The CardBoard
Baseball vs OSU - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Baseball vs OSU (/showthread.php?tid=17696)

Pages: 1 2

Baseball vs OSU - JJJ - 05-17-2019

First pitch scheduled for 6pm PDT.

(*Game 2 moved up to 12 noon Saturday due to rain in the forecast.)

Quote: No. 3 Stanford wraps up its regular-season home schedule this weekend when it plays host to No. 11 Oregon State, starting Friday at 6 p.m. at Sunken Diamond.

The Cardinal (38-9-0, 19-5-0) enters the week in a three-way tie atop the Pac-12 standings with the Beavers (34-15-1, 19-5-0) and No. 1 UCLA (42-8-0, 19-5-0) with six games remaining in conference play. Game 2 on Saturday starts at 4 p.m. with Sunday's series finale set for Noon. All three games will broadcast live on Pac-12 Networks with live statistics available at GoStanford.com.

Prior to Friday's contest, Stanford will honor Mike Mussina, who is the first former Cardinal to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Stanford will honor its eight graduating seniors – Ben Baggett, Nick Bellafronto, Michael Boden, Duke Kinamon, Christian Molfetta, Nick Oar, Alec Wilson and Brandon Wulff – prior to Sunday's game.

http://gostanford.com/news/2019/5/15/baseball-tight-title-race-continues.aspx

RE: Baseball vs OSU - JJJ - 05-17-2019

Oregon State takes Beck deep (high fastball) and we're down 0-1 Middle 2nd.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - BobK - 05-17-2019

1-1 now

We’re up 3-1 after 2, with a few singles, a sac fly, and E9 by OSU.

3-3. Will the Thrill hits it over the fence but caught by the Oregon State CFer

RE: Baseball vs OSU - StanfordMatt - 05-17-2019

Too many outs on the base paths! Let Wulff swing the bat.

And Beck has not been the same pitcher he was at the start of the season these last few weeks. Going to need the bats to pick up the slack.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - BostonCard - 05-17-2019

This is the type of game that ends 12-11.  We are up 6-5 and it’s only the fifth inning.

Then again, maybe the relievers shut down OSU.

BC

Now 7-5 heading into B6.
Palisch getting it done in relief of Beck.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - StanfordMatt - 05-17-2019

Grech filthiness continues. Retires Beavers 1-3 hitters on 8 pitches. B7 still up 7-5.

And now he retires the next three on 6 pitches. Incredible stuff. Interesting decision coming up for Esquer if the score stays the same. Personally, I’d send Grech back out for the 9th and save Little for the weekend.

Little goes 1-2-3 in the ninth and it’s an 8-5 win for the good guys.

BC

By the way, one game after hitting four home runs in four at bats, Daschbach has two triples and a single with three runs scored in five at bats.  By my count he has 19 total bases in 9 AB’s...

BC

I’ll go 23. :)

(05-17-2019, 09:15 PM)BobK Wrote:  I’ll go 23.   :)

Yup, I robbed him of a homerun.

BC

I wish you'd work on your math lol
Lol.
In any case an awesome two games

RE: Baseball vs OSU - GK3 - 05-18-2019

(05-17-2019, 07:29 PM)StanfordMatt Wrote:  Too many outs on the base paths! Let Wulff swing the bat.

And Beck has not been the same pitcher he was at the start of the season these last few weeks. Going to need the bats to pick up the slack.
Agreed and not the pitcher he was last year.  Doesn't seem to have the same fastball he had earlier, but maybe that is just my imagination.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - Hulk01 - 05-18-2019

Allowing five runs to a team that can't hit is a concern.
Going into the post season with one very good starter also a worry.
Eight runs against one of the best pitching staffs  in college baseball,
however: a big plus.
No way I figured us for eight runs today.

Very odd and unexpected:

In the 50 games preceding last night's.,
Beaver opponents hadn't tested Rutschman;
29 steal attempts,
only 15 successes.

We were 3-4.

--
Last night followed form in one sense, however.
The Beaver's bottom four combined for one hit.

--
Big game today.  If we can win today,
we're a decent bet Sunday with Miller throwing.

--
Great to see Grech throwing like this, of course.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - CTcard - 05-18-2019

(05-18-2019, 05:00 AM)Hulk01 Wrote:  Allowing five runs to a team that can't hit is a concern.
Going into the post season with one very good starter also a worry.
Eight runs against one of the best pitching staffs  in college baseball,
however: a big plus.
No way I figured us for eight runs today.

At least versus other very top teams, one of this team's weaknesses is the starting pitching. I find that curious given that the bullpen is just about the strongest aspect (though to be sure the combination is not all that unusual).
Beck has gone five games in a row with an increasing ERA and not getting out of the sixth (not getting out of the fifth the last two games). I hope it's just a rut, but I worry that since he doesn't have great natural stuff he's vulnerable once other teams have a thorough scouting report.
Matthiessen seemed to have responded really well to his promotion to Saturday starter (2.57 ERA and all wins in his first four starts); that was until last week of course. I wasn't able to catch that game so I am not entirely sure what was the problem, but he certainly got rocked.

Giving up 5 runs to OSU wasn't any kind of outlier disaster. They are averaging 6.0 runs per game in the conference, so it was below their average.

Quote:In the 50 games preceding last night's.,
Beaver opponents hadn't tested Rutschman;
29 steal attempts,
only 15 successes.

We were 3-4.

Yep, Rutschman sure didn't look like the "best college catcher in the nation" last night; and apparently a popular choice for first overall draft pick.

He was 1-4 with a ground ball single, one throwing error, other poor throws, a passed ball giving up a run, we really stole 4-4 on Rutschman [on the one official "caught stealing" Handley had successfully stolen second but Robinson got himself caught between third and home by admiring the play instead of acting decisively].

I assume it was an aberration. Hope he doesn't aberrate the other direction today.

Quote:Great to see Grech throwing like this, of course.

Grech has been pretty good since he dropped the hands-high starting position.
He was absolutely lights out last night and last Friday vs cal (as noted by StandfordMatt). 
His last 10 appearances have been 1 run, 8 hits, 1 walk in 13.2 innings.

RE: Baseball vs OSU - BobK - 05-18-2019

Baseball looks doubtful today and tomorrow. So much rain coming.

In Pac 12 softball they don’t make up games into Monday or later. Assume true for baseball

I think we need another win against Oregon state to make top 8. Or win out after this weekend

RE: Baseball vs OSU - Spiny_Norman - 05-18-2019

RE: Baseball vs OSU - Hulk01 - 05-18-2019

Why did Oregon State have Malone hitting cleanup?

He's the worst hitter among their players who play most often,
 .216 on the season and without a home run--
a .577 OPS

And they slid Ober,
their second or third best hitter,
down to the sixth spot.

I see how this might deal with the Beaver's season long problem,
the of immense proportions hole in the bottom four of their batting order--
but I've never see a coach/manager do that.

Anyone?

RE: Baseball vs OSU - JJJ - 05-18-2019

The commentators seemed to be saying “Malone was due” as the excuse for playing him there. Based on last year? Don’t know enough to comment further.