The CardBoard
Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell (/showthread.php?tid=16961)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - CardinalSagehen - 12-06-2018

My kids (ages 10 and 8) love Trent Irwin because he's extra generous with his time, very approachable at open house events, always smiling and a fun player to watch. They also like that he's nicknamed "Shaggy" and looks like a surfer dude. 

That's why I was especially bummed to see Trent injured on Saturday. After catching a pass for a first down on the first drive of the game, he was gang-tackled by three Cal defenders, one of whom appeared to dive at the outside of his knee. He stayed in the game to block on the following play, but he didn't look right, and that was the end for him. The sideline reporter indicated a few minutes later that trainers had offered him a knee brace as he headed to the locker room, "crying", presumably knowing that his final Big Game and maybe his Stanford career had ended so suddenly and unexpectedly. 

Injuries are an unavoidable part of the game, but they're especially annoying when they happen to seniors in their final games. The classic case is Mike Mitchell, who blew out both knees in Big Game ~20 years ago on a dirty facemask tackle. As I recall, he was being discussed as a draft-worthy player until that point.

Did anyone hear Irwin's diagnosis yet? I hope it's not too serious and we might somehow see him in the Sun Bowl, although this seems unlikely. If not, I hope he recovers in time to put up good numbers at the Pro Day if that is his goal. Sometimes you can be surprised by the guys that find a way to stick around in the NFL for several years, despite being merely above-average players in college, such as Michael Thomas or Griff Whalen. 

In any case, all the best to Trent! He seems like a real class act!

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - terry - 12-06-2018

At the football banquet on Sunday, Trenton was limping. Not on crutches or in a boot, so far as I could tell.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - ChicagoCard - 12-06-2018

Shaw said Irwin had a chance to play in the bowl game.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - needle - 12-06-2018

I remember standing up and clapping when Mitchell was helped off the field. Too few fans did so, as I recall.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - CornFed - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 06:39 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  My kids (ages 10 and 8) love Trent Irwin because he's extra generous with his time, very approachable at open house events, always smiling and a fun player to watch. They also like that he's nicknamed "Shaggy" and looks like a surfer dude. 

That's why I was especially bummed to see Trent injured on Saturday. After catching a pass for a first down on the first drive of the game, he was gang-tackled by three Cal defenders, one of whom appeared to dive at the outside of his knee. He stayed in the game to block on the following play, but he didn't look right, and that was the end for him. The sideline reporter indicated a few minutes later that trainers had offered him a knee brace as he headed to the locker room, "crying", presumably knowing that his final Big Game and maybe his Stanford career had ended so suddenly and unexpectedly. 

Injuries are an unavoidable part of the game, but they're especially annoying when they happen to seniors in their final games. The classic case is Mike Mitchell, who blew out both knees in Big Game ~20 years ago on a dirty facemask tackle. As I recall, he was being discussed as a draft-worthy player until that point.

Did anyone hear Irwin's diagnosis yet? I hope it's not too serious and we might somehow see him in the Sun Bowl, although this seems unlikely. If not, I hope he recovers in time to put up good numbers at the Pro Day if that is his goal. Sometimes you can be surprised by the guys that find a way to stick around in the NFL for several years, despite being merely above-average players in college, such as Michael Thomas or Griff Whalen. 

In any case, all the best to Trent! He seems like a real class act!

In our house we refer to him as Sunshine per the character in "Remember the Titans".  Great player with a great disposition.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - qwerty49 - 12-07-2018

We may not see the 4 of them on the field together again, but I really enjoyed when KJ would drop back and we had JJAW, Smith, Parkinson and Irwin all in the pattern. This year’s passing game was fun to watch, especially on the intermediate routes. I can’t remember when we had 4 such sure-handed receivers.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - CardinalSagehen - 12-07-2018

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear the injury situation sounds slightly hopeful for Trenton / Shaggy / Sunshine playing in the Stanford uniform one more time.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Stymie - 12-07-2018

Irwin is the answer to the question:

Ou est les Margera d'antan?

Trent

Please recover and give us something else to spend time in front of TV's on Sundays.

Stymie

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - BrevinsBest - 12-07-2018

Linking two posts together, I believe that Sunshine was also BBK's nickname in high school.

In our house we refer to him as Sunshine per the character in "Remember the Titans".  Great player with a great disposition.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Phogge - 12-07-2018

Hulk found Irwin before anybody on TOS. While he never became a great receiver he was very, very good. He could be a good Niners #3 though after today's Chron Bay Area headline and the great Ann Killion's column I would not want my kid to play for them. Better off playing for somebody like Shurmer.

(12-07-2018, 04:17 AM)Stymie Wrote:  Irwin is the answer to the question:

Trent

Please recover and give us something else to spend time in front of TV's on Sundays.

Stymie

It took me a while, and my French is pretty good. 

I think it’s safe to say that you were not referring to Bam Margera from the former MTV show, Jackass! Looks like an auto-correct issue there.  

For others that might have missed it, Stymie compares Trent to Ken Margerum. I know the name from the NFL but was too young to watch him as a Cardinal. Sounds like high praise, though.

(12-07-2018, 04:56 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  

Trent

Stymie

I think it’s safe to say that you were not referring to Bam Margera from the former MTV show, Jackass! Looks like an auto-correct issue there.  

For others that might have missed it, Stymie compares Trent to Ken Margerum. I know the name from the NFL but was too young to watch him as a Cardinal. Sounds like high praise, though.

I think he’s saying the plural of Margerum = Margera 

ie where are the Margerums of yesteryear

Cmon CI - jump in, you paid more attention to Mme Olivier than I did

(12-07-2018, 05:15 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  
(12-07-2018, 04:56 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  

Trent

Stymie

I think he’s saying the plural of Margerum = Margera 

ie where are the Margerums of yesteryear

Cmon CI - jump in, you paid more attention to Mme Olivier than I did

Ah, I see! Too clever for me - didn’t learn me no Latin endings. Excuuuusez-moi for reading it in the singular because he conjugated the French verb that way. ;-)  I shouldn't have assumed his plural pronoun was a mistake, either!

Wow - this is badly OT now! This could be the source of some mockery on other college fan boards. 

Go Trent! Boo injuries to seniors!

Or, I should say, Allez Trent!

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - CowboyIndian - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 05:15 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  Cmon CI - jump in, you paid more attention to Mme Olivier than I did

I don't quite know where to start. If he is pluralizing Margerum then it should be "Ou sont..." That'll get the ball rolling.

PS - Obviously YOU paid more attention because you actually remembered her name after 50+ years. Was she hot?

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Phogge - 12-07-2018

Margerum was an acrobat. A track guy too. Two time Consensus AA. Made Schonert and Elway even better. Da Bears didn't know how to exploit him.

(12-07-2018, 06:24 PM)CowboyIndian Wrote:  
(12-07-2018, 05:15 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  Cmon CI - jump in, you paid more attention to Mme Olivier than I did

I don't quite know where to start. If he is pluralizing Margerum then it should be "Ou sont..." That'll get the ball rolling.

PS - Obviously YOU paid more attention because you actually remembered her name after 50+ years. Was she hot?

She was only hot under the collar when I couldn't answer her questions, which was all the time.  Then it was "Quel dommage!"

Yeah, I think he meant "Ou sont les Margera d'aujourd'hui" == Where are the Margerums of today, makes more sense.

Phogge is right, they don't make 'em the way they used to.

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Nan3cy - 12-07-2018

It always seemed to me that Margerum had a way of making a relatively simple catch look complicated. Like it wasn't any fun if he wasn't laying out in midair to get the pass. Fun to watch, especially with Elway throwing the passes. (It just occurred to me that maybe he did that to avoid getting nailed in the chest with an Elway bullet?)

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - 82lsju - 12-07-2018

(12-06-2018, 07:06 PM)ChicagoCard Wrote:  Shaw said Irwin had a chance to play in the bowl game.

(12-07-2018, 06:44 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Margerum was an acrobat. A track guy too. Two time Consensus AA. Made Schonert and Elway even better. Da Bears didn't know how to exploit him.

see 

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - Red State1 - 12-07-2018

(12-07-2018, 09:04 PM)82lsju Wrote:  
(12-06-2018, 07:06 PM)ChicagoCard Wrote:  Shaw said Irwin had a chance to play in the bowl game.

(12-07-2018, 06:44 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Margerum was an acrobat. A track guy too. Two time Consensus AA. Made Schonert and Elway even better. Da Bears didn't know how to exploit him.

see 

Margerum wasn't that fast. I was there when he ran a couple of 4.7s for NFL scouts. He had a great vertical jump and a deformed finger that he claimed helped him to catch the ball. Also very strong, he could BP 350 lbs. at a body weight of about 180. Crazy fearless, he used to windsurf under the GG Bridge. 

RE: Trent Irwin and Mike Mitchell - BobK - 12-07-2018

However Margerum was a great hurdler That takes speed