The CardBoard
Outside Topic ATT Park gone - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Outside Topic ATT Park gone (/showthread.php?tid=17149)

Pages: 1 2

ATT Park gone - TreesAndBirds - 01-10-2019

Now Oracle Park

Espn reports $200M. Chronicle reports $3-500M.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25724823/oracle-park-new-name-san-francisco-giants-stadium-replacing-att

RE: ATT Park gone - BobK - 01-10-2019

It’s still Pac Bell Park to me. Just like it was always candlestick

RE: ATT Park gone - OutsiderFan - 01-11-2019

We should really call it McCovey Park.

RE: ATT Park gone - Phogge - 01-11-2019

Larry Baer knows money. Larry Baer knows zip about baseball. The Giants need the money to buy ambidextrous retreads and 27 year old infielders who hit below the Mendoza Line but are “versatile.” But hey they got analytics. And a weak farm system.

Phogge, isn't it a little premature to indict Farhan Zaidi?  He's only been on the job a month, and he has a pretty big overhaul task in front of him.  The Dodgers have developed several players who nobody thought were worth a damn and turned them into very good players, including Max Muncy just last year.

The Giants have some of the worst contracts in baseball and need to dramatically increase the system talent. It will take many trades, free agent signings, Rule 5 drafts, international signings and a few years of drafting their own players to judge the new baseball side of things.

To me, signs they are ready to trade Bumgarner and Panik demonstrates Zaidi has the control on all things player personnel, not Baer. That is at least a bit heartening, right?

RE: ATT Park gone - CTcard - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 10:31 PM)BobK Wrote:  It’s still Pac Bell Park to me.       Just like it was always  candlestick

(01-11-2019, 03:57 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  We should really call it McCovey Park.

Of course the problem with Pac Bell Park is that is already a corporate sponsorship rather than a real name.

I kind of like McCovey Park, except for the problem that as far as I know that was never really the name of the park or the place. Candlestick was a real name (if a terrible baseball park).

The park is located adjacent to the neighborhood now called Dogpatch. But we natives still call the area Butchertown named for the tanneries and rendering plants that dotted it. I’m sure that the Stanford Einstein’s on this board can come up with a name, especially that denizen of the stockyards who resides in the Far North of the Central Valley.

RE: ATT Park gone - BrevinsBest - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 03:57 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  We should really call it McCovey Park.

(01-11-2019, 05:49 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Larry Baer knows money. Larry Baer knows zip about baseball. The Giants need the money to buy ambidextrous retreads and 27 year old infielders who hit below the Mendoza Line but are “versatile.” But hey they got analytics. And a weak farm system.

Is this the same Larry Baer that saw the Giants win 3 World Series earlier this decade?

RE: ATT Park gone - BobK - 01-11-2019

The same Baer and a big touché to Phogge lol.
Hey it’s still Lefty O’Doul bridge and McCovey Cove

I miss Seals stadium

That was Sabean boys, not Baer. That magic wand hasn’t been really interested for three years.

RE: ATT Park gone - terry - 01-11-2019

For those who proposed McCovey Park, why do you prefer McCovey Park to Mays Park?

TreesAndBirds - TreesAndBirds - 01-11-2019

Get 3M to sponsor it (Mays, McCovey, Marichal).

RE: ATT Park gone - Mick - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 11:05 AM)terry Wrote:  For those who proposed McCovey Park, why do you prefer McCovey Park to Mays Park?

I think it has something to do with the fact that McCovey was a homegrown talent.  He never wore the New York Giants jersey as Mays did from 1951 to 1957.  

Maybe it should be called "Cepeda Park," since Orlando Cepeda was a rookie 1B in 1958, the Giants' first year in San Francisco.  McCovey didn't arrive until the following year.  On the other hand, McCovey played all or parts of 19 separate seasons with the SF Giants, whereas Cepeda played all or parts of nine separate seasons with the SFG's -- and Willie Mays played 14 seasons in SF.

Though Mays is obviously a monumental baseball figure, McCovey was all S.F. Giants. Third and King Stadium would be better than Oracle Park.

RE: ATT Park gone - Mick - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 11:40 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Though Mays is obviously a monumental baseball figure, McCovey was all S.F. Giants. Third and King Stadium would be better than Oracle Park.
Here's some other suggestions:

Sally Stanford Stadium
Sunny Jim Rolph Stadium (18 years as SF mayor, longest ever)
John W. Geary Stadium (1st SF Mayor)
Xigmacse Stadium (not a typo or random letters.  Can you figure the SF connection?)

RE: ATT Park gone - BobK - 01-11-2019

Mays was in the Army most of 1952 and all of 1953.

Who will be paying the hundreds of millions? Not either Willie.

RE: ATT Park gone - BostonCard - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 11:49 AM)Mick Wrote:  
(01-11-2019, 11:40 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Though Mays is obviously a monumental baseball figure, McCovey was all S.F. Giants. Third and King Stadium would be better than Oracle Park.
Here's some other suggestions:

Sally Stanford Stadium
Sunny Jim Rolph Stadium (18 years as SF mayor, longest ever)
John W. Geary Stadium (1st SF Mayor)
Xigmacse Stadium (not a typo or random letters.  Can you figure the SF connection?)

The Ohlone?

BC

RE: ATT Park gone - CTcard - 01-11-2019

(01-11-2019, 11:05 AM)terry Wrote:  For those who proposed McCovey Park, why do you prefer McCovey Park to Mays Park?

I have no preference, but was under the impression that McCovey Park came from the already existing (but unofficial) McCovey Cove.

I worked for the Giants for seven years. McCovey and Marichal were great guys always ready to give you time to do your job. Willie Mays was a prick and totally unhelpful even when it was “suggested” that he cooperate. Not as nasty as Bonds or Albert Belle but close.

Take the money and call it “The Park at McCovey Cove brought to you by Oracle.” Then the fans can shorten it to “The MAC.”

RE: ATT Park gone - BostonCard - 01-11-2019

(01-10-2019, 09:34 PM)TreesAndBirds Wrote:  Now Oracle Park

Espn reports $200M. Chronicle reports $3-500M.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25724823/oracle-park-new-name-san-francisco-giants-stadium-replacing-att

When Pacific Telecis originally paid for the naming rights, they paid $50 million for 24 years (as it happens, 24 years ago).  Pacific Telesis had been 90% owned by AT&T in the early 80's but was spun off during the AT&T break-up.  Pac Bell, was acquired by SBC in 1997, which acquired AT&T in 2005, adopting its name, so that Pac Bell once again became AT&T.  The park was also renamed.

24 years later, Oracle is paying 8 times as much money for a shorter naming contract (only 20 years) so the overall naming rights are being sold for almost 10-fold higher than they were last time around.

BC