The CardBoard
Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal (/showthread.php?tid=17753)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - StanfordMatt - 06-05-2019

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - McKenwood - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 01:51 PM)StanfordMatt Wrote:  

No more excuses here. This is a player Coach Haase recruited. The attrition from this program is unpardonable.

So who will be Stanford's next coach?

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - BobK - 06-05-2019

It’s a sinking ship

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - SamuelMcF - 06-05-2019

YIKES.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - BobK - 06-05-2019

Just a guess. Academics ?

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - oldalum - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 01:55 PM)BobK Wrote:  It’s a sinking ship
I'm afraid it's way underwater already.  :(

I had already decided to cut back my season tickets from 4 to 1 for next year because no one wanted to go to a lot of the games last year. Maybe I should go all the way to 0??

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - donkey687 - 06-05-2019

I had heard from someone who talked to a parent on the team that Haase had lost the team, and the parent was actively lobbying for a coach change.  This secondhand knowledge is no more than secondhand knowledge and could have been isolated to a single parent, but it is beginning to seem like we may have a systemic issue here.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - BostonCard - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 02:45 PM)donkey687 Wrote:  but it is beginning to seem like we may have a systemic issue here.

It has been "beginning to seem" like a systemic issue for quite some time.

BC

(06-05-2019, 02:45 PM)donkey687 Wrote:  I had heard from someone who talked to a parent on the team that Haase had lost the team, and the parent was actively lobbying for a coach change.  This secondhand knowledge is no more than secondhand knowledge and could have been isolated to a single parent, but it is beginning to seem like we may have a systemic issue here.

If the parents are lobbying for a change, the end may be near for this iteration of Stanford basketball. Parental pressure was instrumental in forcing Dawkins out.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - BostonCard - 06-05-2019

Also, player pressure.  It was instrumental in accelerating Wlat Harris' departure.

BC

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - burger - 06-05-2019

Before this news, I was inclined to give Haase a pass for one more year.  But now I think he needs to go.  With the departures of Okpala, Sharma, and now Ryan, next year is already looking like a lost year.  Why not just switch coaches now and cut losses.

Of course, I also don't trust Muir to make a good hire, so we're probably screwed either way.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - donkey687 - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 02:49 PM)McKenwood Wrote:  
(06-05-2019, 02:45 PM)donkey687 Wrote:  I had heard from someone who talked to a parent on the team that Haase had lost the team, and the parent was actively lobbying for a coach change.  This secondhand knowledge is no more than secondhand knowledge and could have been isolated to a single parent, but it is beginning to seem like we may have a systemic issue here.

If the parents are lobbying for a change, the end may be near for this iteration of Stanford basketball. Parental pressure was instrumental in forcing Dawkins out.
This parent lobbying was back in January or February so I assume that Muir had this knowledge and pressure from parents when he made the decision at the end of the season not to terminate Haase so I don't think Muir will reverse course now.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - SamuelMcF - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 02:52 PM)burger Wrote:  Before this news, I was inclined to give Haase a pass for one more year.  But now I think he needs to go.  With the departures of Okpala, Sharma, and now Ryan, next year is already looking like a lost year.  Why not just switch coaches now and cut losses.

Of course, I also don't trust Muir to make a good hire, so we're probably screwed either way.

Nor do I, but at least there are 2 no-brainer phone calls to make this time: Jarron Collins and Russell Turner, both of whom have Stanford ties and are more established coaches now than they were at the time of Dawkins' firing.

RE: Corman Ryan entering transfer portal - winflop - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 02:52 PM)burger Wrote:  Before this news, I was inclined to give Haase a pass for one more year.  But now I think he needs to go.  With the departures of Okpala, Sharma, and now Ryan, next year is already looking like a lost year.  Why not just switch coaches now and cut losses.

Sharma??? He's out of eligibility and I'm pretty sure he's graduating.

The way the team played in its last game, I thought they had quit on the coach. This may add some cred to that thought...

Sharma??? He's out of eligibility and I'm pretty sure he's graduating.

The way the team played in its last game, I thought they had quit on the coach. This may add some cred to that thought...
[/quote]

Probably meant to say Sheffield rather than Sharma.

You have a good point about the end of the year flat line. Unhappiness would explain the desultory performances at the end of the year. That cal game was one of the worst I have ever seen.

RE: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - OutsiderFan - 06-05-2019

Jarron Collins is the clear, obvious choice.  IIRC, he wanted the job when it was open last time, but Muir wanted someone with HC experience. I think Penny Hardaway and now Juwon Howard have proven you don't need to have been a HC before to get your first HC job. 

Hardaway has recruited his hiney off.  And Howard was just given a the HC job at a far more accomplished program than Stanford.

RE: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - La Jetee - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 04:10 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Jarron Collins is the clear, obvious choice.  IIRC, he wanted the job when it was open last time, but Muir wanted someone with HC experience. I think Penny Hardaway and now Juwon Howard have proven you don't need to have been a HC before to get your first HC job. 

Hardaway has recruited his hiney off.  And Howard was just given a the HC job at a far more accomplished program than Stanford.

How about Luke Walton? He has a little more head coaching experience and was successful filling in for Kerr a few years back.

RE: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - Phogge - 06-05-2019

Walton would be poison to the current administration.

RE: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - winflop - 06-05-2019

(06-05-2019, 06:04 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Walton would be poison to the current administration.

He'd never take the job.

Collins or Turner would good choices, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Muir didn't have the guts to fire Dawkins until it was way too late. I'm not convinced he's going to get rid of Haase until at least the end of next season.

RE: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal - BobK - 06-05-2019

With the lawsuit against Walton he would never be considered

Some insiders didn’t like the idea of Turner several years ago. But looking in I do