The CardBoard
OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory (/showthread.php?tid=16956)

OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - Embo - 12-05-2018

In a moment almost as dramatic as the finding of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the SF Chronicle has uncovered photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory, a 13-0 drubbing of Alabama (!) on January 1, 1938.  Here's the link.  Yes, the photos are black and white, and the helmets are leather:

Photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory

I then looked for photos of Stanford's last Rose Bowl victory, and hey, they're right here on my iPhone.

RE: OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - BostonCard - 12-05-2018

I do love the fact that it's been so long since Cal won a Rose Bowl that Osci hadn't been "born" yet.

Here's a stat.  Cal's last Rose Bowl victory is closer to the start of the Civil War (77 years) than it is to today (80 years).

BC

RE: OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - Farm93 - 12-05-2018

(12-05-2018, 05:42 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I do love the fact that it's been so long since Cal won a Rose Bowl that Osci hadn't been "born" yet.

Here's a stat.  Cal's last Rose Bowl victory is closer to the start of the Civil War (77 years) than it is to today (80 years).

BC

I looked at the photos and thought, "How could people watching the game on B&W TVs keep track?" before realizing that people didn't have TVs at that time.  First televised Rose Bowl was apparently in 1952.

The newsreels back in early 1938 were likely more focused on Germany's possible invasion of Austria.

RE: OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - Austroturf - 12-07-2018

(12-05-2018, 10:41 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
(12-05-2018, 05:42 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I do love the fact that it's been so long since Cal won a Rose Bowl that Osci hadn't been "born" yet.

BC

I looked at the photos and thought, "How could people watching the game on B&W TVs keep track?" before realizing that people didn't have TVs at that time.  First televised Rose Bowl was apparently in 1952.

The newsreels back in early 1938 were likely more focused on Germany's possible invasion of Austria.

Yes, Cal's last Rose Bowl victory even predates the invasion of Austria (my country of residence) by Hitler Germany.  That's a while back!

RE: OT: SF Chronicle discovers photos of Cal's last Rose Bowl victory - Stymie - 12-07-2018

I suspect if the Chron wants to find an image of Cal beating Stanford in the big game, they will have to search their daguerrotype archives........