The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 10-12-2019

Cal Rivals board reporting Ron Gould was in Oregon last night to watch Lake Oswego’s Casey Filkins. He is a fast RB in High School who is now committed to Cal as a WR.

Could this mean EJ Smith is out and Stanford is scrambling to find a RB this class, or just being cautious in case Smith evaporates? Nobody has said anything on this board about Filkins, but he has offers from Harvard and Yale in addition to Cal and Oregon.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 10-12-2019

Not inviting Williams back would be the hight of stupidity.

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 10-12-2019

Powell will be back
Hard to believe with all the injuries Hamilton will want to continue. Sad

Smith still a possible.

As to RB don’t forget Peat. He will be a player.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 10-12-2019

(10-12-2019, 08:53 AM)BobK Wrote:  Powell will be back
Hard to believe with all the injuries Hamilton will want to continue.  Sad

Smith still a possible. 

As to RB don’t forget Peat.  He will be a player.

No thoughts on Filkins, specifically, Bob?

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 10-12-2019

My thoughts are Gould there for a reason lol.
Paywall exists outsider

RE: Class of 2020 - Spiny_Norman - 10-17-2019

Another commit. Logan Berzins, OT/DT from San Diego. Chose Stanford over Columbia, Army, Air Force and Kansas. 

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 10-17-2019

(10-12-2019, 10:49 AM)BobK Wrote:  My thoughts are Gould there for a reason lol.
Paywall exists outsider

Yeah, you don't go to the Pacific Northwest in the middle of October to lounge by the swimming pool.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 10-17-2019

(10-17-2019, 12:00 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  Another commit. Logan Berzins, OT/DT from San Diego. Chose Stanford over Columbia, Army, Air Force and Kansas. 

PWO

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 10-17-2019

Pretty high quality for PWO.

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 10-17-2019

(10-17-2019, 08:09 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Pretty high quality for PWO.

Agreed. IMO we should be getting a couple of these "high-quality" PWOs every year - guys with excellent academics and (usually G5) FBS offers. TaeVeon Le and Brock Jones are other recent examples.

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 10-17-2019

It’s now official

https://mobile.twitter.com/cfilk9_/status/1184940248695918592

RE: Class of 2020 - Spiny_Norman - 10-17-2019

(10-12-2019, 03:42 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Cal Rivals board reporting Ron Gould was in Oregon last night to watch Lake Oswego’s Casey Filkins. He is a fast RB in High School who is now committed to Cal as a WR.

Could this mean EJ Smith is out and Stanford is scrambling to find a RB this class, or just being cautious in case Smith evaporates? Nobody has said anything on this board about Filkins, but he has offers from Harvard and Yale in addition to Cal and Oregon.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 10-17-2019

Filkins also got offered by USC today. If past is prologue, Filkins will be farm-bound. He’s more than likely submitted an application to Stanford and will be admitted.

I’m assuming EJ Smith is no longer considering Stanford and Filkins will be the only RB signing this class.

Now, how about a LB, and S please?

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 10-17-2019

(10-17-2019, 04:57 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Filkins also got offered by USC today. If past is prologue, Filkins will be farm-bound. He’s more than likely submitted an application to Stanford and will be admitted.

I’m assuming EJ Smith is no longer considering Stanford and Filkins will be the only RB signing this class.

Now, how about a LB, and S please?

See post 448.  Smith is apparently still considering Stanford, but I'm guessing we want to mitigate the risk that we wind up with none.  Scarlett exhausts eligibility, and Maddox and Speights may or may not be back, so there will be room.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - martyup - 10-17-2019

Filkins looks like a home run.  Check out the video.  He's got a CMAC level jump cut and is lightening fast.  Very exciting if we get him.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2C17jj

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 10-17-2019

Interesting he replied to his own post with #goatanford and #cardclass20

Not what I would expect from a Cal bound player.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 10-22-2019

The recruit I'm most excited about in this class is WR Marvin Mims, who Rivals reports took a trip to Oklahoma last weekend, and should "be watched" now. He is the type of quick twitch speed athlete Stanford never, ever, ever gets at WR.  

He is arguably the best WR in the Dallas area this season. The Rivals story says he'd fit perfectly in Lincoln Riley's offense. If you are a WR, why on Earth would you choose Shaw's out of date, WR unfriendly offense over Riley's QB and WR friendly one? I'm not optimistic we'll see offensive changes that lead to a more dynamic passing offense at Stanford, but there does seem to be more emphasis on WR recruiting, so maybe it's coming?

RE: Class of 2020 - doublespiral - 10-22-2019

(10-22-2019, 06:23 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  The recruit I'm most excited about in this class is WR Marvin Mims, who Rivals reports took a trip to Oklahoma last weekend, and should "be watched" now. He is the type of quick twitch speed athlete Stanford never, ever, ever gets at WR.  

He is arguably the best WR in the Dallas area this season. The Rivals story says he'd fit perfectly in Lincoln Riley's offense. If you are a WR, why on Earth would you choose Shaw's out of date, WR unfriendly offense over Riley's QB and WR friendly one? I'm not optimistic we'll see offensive changes that lead to a more dynamic passing offense at Stanford, but there does seem to be more emphasis on WR recruiting, so maybe it's coming?

On the plus side for Stanford - just from the football perspective - is that OU is absolutely loaded at receiver at the moment. They have three true freshmen 5-stars who were all top-5 WR receiver talents per various recruiting services (Haselwood, Wease & Bridges) and another top-5 true freshman TE (Stogner).

While the offense slings it around a lot, Riley runs a more balanced attack than one might assume of a Leach protégé. OU has an impressive stable of RBs and they pound it plenty. There are only so many touches to go around - and it will be tough to unseat the three guys in the class above.

The counter to this, I suppose, is that those freshmen are all over 6-foot, so maybe Mims represents a quicker, slot-type receiver as a complement to the others. But Riley isn't opposed to splitting out his TEs in the slot on occasion, so one needn't have the frame of Hollywood Brown or Sterling Shepherd to fill that role.

If Mims would be interested in seeing more action earlier and being the proverbial big fish, then Stanford would be a great option for him. I have no insight into how heavily the 40-year decision weighs in his mind, but from a strictly football perspective, there are some positives in Stanford's favor.

rich_matta2@yahoo.com - CardinalSagehen - 10-23-2019

(10-12-2019, 03:42 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
Cal Rivals board reporting Ron Gould was in Oregon last night to watch Lake Oswego’s Casey Filkins. He is a fast RB in High School who is now committed to Cal as a WR.

My family and I were flying to Disneyland from San Jose on the morning of Thursday, October 10, and I was pretty sure I saw Tavita boarding a Southwest flight to Portland. I couldn't be 100% sure because we were around 50 feet away, but the man's profile was a dead ringer, he was around the right height, and he was wearing a Stanford cap at 9AM in the airport. A couple days later, I read your note here that Ron Gould attended Filkins' Friday night game.  But it seems to me like Filkins was getting the full-court press from both Tavita and Gould during our "mini bye" week.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 11-05-2019

update on '20 recruiting:

I guess no multitasking allowed on recruiting trips -- if looking at '20s, no room to also look at '21s