The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 05:43 AM)CTcard Wrote:  Okay, I certainly don't know.

I do see things like 247 Sports reporting that Hudson Henry officially visited Stanford on October 6, 2018 - presumably they got confused whether it was an official (i.e. paid for) visit?

+1

yes, we've used in season officials in most years with Shaw.  this is just the latest rationale to justify this position.  much like the evolving positions on Spring Official Visits, "gap" year QB recruiting, etc.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-30-2019

While it is true Stanford has had official visitors during the season instead of January, the real issue here is not official visits before January per se. The real one is resistance to have official visits in Spring and Summer before Senior years, ostensibly because they don't want visitors unless they have been admitted or are very likely to be? That is the real nut to crack in terms of accommodating early visits to maybe take advantage of the sped up recruiting calendar.

Steiner wants to OV over the Spring/Summer and Stanford apparently won't allow it. This could push him away from Stanford because he wants to  make his decision before his Senior season starts and is taking officials to other campuses to help him make his decision.  Of course, the admission question looms large, but why should Shaw not take a Summer OV and get a commitment from a coveted player simply because Shaw is afraid he might not get admitted after he commits?

RE: Class of 2020 - CTcard - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 07:41 AM)slide Wrote:  
(05-30-2019, 05:43 AM)CTcard Wrote:  Okay, I certainly don't know.

I do see things like 247 Sports reporting that Hudson Henry officially visited Stanford on October 6, 2018 - presumably they got confused whether it was an official (i.e. paid for) visit?

+1

yes, we've used in season officials in most years with Shaw.  this is just the latest rationale to justify this position. 

I have to admit, I don't quite understand your post. [To be clear, this is NOT a rhetorical "I don't understand you - you're wrong". I actually am slightly confused - which is likely my own fault.]

You write, "this is just the latest rationale"
What exactly does "this" refer to? Is it the claim by posters that there is a no-in-season-visit policy, or a claim by the football staff that there is a no-in-season-visit-policy, or a claim by recruits that this policy exists?

You write, "to justify this position."
So, which position?
The position by the staff of not allowing in-season officials? The position by posters that we don't allow in-season officials? The position of telling recruits that we don't allow in-season officials when we actually do so?

-----------
I do not feel that my understanding is very good of the staff's position on many issues of recruiting.

With that caveat, I would say I have developed the impression that while the staff prefers recruits to make their official all-together in January, there is leeway for an alternative visit date if the recruit cannot or doesn't want to attend at that time. Now it may be that the degree of leeway scales with the degree of desirability of the recruit, and I don't know how the staff puts off recruits for whom they don't wish to extend this leeway.

Divining what the actual position of the staff really is, probably depends upon the accuracy of reports like that of Henry's official visit last October. But I don't know the accuracy of those reports.

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 05-30-2019

The last date during the summer for official visits is June something. Can’t do in July or all or almost all of August

Agree Football should or must do officials when legal which is in the next week or two

Interesting that WBB and WVB don’t do officials until two months or less before LOI day. Their recruiting is fantastic

MBB does Jr year officials. Lol

Of course Football is different. Just pointing out other thoughts

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 09:04 AM)CTcard Wrote:  Divining what the actual position of the staff really is, probably depends upon the accuracy of reports like that of Henry's official visit last October. But I don't know the accuracy of those reports.

Henry was unofficial. But he "officially" committed to Arkansas shortly after. Lol.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-30-2019

Cal is having four official visitors for 2020 class this weekend. It can be done.

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 04:46 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Cal is having four official visitors for 2020 class this weekend. It can be done.

Literally everyone else does it but us.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 06-03-2019

More on Steiner.  It's almost like Steiner desperately wants Stanford to given him an official visit this Summer and he's getting the Rivals reporters to plan the seeds.  Can you imagine how frustrated Stanford's Georgia area recruiter is over this?  

It's one thing to require higher grades and test scores than anyone else. Then you ask recruits to write essays and get recommendation letters. You won't let them enroll early, and now you want recruits to pay for their own visits before they make a decision to attend your school? More recruits want their college choices made before their Senior seasons. Stanford football has done so much to raise its profile and legitimacy.  Why would they not take advantage of a rule that would seem to absolutely work to their advantage?  I'm just totally exasperated.

Not the latest Steiner update published 6/3:

2. STANFORD

If Stanford was closer, it could very well be considered the frontrunner. As much as Stanford has to offer student-athletes, it is not easy for it to land top Georgia athletes due to distance and the way it handles recruiting. Steiner visited Palo Alto on his own dime early in the spring, but his next visit would be an official. Stanford does not bring student-athletes in for official visits until mid January, so if Steiner wants to return, it will be in 2020. That could really hurt the Cardinal program in this race. Steiner is expected to be committed well before then. Steiner loved the culture, the academics, the setting and more, so Stanford still has a shot, but the slower recruiting process may set them back in this race.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 06-16-2019

Piece on Jones.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/la-sp-brandon-jones-narbonne-stanford-high-school-recruiting-20190614-story.html

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 06-17-2019

Big time LBer with massive offer list.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 12:21 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Big time LBer with massive offer list.

BC

Hopefully he's not looking to OV schools in the Summer to make a decision before his season starts. Either that, or David Shaw realizes the prohibition on Summer visits is self-defeating, and that issue is taken off the table by allowing them.  

It's getting really annoying seeing how many guys Cal is bringing in for OVs this month. I don't follow anyone else's recruiting close enough to know how many other programs are potentially getting the jump on Stanford, but I know Cal is doing very well with them.

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 06-17-2019

(06-17-2019, 12:54 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Hopefully he's not looking to OV schools in the Summer to make a decision before his season starts. Either that, or David Shaw realizes the prohibition on Summer visits is self-defeating, and that issue is taken off the table by allowing them.  

It's getting really annoying seeing how many guys Cal is bringing in for OVs this month. I don't follow anyone else's recruiting close enough to know how many other programs are potentially getting the jump on Stanford, but I know Cal is doing very well with them.

Webb isn't coming here. We're just a notch in his cap before he commits to Clemson/an SEC power.

Cal isn't recruiting a lot of the same guys we are. The Domers, on the other hand, are wiping the floor with us. Crazy what happens when you go undefeated and make the playoff.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 06-17-2019

I count three guys who we've offered and have committed to the Domers: Chris Tyree (RB), Tosh Baker (OT), and Michael Carmody (OT).  Losing two tackles to them is painful.

In contrast, I count two Notre Dame offerees who have committed to us: John Humphreys (WR) and Bryce Farrell (WR).  

The situation may be worse in terms of Stanford offerees who may be leaning towards ND but not yet committed, and of course the caveat always applies that offers aren't always accurate.  For what it is worth, we have a commitment from Myles Hinton at OT, who is ranked higher (#3 OT) than either of the tackles that ND beat us for (but we still need tackles). We do not yet have a commitment from a running back.  Notre Dame has two WR commits, including one (Jordan Johnson) who is more highly rated (#3 WR) than Humphreys or Farrell. 

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 06-19-2019

https://247sports.com/player/rome-odunze-46055828/
Odunze is a 6'2" 200 WR with speed more impressive than his size. 10.67 100m, 21.25 200m. From Bishop Gorman, same HS as incoming also-speed-freak CB Kyu Kelly (they went 1-2 at state track finals). A little surprising that this offer is coming out given the 2 current commits and supposedly good traction with a couple others, but my goodness do I want him. Perhaps we sign 4? And for the love of all that is holy can we treat DL the same way?

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 06-19-2019

If Stanford is offering a 2020 kid in mid-June you would think he has the grades, test scores, and requisite interest, especially when Stanford has two WRs committed in the class already.

Speaking of WR offers, has anyone else besides me noticed Stanford seems to be prioritizing WRs a little more than in the past?  I'm convinced Shaw is evolving to a more pass-oriented offense. I'm hoping having Kyle Shanahan at the Niners starts rubbing off on him.  I love, love, love Shanahan's offense.

RE: Class of 2020 - Bosco - 06-21-2019

New WR commit Silas Starr from Oregon:

https://twitter.com/StarrSilas/status/1142296426442973185

RE: Class of 2020 - Papa John - 06-21-2019

(06-21-2019, 10:19 PM)Bosco Wrote:  New WR commit Silas Starr from Oregon:

Did we just beat out Oregon for a wide receiver recruit from Portland?

RE: Class of 2020 - Bosco - 06-21-2019

(06-21-2019, 10:25 PM)Papa John Wrote:  
(06-21-2019, 10:19 PM)Bosco Wrote:  New WR commit Silas Starr from Oregon:

Did we just beat out Oregon for a wide receiver recruit from Portland?

Yes, while I am not sure if Oregon really cares. They offered 59 WRs for their 2020 class:
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Season/2020-Football/Offers/

Here is the high light from hudl:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7665933/5c04c7d0ff0c390d5c6a2521

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 06-22-2019

Starr is Stanford's lowest rated commit so far.  Does his commitment end Stanford's WR recruiting in 2020?

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 06-22-2019

Of course we just made an offer and have several others out so up in the air. Howver wouldthink we are done.

We now have 10 committs. Hopefully we hear about acceptances soon.