The CardBoard
OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents (/showthread.php?tid=16954)

Pages: 1 2

OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - cctop - 12-05-2018

Heard a good one yesterday:

Name the four universities that count among their alumni both a quarterback who won a Super Bowl and a U.S. president.

As usual, no fair Googling.

I got just two of them. More knowledgeable people will likely get the 3rd. Doubt anyone will know the 4th.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - BostonCard - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 01:25 PM)cctop Wrote:  Heard a good one yesterday:

Name the four universities that count among their alumni both a quarterback who won a Super Bowl and a U.S. president.

I got just two of them.  More knowledgeable people will likely get the 3rd.  Doubt anyone will know the 4th.

Well, Stanford is easy: Hoover (the US President) and Plunkett is the Super Bowl winner 
Michigan is the other obvious one: Ford was US President, and Brady (and maybe others) was Super Bowl winner 
Given current events, I wouldn't be surprised if Yale was a third; Bush(es) and perhaps others were alumni Presidents, and I wouldn't be surprised if years ago an alum won a Super Bowl, but I don't know of any offhand.

BC

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - French Rage - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(12-05-2018, 01:25 PM)cctop Wrote:  Heard a good one yesterday:

I got just two of them.  More knowledgeable people will likely get the 3rd.  Doubt anyone will know the 4th.

Well, Stanford is easy: Hoover (the US President) and Plunkett is the Super Bowl winner 
Michigan is the other obvious one: Ford was US President, and Brady (and maybe others) was Super Bowl winner 
Given current events, I wouldn't be surprised if Yale was a third; Bush(es) and perhaps others were alumni Presidents, and I wouldn't be surprised if years ago an alum won a Super Bowl, but I don't know of any offhand.

BC

Navy - Carter and Staubach
Miami of Ohio - Ben Harrison and Rothlesberger

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - cctop - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Well, Stanford is easy: Hoover (the US President) and Plunkett is the Super Bowl winner 

Yup, those were the two schools I got.  :-)

Stanford actually has two QB's: Plunkett and Elway.
Michigan has one QB, Brady.
Yale, nope no QB.

And French Rage got the other two!

Knowing that Benjamin Harrison went to Miami of Ohio ranks pretty high on my "obscure knowledge" scale, but then I suppose most of the world would say the same about Herbert Hoover and Stanford.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - French Rage - 12-05-2018

To be fair, this has been a favorite nugget for a friend of mine for years (who is a Steelers fan).

Another good one is naming the 11* FBS schools whose team name doesn't end in "s".

*I might be mis-remembering the exact number, and it might have changed in the years since.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - Phogge - 12-05-2018

Stanford
Navy
Tulane
Bama
Nevada
Syracuse
NC State
Tulsa
Marshall
Domers
Illinois
Got those and had to look up:
UMass

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - SamuelMcF - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 02:10 PM)CornFed Wrote:  Did Calvin Hill win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys?  If so, Yale would be one of the schools.

Yes, but he was a running back.

Phogge, you missed North Texas (Mean Green)!

Wasn't Mean Green Joe's Dad?

So now the number is 13.

Thanks Sam.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - 82lsju - 12-05-2018

what about

North Carolina State Wolfpack

what schools have three nicknames/mascots?

- Georgia Tech - Yellow Jackets/Engineers/Ramblin' Wreck
- Auburn - Tigers/Plainsmen/War Eagle

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - Hank 91 - 12-05-2018

I got Stanford and Michigan pretty quickly, then I thought of Staubach and figured there must've been a president from the Naval Academy. I couldn't think of one, so then I started going back through the presidents. When I got to Carter I realized I had no idea where he had gone to school -- not in a million years would I have thought Navy. If pressed, I probably would've guessed Georgia Tech. So I knew two, got the third with a lucky guess, but Miami of Ohio? Crazy.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - SamuelMcF - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 02:22 PM)82lsju Wrote:  what about

North Carolina State Wolfpack

Phogge said it already.

Re: the SB/President question:
Taft went to U of Cincinnati Law, and Jacky Lee won Super Bowl IV
Nixon went to Duke Law, and Sonny Jurgensen won the 1960 NFL Championship...half credit?
Obama went to Columbia undergrad, and Sid Luckman won 4 NFL Championships (1940,41,43,46)...half credit?

Yeah I think UMass was a recent addition to FBS since before.  Tulsa was the hard one for me.

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - BostonCard - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 02:30 PM)Hank 91 Wrote:  I got Stanford and Michigan pretty quickly, then I thought of Staubach and figured there must've been a president from the Naval Academy. I couldn't think of one, so then I started going back through the presidents. When I got to Carter I realized I had no idea where he had gone to school -- not in a million years would I have thought Navy. If pressed, I probably would've guessed Georgia Tech. So I knew two, got the third with a lucky guess, but Miami of Ohio? Crazy.

Carter was famously a nuclear engineer on subs, so not a surprise he was an Annapolis grad.

BC

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - Spiny_Norman - 12-05-2018

Jimmy Carter is one of 2 US presidents with an engineering degree. Who is the other?

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - cardcrimson - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 03:20 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  
(12-05-2018, 02:30 PM)Hank 91 Wrote:  I got Stanford and Michigan pretty quickly, then I thought of Staubach and figured there must've been a president from the Naval Academy. I couldn't think of one, so then I started going back through the presidents. When I got to Carter I realized I had no idea where he had gone to school -- not in a million years would I have thought Navy. If pressed, I probably would've guessed Georgia Tech. So I knew two, got the third with a lucky guess, but Miami of Ohio? Crazy.

Carter was famously a nuclear engineer on subs, so not a surprise he was an Annapolis grad.

BC

Thought that was his daughter Amy. Oh wait, she was an expert on nuclear proliferation. Never mind.

(12-05-2018, 05:42 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Jimmy Carter is one of 2 US presidents with an engineering degree. Who is the other?

Looked it up, and the correct answer is ZERO.

Carter graduated with an unspecified Bachelor of Science. Hoover had a Geology degree, but went into mining as a mining engineer.

(12-05-2018, 05:42 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Jimmy Carter is one of 2 US presidents with an engineering degree. Who is the other?

Hoover was a mining engineer.  Does that count? (His major at Stanford was geology).

BC

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - BobK - 12-05-2018

He should have studied economics :)

RE: OT: Trivia question about quarterbacks & presidents - Spiny_Norman - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 05:50 PM)BobK Wrote:  He should have studied economics :)

Wait, didn't he study war, peace and revolution?

No but George Washington did.

lex24 - lex24 - 12-06-2018

Hoover is more well known than Harrison. And the Tower helps make the connection.

(12-05-2018, 01:55 PM)cctop Wrote:  
(12-05-2018, 01:51 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Well, Stanford is easy: Hoover (the US President) and Plunkett is the Super Bowl winner 

Yup, those were the two schools I got.  :-)

Stanford actually has two QB's: Plunkett and Elway.
Michigan has one QB, Brady.
Yale, nope no QB.

And French Rage got the other two!

Knowing that Benjamin Harrison went to Miami of Ohio ranks pretty high on my "obscure knowledge" scale, but then I suppose most of the world would say the same about Herbert Hoover and Stanford.