The CardBoard
The coaching carousel - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: The coaching carousel (/showthread.php?tid=16955)

Pages: 1 2

The coaching carousel - BostonCard - 12-05-2018

Colorado now has a head coach.

BC

RE: The coaching carousel - cardcrimson - 12-05-2018

Wow. Didn't his defense cough up a hairball in the 4th quarter against a back up QB in the SEC championship?

RE: The coaching carousel - Spiny_Norman - 12-05-2018

Lance Anderson listed as a possible candidate at Utah State. But no public announcements that they are actually pursuing him as far as I know.

https://mwwire.com/2018/11/30/utah-state-football-coaching-searching/

RE: The coaching carousel - Phogge - 12-06-2018

If offered Lance should take it.

RE: The coaching carousel - PVTree - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 12:01 AM)Phogge Wrote:  If offered Lance should take it.

Who on the staff would be promoted to replace him?

Go outside and find an attacking DC. Take advantage of Reid and the two Foxes.

RE: The coaching carousel - ChicagoCard - 12-06-2018

Mike MacIntyre.

RE: The coaching carousel - cardcrimson - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 12:24 AM)PVTree Wrote:  
(12-06-2018, 12:01 AM)Phogge Wrote:  If offered Lance should take it.

Who on the staff would be promoted to replace him?

Sarcasm at it's finest. . . .

And at the time way over my head. Well played Sir.

If that is what happens, Lance A. leaves and somebody is promoted, then the inside linebackers coach from Palo Alto, disciple of Vic Fangio, has to be the likeliest...

RE: The coaching carousel - French Rage - 12-06-2018

(12-05-2018, 05:34 PM)cardcrimson Wrote:  Wow. Didn't his defense cough up a hairball in the 4th quarter against a back up QB in the SEC championship?

"Wait, you're not supposed to hire a coordinator who blew it in highly-visible championship game as your head coach?

Sincerely,
The 49ers"

RE: The coaching carousel - SamuelMcF - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 09:08 AM)ChicagoCard Wrote:  If that is what happens, Lance A. leaves and somebody is promoted, then the inside linebackers coach from Palo Alto, disciple of Vic Fangio, has to be the likeliest...

So the position coach who I trust least to either develop or recruit his position would be PROMOTED? Hoooo boy.

(12-06-2018, 10:25 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(12-06-2018, 09:08 AM)ChicagoCard Wrote:  If that is what happens, Lance A. leaves and somebody is promoted, then the inside linebackers coach from Palo Alto, disciple of Vic Fangio, has to be the likeliest...

So the position coach who I trust least to either develop or recruit his position would be PROMOTED? Hoooo boy.

Well, as I replied earlier: Mike MacIntyre!

RE: The coaching carousel - slide - 12-06-2018

oh no

RE: The coaching carousel - OutsiderFan - 12-06-2018

I'm as skeptical about Peter Hansen as anyone, but does he get any credit for developing Okereke?

Barton maybe didn't have the burst he once had in his first year back from ACL surgery?

Branch and Perez never developed into any kind of playmakers.

Will be fascinating to see how Miezan develops because he has exceptional athletic ability at his size.

RE: The coaching carousel - BostonCard - 12-06-2018

First, I don’t know why someone’s rampant speculation of what happens in an unlikely hypothetical has become “OMG, Hansen’s going to be promoted to DC”.  Let’s start with the obvious, much as some people may want it to happen, Anderson is a long shot to be picked as a head coach.  Our defense wasn’t that great this year, and I have to believe his allure has dropped.  Second, while Shaw has in the past promoted from within, it doesn’t mean he will promote this time. Shaw is much more wedded to the identity of the offense than he is to the identity of the defense, and our defense is common enough that there are experieced coaches out there who would be a good fit. Even if he does promote one of the assistants to be a DC, it doesn’t mean that it is Hansen. And lastly, even if it were Hansen, the skills required to be an assistant and those required to be a coordinator are different, and it is plausible that a mediocre assistant can be a good coordinator, and that an excellent asssitant (such as Duane Akina) doesn’t get picked to be a coordinator.

I mean I realize this is a message board and that’s par for the course, but the level of freaking out is way disproportionate to the concern this will happen.

BC

And maybe the personnel returning is better suited to 4-3 base.

CardinalSagehen - CardinalSagehen - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 12:07 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  First, I don’t know why someone’s rampant speculation of what happens in an unlikely hypothetical has become “OMG, Hansen’s going to be promoted to DC”.  Let’s start with the obvious, much as some people may want it to happen, Anderson is a long shot to be picked as a head coach.  Our defense wasn’t that great this year, and I have to believe his allure has dropped.  Second, while Shaw has in the past promoted from within, it doesn’t mean he will promote this time.  Shaw is much more wedded to the identity of the offense than he is to the identity of the defense, and our defense is common enough that there are experieced coaches out there who would be a good fit.  Even if he does promote one of the assistants to be a DC, it doesn’t mean that it is Hansen.  And lastly, even if it were Hansen, the skills required to be an assistant and those required to be a coordinator are different, and it is plausible that a mediocre assistant can be a good coordinator, and that an excellent asssitant (such as Duane Akina) doesn’t get picked to be a coordinator.

I mean I realize this is a message board and that’s par for the course, but the level of freaking out is way disproportionate to the concern this will happen.

BC

Inside, second-hand data - stated to me as "I can neither confirm nor deny..." - he's interviewing.  I agree that he may or may not be able to land the job and negotiate the right deal. I'm with those that would bet on the internal backfill promotion, but I share your view that we're not well positioned to judge the merits of each staff member.

So I'm answering your call for less rampant speculation with additional speculation! Except I have a shred of actual data in this case.

RE: CardinalSagehen - Spiny_Norman - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 02:46 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  So I'm answering your call for less rampant speculation with additional speculation! Except I have a shred of actual data in this case.

Boo hiss. Rampant, unsubstantiated speculation is much more fun.

RE: The coaching carousel - BostonCard - 12-09-2018

The Anderson to Utah State was much ado about nothing, unless that was supposed to have been Gary Andersen, with an “e”.

BC