The CardBoard
WBB: Retrospective on the 1990 and 1992 national championships - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Retrospective on the 1990 and 1992 national championships (/showthread.php?tid=17841)

WBB: Retrospective on the 1990 and 1992 national championships - 81alum - 07-11-2019

In my effort to liven up the wait for the WBB season, here in the doldrums of summer, I thought I would review a few past seasons.  Hopefully a few of you will remember the 1992 season and chime in.

This was the year we beat Western Kentucky to win our second national championship.  Also along the way we beat mighty Tennessee at home in overtime by 1 point.  We lost at Cal, at Oregon State, and at Arizona State, and won every other game.  In the NCAAs we beat #1 ranked Virginia in the semis before beating Cinderella Western Kentucky.

The team that year was led by center (junior) Val Whiting at 20 points and 9 rebounds per game, but scoring was diverse and balanced with Christy Hedgepath scoring 14 ppg and making 40% of her treys, Molly Goodenbaur scoring 13 ppg and making 42% of her treys, and Rachel Hemmer and Chris McMurdo as forwards rounding out the starting five.  All five starters averaged in double digits.  Frosh Anita Kaplan and Kate Paye came off the bench, among others.  Goodenbaur set three point shooting records in the NCAA tournament with 18 makes.

We averaged 86 points per game, and scored 112 once.  Val Whiting was certainly a superstar, but the team as a whole was more balanced that that and it achieved that balance with a lot of very good players who were not superstars.  This was after Jennifer Azzi had graduated and before Vanessa Nygaard and Kate Starbird arrived.  

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - 81alum - 07-13-2019

(07-11-2019, 10:04 PM)81alum Wrote:  In my effort to liven up the wait for the WBB season, here in the doldrums of summer, I thought I would review a few past seasons.  Hopefully a few of you will remember the 1992 season and chime in.

This was the year we beat Western Kentucky to win our second national championship.  Also along the way we beat mighty Tennessee at home in overtime by 1 point.  We lost at Cal, at Oregon State, and at Arizona State, and won every other game.  In the NCAAs we beat #1 ranked Virginia in the semis before beating Cinderella Western Kentucky.

The team that year was led by center (junior) Val Whiting at 20 points and 9 rebounds per game, but scoring was diverse and balanced with Christy Hedgepath scoring 14 ppg and making 40% of her treys, Molly Goodenbaur scoring 13 ppg and making 42% of her treys, and Rachel Hemmer and Chris McMurdo as forwards rounding out the starting five.  All five starters averaged in double digits.  Frosh Anita Kaplan and Kate Paye came off the bench, among others.  Goodenbaur set three point shooting records in the NCAA tournament with 18 makes.

We averaged 86 points per game, and scored 112 once.  Val Whiting was certainly a superstar, but the team as a whole was more balanced that that and it achieved that balance with a lot of very good players who were not superstars.  This was after Jennifer Azzi had graduated and before Vanessa Nygaard and Kate Starbird arrived.  

I guess this was a dud!  In any case, I enjoyed finding and watching these highlights from 1992.  I had not seen these before.  Anyone know of one for 1990?

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - Leftcoast - 07-13-2019

i loved watching the highlights - Val Whiting deserves more mention when discussing the best Cardinal bigs!  I remembered how great she looked running the floor and finishing near the rim but I’d forgotten she was also good from mid-range. 

Plus it’s always good to see Tennessee lose - in overtime that year.

Thanks for sharing.

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - Cardinal10 - 07-13-2019

27 years ago....definitely a title drought

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - 81alum - 07-13-2019

(07-13-2019, 01:26 PM)Leftcoast Wrote:  i loved watching the highlights - Val Whiting deserves more mention when discussing the best Cardinal bigs!  I remembered how great she looked running the floor and finishing near the rim but I’d forgotten she was also good from mid-range. 

Thanks for sharing.
What I really noticed was how full Maples was, how loud, and how many students and young people were there.  Why didn't that continue?

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - jonnyss - 07-13-2019

(07-13-2019, 03:50 PM)81alum Wrote:  
(07-13-2019, 01:26 PM)Leftcoast Wrote:  i loved watching the highlights - Val Whiting deserves more mention when discussing the best Cardinal bigs!  I remembered how great she looked running the floor and finishing near the rim but I’d forgotten she was also good from mid-range. 

Thanks for sharing.
What I really noticed was how full Maples was, how loud, and how many students and young people were there.  Why didn't that continue?

thanks so much for posting that video. molly really starred in the final 4. she dribbled the ball quite high, which would drive tara crazy, but then molly would sink 3 after 3. and kelly dougherty was big off the bench down the stretch in l.a. jake, age 8, and i went to l.a. to watch. we were in the balcony, moved forward to empty seats at the front for the game against virginia (dawn staley and the burge twins), and joined the chorus of stanford fans taunting, "staley, staley..." and yes, the games were saturday and sunday. after beating virginia, we drove to disneyland for saturday evening and drove back for the western kentucky game. red hot chili peppers "under the bridge" was playing on the radio.

not only did we beat tennessee, we came back from a 10-point deficit with 2 minutes left. i was watching our 12-year-old daughter in her first musical (annie), so we only got to maples with about 3 minutes left in regulation. amazing!

regarding attendance,  imo multiple 100-point games with lots of fast-break points will bring fans. our first year of season tickets was 1990, and that team was amazing as well. i remember julie zielstra and trisha stevens racing down the floor on fast breaks with jennifer azzi and sonya henning pushing the ball and katy seeding on the wing. five, star players attacking the defense. 100 points many times.

i was younger then, too.

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - BobK - 07-13-2019

Ah the Burge Twins. 6-5. Yes I saw the movie Double Teamed based on their life. :)

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - Hurlburt88 - 07-13-2019

Definitely a fun season!    I remember gathering people in Ohio to watch the tournament games.

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - UltimateCard - 07-14-2019

Thanks for sharing.

Those students/young people are us now!

(07-13-2019, 11:00 AM)81alum Wrote:    Anyone know of one for 1990?

There’s this:
Episode of the PBS series Frontline is a portrait of the Stanford University women's basketball team, coached by Tara VanDerveer, during their 1989-1990 season which culminated in their winning the NCAA National Championship.
https://exhibits.stanford.edu/stanford-stories/catalog/hf979yd8065

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - mbdude - 07-14-2019

pretty cool - thanks for posting

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - 2006alum - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 01:41 PM)UltimateCard Wrote:  There’s this:
Episode of the PBS series Frontline is a portrait of the Stanford University women's basketball team, coached by Tara VanDerveer, during their 1989-1990 season which culminated in their winning the NCAA National Championship.

This is amazing - thanks for sharing, and thanks to 81 for kicking this thread off. When I have my next window of unexpected free time at the computer I will definitely be looking forward to watching this!

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - jonnyss - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 01:41 PM)UltimateCard Wrote:  

Thanks for sharing.

There’s this:

thanks so much for posting. remember when the players on the bench stomped their feet and re-crossed their legs in unison after baskets? (47'30" into the video).  
those teams were quite exuberant!

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - 81alum - 07-14-2019

Thanks for sharing.

There’s this:
That is a FABULOUS Frontline documentary.  I had never seen it before.  What a wonderful way to relive the 1990 experience, and to put it in the context of the struggles for women's athletics in that era.  Fun to see the bench players with the leg-shuffle-and-cross.  Tara and Amy look so YOUNG!  And Tara is much more in-your-face, standing and pacing and yelling on the sidelines.  She really has matured over the years.  All in all, every WBB fan should watch that documentary.  Thank you for bringing the link into this thread!

(I've changed the thread title to include both national championships.)

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - UltimateCard - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 03:35 PM)2006alum Wrote:  

This is amazing - thanks for sharing, and thanks to 81 for kicking this thread off. When I have my next window of unexpected free time at the computer I will definitely be looking forward to watching this!

Just watched the video after finding and posting it (I'd long forgotten about it since it aired back in 1994). Some reflections:
- I still get goosebumps watching Jennifer, Sonja, Katie, Trish, Val, Julie and the rest of the players and the coaches pull it off. What a magical season that was! 
- Kinda surreal watching this not long after the USWNT victory in the World Cup. How much has really changed in women's sports over 25 years?!
- Also weird that this was done by PBS! 
- Proud of my alma mater for its commitment to Title IX... (our stranglehold on the Directors' Cup is largely due to this!)
- The post-epilogue: glad that Jennifer and Katie did eventually get Olympic glory in '96, once again playing for Tara.
- Reminder of the sacrifice our student athletes make - the toll on their bodies was shown from the opening scenes. Our teams sure have had more than their fair share of untimely injuries over the years - Trish and Julie in '91; Vanessa and Kristin in '98; Jayne in '10. We'd surely have more trophies but for...
- I wonder what would be our current players' reactions if they watched this - would it be a source of inspiration?

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - 81alum - 07-14-2019

(07-14-2019, 07:11 PM)UltimateCard Wrote:  - I wonder what would be our current players' reactions if they watched this - would it be a source of inspiration?

Perhaps, although it is often shocking to me to find how ahistorical young people tend to be.  But one thing is sure--they would come to realize how much mellower Tara is now than then!

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - jonnyss - 07-15-2019

(07-14-2019, 07:11 PM)UltimateCard Wrote:  

Just watched the video after finding and posting it (I'd long forgotten about it since it aired back in 1994). Some reflections:
- I still get goosebumps watching Jennifer, Sonja, Katie, Trish, Val, Julie and the rest of the players and the coaches pull it off. What a magical season that was! 
- Kinda surreal watching this not long after the USWNT victory in the World Cup. How much has really changed in women's sports over 25 years?!
- Proud of my alma mater for its commitment to Title IX... (our stranglehold on the Directors' Cup is largely due to this!)
- The post-epilogue: glad that Jennifer and Katie did eventually get Olympic glory in '96, once again playing for Tara.
- Reminder of the sacrifice our student athletes make - the toll on their bodies was shown from the opening scenes. Our teams sure have had more than their fair share of untimely injuries over the years - Trish and Julie in '91; Vanessa and Kristin in '98; Jayne in '10. We'd surely have more trophies but for...
- I wonder what would be our current players' reactions if they watched this - would it be a source of inspiration?

add jeanette pohlen (ankle) vs. texas a&m in the NCAA final 4 in 2011. we had already lost jj hones to a team rules violation, so we finished a tight game w our 3rd-string point guard, melanie murphy.

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - Spiny_Norman - 07-15-2019

(07-15-2019, 06:47 AM)jonnyss Wrote:  
(07-14-2019, 07:11 PM)UltimateCard Wrote:  

add jeanette pohlen (ankle) vs. texas a&m in the NCAA final 4 in 2011. we had already lost jj hones to a team rules violation, so we finished a tight game w our 3rd-string point guard, melanie murphy.

Just 2 years ago, Karlie Samuelson's sprained ankle late in the 1st half in the Final Four vs. South Carolina changed the course of that game. Stanford was up 9 points at halftime and got blitzed after the injury. South Carolina went on to win the title.

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - Spiny_Norman - 07-15-2019

Thanks for sharing.

There’s this:

UC, this was fantastic. A wonderful trip down memory lane with some interesting behind-the-scenes insight as well. I don't remember the reason I was at Stanford in March, 1990 since I live in LA, but I was at the regional final vs. Arkansas. One of the most fun games I attended at Maples ever. I still have the ticket stub.

Amazingly, 4 of the starters on that team are now in the Stanford Athletic Hall of Fame - Azzi, Steding, Whiting and Stevens. 

We also got to see a guest appearance by Marianne Stanley, Stanford's future co-head coach when Tara was away with the 1996 Olympic team (which would include both Azzi and Steding).

RE: WBB: The 1992 championship season - TooMuchTV - 07-15-2019

Thanks for sharing. No joke, I just tossed a VHS tape with this recorded on it.