The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - JustAnotherFan - 02-08-2020

(02-07-2020, 06:54 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(02-07-2020, 03:13 AM)Durty Nelly Wrote:  
(02-06-2020, 05:08 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Stunning offer list... College of Idaho and Whitworth.
 Some good athletes have gone to College of Idaho other than myself.  RC Owens and Elgin Baylor.  But I get your point.

No one is claiming he is the second coming of Andrew Luck or John Elway.

Not a recruited athlete. Won't be taking up a scholarship spot (not that that has been much of an issue for us over the past several years). 

Will be able to throw balls in spring ball so that the coaches can actually run full practices.

Seems like a great situation for everyone involved.

RE: Class of 2020 - Pants - 02-08-2020

(02-08-2020, 12:52 PM)JustAnotherFan Wrote:  Not a recruited athlete. Won't be taking up a scholarship spot (not that that has been much of an issue for us over the past several years). 

Will be able to throw balls in spring ball so that the coaches can actually run full practices.

Seems like a great situation for everyone involved.

Billed as a dual-threat quarterback... I imagine it's often useful to have one of those on the scout team.

RE: Class of 2020 - Papa John - 02-10-2020

According to 247sports.com, it looks like Stanford has ended up with the #3 class w/r/t total points in the Pac-12, well behind Oregon and UW, and #4 class w/r/t total number of 4- and 5-stars (behind UO, UW, ASU). Not scientific, but one barometer of the state of recruiting.

The big surprise, as most folks probably know, is USC, which ended up with only 13 recruits. The breakdown:
QB--7 offers, 0 commits
RB--20 offers (including EJ Smith and Casey Filkins), 0 commits
WR--31 offers (including John Humphreys and Bryce Farrell), 2 commits
TE--7 offers, 1 commit
O-line--41 offers (including Myles Hinton, Connor McLaughlin, Levi Rogers and Drake Metcalf), 6 commits
D-line--21 offers, 3 commits
LB--12 offers, 0 commits
CB--10 offers (including Ayden Hector), 0 commits
S--16 offers (including Alaka'i Gilman), 0 commits
Athlete--7 offers, 0 commits
K--1 offer, 1 commit

FWIW, Stanford's class is #21 nationally.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 02-10-2020

Now that this class is signed, sealed, and delivered, it may be worth unpinning this thread.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - French Rage - 02-10-2020

(02-10-2020, 11:36 AM)Papa John Wrote:  According to 247sports.com, it looks like Stanford has ended up with the #3 class w/r/t total points in the Pac-12, well behind Oregon and UW, and #4 class w/r/t total number of 4- and 5-stars (behind UO, UW, ASU). Not scientific, but one barometer of the state of recruiting.

The big surprise, as most folks probably know, is USC, which ended up with only 13 recruits. The breakdown:
QB--7 offers, 0 commits
RB--20 offers (including EJ Smith and Casey Filkins), 0 commits
WR--31 offers (including John Humphreys and Bryce Farrell), 2 commits
TE--7 offers, 1 commit
O-line--41 offers (including Myles Hinton, Connor McLaughlin, Levi Rogers and Drake Metcalf), 6 commits
D-line--21 offers, 3 commits
LB--12 offers, 0 commits
CB--10 offers (including Ayden Hector), 0 commits
S--16 offers (including Alaka'i Gilman), 0 commits
Athlete--7 offers, 0 commits
K--1 offer, 1 commit

FWIW, Stanford's class is #21 nationally.

Did they just not need that much, or is something rotten?

(02-10-2020, 04:23 PM)French Rage Wrote:  Did they just not need that much, or is something rotten?

Yes.  I think if you look at their offers that's a good gauge.  Going o-fer at QB might make sense given that Sloven is a true sophomore and thus would be the putative starter for the next two years.  On the flip side the top two running backs were juniors.  Among their top five linebackers (in tackles), they feature one senior and four sophomores.  Most of their top DBs are sophomores.  So for at least a couple positions, they will have some major holes in 2-3 years, for which I will play the world's smallest violin.  The gap in defense, especially (3 commits, all on the defensive line) is stunning.

On the other hand, USC can recruit graduate transfers, which could lessen the impact.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - Goose - 02-10-2020

(02-10-2020, 05:24 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Yes.  I think if you look at their offers that's a good gauge.  Going o-fer at QB might make sense given that Sloven is a true sophomore and thus would be the putative starter for the next two years.  On the flip side the top two running backs were juniors.  Among their top five linebackers (in tackles), they feature one senior and four sophomores.  Most of their top DBs are sophomores.  So for at least a couple positions, they will have some major holes in 2-3 years, for which I will play the world's smallest violin.  The gap in defense, especially (3 commits, all on the defensive line) is stunning.

On the other hand, USC can recruit graduate transfers, which could lessen the impact.

BC

The uncertainty at U$C undoubtedly made it very difficult to recruit. For most of the recruiting cycle, it was assumed that Helton would be gone. You would be signing up for a total unknown. When they didn't fire Helton, nobody really knew what to think. Is he a "dead man walking" or not? The assistant coaches undoubtedly had even less job security than Helton, as events proved. No way this was ever going to be a good class for U$C.

(02-10-2020, 05:55 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(02-10-2020, 05:24 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Yes.  I think if you look at their offers that's a good gauge.  Going o-fer at QB might make sense given that Sloven is a true sophomore and thus would be the putative starter for the next two years.  On the flip side the top two running backs were juniors.  Among their top five linebackers (in tackles), they feature one senior and four sophomores.  Most of their top DBs are sophomores.  So for at least a couple positions, they will have some major holes in 2-3 years, for which I will play the world's smallest violin.  The gap in defense, especially (3 commits, all on the defensive line) is stunning.

BC

The uncertainty at U$C undoubtedly made it very difficult to recruit. For most of the recruiting cycle, it was assumed that Helton would be gone. You would be signing up for a total unknown. When they didn't fire Helton, nobody really knew what to think. Is he a "dead man walking" or not? The assistant coaches undoubtedly had even less job security than Helton, as events proved. No way this was ever going to be a good class for U$C.

Hopefully the uncertainty continues through 2021.

For what it is worth, the Stanford class of 2005 (Buddy Teevens' last class) was ranked 5th in the Pac-10, while the class of 2007 (Harris' last class) was 8th in the Pac-10.  USC's is ranked 10th in the Pac-12.  USC was ranked the top recruiting class every year between 2014 and 2018 (and second in 2012, 2013), a period of time where they had two coaching transitions (Kiffin to Sarkisian and Sarkisian to Helton).

Interesting tidbit.  Both Kiffin and Sarkisian were fired after the fifth game of the season.  So, beware the tarmac at LAX on the night of Oct. 2 when the Trojans return from Salt Lake City.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 02-10-2020

Perhaps the gloating is going too far.

SC has a five star QB, a four star OLB and a four star DT already committed for 2021.

Stanford has zero commits at the same stage.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 02-10-2020

(02-10-2020, 07:13 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Perhaps the gloating is going too far.

SC has a five star QB, a four star OLB and a four star DT already committed for 2021.

well, on the bright side, this time last year Bryce Young, the #2 recruit in the nation, was committed to SC.  he is enrolled at Tuscaloosa Tech.

Does the name Max Browne ring a bell?

USC had the top recruiting class in the PAC-12 every single year between 2014 and 2018, and over that span, it had as many Rose Bowl appearances as Stanford did.

Besides, it’s not gloating, is pure unadulterated glee at USC’s misfortune, and if it had been, with USC there can never be too much gloating.  What’s your deal?

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 02-11-2020

My deal BC was always respecting the opponent whether we played SC, Santa Clara when they were a power or Stanford. I will bet that the few Stanford varsity athletes on this board respected their foes.

So they lost Bryce Young. Now they get Garcia next year. And they have Daniels and Slovis now. Slovis wasn’t too bad against Stanford last year, was he?

RE: Class of 2020 - CTcard - 02-11-2020

(02-10-2020, 10:57 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Does the name Max Browne ring a bell?

USC had the top recruiting class in the PAC-12 every single year between 2014 and 2018, and over that span, it had as many Rose Bowl appearances as Stanford did.

Besides, it’s not gloating, is pure unadulterated glee at USC’s misfortune, and if it had been, with USC there can never be too much gloating.  What’s your deal?

BC

Well, until this last post I hadn't seen much glee or gloating over the woes at $C, merely a few posts noting and discussing the reasons for the Pac 12 recruiting story of the year: the team that always has the top recruiting classes has more or less the worst recruiting class (10th 247, 12th Rivals).

At least now it reads more like a partisan sports board.

[Also of note on $C's class is the distribution: 6 OL, 1 TE, 3 DL, 2 WR, 1 K. That's not exactly balanced.
Of course it may be okay for a few reasons. It may match their needs (I am certainly not going to bother researching their roster) and the lines are the most important places not to have holes. ]

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 06:18 AM)CTcard Wrote:  [Also of note on $C's class is the distribution: 6 OL, 1 TE, 3 DL, 2 WR, 1 K. That's not exactly balanced.
Of course it may be okay for a few reasons. It may match their needs (I am certainly not going to bother researching their roster) and the lines are the most important places not to have holes. ]

That's their rationale. Biggest needs are the trenches.

Still, you'd think they would have landed a couple high-profile guys at those spots.

RE: Class of 2020 - Papa John - 02-11-2020

USC is putting lipstick on the pig. The class of 2020 is a stinker of historical proportions. Again per 247sports.com:

2010: 19 enrollees, national rank #2, conference #1
2011: 20, #3, #1
2012: 14, #8, #2
2013: 11, #13, #2
2014: 23, #10, #1
2015: 26, #2, #1
2016: 20, #10, #1
2017: 24, #4, #1
2018: 18, #4, #1
2019: 24, #19, #3
2020: 13, #55, #10

The NCAA-sanctioned classes of 2012 and 2013 had similar numbers, but much higher player ratings. So it's not just lack of quantity, it's lack of quality. Now, the ratings services could have it all wrong (two 4-stars, eleven 3-stars), but USC typically gets recruits who are ranked in the top 20 at their positions. This class has only four players rated in the top 20 (#4 K, #7 WR, #11 TE, #16 OG) and the next highest rated player is a #40 DT.

As Phogge points out, the 2020 class could be an outlier, but what an outlier it is.

RE: Class of 2020 - Spiny_Norman - 02-11-2020

USC is taking action to get back on track, recruiting-wise. They are in the process of hiring away Oregon's #1 recruiter.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2020-02-10/usc-to-hire-recruiter-donte-williams-as-cornerbacks-coach-and-defensive-passing-game-coordinator

RE: Class of 2020 - Goose - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 03:20 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  USC is taking action to get back on track, recruiting-wise. They are in the process of hiring away Oregon's #1 recruiter.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2020-02-10/usc-to-hire-recruiter-donte-williams-as-cornerbacks-coach-and-defensive-passing-game-coordinator

That hire will certainly help them. However, I think U$C recruiting will bounce back big time when (and only when) there is stability and recognized competence in the coaching situation. That could be with Helton if he has a good year this year. Otherwise, it will for sure be with somebody else at a time yet to be determined. U$C has too many advantages to have problems recruiting when the staff is stable.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 02-11-2020

So, what happens if Helton is fired on the Tarmac when coming back from a loss at Utah week five?

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - Goose - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 07:13 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  So, what happens if Helton is fired on the Tarmac when coming back from a loss at Utah week five?

BC

Depends on who they hire. If the next day they announce Urban Meyer (not happening, but for example) or the return of Pete the Cheat, they will have a great recruiting class. If it is somebody you never heard of, much less so. The new AD will have some time to plan his approach. I would imagine he is putting out deniable feelers right now just as a precaution.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 08:03 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(02-11-2020, 07:13 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  So, what happens if Helton is fired on the Tarmac when coming back from a loss at Utah week five?

BC

Depends on who they hire. If the next day they announce Urban Meyer (not happening, but for example) or the return of Pete the Cheat, they will have a great recruiting class. If it is somebody you never heard of, much less so. The new AD will have some time to plan his approach. I would imagine he is putting out deniable feelers right now just as a precaution.

The last two times they have done so (Kiffin and Sarkisian's firings), they promoted an interim coach and then hired the permanent coach after the season.  Sarkisian was hired Dec. 2; Helton was made the permanent coach Nov. 30.  National signing day was Dec. 18 - 20 in 2019 (early period), so if past is prologue the new coach will have 2 - 3 weeks to solidify the recruiting class.

BC