The CardBoard
What the heck was THAT? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: What the heck was THAT? (/showthread.php?tid=17547)

Pages: 1 2

What the heck was THAT? - Row80Critic - 04-13-2019

How/who/why/when did they decide to turn the spring "game" into position drills for a majority of the afternoon? I saw people leaving, especially during the 15 minute punting practice, and those with wildly bored kids, and heard more than one diehard fan say this would be the last time he comes. That's no way to treat your most loyal fans, sorry. Anyone know of a good reason for what happened? Whatever it was, they should have announced it instead of pretending like 3 thousand people actually showed up to watch THAT...

Oh, and Mills was limping. :(

RE: What the heck was THAT? - BobK - 04-13-2019

Actually with only 5 OL most knew not much of a scrimmage. Various interviews and newspaper stories.

Didn’t know about punting drills.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - SamuelMcF - 04-13-2019

(04-13-2019, 07:37 PM)Row80Critic Wrote:  heard more than one diehard fan say this would be the last time he comes. That's no way to treat your most loyal fans, sorry.

"Diehard" and "loyal" fans should've known 5 healthy OL would limit any sort of full-contact scrimmage...

Mills looked great to me.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Row80Critic - 04-13-2019

I didn't say Mills looked bad, but he was limping. 

This is my 50th season, and I've only missed 4 or 5 games due to weddings/funerals.  I was well aware of the personnel challenges, but don't think it was handled well at all.  You don't have to agree, but that doesn't make me wrong or uninformed.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - qwerty49 - 04-13-2019

(04-13-2019, 07:44 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(04-13-2019, 07:37 PM)Row80Critic Wrote:  heard more than one diehard fan say this would be the last time he comes. That's no way to treat your most loyal fans, sorry.

"Diehard" and "loyal" fans should've known 5 healthy OL would limit any sort of full-contact scrimmage...

Mills looked great to me.

I watched on sling for about 10 minutes.  Mills looked sharp.  Fehoko will play.  And I think Tremayne could be a contributor too.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Phogge - 04-13-2019

Bobbbbbbb and Q do you remember Les Tremayne? Voice and radio actor then had hundreds of credits in Features and just about every TV series from the early Fifties till the 80's. Was the colonel in Francis Goes to West Point, the General in the original (and better) War of the Worlds, the auctioneer in North by Northwest who gets pissed at Cary Grant, The Mentor in the Shazam TV series and in his greatest role a star in The Slime People. I think he did some work locally on radio probably the old KJBS or the early days of KCBS.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Ingin - 04-13-2019

SamuelMcF I disagree!  I’m a “diehard” “loyal” fan that would agree more with Row80Critic than your reply.  Injured offensive linemen have nothing to do with a poorly advertised and more dreadfully executed event?  Moreover, “diehard” “loyal” fans should expect more!

RE: What the heck was THAT? - JohnR34231 - 04-14-2019

(04-13-2019, 09:07 PM)Ingin Wrote:  SamuelMcF I disagree!  I’m a “diehard” “loyal” fan that would agree more with Row80Critic than your reply.  Injured offensive linemen have nothing to do with a poorly advertised and more dreadfully executed event?  Moreover, “diehard” “loyal” fans should expect more!

Stanford probably could have done a better job of communicating that this was going to be more like a practice than a game scrimmage due to the injury situation.
It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who follows Stanford football, though.
Just out of curiosity, what was so "dreadful" about the execution.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - BobK - 04-14-2019

Never missed a Francis movie as a kid but no didn’t remember.

But then I didn’t know who Tremayne the WR was. That’s a first for me

It was dreadful that the white team never had the ball on offense :)

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Redrum - 04-14-2019

I don't know to what degree the P12 channel camera angles matched the in-person attendees' view of the action.  I've been in that "stadium" but not for Spring game.  Are the cameras basically on the same elevation as the top row seats?

RE: What the heck was THAT? - BostonCard - 04-14-2019

Spring game has been played at Cagan, not the stadium.

BC

RE: What the heck was THAT? - terry - 04-14-2019

I didn't think it was a good idea to run 35-40 minutes of drills before the scrimmage. The fans didn't come out to watch drills. The scrimmage should have started immediately. If the team really needed to do drills, they could have done the drills after the scrimmage.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Phogge - 04-14-2019

And if Herb Brooks were coach the offense would have run lines.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Ingin - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 04:29 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  
(04-13-2019, 09:07 PM)Ingin Wrote:  SamuelMcF I disagree!  I’m a “diehard” “loyal” fan that would agree more with Row80Critic than your reply.  Injured offensive linemen have nothing to do with a poorly advertised and more dreadfully executed event?  Moreover, “diehard” “loyal” fans should expect more!

Stanford probably could have done a better job of communicating that this was going to be more like a practice than a game scrimmage due to the injury situation.
It shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone who follows Stanford football, though.
Just out of curiosity, what was so "dreadful" about the execution.

That's my point, communication was not good!  My reply was intended to be aimed at SamuelMcF’s repugnant reply rather than the event itself.  When challenging a fans loyalty, he has no idea of a person’s situation or what's going on in their life at the time.  But now that you mention it, Steve Frost didn’t even know what was coming next. This type of event doesn’t get people in the seats in August!  To directly answer your question, the most dreadful thing about the event was the usher running up and down the stairs relentlessly trying to keep people from standing against the back wall.  She was constantly in the way.  Maybe next time, Stanford could have an usher stationed up there so we can actually see the calisthenics! ?

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Redrum - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 01:51 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Spring game has been played at Cagan, not the stadium.

BC

Yes.  I guess my faith in quote marks conveying doubt about the Cagan site's ability to enhance and promote fan interest...ummm, missed the mark.  Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I watched Spring Game in the old stadium. Distant and weird in such a big place but my memory is of larger attendance and we could get up higher, though more distant, better to see formations and plays develop.  If the max Cagan attendee elevation was also the P-12 camera elevation, we prolly blew a chance to add some spark or value to those Stanford fans interested enough to tune in.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - PVTree - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 05:46 PM)Redrum Wrote:  
(04-14-2019, 01:51 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Spring game has been played at Cagan, not the stadium.

BC

Yes.  I guess my faith in quote marks conveying doubt about the Cagan site's ability to enhance and promote fan interest...ummm, missed the mark.  Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I watched Spring Game in the old stadium. Distant and weird in such a big place but my memory is of larger attendance and we could get up higher, though more distant, better to see formations and plays develop.  If the max Cagan attendee elevation was also the P-12 camera elevation, we prolly blew a chance to add some spark or value to those Stanford fans interested enough to tune in.

I didn't go this time around due to battling the flu. However, in years past I remember there were cameras high above the end zones. I remember it because it seemed like Ukropina was aiming at them on his extra points.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - CompSci87 - 04-14-2019

I've been to one or two of the past spring games at Cagan, but not this year. Yes, the viewing angle from the stands is low -- not ideal.

Coach Shaw really couldn't win this year with only 5 healthy O-line. There was no way he could hold the usual long scrimmage, and some attendees were inevitably going to miss knowing about that in advance and end up disappointed. (With my admin hat on: please let's not snipe at each other about that or about each others' reactions to it.)

I watched on TV this year despite living close by, partly because I knew the amount of scrimmage time would be brief. The TV presentation was fairly entertaining, as they did a lot of interviews and little features rather than just showing the punt team practice, etc.

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Row80Critic - 04-14-2019

(04-14-2019, 04:29 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote:  

That's all I was saying really.  In a world with twitter and a near-infinite number of ways to communicate instantly, the whole thing just seemed so unplanned and off-the-cuff, with more than a hint of indifference toward the fans.  It probably didn't help that I opted not to go to my nephew's spring game at Nebraska instead, where they played a full game, in a real stadium, with the band and cheerleaders and pyrotechnics, and alum everywhere, in front of 85,946 screaming fans.  (I know, I know, but still....)

I'm done.  I'll move on now.  

Despite a promising crop of young receivers, did anyone else wonder if Adebo might be able to contribute in a big way on offense if given the chance?

RE: What the heck was THAT? - Hurlburt88 - 04-15-2019

Adebo was receiving punts and I wonder if he will help on kickoffs also.   Maybe coaches are saving a true Offense role as a retention incentive at the end of this year?

RE: What the heck was THAT? - OutsiderFan - 04-15-2019

Stanford is indifferent to the fans. Just look how little access the program provides to the team. The Football page on the official website is awful. There are virtually no interviews with players and coaches posted. Go on the Cal YouTube channel and you will see coverage that dwarfs what Stnford produces.

Nobody should be surprised that mentality is manifested in a Spring Football exhibition. On a related note, when is the last time you heard David Shaw ask the fans to come out, or otherwise acknowledged the crowd? Maybe he has, but I don’t remember seeing or hearing. Shaw’s Twitter feed is virtually dormant too.