The CardBoard
MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft (/showthread.php?tid=17539)

Pages: 1 2

MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - burger - 04-11-2019

Quote:"After several discussions with my family and my coaches, I have decided to declare for the NBA Draft," Okpala said. "The NBA is a dream and certainly a goal of mine. I am truly blessed to continue to learn from so many people here at Stanford as I grow as a person and a player. It's exciting to apply what I have learned so far as I begin this journey and see where it takes me."

The Cardinal sophomore has submitted his name to the NBA's Undergraduate Advisory Committee for evaluation. Under NCAA policy established within the past year, undergraduates can submit paperwork to the NBA to be evaluated, attend the NBA Draft Combine, conduct workouts with NBA teams and sign with NBPA-certified agents, while remaining NCAA eligible. Okpala has until May 29 to decide to either remain in the NBA Draft or withdraw his name to retain his NCAA eligibility.

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/4/11/mens-basketball-nba-draft.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=commpost_2019-04-11_1A2DOD&utm_campaign=mensbasketball_otherpd_prof__

I wish he was coming back, but if he's leaving, then here's hoping he's a lottery pick and lands on a team where he can get some playing time early.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - JJJ - 04-11-2019

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - OutsiderFan - 04-11-2019

I never saw Okpala look especially impressive in college.  Maybe I missed the games he resembled an NBA 1st round pick. He certainly didn't do anything to elevate the team he was on in terms of wins.

Sure they play different positions, but Kyle Guy just finished his 3rd season at UVA, and he's a way better basketball player than Okpala, IMO.  But Okpala has all this upside, right?

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - Papa John - 04-11-2019

According to https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft, Okpala will be the 14th selection, by Boston, in the 2019 NBA draft.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - winflop - 04-11-2019

It looks likely he will end up entering the draft - which would not be a surprise - but you never know. Unlike football, he can still opt out of the draft and return to school.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - FarmBoy - 04-12-2019

(04-11-2019, 01:34 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  I never saw Okpala look especially impressive in college.  Maybe I missed the games he resembled an NBA 1st round pick. He certainly didn't do anything to elevate the team he was on in terms of wins.

Sure they play different positions, but Kyle Guy just finished his 3rd season at UVA, and he's a way better basketball player than Okpala, IMO.  But Okpala has all this upside, right?

To be honest, I only saw KZ on highlights, which can only make someone look impressive. But comparing a 6'3" guard to a 6'7" wing man for purposes of NBA potential is silly. I saw Kyle Guy play and he's a nice college guard, but I can't see him doing much in the NBA, much like Bobby Hurley was a fantastic college point guard, but you knew that he would be limited by athleticism and size once he got to the NBA. I'm going to bet the NBA scouts know their business better than folks on this board. There seems to be consensus for KZ as a mid first round pick which would indicate he has potential to be an NBA starter in a few years.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - OutsiderFan - 04-12-2019

I will say this about Okpala.  

A couple years ago when Jalen Brown declared for the draft after his frosh year, having seen him play at Cal, I thought it nuts that he could be a lottery pick. I don't know if you can now say Brown is good enough to justify his selection, based on other players and how they have developed, who could have been taken at #3 overall like Brown was, but he's certainly better than I thought he was going to be.

Brown has developed into a better than average 3pt shooter, is great in transition on O and D, and is a very good wing defender with superior athleticism. He's not a very good FT shooter and is a pretty suspect ball handler.  Brown also had an NBA body coming out of Cal, which Okpala may not have.

Maybe I'm wrong about Okpala too, though I don't think he has the ability to be as good as Jaylen Brown.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - FarmBoy - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 06:07 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  I will say this about Okpala.  

A couple years ago when Jalen Brown declared for the draft after his frosh year, having seen him play at Cal, I thought it nuts that he could be a lottery pick. I don't know if you can now say Brown is good enough to justify his selection, based on other players and how they have developed, who could have been taken at #3 overall like Brown was, but he's certainly better than I thought he was going to be.

Brown has developed into a better than average 3pt shooter, is great in transition on O and D, and is a very good wing defender with superior athleticism. He's not a very good FT shooter and is a pretty suspect ball handler.  Brown also had an NBA body coming out of Cal, which Okpala may not have.

Maybe I'm wrong about Okpala too, though I don't think he has the ability to be as good as Jaylen Brown.

FWLIW, I think there is a H.UGE difference between a number 3 and a fringe lottery pick. a #3 pick you expect to start for your team right away and be a consistent all star. A mid first round is expected to have a solid NBA career and be a contributor. 

I don't follow a lot of basketball, but whenever I've tuned into the Celtics, it seemed that Jaylen Brown could score whenever he wanted to, but is on a team with others who suck up his points.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - OutsiderFan - 04-12-2019

Not to turn this into a Jaylen Brown thread, but, living in CT, I see a lot of Celtics and JB. He's a very good player, but he really is only a threat to score in transition and as a spot up 3pt shooter for the most part.  Of course, he does play very good defense, which I guess can be hard to find.  Does this justify him as a #3 overall pick? I don't know.

Malcolm Brogdon is arguably the better player at the SG position, and he was drafted #36 overall in that draft.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - SamuelMcF - 04-12-2019

(04-12-2019, 07:21 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Not to turn this into a Jaylen Brown thread, but ...

Remember kids, anything before the "but" means nothing!

I hope KZ gets drafted round 1. It'll be Stanford's first round 1 pick in 5 years (not that the last one, Josh Huestis, turned out well...), and the first non-senior drafted PERIOD since the Lopi. That's pretty damning.

IMO once you start talking about "non-lottery" picks, there's a drop-off in talent, so even the rest of the 1st round will generally be guys who need development, like KZ does. (Some of those guys will develop super well, and plenty won't.) Think about the NFL draft; round 1, the top 1/7 of the draft, is where every team expects to find a bonafide starter, if not a budding star. The top 1/7 of the NBA draft is the first 8-9 picks.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - Mick - 04-13-2019

(04-12-2019, 06:27 AM)FarmBoy Wrote:  FWLIW, I think there is a H.UGE difference between a number 3 and a fringe lottery pick. a #3 pick you expect to start for your team right away and be a consistent all star. A mid first round is expected to have a solid NBA career and be a contributor.

I wonder about that.  Nash (15th overall), Karl Malone (13), John Stockton (16), Kobe Bryant (13), Nate Archibald (19),

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - SamuelMcF - 04-14-2019

(04-13-2019, 09:37 PM)Mick Wrote:  
(04-12-2019, 06:27 AM)FarmBoy Wrote:  FWLIW, I think there is a H.UGE difference between a number 3 and a fringe lottery pick. a #3 pick you expect to start for your team right away and be a consistent all star. A mid first round is expected to have a solid NBA career and be a contributor.

I wonder about that.  Nash (15th overall), Karl Malone (13), John Stockton (16), Kobe Bryant (13), Nate Archibald (19),

You're cherry-picking. And 3 of those guys were in the same draft!

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - FarmBoy - 04-14-2019

Are you trying to make a serious case that it's better to have the number 13-19 pick in the draft than the number 1-3 pick? I'd like to see you pitch that to an NBA GM and see how he responds.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - Mick - 04-18-2019

(04-14-2019, 04:51 PM)FarmBoy Wrote:  

Are you trying to make a serious case that it's better to have the number 13-19 pick in the draft than the number 1-3 pick? I'd like to see you pitch that to an NBA GM and see how he responds.

No.  That's a rather nonsensical position.  Obviously a top three position, where you can get players like LaRue Martin and Chris Washburn and Joe Smith are preferable to the #13-#19 pick, if only for the odds.  All I was saying is that a high draft position doesn't guarantee a quality player.  Since 1950, only 44 of the first round picks became All-Stars.  And a mid-level first round draft position doesn't guarantee an average player. 

For extra credit trivia, name the three NBA all-stars in the draft era who weren't drafted...at all.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - SamuelMcF - 04-18-2019

(04-18-2019, 02:52 AM)Mick Wrote:  

No.  That's a rather nonsensical position.  Obviously a top three position, where you can get players like LaRue Martin and Chris Washburn and Joe Smith are preferable to the #13-#19 pick, if only for the odds.  All I was saying is that a high draft position doesn't guarantee a quality player.  Since 1950, only 44 of the first round picks became All-Stars.  And a mid-level first round draft position doesn't guarantee an average player. 

For extra credit trivia, name the three NBA all-stars in the draft era who weren't drafted...at all.

I went to the same website you probably went to: https://www.justallstar.com/nba-all-star-game/player-lists/players-by-draft-pick/

For those curious or who actually wanted to guess at the trivia question, the answers are there.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - burger - 04-18-2019

The Ringer has a very thorough scouting report on Okpala.  They have him 27th on their draft board.  Fingers crossed he comes back if he's projected for late first round/early second.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/ (scroll down)

Quote:PLUSES
  • Impressive physical profile with long arms and the frame to add muscle. He’s an above-the-rim athlete who quickly covers a lot of ground in the open floor.
  • Improved his ballhandling ability following his freshman season, which activated his scoring on drives.
  • Solid passer within the offensive flow, and he has developed a feel in the pick-and-roll, delivering accurate passes with velocity.
  • Tweaked his shooting mechanics to remove a hitch and improved off the catch as a sophomore. There’s still room for improvement.
  • Flashes elite defensive potential with his length and mobility, though he’ll have to develop his strength and fundamentals.
  • Grew up a multisport athlete playing basketball and football, until a growth spurt turned him into the tall, slim athlete we see today; he’s still learning how to use his body.
MINUSES
  • Poor shooter off the dribble whose mechanics fall apart even on simple one-dribble pull-ups.
  • Gets stripped often on drives to the rim; his handle is still too loose and he frequently goes into traffic.
  • Average scorer in the paint because he’s not good at handling contact. Getting stronger could help, though his natural touch isn’t great.
  • Defensive fundamentals are lacking. He has poor footwork closing out and loses his man off the ball. He also should get lower to gain leverage when defending the post.
  • He should rack up impactful defensive plays with his length and mobility but he doesn’t, largely due to his lagging reaction speed.

I don't disagree with any of this.  I do feel bad for O'Connor--he must have had to watch dozens of hours of MBB games to see enough Okpala to write this.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - d4cohn - 04-18-2019

(04-12-2019, 10:02 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  I hope KZ gets drafted round 1. It'll be Stanford's first round 1 pick in 5 years (not that the last one, Josh Huestis, turned out well...), and the first non-senior drafted PERIOD since the Lopi. That's pretty damning.

Stanford actually has four guys currently in the NBA at least (Lopez twins, Chasson Randle, Dwight Powell), 2 guys in the G League (Anthony Brown and Huestis), and at least two guys overseas (Roscoe Allen and Josh Owens), on top of where KZ and Reid (since he did play three years at Stanford) end up.

That is a great track-record with regards to putting guys into the NBA/professional leagues, irrespective of whether that talent has translated into results for the program.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - FarmBoy - 04-19-2019

(04-18-2019, 02:52 AM)Mick Wrote:  

Okay, your post seemed to be questioning my thesis that there are vastly different expectations for a top 3 pick vs. a mid-round pick. OF was saying he doesn't think KZ will be as good as Jaylen Brown, as though that were a criticism of KZ or his draft potential. If KZ goes mid first round, no one is going to expect him to become Karl Malone or Kobe Bryant. They hope he will, but he won't be considered a bust if he never becomes an all star.

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - JJJ - 05-28-2019

Not sure if this was updated after the combine started but CBS has KZ at #35 here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

NBC says #28. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-big-board-wednesdays-early-withdrawal-deadline-threatens-alter-prospect-pool

#9 to the Wizards?!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-prospect-profile-kz-okpala

RE: MBB: KZ Okpala declares for NBA draft - PVTree - 05-28-2019

(05-28-2019, 03:12 PM)JJJ Wrote:  Not sure if this was updated after the combine started but CBS has KZ at #35 here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/

NBC says #28. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-big-board-wednesdays-early-withdrawal-deadline-threatens-alter-prospect-pool

#9 to the Wizards?!

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-prospect-profile-kz-okpala

No Reid Travis in the top 130.