The CardBoard
Question for the Cognoscenti - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Question for the Cognoscenti (/showthread.php?tid=17680)

Pages: 1 2

Question for the Cognoscenti - GK3 - 05-13-2019

In looking through the baseball and men's track and field roster, I do not recognize any football players participating in those sports.  Is this just a year where we don't have any dual sport guys, or have the demands of football, year around, caused Shaw to discourage participation is two sports?

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - StanfordMatt - 05-13-2019

Isaiah Brandt-Sims runs track and played football.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - BobK - 05-13-2019

Brandt Sims is not in the track team. His 5th for football and indoor track only

However we have an all American in two sports on the track team

That said the days of two sport athlete are mostly gone.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - Spiny_Norman - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 08:41 PM)BobK Wrote:  However we have an all American in two sports on the track team

I believe that she also competed in a 3rd sport as a frosh.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - BobK - 05-14-2019

Jenna Gray as a frosh became Stanford's first woman three sport athlete.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - GK3 - 05-14-2019

(05-13-2019, 09:35 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  
(05-13-2019, 08:41 PM)BobK Wrote:  However we have an all American in two sports on the track team

I believe that she also competed in a 3rd sport as a frosh.
Yes we do have Jenna Gray throwing the Javelin but I was primarily thinking of Football - Baseball, and the now and then Football - Basketball types.  It does seem like BobK is correct, the day of the dual sport athlete is over.  Toby and Tyler were not that long ago.  I vaguely recall a rule that requires student athletes playing both football and baseball attend on a football schollie?  Is my brain making that up, or is there a rule like that?
I know Tim Tawa was a great high school football player here in Oregon, but apparently had no desire to try and play both sports.
Sort of sad to see the apparent passing of players staring in football and baseball.  We had some great ones.

With practices and conditioning year around hard to do two sports. Gray practices the Javelin twice a week the remainder is volleyball. Point is her main sport volleyball never stops

Who is the last football player to start a basketball game ? John Paye ? He was a full time starter as the point guard now about 35 years ago

David Shaw played 3 sports. One year of basketball and ran the 100 once or twice.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - FarmBoy - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 08:01 AM)BobK Wrote:  With practices and conditioning year around hard to do two sports.     Gray practices the Javelin twice a week the remainder is volleyball.   Point is her main sport volleyball never stops

Who is the last football player to start a basketball game ?    John Paye ?   He was a full time starter as the point guard now about 35 years ago

David Shaw played 3 sports.  One year of basketball and ran the 100 once or twice.

Did Teyo Johnson never start any basketball games? What about Evan Moore or Mark Bradford (I seem to recall those guys were on the teams but didn't get much court time).

Teyo did and was certainly a much played 6th man. Good one. Bradford played some. Moore and Pritchard more practice players. Fleener never played basketball but he would have contributed

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - Phogge - 05-14-2019

Ralston talked a bit about Larry Questad playing running back. Had decent size and was ripped. Made the final at the ‘68 Olympics in the 200 so he had the speed. Lofton and Nelson were great football players and very good trackmen. But the best track/football player was probably Bob Mathias. Gave up a shot at the NFL in order to train for his second gold medal in the decathlon.

Questad also won the ncaa 100

(05-14-2019, 10:17 AM)BobK Wrote:  Questad also won the ncaa 100
At this point I am more interested in the Football - Baseball duos.  Lofton was world class in Football and Track and Field, Nelson was close.  Arcega-Whiteside might well have made the BB team if he had played.  At one time we usually had one or two guys starting on the baseball team and football teams.  Obviously, guys playing baseball miss a lot of Spring Practice and have different baseball specific workout programs.  It seems like we are no longer encouraging guys playing both these sports while in the past it was something that set us apart from other football powers.  So just wondering.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - terry - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 10:53 AM)GK3 Wrote:  At this point I am more interested in the Football - Baseball duos. . . . Obviously, guys playing baseball miss a lot of Spring Practice and have different baseball specific workout programs.  It seems like we are no longer encouraging guys playing both these sports while in the past it was something that set us apart from other football powers.  So just wondering.

It hasn't been that long since Zach Hoffpauir played football and baseball. His last football season was 2016.

Incoming freshman walk-on Brock Jones reportedly plans to play football and baseball.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - qwerty49 - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 10:53 AM)GK3 Wrote:  
At this point I am more interested in the Football - Baseball duos.  Lofton was world class in Football and Track and Field, Nelson was close.  Arcega-Whiteside might well have made the BB team if he had played.  At one time we usually had one or two guys starting on the baseball team and football teams.  Obviously, guys playing baseball miss a lot of Spring Practice and have different baseball specific workout programs.  It seems like we are no longer encouraging guys playing both these sports while in the past it was something that set us apart from other football powers.  So just wondering.

He is a great athlete but I suspect that JJAW was too short to play the front line in D-1 hoops.

We did have a guy who played football for us and also dabbled in the OF, played at least one summer in the minors.  I forgot his name but I think he's in the car dealership business now.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - Phogge - 05-14-2019

Yeah and he played with The Dot and Cottrell. Pete Middlecauff was a good fullback for a year and a very good baseball player. Hurt us a few times.

RE: Question for the Cognoscenti - terry - 05-14-2019

(05-14-2019, 06:28 AM)GK3 Wrote:  I vaguely recall a rule that requires student athletes playing both football and baseball attend on a football schollie?

Yes, if an athlete plays both football and baseball and receives athletic scholarship money, then his scholarship counts against the scholarship limit in football.

Football players would would certainly help the track team

Kelly
Toomer
Peat

And Frosh Logan

Sadly the best could be Bragg a top Discus thrower as a Jr but he has dropped track

(05-14-2019, 11:25 AM)qwerty49 Wrote:  
(05-14-2019, 10:53 AM)GK3 Wrote:  

We also had another guy named John who now works in SF and who was a good baseball player.  Son on current football team I believe.  Then there were guys like Toi Cook and Mark Marquess who played a little of both sports.

He is a great athlete but I suspect that JJAW was too short to play the front line in D-1 hoops.

We did have a guy who played football for us and also dabbled in the OF, played at least one summer in the minors.  I forgot his name but I think he's in the car dealership business now.

Elway and cars

Cook and Mark were outstanding in both sports. As was Dot

Brock Jones will be on partial scholarship for baseball this fall and plans to walk on to the football team.
It’ll be interesting to see how he proceeds with his plans