The CardBoard
Bryce Love to play in all star game - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Bryce Love to play in all star game (/showthread.php?tid=17033)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - winflop - 12-23-2018

(12-23-2018, 09:25 AM)BobK Wrote:  Here's my theory:  Love's operation will prohibit him from actually playing but he will be attending.

Quite possible. Also possible that both he and Irvin accepted these invites before Big Game when they were both injured. But at face value it doesn't look good.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - OutsiderFan - 12-23-2018

It's more than a little curious why Love wouldn't be invited to the Senior Bowl, and would go to the same post-season game as Irwin, who is not the same level of prospect Love is.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - 82lsju - 12-23-2018

(12-23-2018, 10:42 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  It's more than a little curious why Love wouldn't be invited to the Senior Bowl, and would go to the same post-season game as Irwin, who is not the same level of prospect Love is.

well he was on their 384 player watch list in Aug.  Also on the list from Stanford were

- JJAW
- Jesse Burkett
- Jake Bailey (he is playing in the Senior Bowl)
- Brandon Fanika
- Alijah Holder
- Bobby Okereke (he is playing in the Senior Bowl)

https://www.seniorbowl.com/watch-list-profiles.php?position=&conference=&s_id=90

the senior bowl website does not list the rosters (or who was invited) but has accepted invites.  The running backs include

Ryquell Armstead - Temple
Myles Gaskin - Washington
Karan Higdon – Michigan (also skipping his bowl game)
Jalin Moore - Appalachian State
LJ Scott - Michigan State
Dexter Williams - Notre Dame

https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites.php?position=RB&conference=&s_id=

a casual look at the list shows some others who are skipping their bowl game who are playing in the senior bowl like the QB and OT from WVU among others.

ADD: from here

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/11/15/2019-nfl-draft-senior-bowl-invite-tracker/

it looks like Senior Bowl invites went out ~13 Nov 2018.

from here it looks like players began accepting invites for the NFLPA Collegiate bowl as early as Nov 5th with a lot of the announcements in the last 10 days.

https://twitter.com/NFLPABowl?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Eembeddedtimeline%7Ctwterm%5Eprofile%3ANFLPABowl&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcollegiate.nflpa.com%2F

More about the NFLPA collegiate bowl

Founded in 2012, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl gives prospective players the best opportunity to showcase their talents to potential employers and fans. Nearly 200 scouts, player personnel staff, general managers and head coaches from all 32 NFL teams are expected be in attendance to watch live practices, conduct player interviews and review tape.
BY THE NUMBERS http://collegiate.nflpa.com/about/ 

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - Austroturf - 12-24-2018

(12-23-2018, 08:28 AM)Mick Wrote:  My theory on why Love is playing in the All-Star game but not the Sun Bowl is that BLove had an amazing year -- last year.  This year, he struggled, and it's certain to affect his draft status.  If he can break one or two long runs during a post-season game AND have a great combine, it might materially improve his draft status.

His odds of breaking the long runs are much higher at the All-Star game, for the following reasons:

1) The All-Star games (by definition) only allow for limited playing time together.
  2)  Certain formations and blitzes are not allowed
  3)  He will be running behind near-All-America players at every position
  4)  The defenses won't just be keying on Love, they'll have to contend with terrific players at every position. 

It makes more sense for Love to participate in the All-Star game.
Yes, these arguments make sense.  Love has had all season to break off long runs behind the lousy run-blocking of our O-line and against defenses laser-focused on him as Shaw's default go-to option.  Now that the offense has adjusted to more pass-heavy play-calling and the run-blocking has not improved, what are the chances he finally rips off two seventy-yard TD runs in the Sun Bowl?  But in the All-Star game, the entire set-up should be a better show-case for his talents.  A couple of impressive runs could really boost his draft-stock; and more scouts will be watching that game than will be watching the Sun Bowl.  Makes sense.  The decision also depreciates the value of all these post-season bowl games.

(12-22-2018, 03:26 PM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  I don't think they are on because ESPN thinks we are stupid. I think they are on because ESPN thinks we would rather watch them than reruns of Gilligan's Island. We'll see what happens, though.

This comment made my day!  Here's a pretty funny clip on the madness of so many bowl games -- and on ESPN of all places!  

Enjoy: 

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - fullmetal - 12-24-2018

There were a bunch of cheap, good tickets on the Stanford side of the stadium still for sale on Friday.  Today, all the great seats have been snapped up -- last minute Christmas shopping?  I think it's a sign of good Stanford demand.

There are still a lot of good tickets in prime locations on the Pitt side of the stadium though...

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - Beeg_Dawg - 12-25-2018

I thought All Star/Senior Bowl games were intended for players whose team did not receive a bowl bid.

Guess they changed the rules for that too.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - Phogge - 12-25-2018

The East West was like that when played at Kezar. Senior Bowl always had bowl players. I think Plunkett played in the Hula Bowl which was the week after the Big Four bowls... Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Orange.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - winflop - 12-26-2018

(12-25-2018, 11:52 AM)Beeg_Dawg Wrote:  I thought All Star/Senior Bowl games were intended for players whose team did not receive a bowl bid.

Guess they changed the rules for that too.

That was in an era with far fewer bowl games. If you applied that criteria today the majority of the draft would be ineligible.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - ColoradoTree - 12-26-2018

I hope he's healed up by the time of the game. 

1. It's totally reasonable that Bryce (or Trenton) didn't think he'd be ready to go by December 31, but figured he'd be good to go by January 19. 

2. More than just the game, it's one week of practices to learn a limited scheme. So, Bryce skipping the Sun Bowl means he doesn't need to grind in bowl practices, and could instead spend most of December focusing purely on recovery and improving his speed and agility, rather than game-planning for Pitt. Makes a ton of sense. 

3. You take a month off to focus on getting right, and you show NFL scouts that you're still the same guy. You do it in limited snaps against limited schemes, but great defensive talent. If it turns out you're not 100% by the time the Collegiate Bowl practices roll around, then you don't participate, but you spend the week meeting with scouts and team executives there. 

4. To be honest, I'm a little shocked Bryce didn't get invited to the Senior Bowl. He's eligible, since he didn't redshirt. But not getting that invite is perhaps a sign of how far his stock has fallen this year. By contrast, last year Stanford saw Harrison Phillips (R3, Bills) get invited to the Senior Bowl, and David Bright (undrafted, unsigned), Peter Kalambayi (R6, Texans), and Daniel Marx (UDFA, didn't make roster) get invited to the Collegiate Bowl. In 2017, Stanford had no Senior Bowl invitees (our star power was in underclassmen Christian McCaffrey and Solomon Thomas), and just Michael Rector (UDFA, didn't make roster) was invited to the Collegiate Bowl. In 2016, Stanford saw Josh Garnett (R1, 49ers), Blake Martinez (R4, Packers), Kevin Hogan (R5, Chiefs), and Kyle Murphy (R6, Packers) get invited to the Senior Bowl, Devon Cajuste (UDFA, 49ers, then Packers practice squad), and Aziz Shittu (UDFA, Eagles/Cowboys practice squads) invited to the East-West Shrine Game (no Stanford players were on the Shrine Game rosters in 2017 or 2018), while just Remound Wright (undrafted, unsigned) got invited to the Collegiate Bowl. The bowl's website itself states that out of 112 players who participated in 2018, 19 got picked in the draft. 17%!  Not a super high percentage!

5. In other words, this is evidence the NFL thinks Bryce is borderline undraftable. It's not the only evidence, certainly, and I'm confident he'll be drafted. But this is a very worrying indicator!

6. So, for me, the takeaway from Bryce deciding to play in this game and not in our bowl game is "holy crap, Bryce would have been a Day 2 pick last year and might not get drafted at all this year; that's how much his decision to come back and get his degree has cost him in the short-term; so I should probably be putting aside any resentment at him not playing in the Sun Bowl and I should root like heck for him to get healthy because it would be a damn shame if we didn't get to see him break long runs on Sundays."

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - CornFed - 12-26-2018

I thought insurance kicked for that kind of drop.  Perhaps "high ankle sprain" isn't the kind of injury covered by these policies.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - JJJ - 12-26-2018

Count me in for the group that wants to see him break long runs on Sundays. He’s special.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - winflop - 12-26-2018

Love didn't even make the trip to El Paso. Shaw said he wanted to, but the medical team didn't think it was safe for him to fly.

That doesn't sound like someone who should be playing in a game 3 weeks later...

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - ColoradoTree - 12-26-2018

(12-26-2018, 01:52 PM)winflop Wrote:  Love didn't even make the trip to El Paso. Shaw said he wanted to, but the medical team didn't think it was safe for him to fly.

That doesn't sound like someone who should be playing in a game 3 weeks later...

Did he use the word safe? I agree, that would suggest a more serious injury than we've been discussing. Hopefully he was just trying to push it onto the medical staff in an attempt to highlight Bryce's team-first bona fides, but we'll see. 

I did see an article a while back that even ankle sprains can increase the risk of blood clots and deep vein thrombosis, so hopefully it was as simple as "he wasn't coming here to play, so because flying has a marginal increased risk of bad things happening that probably wouldn't otherwise happen, let's just leave the kid at home and let him heal up."  

I hope for his sake that he'll be fine, he breaks off a couple of long runs in the Collegiate Bowl, he crushes the Combine, and he reminds everyone how good he can be when he's healthy and has a good line in front of him.

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - d4cohn - 01-11-2019

Well, now we know why there was concern for Bryce even traveling to El Paso:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25737089/bryce-love-recovering-december-surgery-torn-acl

Wish him a speedy and healthy recovery, and all the best professionally (both in NFL and medical school in the future).

This is why I took Bryce, as well as Irwin and Herbig at their word that they were not healthy enough to play in the Sun Bowl (and we still won anyway). Unless people have seen their medical cases, we just don't know what injuries these guys are dealing with (and possibly playing through).

RE: Bryce Love to play in all star game - CTcard - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 11:49 AM)d4cohn Wrote:  This is why I took Bryce, as well as Irwin and Herbig at their word that they were not healthy enough to play in the Sun Bowl

I don't quite remember their word on any of it, explicitly.

Shaw made it quite clear that Irwin and Love were not physically able to play. He embellished their case with a comment that the two of them being heartbroken that they would not be able to play.
Shaw's comments about Herbig were short, but included words to the effect of the reason he would miss the game was "not injury related".