The CardBoard
Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Fball Recruiting Class of 2020 (/showthread.php?tid=17091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Class of 2020 - Mick - 04-28-2019

(04-28-2019, 04:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Has Stanford ever flipped an OU commit? Notre Dame, Michigan, Cal, Washington are the types of schools from which Stanford flips commits.

I would be surprised if anyone committing to Oklahoma is really serious about Stanford, serious enough to fill out a Stanford app, take 2 AP classes, etc.

Glyn Milburn and Chase Beeler, in a manner of speaking.

https://newsok.com/article/3427812/collected-wisdom-with-former-oklahoma-and-stanford-running-back-glyn-milburn

https://newsok.com/article/3427838/stanford-was-a-better-fit-for-ex-sooner-chase-beeler

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 04-28-2019

(04-28-2019, 04:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Has Stanford ever flipped an OU commit? Notre Dame, Michigan, Cal, Washington are the types of schools from which Stanford flips commits.

I would be surprised if anyone committing to Oklahoma is really serious about Stanford, serious enough to fill out a Stanford app, take 2 AP classes, etc.

Well, we sort of flipped Chase Beeler. He debated between Stanford and Oklahoma, chose Oklahoma and then transferred to Stanford after one year.
Similarly with Glyn Milburn.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 04-28-2019

Beeler and Milburn had parental hurdles to overcome on initial choices

RE: Class of 2020 - Mick - 04-28-2019

(04-28-2019, 07:01 AM)slide Wrote:  Beeler and Milburn had parental hurdles to overcome on initial choices

I think lots of recruited athletes have to overcome parental hurdles.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 04-28-2019

Beeler and Milburn do not count.  So I will assume there are no examples of Oklahoma verbal commits flipping to Stanford.

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 04-28-2019

(04-28-2019, 07:33 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Beeler and Milburn do not count.  So I will assume there are no examples of Oklahoma verbal commits flipping to Stanford.

Nope, but a bunch of Texas commits. Although Oklahoma is doing quite well at the moment and Texas was unintentionally going through a 4-year rebuild under Charlie Strong.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-03-2019

Tackle

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 12:04 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Tackle

BC

reports a 4.0 gpa.  ranked in top 125 by 247.  Stanford is his 23rd offer.  per reports, he is already visited Penn State 6 to 8 times, Ohio State numerous times as well as other campuses.  glad we have offered, it is hard to imagine why we wait so long to offer.  earlier than NPF but still dawdling

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 04:15 AM)slide Wrote:  
(05-03-2019, 12:04 AM)BostonCard Wrote:  

Tackle

BC

reports a 4.0 gpa.  ranked in top 125 by 247.  Stanford is his 23rd offer.  per reports, he is already visited Penn State 6 to 8 times, Ohio State numerous times as well as other campuses.  glad we have offered, it is hard to imagine why we wait so long to offer.  earlier than NPF but still dawdling

Is this really a fair criticism?  Consider these two facts:

1. Shaw has made it clear he only wants offers going to guys he is virtually certain can be admitted, and he want them all commitable.
2. Just because an offer hasn't come, it doesn't mean the recruit has been ignored or even slow-played necessarily.

Furthermore, part of a recruitment may involve a Stanford coach coaxing a recruit to do what it takes to get admitted.  So, an alternative view might be that because a recruit gets an offer "only now," it could mean he has now done what it takes for both parties to take each other seriously.

It does seem to me there is a difference between a recruit for say Texas being slow-played without an offer, and a recruit just not getting one yet from Stanford because he hasn't done enough academically or admission-wise to warrant one. Stanford of course has its Plan A, B, and C options like most every other program does, but I don't think Stanford being late to offer is necessarily as bad as being made out to be here, and certainly not worse than not offering more guys period.

247 shows 78 offers made for 2019 recruits.  Only 56 so far for 2020, but Stanford does tend to offer a lot of guys at Summer camps too. Given the class is expected to be larger than usual, it seems a lot more offers are coming over the next couple months.

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 05-03-2019

may be.  judging by twitter follows, Carmody wasn't on our radar until March.  22 offers (many power 5), 4.0 student and a top 125 national recruit.  and in March of his JR year we "discover" him?  and this type of "discovery" unfortunately is not new to the current regime.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 05-03-2019

They don’t have to spray like Harballs but they need to make quicker offers. Plus these kids are going to break up with GF’s, get fired a few times, have a company tank under them and lose parents in their life. Rescinding an offer is another life lesson. They will get over it. And down the road if they don’t do early admits they never will compete for an NC.

RE: Class of 2020 - OutsiderFan - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 04:40 PM)Phogge Wrote:  They don’t have to spray like Harballs but they need to make quicker offers. Plus these kids are going to break up with GF’s, get fired a few times, have a company tank under them and lose parents in their life. Rescinding an offer is another life lesson. They will get over it. And down the road if they don’t do early admits they never will compete for an NC.

This is 100% spot on.  Though I would say they won't even compete for division championships without early entries at some point that may have already even happened.

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 06:10 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Is this really a fair criticism?  Consider these two facts:

1. Shaw has made it clear he only wants offers going to guys he is virtually certain can be admitted, and he want them all commitable.
2. Just because an offer hasn't come, it doesn't mean the recruit has been ignored or even slow-played necessarily.

Furthermore, part of a recruitment may involve a Stanford coach coaxing a recruit to do what it takes to get admitted.  So, an alternative view might be that because a recruit gets an offer "only now," it could mean he has now done what it takes for both parties to take each other seriously.

It does seem to me there is a difference between a recruit for say Texas being slow-played without an offer, and a recruit just not getting one yet from Stanford because he hasn't done enough academically or admission-wise to warrant one. Stanford of course has its Plan A, B, and C options like most every other program does, but I don't think Stanford being late to offer is necessarily as bad as being made out to be here, and certainly not worse than not offering more guys period.

247 shows 78 offers made for 2019 recruits.  Only 56 so far for 2020, but Stanford does tend to offer a lot of guys at Summer camps too. Given the class is expected to be larger than usual, it seems a lot more offers are coming over the next couple months.

Yes, it is a legitimate criticism.  I am a Shaw defender (Shawpologist), but he has been behind the curve in adjusting to the earlier signing date.  The proof is in the fact that we have a half-dozen unused scholarships.  The risks with offering too aggressively are the opportunity costs.  If you offer someone that you later regret you either have to ghost them a la Harbaugh, or take them in and have them use space on the roster that you could have used for someone else.  But, we are far away from there, given that we have unused scholarships, even without managing the roster fifth years.  The other risk the opportunity cost of having to devote resources to managing each players' recruitment and spreading those resources too thin.  Thing is, we already have the fewest offers out there of pretty much any FBS program.

So yes, I think Shaw and staff could afford to be a bit more aggressive with offering more and earlier.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - slide - 05-04-2019

(05-03-2019, 08:20 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Yes, it is a legitimate criticism.  I am a Shaw defender (Shawpologist), but he has been behind the curve in adjusting to the earlier signing date.  The proof is in the fact that we have a half-dozen unused scholarships.  The risks with offering too aggressively are the opportunity costs.  If you offer someone that you later regret you either have to ghost them a la Harbaugh, or take them in and have them use space on the roster that you could have used for someone else.  But, we are far away from there, given that we have unused scholarships, even without managing the roster fifth years.  The other risk the opportunity cost of having to devote resources to managing each players' recruitment and spreading those resources too thin.  Thing is, we already have the fewest offers out there of pretty much any FBS program.

So yes, I think Shaw and staff could afford to be a bit more aggressive with offering more and earlier.

BC

BC -- as you know, an offer is not an admissions slip.  there is still a lot of work to do.  in fact, more work to do than any other school requires.  

we are 8 short of 85 even after some walk-ons given scholarships.  continuing to self-sanction (year 4 or so) is really unfair to the players on the team.

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 05-08-2019

4* CB Brandon Jones has committed!

https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Jones-46036794/

RE: Class of 2020 - BostonCard - 05-08-2019

Nice!  There will be a lot of Ducktears today; I saw on his tweet last night saying that he was going to announce today a lot of green and yellow replies quite confident that he was committing to them.

We will need people to come in after Adebo goes pro.

BC

RE: Class of 2020 - SamuelMcF - 05-09-2019

Another OL offer. Rated a high 3* but his insane offer list scoffs at such a puny rating. From SoCal, and has visited - hopefully visiting again for an upcoming Junior Day.

RE: Class of 2020 - helix - 05-10-2019

Butterfield commits to Oregon.

RE: Class of 2020 - Phogge - 05-10-2019

Butter will be tossing Duck TD’s for three years while McKee is “learning the playbook.” If for some reason McKee chases a girl to Provo or Salt Lake then Shaw will have Sauropod egg on his face. Like in really, really big.

RE: Class of 2020 - JohnR34231 - 05-11-2019

(05-10-2019, 07:59 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Butter will be tossing Duck TD’s for three years while McKee is “learning the playbook.” If for some reason McKee chases a girl to Provo or Salt Lake then Shaw will have Sauropod egg on his face. Like in really, really big.

You forgot winning the H-man.
It is very unlikely McKee won't end up at Stanford, at least IMO. How good he is when he gets here is another question.