The CardBoard
WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? (/showthread.php?tid=17767)

WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - crackpot - 06-12-2019

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1138852267468238848

Interesting...

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - Lorcan - 06-12-2019

Quite the opportune time for her to make that leap into the WNBA with not much coming back. If she's known about this for a while, it makes some of the departures from Berkeley make more sense with Charmin Smith jumping to the WNBA earlier this year.

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - crackpot - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 10:19 AM)Lorcan Wrote:  Quite the opportune time for her to make that leap into the WNBA with not much coming back. If she's known about this for a while, it makes some of the departures from Berkeley make more sense with Charmin Smith jumping to the WNBA earlier this year.

Pay cut?

My first thought (after "Why the heck would she want to go there?") was that was a lot of travel. But then again, no recruiting, and it's not like they'll spend three months in the playoffs...

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - 82lsju - 06-12-2019

announcement from the Cavaliers

Quote: The Cleveland Cavaliers have hired Lindsay Gottlieb as an Assistant Coach, Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman and Head Coach John Beilein announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts.

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/gottlieb-assistant-coach-190612

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - BobK - 06-12-2019

Doubt she will be making $700K per year

Really doubt Smith knew this 2 months ago.

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - 81alum - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 10:53 AM)BobK Wrote:  Doubt she will be making $700K per year

Really doubt Smith knew this 2 months ago.
But why Gottlieb?  There are so many superior female WBB coaches out there.  A head scratcher.

It is going to take Cal a while to recover from the exodus.  It is not to our advantage to have a weak Cal when Oregon has a strong Oregon State and ASU has a fast rising Arizona.  Makes it possible for opponents to fully concentrate on us.

Disagree 81. Given Gottlieb’s recruiting practices a new coach is very possible an upgrade. Seeing is believing of course but even if a couple transfer or don’t enroll it might not be big losses. The present roster is looking at 8 th place at best

Still extremely interesting move.

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - chimera - 06-12-2019

I agree with the why Gottlieb sentiment.  I wish her good luck, hope she does well.  She seems like a good person from all I've ever heard about her.  I don't think she is a great coach though.  Cal's schemes were never great, and they often played an undisciplined style.  Her emotional style of coaching doesn't seem to fit so well in a pro league either.  Very much hope I am way off base here.  I really like that they hired a woman assistant.  Just a bit perplexed that of all the possible choices they picked her.  She sure did get out at the right time, which also doesn't speak well for her coaching.

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - 2006alum - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 01:07 PM)BobK Wrote:  Disagree 81.  Given Gottlieb’s recruiting practices a new coach is very possible an upgrade.    Seeing is believing of course but even if a couple transfer or don’t enroll it might not be big losses. The present roster is looking at 8 th place at best

Still extremely interesting move.

Bob, you've alluded to Cal having weird recruiting issues before, but it wasn't clear to me if you pinned that on the institution or on Gottlieb. What, specifically, was she doing that you thought led to weak recruiting classes? Or do you just mean she wasn't a very good recruiter in general? It seemed to me like most of her players spoke very highly of her?

I PM’d you one example 2006. Not for publication. Yes on Gottlieb.
The other lack of good recruiting is the great travel team next door to cal. Players to Oregon, Oregon State , usc a d of course 3 coming to Stanford. None to cal with the exception of one who played for the travel team one year.

The reasons are there I imagine but the lack of recruiting success is astounding

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - BostonCard - 06-12-2019

I'm not privy to the specifics of the WBB program, but this seems to be a recurring theme in Cal athletics.  It is a school that on paper should be one of the top 3 recruiting destinations in the Pac-12 across most sports.  And yet it more often languishes in the middle of the Pac.  I always marvel when I look at the number of NCAA championships that Stanford, UCLA, and USC all have over 100, and Cal is the ugly stepchild of California Pac-12 school athletics.

BC

RE: WBB: Gottlieb to the Cavaliers? - 2006alum - 06-12-2019

(06-12-2019, 06:18 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I'm not privy to the specifics of the WBB program, but this seems to be a recurring theme in Cal athletics.  It is a school that on paper should be one of the top 3 recruiting destinations in the Pac-12 across most sports.  And yet it more often languishes in the middle of the Pac.  I always marvel when I look at the number of NCAA championships that Stanford, UCLA, and USC all have over 100, and Cal is the ugly stepchild of California Pac-12 school athletics.

BC

Knowing that institution well, I will say that no school with a top athletics department has a more ambivalent relationship with athletics than Cal. What makes Cal a top school is its graduate programs and its research faculty. And they mostly, almost, exclusively, have moderate-to-extreme antipathy for everything having to do with college athletics. That is not true of Stanford, USC, and UCLA, and it affects everything from how accommodating profs will be with late/make-up work to the fact that Berkeley has very strict curves and no APR-padding courses that places like UNC practically create full departments and majors to provide.

Don't know if the course "EDGE" existed during y'all's time at Stanford, but I knew many people who took it (some more than once), and it padded many a Stanford athlete's not-very-impressive GPA. And then there's the infamous "The List." 

I am dyed in the wool Stanford all the way, but I will say, that kind of stuff doesn't exist anywhere at Berkeley, and the research faculty are (mostly) more than happy to turn the thumbscrews at the expense of the athletes. It's a whole different world across the bay.

Cal signee Fields has now asked for her release