The CardBoard
WBB: Stanford 72 ASU 65 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Stanford 72 ASU 65 (/showthread.php?tid=17148)

Pages: 1 2

WBB: Stanford 72 ASU 65 - 81alum - 01-10-2019

Preview:

CTT and ASU are always trouble, and this year will be no different.  Massey has them at 15, they are ranked 19th.  They have had some consistency issues--they took Baylor and Louisville to the wire before losing, but they lost to an increasingly dangerous Arizona squad and scored only 39 points.  The names should be familiar by now--Kianna Ibis (6'1" senior forward) is their leading scorer--she's the one with the perfect step back jumpshot that beat us in Maples a few years back.  Courtney Ekmark (transfered from UConn--6' redshirt senior G/F) is their second leading scorer.  Robbi Ryan and Reili Richardson start also and all four shoot threes in the upper 30% range.  As usual, no starter there gets more than 23 minutes a game as Charlie runs hockey line changes in and out.  This could be a major problem for our depleted team, since ASU's hallmark is its frenetic defense that can be sustained with lost of substitutions.  We could wear down in the fourth quarter unless we get a lot of minutes from Lexie, Anna, Jenna, and maybe even Estella.  I would expect a low scoring game as Tara will figure out how to control Ibis and CTT will figure out how to control Smith.  As usual, keeping Smith out of foul trouble is mission #1.

Overview:

We played three good quarters of basketball--excepting the third--and that was enough to outlast CTT's gritty, defensive ASU squad.  14/14 free throw shooting was decisive, as were important supplemental contributions from Anna Wilson and Lacey Hull to add to the scoring of the big 3 (Smith, Carrington, Williams.)

Character of the game:

Stanford looked like the better defensive team for much of the first half, holding ASU to just 11 points in each of the first two quarters.  This defensive effort helped to offset 10 turnovers and poor defensive rebounding.  The absence of Nadia and Maya were acknowledged to be part of the reason for our rebounding woes by Tara at her halftime interview.   Even so, we were up 34-22 but it certainly did not feel like a comfortable lead.

The wheels nearly fell off in the third quarter, as ASU scored 25 and more than doubled its output for the first two quarters.  Johnson-Chapman started it off by scoring readily in the paint, and Courtney Ekmark finally started to hit her threes.  We also gave up a half a dozen layups in the quarter.  ASU closed the gap to a single point and then Carrington hit a half court shot as time expired to get us out of the disaster up 4.

The fourth quarter was much better.  We started with three unanswered layups by Smith and Lacie, and each time ASU crept back someone made an outstanding play to retain the lead.  Anna Wilson snuck in on a couple of beautiful back door cuts, Alanna Smith made a dagger of a three pointer with 2:05 left, Lacie made a brilliant drive to the basket for a bucket-and-one at 1:33, and everyone make their free throws.  These were all terrific offensive plays made under pressure, with the game on the line, and the team seemed confident.  It was an outstanding finish.

Performances:

We gave up 22 offensive rebounds to ASU, who used them to take a whopping 24 more shots than we did.  However, ASU shot 39% for the game while we shot 52%.   We did cut down on our turnovers from 10 in the first half to 6 in the second

Smith, Carrington, Lacie, and Williams all played more than 30 minutes.  Jerome started but played only 13 minutes.  Anna Wilson got 19, Lexie was up to 15, Coffee 9 and Brown only 3.  I think Anna Wilson is the main story as far as personnel is concerned.  She scored 6 points on 3/5 shooting, including a fast break and a couple of back door cuts, in what I think was her most extensive play this year.

Smith led with 25 points and stayed out of foul trouble until late--exactly like the last game.  I think when she gets fatigued she picks up silly fouls.  But she was 9/15 and made all her free throws.

Carrington was splendid with 17 points and 11 rebounds. 

Williams was quieter than usual, with 10 points, 4 assists and 4 turnovers.  ASU seemed to be able to defend her a bit better than most teams, although she got loose for a couple of fabulous crossover drives to the hoop.

We were 14/19 of our layups, had 32 points in the paint to 28 for ASU, and had 10 bench points--as compared to 0 last game.  The +/- score had Wilson best at 12 and Jerome worst at -7. 

Conclusion:

The third quarter was not pretty, but I am very proud of how this team played and comparing it in my mind to another young team that went to ASU and laid an egg just a few years ago.  There were a half a dozen plays that carried so much emotion that one could say the game turned on them--beginning with Carrington's half court shot at the end of the 3rd.  Each of them must have been demoralizing to ASU and heartening to our team, and we built them into a lead that lasted.

Now, it is on to a surprisingly dangerous Arizona team that just knocked off Cal.  I hope against hope that we don't have a let down against a team that is no longer the conference doormat.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - triangle2 - 01-10-2019

A few questions for the ASU/Arizona weekend:

1. Bench Production: ASU isn't the kind of team that makes it easy for starters to play 35+ minutes. So, the bench production is a big issue (bench total of 38 minutes, 8 points, 6 boards, 4 assists vs. USC,; 24 minutes, 0 points, 3 boards, and 1 assist vs. UCLA). Williams and Smith played 79 minutes last weekend, Lacie 74 minutes. That's obviously not sustainable. Who's going to bring some scoring off the bench?

2. Jerome or Lexie in the starting lineup: I would hazard a guess that there are practical reasons to start Jerome at this point since she's game ready and able to go 20-30 minutes as needed; Lexie presumably isn't yet. If Jerome starts, I'd look for 12-18 minutes for Lexie (more if she's productive). The debate over whether both Hulls start should probably get postponed a few games or until Lexie demonstrates she's back in game shape. Even as Lexie rounds into shape, I do like the concept of Jerome starting even if one of the twins ends up taking most of the minutes.

3. Is Anna Wilson healthy: I really hope so. She showed some great shooting at the beginning of the non-conference schedule. She'd give the team a shooter and a different look at PG than Brown at this point.

4. Is this a redshirt year for Sniezek: I think it is a reasonable question to start asking if we don't see her on the floor this weekend. I wonder if she'd be offered a non-scholarship 5th year if she can't get back on the floor very soon.

5. Smith Foul Trouble: Without Fingall and Dodson inside, I would expect teams to go right at Smith to try and get her in foul trouble early. She's going to have to be very careful, particularly when she rotates to help from the weak side.

6. More Zone: Will we see more zone to keep Smith out of foul trouble and to use length (Lexie and Lacie) on the wings to disrupt interior passing?

7. Do Brewer or Moschkau crack the rotation? Moschkau has certainly shown that she can shoot. I remember thinking that her defense and lack of lateral mobility might be what has kept her from getting quality minutes.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - BobK - 01-11-2019

Great posts
Possible for Marta. Great point made that we have no openings
Anna is healthy and looking for far more from her. Like the 7 threes in Vegas last year
For sure CTT will go at Smith and that’s the key to the game
Will Coffee help?

Must hit threes.

Tara had Smith, Jerome and? I forget now post game for the fans. Key was her praise of Jerome. And not just for the dagger three

Ekmark is in her 2nd year of Law School
Yes we recruited her at some point

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - qwerty49 - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 10:03 AM)BobK Wrote:  Great posts
Possible for Marta. Great point made that we have no openings
Anna is healthy and looking for far more from her.   Like the 7 threes in Vegas last year
For sure CTT will go at Smith and that’s the key to the game
Will Coffee help?

Must hit threes.

Tara had Smith, Jerome and?  I forget now post game for the fans.  Key was her praise of Jerome.  And not just for the dagger three

Ekmark is in her 2nd year of Law School
Yes we recruited her at some point

Just wondering -- have we ever had someone come back for a non-scholarship 5th year?  In any sport?  I can't recall.

Almost every sport is partial scholarship so the answer is at 20% or so yes.
When Diggins said no Ros was able to get her 5th year on scholarship.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - CompSci87 - 01-11-2019

Ruef was going to come back for a 5th year as non-scholarship, but then a slot opened up due to medical retirements. 

https://www-mercurynews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mercurynews.com/2013/03/29/ncaa-tournament-stanfords-mikaela-ruef-faces-scholarship-realities/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mercurynews.com%2F2013%2F03%2F29%2Fncaa-tournament-stanfords-mikaela-ruef-faces-scholarship-realities%2F

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - 2006alum - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 12:35 PM)CompSci87 Wrote:  Ruef was going to come back for a 5th year as non-scholarship, but then a slot opened up due to medical retirements. 

https://www-mercurynews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mercurynews.com/2013/03/29/ncaa-tournament-stanfords-mikaela-ruef-faces-scholarship-realities/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mercurynews.com%2F2013%2F03%2F29%2Fncaa-tournament-stanfords-mikaela-ruef-faces-scholarship-realities%2F

Nice find CompSci. And the story has a funny, incorrect, premise: 
Quote:Ruef, after all, isn’t a candidate to play professionally. 

As a law school prof of mine used to say, "Au contraire, mon frere": according to Wikipedia, she's spent four seasons playing overseas in Australia and France! Good for her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikaela_Ruef

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - 81alum - 01-11-2019

All good points, Triangle.  At the last chalktalk someone asked about a redshirt but I am not sure for which player, and the answer was something like "usually it takes the form of a fifth year transfer to another university."  As far as Sniezek is concerned, does anyone here with some medical knowledge know what kind of thumb injury would keep someone out for so many months? 

Anna and Jenna absolutely have to contribute productive minutes today if we are going to win.

Alanna absolutely has to stay out of foul trouble.

Someone has to get hot from three.

Against a team as good as ASU, there is absolutely no room for error.

Keep in mind that Maya could show up to play at any time--we have no estimate on her return.  It would be a different game entirely if she were to suit up and play.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - 2006alum - 01-11-2019

I'm excited for tonight's game - ASU is a team that rarely beats you but will absolutely enable you to beat yourself, and that's exactly the kind of test that will be revealing for our young team. A big game from any of Lacie, Lexie, Jerome, Wilson, or Brown will not only be relatively critical, but also an opportunity for one of them to break out while several of our usual players are stuck on the bench. This will also be a good senior leader test for Smith in terms of seeing whether she can stay out of foul trouble. Fitness wise, I think Smith, Williams, and Carrington can all hang 35+ minutes for the front end of a the weekend double, so to me it's less a question of that than just that we need five offensive threats on the floor at all times. And all things considered, ASU is a much better team to be short on post players than, say, Baylor was, or Oregon will be. This will be a good night for a four-guard/wing lineup, and it should be a good contest.

(01-11-2019, 12:51 PM)2006alum Wrote:  
(01-11-2019, 12:35 PM)CompSci87 Wrote:  Ruef was going to come back for a 5th year as non-scholarship, but then a slot opened up due to medical retirements. 

Nice find CompSci. And the story has a funny, incorrect, premise: 
Quote:Ruef, after all, isn’t a candidate to play professionally. 

As a law school prof of mine used to say, "Au contraire, mon frere": according to Wikipedia, she's spent four seasons playing overseas in Australia and France! Good for her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikaela_Ruef

From the awesome FBC Site

Mikaela Ruef, 2015
Is recovering from a torn ACL, suffered in April 2018.
Has played professional basketball for four seasons in France and Australia.
Was a project engineering intern at Preston Pipelines
Earned a master’s degree in civil and environmental engineering at Stanford.
Collegiate Award:

Talking about Marta and it was Grad transfer. But I'm hearing 5th year possible. We shall see Sr Day

CTT will have her team playing more physical than USC did. It's her style. Let's hope the officials read the rule book before the game.

So hoping for Maya

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - CompSci87 - 01-11-2019

Ruef was a star in her 5th year and raised her pro stock immensely. I think she was a 3rd round WNBA pick. But if she hadn't come back for a 5th year, the WNBA wouldn't have seen enough to get interested, and who knows if she would have played overseas either.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - mbdude - 01-11-2019

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/01/10/asu-womens-basketball-four-consecutive-top-25-opponents/2519739002/

AzCentral article on game

(01-11-2019, 01:40 PM)mbdude Wrote:  https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/01/10/asu-womens-basketball-four-consecutive-top-25-opponents/2519739002/

AzCentral article on game
Nice find.  It points out the important of their post Charnea Johnson-Chapman, who I did not feature in my preview.  She has come on and is a major part of their offense and rebounding now.  Guarding her and Ibis will be tough with only one Alanna Smith--who has to be careful about fouls.  I really wonder who Tara is going to put on Ibis?  Will she trust Jerome to guard the opponent's offensive star?  Perhaps she will, as Jerome got that assignment against UCLA....   Can she hand Ibis?  We may find out.  Then Smith would be on Johnson-Chapman.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - TheFarm07 - 01-11-2019

In the desert, we lead 18-11 after one quarter.

Our offense seems to be doing well (when we are not turning the ball over), we have the shooter's touch so far shooting at 60%

What is not good is allowing ASU 8 offensive rebounds, leading to ten more shot opportunities. We are lucky so far that they are hitting only a quarter of them, but a team like the Sun Devils is going to start making shots.

Just hearing the Pac-12's "Inside the Huddle" and Tara was emphasizing "rebound" so hopefully we'll take that to good effect

At the half, we lead 34-22 as Kiana finished off the quarter with a great layup at the buzzer. I love having a mobile, athletic PG that can both shoot the jumper and drive to the basket.

Despite 11 o-boards for ASU and 10 of our turnovers (leading to 13 more shot opportunities), we lead by 12 because we are shooting 53% (66.7% from 3) and they are shooting 27.8% I expect them to revert closer to the mean in the second half so we need to keep their second and third chance opportunities down to a minimum.

Carrington nearly has a double-double at the half with 10 pts and 8 rebounds and Alanna has 10 pts as well.

We have 7 points from other players besides DiJonai, Alanna and Kiana, including 2 bench points from Anna.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - pefloresjr - 01-11-2019

Gritty half.  It is always going to be a grind against a CTT team.  Some of ASU's offensive rebounds were the result of long bad bounces off missed shots, but some were definitely based on their effort.  We gave up two o-boards to ASU off missed free throws.  That has to be cleaned up.  

Most notable thing about the first half was Stanford's tenacious defense.  They kept on their assignments without getting overly aggressive and picking up fouls.  ASU never really got their offense going except for about a minute and a half near the end of the 2nd but Stanford's players kept their composure and closed out the half well.  Hopefully they keep it up in the second half.

Cheers,
Pete F.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - crackpot - 01-11-2019

14-14 from the FT line. Whoda thunk??? Phew.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - Lorcan - 01-11-2019

Stanford goes 14-14 from the charity stripe and outlasts the Sun Devils. 

Such an impressive FT turnaround from our woes in the past. Miss half of those, and the game is much closer.

I'm so proud of this team.  Lacie, Anna, and Smith had absolutely pivotal plays in the fourth.   Imagine how strong we will be when Maya gets back.

RE: WBB: Stanford at ASU Friday 6pm - BosCard - 01-11-2019

Really good team win.  Lots of people contributing.  Nice to see Wilson have a really good game.  But can't wait for Dodson to come back.  It's not just that she can help prevent giving up 22 offensive rebounds.  But, our post/rim defense was weak.  Dodson is a good post defender and a great shot blocker.  She could have limited Johnson-Chapman and been a last line of defense on some of ASU's drives.  Smith is a good post defender BUT she can't do anything because she can't put herself at risk to foul.  Also looking forward to next year with Belibi and Prechtel helping insider (although losing Smith will be very tough).

RE: WBB: Stanford 72 ASU 65 - CompSci87 - 01-11-2019

A couple of trivial announcer pet peeves:

* Krista Blunk keeps saying "she gets the shooter's touch" when a ball rolls on the rim and trickles in. The phrase she's looking for is "shooter's roll," but it seems she's confused that with the phrase "shooting touch." 

* Everyone seems to pronounce the Hull twins' name to rhyme with wool instead of rhyming with gull. Is that really how the Hulls say it? Do I just need to buy new hearing aids?