The CardBoard
WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis (/showthread.php?tid=16964)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - FarmBoy - 12-09-2018

(12-09-2018, 01:54 PM)BobK Wrote:  McClure is an amazingly gifted athlete and glad your favorite but very physically gifted.  Just not 6-6 or close

What I was trying to say is that she needs to overcome the lack of height/size to excel at her position. It doesn't seem like many OH at her level are "just" 6'0". Perhaps it's less extreme, but Brevin Knight remains one of my all time men's bball players because he didn't fit the mold for D1 point guard and yet was extremely effective by using the physical gifts he had to compensate for the ones he didn't. 

Anyway, can't wait for Thursday night.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - mbdude - 12-09-2018

BYU's Jones-Perry, their best player,  is 6'0. Averages 4.88 kills/set, hits .343. Amazing to watch - great vertical, amazing velocity on kills.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - Spiny_Norman - 12-09-2018

(12-09-2018, 11:19 AM)FarmBoy Wrote:  McClure is my current favorite player on the team. She seems to play well above her physical gifts (not that she's not extremely gifted).

FarmBoy, Meghan McClure has a lot of fans including her sister who is her best friend

I highly recommend this story for everyone. Be sure to have a tissue nearby.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - qwerty49 - 12-10-2018

What a great story, thanks for linking this.  Makes me even more of a McClure fan.  Also, I didn't realize that she and KJ Costello are from the same high school.

(12-09-2018, 10:48 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  
(12-09-2018, 11:19 AM)FarmBoy Wrote:  McClure is my current favorite player on the team. She seems to play well above her physical gifts (not that she's not extremely gifted).

FarmBoy, Meghan McClure has a lot of fans including her sister who is her best friend

I highly recommend this story for everyone. Be sure to have a tissue nearby.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - M T - 12-10-2018

(12-09-2018, 10:50 AM)d4cohn Wrote:  
(12-09-2018, 07:15 AM)M T Wrote:  At the beginning, ESPN highlighted the liberos of each team and promised to give a "dig of the night" (which I don't believe they delivered on).  
I found it odd that they chose that statistic to look at.   Indeed, it is the worst of the major stats for the two teams, when looked at individually or as a team.

Digs may not be one of our better stats, and I can't speak to what the broadcasters did or did not include in terms of stats (I wasn't really paying much attention to the broadcasters, but more the match itself last night), but Morgan Hentz is a pretty incredible libero. The amount of space that she can cover, freeing up additional players to cover the other parts of the court/set up the block, is in my opinion, one of the keys to why our defense is so good and dominant when it gets rolling.

There is no doubt that Morgan Hentz is a great player,  but the stats don't show it.  (Before posting, I looked at digs/opponent's kill attempts, and the numbers didn't stand out.   Maybe I missed something and should look again.)

In a post-game press conference, Penn State coach  Russ Rose said that if he were to pick an MVP for Stanford, it would be Hentz.  She is "the battery that keeps [Stanford] playing at a high level all the time." 

Earlier in the season, in an interview before the Colorado@Stanford game, Hambly said that he believes she's the best libero in college that he's ever seen.  He said he didn't know why a libero can't win player of the year.  "She's the best in her position,  and by a lot."

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - oldalum - 12-10-2018

She IS the best imho, but PSU had some excellent floaty servers that were giving her trouble the first game or two, then she adjusted. The PSU libero was terrific at serve receive, I thought, consistently putting them in system. We were trying to serve away from her most of the time, but she cheated over and covered a lot of ground (like Hentz does). On the winning match point, she floated over and was in position to receive the serve, but the PSU player the serve was aimed at took it anyway and made a terrible pass that resulted in a free ball for us that we converted to win the match.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - d4cohn - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 11:57 AM)M T Wrote:  
(12-09-2018, 07:15 AM)M T Wrote:  At the beginning, ESPN highlighted the liberos of each team and promised to give a "dig of the night" (which I don't believe they delivered on).  
I found it odd that they chose that statistic to look at.   Indeed, it is the worst of the major stats for the two teams, when looked at individually or as a team.

Digs may not be one of our better stats, and I can't speak to what the broadcasters did or did not include in terms of stats (I wasn't really paying much attention to the broadcasters, but more the match itself last night), but Morgan Hentz is a pretty incredible libero. The amount of space that she can cover, freeing up additional players to cover the other parts of the court/set up the block, is in my opinion, one of the keys to why our defense is so good and dominant when it gets rolling.

There is no doubt that Morgan Hentz is a great player,  but the stats don't show it.  (Before posting, I looked at digs/opponent's kill attempts, and the numbers didn't stand out.   Maybe I missed something and should look again.)

In a post-game press conference, Penn State coach  Russ Rose said that if he were to pick an MVP for Stanford, it would be Hentz.  She is "the battery that keeps [Stanford] playing at a high level all the time." 

Earlier in the season, in an interview before the Colorado@Stanford game, Hambly said that he believes she's the best libero in college that he's ever seen.  He said he didn't know why a libero can't win player of the year.  "She's the best in her position,  and by a lot."

On another note, I was stunned at the tone of the PSU coach's comments toward his players. They were a young team and had a great season. If anything, win or lose, I am so glad that, from everything I have seen, Coach Hambly is incredibly respectful with his players and team. There is winning, and then there is winning the right way.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - qwerty49 - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 11:57 AM)M T Wrote:  

Hentz is all-universe.  Period.  As good as Gray and our hitters are, watching Hentz is easily the highlight of any Stanford match.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - FarmBoy - 12-10-2018

(12-10-2018, 03:56 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  Hentz is all-universe.  Period.  As good as Gray and our hitters are, watching Hentz is easily the highlight of any Stanford match.

When Erik Shoji played for the men's team, I found myself watching him instead of the other team's attack/Stanford block. He was a libero who could chance the course of a game with both the outcome of a play and the momentum it created. I'm not sure Hentz is at that level, but she is fun to watch.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - Griffins78 - 12-10-2018

She is at that level and as has been shared many Volleyball experts think so. Karch Kiraly, when he’s been on the announcing team he’s raves about Hentz too.

Single statistics don’t tell the entire story. Stanford leads (or is close) the country in blocks so many of those kill attempts never make it over the net and often when they do make it pass the block it’s because they missed the court altogether or tooled it off the block.

Time and again Morgan gets to balls nobody could get to or would even try and then she doesn’t just save it she often amazingly digs the ball as a great pass to our setter.

We’ve been blessed to have seen some of the best liberos play at Stanford over the years but to me, Morgan Hentz is the best.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - M T - 12-11-2018

As I said, I tried to find some statistic that could demonstrate the quality of Morgan Hentz.  I wondered if Hentz or Stanford made more digs that prevented kills, per opportunity to get a dig.   You could call this a dig percentage.   Blocks by teammates and attack errors by opponents  are factored out, as are the number of sets played,  or even the number of points played.

Unfortunately, I suspect the quality of teammates and opponents affect this number too much for it to be a good measure.  (However, it may be better than total digs or digs/set.)

From the stats, the best way to estimate balls that were eligible to be dug is
  Opponent Kills + Same team digs

For an individual, the best way is
  Opponent Kills + Same team digs -  the individual’s digs

Then compute the ratio of  digs/diggable_balls. Obviously no player has a real chance to get anywhere near all the diggable balls.  The wider a player’s range, the quicker she is, and the smarter she is about being in position should increase this ratio.  

Unfortunately, both the play of her teammates and opponents affect the ratio. If opponents are accurate and strong with their kills, the ratio will go down.  If the opponents hit slow attacks, the ratio goes up. If teammates are good diggers, the individual’s ratio will go down, and vice versa.

For individuals, you need these numbers for the sets in which the individual played. That’s easiest to get if she played in all sets.
Morgan Hentz has played in all 113 sets for Stanford. She’s had 539 digs, or 35.5% of 1518 total digs for Stanford.

Stanford:
 1518 digs / (1307 kills + 1518 digs) = 53.7%

Hentz:
 539 / (1307 + 1518 - 539)   =  23.6%

Stanford’s opponents:
  1404  /  (1693 +  1404)    = 45.3%

——-
The girl with the most digs/set in the NCAA is Kallie Seimet.
She played all 114 sets that her team played and had 768 digs in those sets. (768/2225  =  34.5% of her team’s digs)
Her opponents had  4655 attacks, of which 677 were errors,  and 1436 were kills.
Her team had 32 block errors.

It is no surprise that she had more digs/set when you see the number of attacks.

Team:
 2225/(1436+2225)        = 60.8%

Seimet:
 768/(1436+2225-768)     = 26.5%

So, both Seimet individually and her team dig a higher percentage of dig-able attacks than Hentz and Stanford.

———
The girl in either the PAC-12 or the Big 10 that played every set and had the highest digs/set was Jenna Lerg of Michigan.
She should have played against a similar quality of opponents, and had roughly similar quality of teammates.
Certainly Russ Rose would be familiar with her. Since she’s now a senior,  Hambly would likely be familiar with her too.
She had 594 of her team’s 1923 digs (30.9%)

Michigan:  
  1923/(1510 + 1923)     = 56.0%  (higher  than Stanford)
Lerg:
  594 /(1510 +1923-594)  = 20.9%  (lower than Hentz)
——-

Maybe, just maybe, this stat might be usable within a conference, between two similar quality teams.  But I think we simply have to depend on judgements of experts such as Hambly and Rose.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - BobK - 12-11-2018

Well I already posted this so I’ll just say watch Hentz play. She is awesome. She saves balls that few could get to, let alone save

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - BostonCard - 12-11-2018

Why do you subtract an individual's digable balls from the denominator?  The number you are looking for is the percent of diggable balls that a player digs, as well as the percentage that are dug "in system".  So, based on your numbers, Hentz dug 539/(1307+1518) = 19% of all diggable balls, while Seimet dug 768/(1436 + 2225) = 21% of all diggable balls.

That still doesn't tell the whole story, because the better the libero's teammates are on defense, the better position they will be in to take on attacks that might otherwise only have been saved by the libero.  Moreover, attackers will avoid a very good defender, by, for example, directing more shots down the line.

There really is no easy to calculate statistic that will do a libero justice.  It's sort of like trying to measure defense in baseball using just fielding percentage.  Basically you would need an advanced stat akin to some of the advanced stats that seek to determine the number of runs through defense.

BC

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - M T - 12-11-2018

(12-11-2018, 10:30 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  Why do you subtract an individual's digable balls from the denominator?  The number you are looking for is the percent of diggable balls that a player digs, as well as the percentage that are dug "in system".  So, based on your numbers, Hentz dug 539/(1307+1518) = 19% of all diggable balls, while Seimet dug 768/(1436 + 2225) = 21% of all diggable balls.

There really is no easy to calculate statistic that will do a libero justice.  It's sort of like trying to measure defense in baseball using just fielding percentage.  Basically you would need an advanced stat akin to some of the advanced stats that seek to determine the number of runs through defense.

You're  right.   I should not have subtracted their digs.

Yes, the point was that while some  factors could be accounted for, the best statistic I could come up with, wasn't sufficient to highlight how good Hentz is.

RE: WVolleyball sets new program record with 30 straight wins, advances to NCAA semis - BostonCard - 12-11-2018

Andy Katz and Kathryn Plummer

https://www.ncaa.com/video/volleyball-women/2018-12-11/di-womens-volleyball-kathryn-plummer-stanford-andy-katz

BC