ranked 25th, that'd be 22 points ahead of last year with roughly an additional point for every incrementally better spot in the USA Today Poll.  Incidentally, we're the 7th team in the "receiving votes" category, so I'm not sure getting ranked is all that likely.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 01-01-2019

(12-15-2018, 10:34 PM)Canalejas Wrote:  Now a bowl game loss will give Stanford 2 fewer points at the end of the fall season than last year, while a bowl game win would put Stanford 18 points ahead of last year's pace, assuming the Cardinal doesn't re-enter the rankings.  

And if Stanford can get ranked 25th, that'd be 22 points ahead of last year with roughly an additional point for every incrementally better spot in the USA Today Poll.  Incidentally, we're the 7th team in the "receiving votes" category, so I'm not sure getting ranked is all that likely.

Football earns at least 45 points with a win in El Paso, bringing the unofficial Fall total to 541.

A few more points possible with a return, however unlikely, to the Top 25.

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - BigEasyCard - 01-10-2019

Final Fall Standings released today:

https://nacda.com/news/2019/1/9/directorscup-final-fall-di-learfield-directors-cup-standings-released.aspx

Stanford finishes first with 541 points followed by Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin.  

Michigan will eat into our 160 point lead significantly with their currently undefeated Men's Basketball team.

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: 2018-19 Standings - Canalejas - 01-10-2019

The final fall standings came out today.  

https://nacda.com/news/2019/1/9/directorscup-final-fall-di-learfield-directors-cup-standings-released.aspx  

Stanford's score is 541 and has a lead of 160.5 points over 2nd place Michigan.  

Last year at the time, Stanford's score was 523 and the lead was 137 points over 2nd place Penn State.  

Last year's year-end runner-up, UCLA, is 179 points off their pace from last year.  

Last year's year-end 3rd place finisher, Florida, has improved by 33 points compared to this time last year.

Edit: Looks like I was 5 minutes late with my update. Go Stanford.

RE: 2018-19 Standings - terry - 01-10-2019

Thanks to both of you for the update!

My impression is that the Big 10 schools (Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan) tend to fade in the spring, while Florida and UCLA will be stronger as time goes by. I haven't done the research to back up that impression, though.

TreesAndBirds - TreesAndBirds - 01-10-2019

(01-10-2019, 12:55 PM)Canalejas Wrote:  The final fall standings came out today.  

Stanford's score is 541 and has a lead of 160.5 points over 2nd place Michigan.  

Last year at the time, Stanford's score was 523 and the lead was 137 points over 2nd place Penn State.  

Last year's year-end runner-up, UCLA, is 179 points off their pace from last year.  

Last year's year-end 3rd place finisher, Florida, has improved by 33 points compared to this time last year.  

Edit:  Looks like I was 5 minutes late with my update.  Go Stanford.

SEC has no school in top 20. Big 12 has one (Texas).