The CardBoard
Tiger - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Tiger (/showthread.php?tid=17544)

Pages: 1 2

Tiger - BostonCard - 04-12-2019

One off the lead at the Masters.

BC

RE: Tiger - BostonCard - 04-14-2019

Still one off the lead with a half dozen holes to go.

Bc

Now tied for the lead.

BC

A birdie on 13 and Tiger has a one stroke lead!

BC

RE: Tiger - CornFed - 04-14-2019

Fear the Tree !!!

Tiger Woods's saving grace.  "I was lost, but now I'm found"  of immense proportions moment in sports.  Inspirational on several levels.

Something I never thought I’d write again.  “tiger has won the masters!”

BC

RE: Tiger - martyup - 04-14-2019

Sports history was just made.  Incredible.   Who didn't have tears when Tiger hugged his son?

RE: Tiger - Redrum - 04-14-2019

I suspect that, like many (most?) of us, it took a longer-than-optimal time for him to mature into a decent human being.   I like to think that in addition to medical intervention, maturity finally arrived at Mr. Wood's doorstep and brought him something he needed more than another Master's championship.  Anyway, his success has been easier for me to like this time around. Maybe it's all cynical manipulation on his part...but I like to think the best about people...except for USC players, coaches and fans.

RE: Tiger - Phogge - 04-14-2019

Amazing win but still not a fan. Won with his irons.

RE: Tiger - slide - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 12:39 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Amazing win but still not a fan. Won with his irons.

other than the double cross on the approach at 9, he hit some great iron shots coming in.

He made up for it with a hell of a putt on 9.  The tee shot from 16 was also something to behold.

But mostly he just outlasted everyone else.  Took advantage of opportunities when he had them and just waited for the others to fold under pressure.

BC

RE: Tiger - qwerty49 - 04-14-2019

Poor Molinari was on cruise control until the back nine.

Whoda thunk Tiger would win being "Steady Eddie?"  He played within himself and was on in regulation a lot.  I think yesterday he was 16 for 18 -- and he arguably left two putts out there he could have converted.  His last nine was a great example of clutch performance.

RE: Tiger - slide - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 01:50 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  He made up for it with a hell of a putt on 9.  The tee shot from 16 was also something to behold.

But mostly he just outlasted everyone else.  Took advantage of opportunities when he had them and just waited for the others to fold under pressure.

BC

I think that is Tiger's MO -- "let others fold."  great frontrunner although he didn't get in front until late.

qwerty -- yes, fantastic putt on 9.  almost had to putt it into the fringe and still trickle it down the hill.

RE: Tiger - CornFed - 04-14-2019

Well, everybody left putts out there they could have converted.  In that regard, Adam Scott won the tournament.  He was reminiscent of Orville Moody in that way.

RE: Tiger - PVTree - 04-14-2019

I'm very happy to see Tiger back on top.

RE: Tiger - FarmBoy - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 04:30 PM)PVTree Wrote:  I'm very happy to see Tiger back on top.

I can't help but root for Tiger to win. It's not really rationale. I'm not a golf fan in general and his behavior was so disgusting that I think so little of him as a person. Maybe he's a new person, but how could I ever really know? But I followed the last two days pretty closely while he was on the course and was very happy when he pulled it off. 

As an aside, do people on this board who don't root for former Stanford athletes who didn't graduate still root for Tiger? Or maybe he graduated, although I couldn't find evidence in my quick google searching.

RE: Tiger - StanfordMatt - 04-14-2019

If we’re talking about prominent former Stanford athletes, I’ll take Tiger over McCaffrey every day. It may not be rational, but I love Stanford Athletics and as bad as Tiger’s transgressions may have been, they didn’t directly injure Stanford. On the other hand, I’ll probably never forgive McCaffrey for quitting on his team.

I realize that this take isn’t guided by any moral compass and probably puts me in the minority of Stanford fans...just the way I feel.

RE: Tiger - FarmBoy - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 05:19 PM)StanfordMatt Wrote:  If we’re talking about prominent former Stanford athletes, I’ll take Tiger over McCaffrey every day. It may not be rational, but I love Stanford Athletics and as bad as Tiger’s transgressions may have been, they didn’t directly injure Stanford. On the other hand, I’ll probably never forgive McCaffrey for quitting on his team.

I realize that this take isn’t guided by any moral compass and probably puts me in the minority of Stanford fans...just the way I feel.

To play the devil's advocate, did we lose any games because of McCaffrey's decision? Or lose out on recruits? I'm not aware of any evidence that McCaffrey's decision hurt Stanford. And I'd bet if Tiger had stayed at Stanford, we would have won a few more tournaments the following two years.

On the other hand, Tiger is a of immense proportions supporter of Stanford athletics. He would regularly show up to basketball games when we were great and has been at many football games.

I have heard several Cal fans claim there is a Tiger curse relating to the 2009 Big Game where he was honorary captain and we lost despite being so hot at the time. And they take glee in the fact that his down fall came very soon after that Big Game appearance, as though they had a hand in it. 

In the end, both athletes tremendously helped Stanford athletics. Tiger in his Sunday red and clear support for Stanford and McCaffrey representing the university so well both in his time on the Farm and with success in the pros.

RE: Tiger - 2006alum - 04-14-2019

I root for Tiger because he's an alum, because he's a once-in-a-generation talent, because he's an American (yup, I am definitely America First when it comes to sporting allegiances!), and because I would never, ever, ever, want to have lived through what he's lived through since 2010.

It's hard for me to judge him because I can't imagine the pressure of being a once-in-a-generation talent, with the media writing about your every sneeze. Having to be on all the time, to be everything to everyone, to being driven to pursue a monomaniacal goal at the expense of a healthy balanced lifestyle. What he did certainly wasn't good, or moral, or worthy of his other accomplishments; it was human, and flawed, and weak, and betrayed a kind of vulnerability he probably felt he needed to hide for the better part of two decades.

At the end of the day, I want to see the best that everyone is capable of producing, and in Tiger's case, that best is winning the Masters. So cheers to him, to Stanford, and to redemption! His return to the top of the sport will only make golf better.

RE: Tiger - Phogge - 04-14-2019

Golf needed him to win. I will never root for a guy who belonged to the Bimbo of the Month Club.

I’ve long ago separated my fandom from athletes personal lives.  While it is always great to learn that someone you have rooted for is an upstanding citizen, there is way too much scope for disappointment otherwise.

Tiger was a jerk in his personal life, probably still is.  But he’s one hell of a golfer, and the storyline is amazing.

BC