The CardBoard
2019 Stanford Football Personnel - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel (/showthread.php?tid=17122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

2019 Stanford Football Personnel - Langdude - 01-04-2019

Bold = starter
Italics = non-scholarship
* = burnt shirt
+ = redshirt game played
() = injured
Redshirt
First Year
Second Year
Third Year
Fourth Year
Quarterback
Jack West
Dylan Plautz
Davis Mills
K.J. Costello
Jack Richardson
Running Back
Austin Jones+++
Nathaniel Peat++
(Justus Woods)
Cameron McFarlane
(Trevor Speights)
Dorian Maddox
Cam Scarlett
Fullback
Jay Symonds
Houston Heimuli
Tight End
Bradley Archer
Tae Le
Tucker Fisk
Kyle McCombs
Colby Parkinson*
Scooter Harrington
Wide Receiver
Elijah Higgins+++
Colby Bowman
Marcus Graham
Diego Preciado
Kale Lucas
Simi Fehoko
Brycen Tremayne
Michael Wilson*
Connor Wedington
OSB
Cameron Buzzell
(Donald Stewart)
Harry Schwartz
IBS
Offensive Tackle
Walter Rouse+++
Branson Bragg+
Barrett Miller++
Wakely Lush
(Grant Pease)
(Foster Sarell)
(Walker Little)*
Offensive Guard
Jake Hornibrook
(Trey Stratford)
Devery Hamilton
Henry Hattis
(Dylan Powell)
Center
Drake Nugent
Drew Dalman

Defensive Tackle
DWP
Michael Williams
Bo Peek
Defensive End
Joshua Pakola
Trey LaBounty
Thomas Booker*
Ryan Johnson
Dylan Boles
Jovan Swann
Thomas Schaffer
Outside Linebacker
Stephen Herron Jr.
Tangaloa Kaufusi
Tobe Umerah
Caleb Kelly
Gabe Reid
Andres Fox*
Caleb Phillips
Thunder Justice Keck
Jordan Fox
Anthony Trinh
Casey Toohill
Inside Linebacker
Tristan Sinclair+
Levani Damuni
Aeneas DiCosmo
(Ricky Miezan)
(JMF)
Jake Lynch
Curtis Robinson
Andrew Pryts
Ryan Beecher
Cornerback
Kyu Blu Kelly+++
Zahran Manley++
STM
Nicolas Toomer
(Ethan Bonner)
Donjae Logan
Paulson Adebo
Obi Eboh
(Treyjohn Butler)
Safety
Jonathan McGill+++
Brock Jones++
Spencer Jorgensen+
Jason Kaul
Kendall Williamson*
(Stuart Head)
Noah Williams
Malik Antoine
J.J. Parson

Kicker
Jet Toner
Collin Riccitelli
Punter
Ryan Sanborn+++
Alex Gracey
Long Snapper
Kyle Petrucci
Richard McNitzky*

Scholarships
Walk-Ons
Players

Total Scholarships: 80 (max 85)
Total Walk-Ons: 22
Total Players: 102

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - d4cohn - 01-04-2019

Thanks for the breakdown langdude. With Barton and Chaffin not being guaranteed returners, on top of the very small number of fourth year players we would have if everyone remaining stayed, coupled with the new redshirt rule and the success of Fox, Wilson, Booker (top Sun Bowl lineman as true frosh) etc., I think we should expect and hope that more and more true freshmen should be playing moving forward. Obviously, Coach Shaw was unlucky with the timing of the redshirt rule change, and this would be one of the more dramatic shifts in program philosophy (up there with the shift toward a pass-first offense this year). 

But with the spate of stars leaving before the expiration of their eligibility in the last three years (CMC, Thomas, Phillips, Reid, Meeks, JJ, Kaden, Herbig etc.), I think we should operate as if that will be the norm moving forward. 

I worry Paulson will be the next to leave before the end of his eligibility, and that we will only get to see him in a Cardinal uniform for two seasons.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - BostonCard - 01-04-2019

I would mentally prepare for Adebo being gone after next year.

BC

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - d4cohn - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 11:41 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I would mentally prepare for Adebo being gone after next year.

BC

Even though I would be sad to see him go, hopefully, he would be a top 10-15 pick when he does decide to leave.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - winflop - 01-05-2019

(01-04-2019, 11:41 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I would mentally prepare for Adebo being gone after next year.

BC

I agree but am more focused on next season than 2020. There are a lot of holes being filled in that roster, which is why I'll be happy if this team wins 7 games next year.

I hope Scarlett is NOT the starting RB and that Speights or Maddox takes that job. Scarlett does not have the speed nor agility that this position requires. If he does win the starting job (i.e., neither Speights nor Maddox takes it from him), that's just another sign to me that this roster is not sufficiently talented to perform at the level we have become accustomed to.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - JohnR34231 - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 03:41 AM)winflop Wrote:  

BC

I agree but am more focused on next season than 2020. There are a lot of holes being filled in that roster, which is why I'll be happy if this team wins 7 games next year.

I hope Scarlett is NOT the starting RB and that Speights or Maddox takes that job. Scarlett does not have the speed nor agility that this position requires. If he does win the starting job (i.e., neither Speights nor Maddox takes it from him), that's just another sign to me that this roster is not sufficiently talented to perform at the level we have become accustomed to.

Well, in 2020 we will be most likely breaking in a new QB and have the unfavorable home/away schedule. (The OOC schedule getting easier is an upside). So I have a hard time seeing that as being much better than 2019. So maybe we should prepare ourselves for a couple of relatively lean years.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - OutsiderFan - 01-05-2019

I'm not buying Josh Pakola will be an OLB.  Stanford has an absolute log-jam at OLB, and hardly any DEs. Making sure he adds weight to play DE would seem to be a strategic imperative for the program.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - Phogge - 01-05-2019

I am hoping that Austin Jones is all he seems to be and comes in and does a Darrin Nelson and starts from Day One.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - winflop - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 08:28 AM)Phogge Wrote:  I am hoping that Austin Jones is all he seems to be and comes in and does a Darrin Nelson and starts from Day One.

I'd love to see it as well, but Shaw doesn't play RBs until they learn his pass blocking schemes. Not something that is typically picked up by the end of fall camp. I can't think of a true frosh who has even gotten snaps in the season opener in an RB role, although I'm sure someone will call me out about one.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - slide - 01-05-2019

Sanborn is a PWO isn't he?

agreed on Pakola, especially when we go 4-2-5.

agreed on Jones.  we need more of a threat at RB.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - Langdude - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 08:45 AM)winflop Wrote:  
(01-05-2019, 08:28 AM)Phogge Wrote:  I am hoping that Austin Jones is all he seems to be and comes in and does a Darrin Nelson and starts from Day One.

I'd love to see it as well, but Shaw doesn't play RBs until they learn his pass blocking schemes. Not something that is typically picked up by the end of fall camp. I can't think of a true frosh who has even gotten snaps in the season opener in an RB role, although I'm sure someone will call me out about one.

Mike Mitchell, IIRC. And Ethan Allen, though he would end up redshirting.

(01-05-2019, 10:12 AM)slide Wrote:  Sanborn is a PWO isn't he?

Yes; his name is italicized. I am guessing that he will be the starting punter, though. I could be wrong about that, either if Charlie Beall is offered the job, or Alex Gracey takes it.

-m.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - McKenwood - 01-05-2019

Thanks Langdude. Your work is really appreciated.

A couple of takeaways.

At 80 scholarships, before off season transfer and injury attrition is a of immense proportions red flag.  Stanford will likely end up at 75 scholarships before some walk-ons are awarded scholarships. Not good and a repeat of 2018. Stanford needs the depth to play its challenging schedule.

Both lines are short players. The defensive line shortfall is particularly galling because Stanford's recent shortcomings on the defensive side can be traced to a lack of bodies and talent. The offensive line, besides QB, is where Stanford should have its greatest recruiting advantage and yet again there is a shortfall in numbers and maybe talent. Stanford's success with walk-ons does not usually include lineman, so recruiting should focus on making sure all the scholarships are allocated the lines (15 OL, 10 DL).

(01-05-2019, 06:19 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  I'm not buying Josh Pakola will be an OLB.  Stanford has an absolute log-jam at OLB, and hardly any DEs. Making sure he adds weight to play DE would seem to be a strategic imperative for the program.

Agreed it would be a smart move. Interestingly, all three of those OLBs are listed as DEs on 247, and yet Stanford lists them all as OLBs. We definitely need DEs a lot more than OLBs in that class.

-m.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - PVTree - 01-05-2019

I also don't see much pass-catching depth at TE behind Parkinson. Hopefully Archer can step up. Our offense seems to be better when we've had at least 2 pass-catching TEs on the field. 

On the other hand, we seem to be getting more, very good WR talent than before so a shift may be taking place in that we'll be putting more 4 wide receiver sets on the field instead of 2 or 3 TE sets.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - Goose - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 03:41 AM)winflop Wrote:  I hope Scarlett is NOT the starting RB and that Speights or Maddox takes that job. Scarlett does not have the speed nor agility that this position requires. If he does win the starting job (i.e., neither Speights nor Maddox takes it from him), that's just another sign to me that this roster is not sufficiently talented to perform at the level we have become accustomed to.
Not sure I agree with this. He isn't Love or CMAC, but I think he has shown he can be a reliable and effective back. He is the kind of guy who can grind out yards, which frankly I think fits Stanford better than the "home run" back model we have been trying to use these last few years. Naturally, you would like to have guys who can do both. However, from what I have seen, I do not think we play as well with Speights out there. I can't say for sure about Maddox, because we haven't seen him play enough to know. I am sure all three will get snaps, but empirically, Scarlett  gets better results.
Scarlett is a real effective pass receiver, which fits our desired style of play. He can run inside and outside effectively, although he does require a better "hole" than Love does. He just seems to get it done when called upon, style points aside. So I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see him out there most of the time.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - JJJ - 01-05-2019

Yikes, what do we do about "Life After Toner"?

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - d4cohn - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 05:01 PM)JJJ Wrote:  Yikes, what do we do about "Life After Toner"?

High School All-American Game kicker (Sanborn) will be coming next year. He punts and kicks FG/XP.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - JJJ - 01-05-2019

(01-05-2019, 07:10 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  
(01-05-2019, 05:01 PM)JJJ Wrote:  Yikes, what do we do about "Life After Toner"?

High School All-American Game kicker (Sanborn) will be coming next year. He punts and kicks FG/XP.

Thanks. Perhaps that could be noted on the chart for novices like me!

(01-05-2019, 08:16 PM)JJJ Wrote:  

He's listed as a punter by the team. For now, that is what he'll be (unless he also handles kick-offs, like Jake), likely next year. After Jet graduates, we'll see if they use Sanborn as a kicker, or if they recruit someone else. I'll bet they recruit a kicker next year to redshirt during Jet's last year, just like he took over for Conrad.

-m.

RE: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel - JJJ - 01-06-2019

(01-05-2019, 11:23 PM)Langdude Wrote:  
(01-05-2019, 08:16 PM)JJJ Wrote:  

He's listed as a punter by the team. For now, that is what he'll be (unless he also handles kick-offs, like Jake), likely next year. After Jet graduates, we'll see if they use Sanborn fas a kicker, or if they recruit someone else. I'll bet they recruit a kicker next year to redshirt during Jet's last year, just like he took over for Conrad.

-m.

Fair enough. Thanks for the bite-sized explanation. I just looked at the blank space after Jet and was a bit alarmed.