The CardBoard
Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Baseball 2020: Prospectus (/showthread.php?tid=17764)

Pages: 1 2

Baseball 2020: Prospectus - CTcard - 06-11-2019

Bobk suggested that I start a thread on next year's prospects for baseball.

So, here is what I got. Please chime in with corrections, more information, or random thoughts.

Personnel Losses
We don't quite know yet, we'll have to watch for signings, but here is what we know/is likely:
Gone (no more eligibility) - Wulff, Wilson
Gone (high draft pick) - Stowers, Miller, Little, Matthiessen, Daschbach
Probably gone (special case) - Handley (special in that Bobk indicated he is very serious about school and just maybe would want to come back for academics)
Probably gone (lower draft pick) - Kinamon
Questionable - Bellafronto, Molfetta (not drafted, would be fifth year players),
Probably Returns (?) - Grech (junior, not drafted)

Returnees

Pitching
Weekend starters
Beck and Williams for sure. Battle for third spot.
I currently have an eye on Jensen. As a frosh he got 33 innings out of the pen, and had some quality outings in the postseason. He was part of the melt down at cal, but I hope that was just in the air that day. [Jensen ended with a 3.55 ERA, without the cal debacle it would have been 2.01.]

Bull Pen
Palisch, Weiermiller, Rudd. Grech if he returns.
Dieter had one promising outing on the mound, but figure he'll be a full time infielder.

Infield
Tawa returns.
Dieter started about 1/2 season at ss - hopefully a year stronger will help his bat.
Brueser started a bunch of games, and was hitting well until the end of the season. He mostly played outfield this year but is also an infielder.
Kretzschmar showed some promise in limited appearances - I think he played 2B. 

Catcher
Don't really know.
Frosh Martinez started one game. Appeared in six.
Molfetta has been nominal backup for a couple of years (filled in last year when Handley got hurt). He could come back.

Outfield
Robinson presumably becomes full time starter.
Brueser should be competing for another spot (see above). 
Then it gets tricky. Nick Oar? He had 15 appearances, mostly as a pinch hitter.

Incoming Frosh
It appears we had two signees drafted.
Owen Cobb, SS, was drafted in the 37th round by the Padres. Perfect Game gave him a 9.5 rating (out of 10).
Kody Huff, C, was drafted in the 32nd round by the Rays. No rating by Perfect Game. Hope he comes, we need a catcher.

Bobk says our top signee is Adam Crampton, out of Oakland, listed as 2B, SS, 3B. He wasn't drafted and has no rating from Perfect Game.
Our top three signees by Pefect Game ratings (score of 10) were Brock Jones OF/1B/LHP, Cole Hinkelman OF, and Henry Gargus OF/1B/LHP.
Jones will walk on for football (from Bobk).

Other signees were:
Bret Berrera (Huntington Beach), SS/3B  Perfect Game rating of 9
Quinn Matthews (Alisa Viejo, CA), LHP   No Perfect Game rating
Max Meier (Belmont, MA), RHP     No Perfect Game rating
Nicolas Toomer (Tyrone, GA)   3B/OF/RHP   No Perfect Game rating
(Toomer a football signee)

Summary

The pitching staff looks like it should be fine.
A lot of guys are going to have to emerge as position players, far more than this past year, which makes me particularly worried about our offense. That is the way of college baseball where the top guys only stay three years.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - BobK - 06-11-2019

Thanks CT card. That’s awesome

Incoming Frosh:
Baseball America lists each year the top 500 for the draft. I read each Stanford note and each said hard to sign as a Stanford commit so they were lower ranked for the draft

Previous two years:
Dieter 260. That’s about 8 th round for reference
Robinson 236
Brueser 288

That’s 3 in two years

The incoming Frosh for the next season are :
Gangus 293. of immense proportions power hitter
Huff 400. Catcher-SS. Raced about his defensive ability at catcher plus that’s a very athletic combination
Mathews 457
Jones 477

So more in the top 500 than the previous two years combined

Big Loss pitcher Diamond who hit the door. Committed to Mississippi ranked 273

Keep in mine sign ability plays a of immense proportions part in these rankings

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Leeidoc - 06-11-2019

You guys will be solid next year. And you will have plenty of Mississippi State fans cheering for y’all next year. The class shown by all those “Cardinal” left a positive impression on the Bulldog Nation.  Until we meet again.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - martyup - 06-11-2019

(06-11-2019, 05:40 PM)Leeidoc Wrote:  You guys will be solid next year. And you will have plenty of Mississippi State fans cheering for y’all next year. The class shown by all those “Cardinal” left a positive impression on the Bulldog Nation.  Until we meet again.

Hey, hope to see the Bulldogs win the Natty.  You've got a gritty team.  Good luck.

Thanks!  I know Stanford is accustomed to winning natty’s.  We have played for several lately: women’s basketball 2x, baseball vs UCLA a few years ago, tennis this year but we always seem to come up short.  We did take 1st, 2nd and 3rd in a trifecta in javelin this year. Whoop whoop lol. But thank you!

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - BobK - 06-11-2019

Stanford’s school record in the Javelin was 40 feet short of your winner. Awesome to sweep like that

Just wish one of our javelin guys could play QB. Ha!

I hate to beat the proverbial dead horse but Stanford’s fan base is pure class.  The fans I talked to after the game were kind and respectful.  And they were quite complimentary. My only hope is that we changed or at least altered our negative image as dumb, ignorant red necks.  Yes, we have those type people. But most of us are hard working, God fearing, family loving, sports fanatics that love the game of baseball.  We respect our opponent, love our team and will feed both after the game.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Hulk01 - 06-12-2019

Perfect Game says Hinkelman and Gargus can kill it,
and that Hinkleman can run and throw, too.

My guess/stab:
1b: Brueser  Ssid to have a good glove.
2b:  Kretzchmar Hit well in a small sample.
SS:  Dieter
3b:  Bellafonto
lf:   Hinkelman
cf:  Robinson
lf:  Tawa (could flip with Robinson)
dh: Gargus
c:  Martinez
Next;  Burton, Oar

A big difference:
the influx of left hand hitters. (Brueser, Hinkleman, Burton, Gargus, plus Robinson).

Conference:
1.  UCLA
2.  Cal
3.  Arizona
4.  ASU
5.  Stanford

6.  USC
7.  Washington
8.  Oregon 
9.  Oregon State
10.  Utah
11,  Washington State

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - CTcard - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 04:17 AM)Hulk01 Wrote:  Conference:
1.  UCLA
2.  Cal
3.  Arizona
4.  ASU
5.  Stanford

6.  USC
7.  Washington
8.  Oregon 
9.  Oregon State
10.  Utah
11,  Washington State

Hey Hulk, how much of that conference prediction is based upon who's coming back/who's coming in, versus where you think the teams were this past year?

For example, UCLA had a whopping 13 guys drafted. That seems to include their starting 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, DH, and 2 OF. Also their top two weekend starters and their main bullpen guy (in appearances, not their closer). That's a lot, but I don't know much about their depth or entering class.

cal's losing their top three hitters and three of their top 4 pitchers.
etc. etc.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Mr. Baseball - 06-12-2019

Here's what I think will happen in 2020:

Beck, Williams and Palisch starting. Jensen or Weiermiller closing. Grech definitely coming back. Expended roles for Rudd and Lopez, maybe something from Worley or Sleeper.

Infield will have Bellafronto at third and Brueser at first, Dieter or a freshman at short and either Kretzch or Dieter at second. Brueser is an elite defender.

Molfetta and Oar are both coming back. Molfetta will get first crack at starting catcher but Martinez and a freshman might have a say.

Oar will get first shot at DH but it might be Robinson.

Why Robinson? Because the only OF position he feels comfortable playing is CF and Tawa is elite in that position. It's time to return him to his recruited position and watch what he can do. If Robinson can figure out the corners, he gets one and Gargus, a power hitting machine, takes the other, with Burton also in the mix.

It's going to be a different team. It doesn't feel like a Super Regional team at this point, but we're still eight months from the start of the season, so who knows?

Here's what the batting order should look like:

1. Kretzch
2. Dieter
3. Tawa
4. Brueser
5. Robinson
6. Bellafronto
7. Gargus
8. Oar
9. Molfetta

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Hulk01 - 06-13-2019

(06-12-2019, 11:23 AM)CTcard Wrote:  
(06-12-2019, 04:17 AM)Hulk01 Wrote:  Conference:
1.  UCLA
2.  Cal
3.  Arizona
4.  ASU
5.  Stanford

6.  USC
7.  Washington
8.  Oregon 
9.  Oregon State
10.  Utah
11,  Washington State

Hey Hulk, how much of that conference prediction is based upon who's coming back/who's coming in, versus where you think the teams were this past year?

For example, UCLA had a whopping 13 guys drafted. That seems to include their starting 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, DH, and 2 OF. Also their top two weekend starters and their main bullpen guy (in appearances, not their closer). That's a lot, but I don't know much about their depth or entering class.

cal's losing their top three hitters and three of their top 4 pitchers.
etc. etc.

UCLA got killed in the draft, but so did we, of course, and they have
Holden Powell and Garrett Mitchell coming back,
and apparently some very good recruits.
I think there will be enough talent for the Bruins to be near the top
in a very weak Pac 12; someone, of course, has to finish first, second, and third.
We badly need starting pitching to offset the of immense proportions drop off in hitting.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - JustAnotherFan - 06-13-2019

LOL, don't tell any USC or Cal fans that that is the reputation of Stanford. :-D

(06-11-2019, 06:54 PM)Leeidoc Wrote:  Just wish one of our javelin guys could play QB. Ha!

I hate to beat the proverbial dead horse but Stanford’s fan base is pure class.  The fans I talked to after the game were kind and respectful.  And they were quite complimentary. My only hope is that we changed or at least altered our negative image as dumb, ignorant red necks.  Yes, we have those type people. But most of us are hard working, God fearing, family loving, sports fanatics that love the game of baseball.  We respect our opponent, love our team and will feed both after the game.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - BobK - 06-13-2019

I think Crampton gets every opportunity to be the SS

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - BobK - 06-13-2019

An update on the draft, Huff was drafted in Round 32 and Cobb in Round 37.

Coach Esquer on incoming shortstop:

“Adam Crampton is a great all-around baseball player and will make an immediate impact for our baseball program next season. We are excited about the combination of his elite defensive skills and his advanced hitting ability.”

From all reports, this kid has a remarkable glove, arm, and feet.
Lineup possibilities get more interesting, but he still has to OPS over .600 to start, no?

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - CTcard - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 12:17 PM)Hulk01 Wrote:  Coach Esquer on incoming shortstop:

“Adam Crampton is a great all-around baseball player and will make an immediate impact for our baseball program next season. We are excited about the combination of his elite defensive skills and his advanced hitting ability.”

From all reports, this kid has a remarkable glove, arm, and feet.
Lineup possibilities get more interesting, but he still has to OPS over .600 to start, no?

Here is the link for that quotation:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Oakland-Tech-s-Adam-Crampton-has-a-big-league-13877990.php

For some context, Esquer said similar but stronger things a year ago about Brandon Dieter (though this is by my always fallible memory). I think Esquer explicitly said he thought Dieter would likely start as SS or 2B, though that was at a time that the common knowledge seemed to be that Kinamon would be gone.

Dieter did begin the year starting in the middle infield. Originally mostly at 2B, then SS as Kinamon got back in the groove. Dieter had some trouble hitting, and it appears that was the main cause for him to lose his starting spot. Bellafronto came in to 3B and Tawa slid over to SS. For the year Dieter's OPS was 0.562, so Hulk's guess that he needs an OPS of 0.600 to start is reasonable. However, that does assume there is some replacement who could come in and hit the 0.600 mark. Among our starters at the end of the season, the worst OPS was Tawa at 0.694.

And Crampton is from my father's old high school, so I am sure he is destined for great things.

Seems to me that even a .650 OPS college player--say .325 on base, .325 slugging) is a liability at bat;
he has to make up for it fielding and stealing bases.

Coaches comments about this rookie seem a step up from his remarks last summer about Dieter,
and the newspaper reviews of him touch phenom.

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - OutsiderFan - 06-14-2019

(06-13-2019, 02:39 PM)Hulk01 Wrote:  Seems to me that even a .650 OPS college player--say .325 on base, .325 slugging) is a liability at bat;
he has to make up for it fielding and stealing bases.

Coaches comments about this rookie seem a step up from his remarks last summer about Dieter,
and the newspaper reviews of him touch phenom.

Why does Crampton have no Perfect Game rating if he is viewed so highly?
https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=516434

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - BobK - 06-14-2019

Because Perfect Game reps didn’t see him. They can’t see everyone

Hulk who are the top two in the top 100 list?

RE: Baseball 2020: Prospectus - Hulk01 - 06-14-2019

Bob,
I think our two top 100 players are Hinkleman, who just looks like a lefty power hitter,
and Gargus.  They're PG's two 10.0 rated Stanford recruits.

With four, UCLA is the only Pac 12 team with more top 100s'.