The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 11-12-2019

Sweet. We are on the road to a rebuilt offensive line, and in two to three years, when our current freshmen will be juniors and seniors, we should have quality, depth, and experience.  Let’s not f- it up again by taking a class off on OL.

Of course, in four years our linebackers will be ?

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - CardinalSagehen - 11-13-2019

(11-12-2019, 10:13 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Of course, in four years our linebackers will be ?

I'm sure we'll be able to find a discus thrower somewhere on campus to play linebacker, if need be. We found a guy to back up our OL this year that has never played football in his life played some high school football.  More importantly, he sports a fantastic, prodigious mullet, which is at least half the battle!

In all seriousness, it's a solid class for us. I just wish it had some DE and LB coverage.

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 11-13-2019

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=15406

Actually Koffman Did play football

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 11-14-2019

Bummer.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 11-15-2019

Losing Mims is the first real evidence that Stanford’s atrocious offense might have actually cost it a key recruit. I have no idea what the admissions story is there, but he was easily the player in the class I was most excited about. I guess now it is Myles Hinton?

If you are a WR thinking you are going to the NFL, why would you come to Stanford now? I believe I made this point when Mims committed.

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 03:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Losing Mims is the first real evidence that Stanford’s atrocious offense might have actually cost it a key recruit. I have no idea what the admissions story is there, but he was easily the player in the class I was most excited about. I guess now it is Myles Hinton?

If you are a WR thinking you are going to the NFL, why would you come to Stanford now? I believe I made this point when Mims committed.

Well, I'm sure all our opposing recruiters are saying Stanford is definitely headed back to mediocrity. Do you want to be part of that or come here where you can win championships? It's possible that may work in some cases. I'm sure Hinton is hearing that now from Jimmy H. and a host of other recruiters. The upside with Hinton is that he played with Davis Mills in HS and knows what a team is capable of with Mills at QB.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 03:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Losing Mims is the first real evidence that Stanford’s atrocious offense might have actually cost it a key recruit. I have no idea what the admissions story is there, but he was easily the player in the class I was most excited about. I guess now it is Myles Hinton?

there is more to the story...

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 06:09 AM)slide Wrote:  

More than what, exactly?  Either Mims was an admission casualty, he chose the better football opportunity, or he wants to be closer to home due to some relationship with someone. I'm hoping it wasn't the middle reason. 

It almost seems Stanford has some sort of phobia against quick-twitch athletes with offers from schools like Oklahoma. Deante Gray (TCU), Demetris Robertson (Cal -> UGA)), and now Marvin Mims (OU) all wanted Stanford and none of them ended up there.

RE: Class of 2020 - martyup - 11-15-2019

If a player says that he cares about academics, then choosing OK over Stanford is akin to someone who says they care about culinary excellence choosing Arby's over Lawry's.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 11-15-2019

OK, I've never been to Arby's or Lawry's. Please explain.

However I've been to Norman six times............................

RE: Class of 2020 - donkey687 - 11-15-2019

Do you think JJAW agrees with you?

RE: Class of 2020 - donkey687 - 11-15-2019

Do you think JJAW agrees with you?

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 11-15-2019

I’m excited about John Humphreys

RE: Class of 2020 - qwerty49 - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 08:06 AM)Phogge Wrote:  OK, I've never been to Arby's or Lawry's. Please explain.

However I've been to Norman six times............................

Fast-food shaved RB sandwiches vs aged Prime Rib.  

IIRC Lawry’s used to host the “Beef Bowl” with both teams before the Rose Bowl. Do they still do that?

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 06:47 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  

More than what, exactly?  Either Mims was an admission casualty, he chose the better football opportunity, or he wants to be closer to home due to some relationship with someone. I'm hoping it wasn't the middle reason. 

It wasn't.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 06:47 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  

It almost seems Stanford has some sort of phobia against quick-twitch athletes with offers from schools like Oklahoma. Deante Gray (TCU), Demetris Robertson (Cal -> UGA)), and now Marvin Mims (OU) all wanted Stanford and none of them ended up there.

Probably something available behind a paywall.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - BobK - 11-15-2019

Or just read what Samuel wrote. Yes Mims accepted
As for outsider’s other no no they were not accepted. NOT saying rejected though

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 01:10 PM)BobK Wrote:  Or just read what Samuel wrote. Yes Mims accepted
As for outsider’s other no no they were not accepted.  NOT saying rejected though

So you're saying the problem wasn't admissions, nor was it the fact he thought Oklahoma was a better opportunity.
I assume it was some personal issue, then.
Oh well, win some, lose some.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 03:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  but he was easily the player in the class I was most excited about. I guess now it is Myles Hinton?

Some other guys to get excited about.

Filkins: reminds me a bit of Bryce Love, where if he gets to the second level, he's gone for a touchdown
Humphrys: JJ Arcega-Whiteside, but three inches taller
Farrell: Any WR USC offers after he's verbals to Stanford is probably pretty good (also, both he and Humprhy's were offered by ND)
Philips: I think he can be a disruptor inside
The OL line class as a whole. As I've said, we were in a tough spot last year and this year, but going forward, we will have a very nice combination of quality, experience, and depth on the OL.

Not an exhaustive list, but this is a solid class. Probably the best class since 2017, though I do wish we had a few more defensive players.  My kingdom for a linebacker!

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - cardcoug - 11-16-2019

Another thing to be excited about:

https://twitter.com/KohlsHighlights/status/1195812274725933057?s=19

Karty's ~90 yard kicks.