The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 05-13-2019

There is little reason to think that either are considered us or us them

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-13-2019

Yeah, I can't imagine that any brother of Nate Herbig would want to have anything to do with us.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 05-13-2019

(05-12-2019, 03:32 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(05-11-2019, 11:36 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(05-11-2019, 05:58 PM)Goose Wrote:  In short, this "self-sanctioning" argument only works if there is a pool of players out there that want to come to Stanford, are good enough to be a net positive, are good enough to be admitted, but don't come here only because they weren't offered a football scholarship. I am not sure such a pool exists.

It does.

Assuming you are correct, what do you attribute that to?
Lazy recruiting on the part of the coaches?

Guys who live across the country don't want to spend the money to unofficially visit when they don't even have an offer. Big 4* OL Zak Zinter is an example from this cycle alone. It also weeds out recruits whose families can't afford a cross-country plane ticket and accommodations, so is unintentionally discriminating. Remember the official visit is used for the "Big Visit" in January, so any other visits are on the family dime.

(05-12-2019, 05:16 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  OK, this is a little bit intriguing.  Shane Jennings has 0 Power 5 offers, just one D1 offer, and two total.  But the one D1 offer he has is Utah State, and 247 lists his main recruiter there as Mike Sanford.  Utah State is a top MWC program, but obviously Shaw has to have some respect for Sanford.  Jennings is barely a 3 star recruit, though he is labeled a "dual threat" which some have reported is what Stanford wants in a QB this cycle if it brings one in.

His Hudl highlights are meh: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6407609/5c1959b8176cd909c41dc0c0

Doesn't do anything particularly great. Pretty average arm and inefficient throwing motion.  Seems to throw well on the run, has some escapability and decent feet.  Good not great athleticism.  Average speed.  Maybe if he played with better players and against better competition he might get more attention. I'll guess a few coaches have gotten to know the kid, like his mental makeup, and think they can coach him up. But it would certainly be curious to go after an unknown, barely recruited QB in Idaho instead of a legacy national 4-star legacy QB recruit.

Jennings will be a PWO. I'm not sure how much I agree with the staff's desire to pursue a dual-threat QB, but Butterfield is most definitely not one. (Another one visited recently, and is stealth.)

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 02:44 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  Guys who live across the country don't want to spend the money to unofficially visit when they don't even have an offer. Big 4* OL Zak Zinter is an example from this cycle alone. It also weeds out recruits whose families can't afford a cross-country plane ticket and accommodations, so is unintentionally discriminating. Remember the official visit is used for the "Big Visit" in January, so any other visits are on the family dime.

Good point Sam.  I think this is a place where we've been slow in adopting to the times.  Big Visit made sense when the only national signing day was in February, after our big visit.  But with the early signing date, I think it hurts us more than it helps to schedule for January.  I acknowledge that a big visit is nice to develop chemistry and get our future freshmen to know each other, but the drawback to scheduling official visits after pretty much everyone has committed is that they hurt our chances to recruit players who otherwise wouldn't have a chance to see Stanford.  Since we are nowhere near using all our official visits, why not take advantage and bring players who may not be sold and would benefit in being able to see the campus.  We are, in essence, throwing away one of our biggest draws -- the visit itself.  Players will have plenty of time to develop chemistry over the ensuing four years.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-13-2019

The reality is the timetables have accelerated with early signing. Most guys, particularly outside the West Coast don’t want to go on cross country trips to check out schools during their Senior seasons, and the coaching staff doesn’t want to be bothered by recruiting visits during their season either.

You could argue that one of the ways Stanford football knows a recruit is interested is if he takes a visit on his own dime. But there are going to be more guys who would consider Stanford if early official visits were offered, than just those who pay own way. 

It’s frustrating for me because I thought early official visits would be a boon for Stanford as so many guys seemed to not visit before, in part because they were too late to really consider Stanford. You can really sell recruits on doing what they must to get admitted, before their Senior year of high school. Saving official visits for after recruits have signed is just so self-defeating because this prevents Stanford from using official visits as sales pitches. Official visits after signing may be great for the recruits and their families who sign, but it absolutely is not for the Stanford football program.

RE: Class of 2020 - Langdude - 05-13-2019

(05-11-2019, 10:05 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Speaking of 2020 QB’s...

BC

I feel like any time you have the opportunity to nab the fourth best player in the entire state of Idaho, you have to go for it.

-m.

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 05-14-2019

(05-13-2019, 11:47 PM)Langdude Wrote:  

BC

I feel like any time you have the opportunity to nab the fourth best player in the entire state of Idaho, you have to go for it.

-m.

Well, given the fact that Idaho isn't exactly a hotbed of HS football talent, I'm not sure I agree with that.
But if we are getting the kid as a PWO, no harm in it.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 05-14-2019

Maybe the lack of offers means that Shaw wants to return to one platoon football when a coach subs an entire second string that plays both ways in the second quarter. Fewer bodies. Probably only Bobbbbbbbbbbb and I remember when. LOL.

Paul Dietzel broke the mold at LSU. His first string with Billy Cannon played both ways for a quarter then he had a second string offense open the second Q and then would sub in his “ Chinese Bandits” on defense leaving the first string fresh for the second half. There were arcane sub rules that he got around. He won an NC with that approach.

I know nobody around here prefers Harballs but I do. He had a pulse at least.

(05-14-2019, 08:43 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Maybe the lack of offers means that Shaw wants to return to one platoon football when a coach subs an entire second string that plays both ways in the second quarter. Fewer bodies. Probably only Bobbbbbbbbbbb and I remember when. LOL.

Paul Dietzel broke the mold at LSU. His first string with Billy Cannon played both ways for a quarter then he had a second string offense open the second Q and then would sub in his “ Chinese Bandits” on defense leaving the first string fresh for the second half. There were arcane sub rules that he got around. He won an NC with that approach.

I know nobody around here prefers Harballs but I do. He had a pulse at least.

"Chinese Bandits" would probably not be a politically correct term today. I thought it was pretty cool then, too.
I was sorry to see Jimmy H go too but I have gotten over it.
A few Stanford fans haven't.

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 05-14-2019

We have about 55 offers out. Not sure that’s too few

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 10:59 AM)BobK Wrote:  We have about 55 offers out.   Not sure that’s too few

We will know in about 6 months.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - Langdude - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 04:38 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

BC

-m.

Well, given the fact that Idaho isn't exactly a hotbed of HS football talent, I'm not sure I agree with that.

I was being sarcastic. :)

-m.

(05-14-2019, 12:21 PM)Langdude Wrote:  
(05-14-2019, 04:38 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

BC

-m.

I was being sarcastic. :)

-m.

Oh, sorry, Didn't realize that.
Idaho does put out some decent players, just not that many of them. Also, the guy does have some offers.

RE: Class of 2020 - French Rage - 05-14-2019

How much you wanna make a bet he can throw a football over them mountains?

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 05-14-2019

Some guy in a black sweatshirt said that he was, “Fee-nom-inal.”

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 05-15-2019

Speaking of Idaho QB's, IIRC Jake (The Snake) Plummer was very interested in Stanford, but Walsh was more interested in Scott Frost and Tim Carey, two guys that never ended up contributing much to Stanford football.
Who knows, maybe this guy will turn into another Plummer.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 05:48 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  Speaking of Idaho QB's, IIRC Jake (The Snake) Plummer was very interested in Stanford, but Walsh was more interested in Scott Frost and Tim Carey, two guys that never ended up contributing much to Stanford football.

It is far more likely that a player who replicates Jake Plummer's college performance isn't coming from Idaho.  I'll admit I also thought of Jake Plummer, but it is an intellectually lazy comparison. The fact Jennings would be a walk-on pretty much tells you all you need to know. Has Stanford ever had a walk-on QB start a game?  Any time in the last 50 years? 

I'd far rather invest recruiting assets and a scholarship in a QB other Power 5 programs want than I would put in any extra effort to land a guy with 0 other Power 5 offers.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 05-15-2019

Hey Bobbbbbbbb, was Dick Berg a walkon?

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 05-15-2019

(05-15-2019, 06:49 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
(05-15-2019, 05:48 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  Speaking of Idaho QB's, IIRC Jake (The Snake) Plummer was very interested in Stanford, but Walsh was more interested in Scott Frost and Tim Carey, two guys that never ended up contributing much to Stanford football.

It is far more likely that a player who replicates Jake Plummer's college performance isn't coming from Idaho.  I'll admit I also thought of Jake Plummer, but it is an intellectually lazy comparison. The fact Jennings would be a walk-on pretty much tells you all you need to know. Has Stanford ever had a walk-on QB start a game?  Any time in the last 50 years? 

I'd far rather invest recruiting assets and a scholarship in a QB other Power 5 programs want than I would put in any extra effort to land a guy with 0 other Power 5 offers.

This time I was being facetious about this guy becoming another Jake Plummer.
I mentioned Jake Plummer because he was the only QB from Idaho I could think of that had showed interest in Stanford and went on to be highly successful. The fact that his recruitment was more than 25 years ago "pretty much tells you all you need to know".

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 05-15-2019

About positive Berg was not a walk on

But Steve Cottell was. Pretty sure. He may have come to play baseball

RC Owens and Elgin Baylor did quite well at College of Idaho.