The CardBoard
I am back and ready to defend my title! - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I am back and ready to defend my title! (/showthread.php?tid=17919)

Pages: 1 2

I am back and ready to defend my title! - Stanfordindians1again - 08-11-2019

I am ready to defend the coveted score projections/ spread game that we did last year.  Thanks for those that organized and tallied it every week.  Made for good fun.  

Are we doing it again this year?  T minus 2 weeks :)

GO CARD!

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - martyup - 08-11-2019

I think we should use George's prediction game plugin this season.  Is George still around?

Here are the rules that we used last season:
Quote:GAME RULES
1. Each entry is given an error score equal to the sum of the [difference between the Stanford prediction and the actual Stanford score] and the [difference between the opponent prediction and the actual opponent score].
2. Each entry that correctly picked the winner is given 1 point for every entrant that (1) also correctly picked the winner and had a higher error score than theirs, and (2) every entrant that incorrectly picked the winner.
3. Each entry that incorrectly picked the winner is given 1 point for every entrant also incorrectly picked the winner and had a higher error score than theirs.
4. Each player that picks Stanford to lose is deducted 10 points
5. Each entry that nails the final score gets a 10 point bonus
6. Each entry that does not nail the score but correctly predicts either Stanford's or the opponents score gets a 3 point bonus
7. All entries must be submitted in the Google form, except for the first game
8. If a player enters multiple predictions, the last form entry will take precedent.
9. All entries must be submitted no later than 5 minutes prior to the official kick-off time of each game.
10. The winners will be the players with the highest scores after the last game is played, including bowl or playoff games.

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - admin - 08-12-2019

We had someone make an automatic tallier app last year. Let me see if I can dig it up.

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - george - 08-12-2019

I need to update with the 2019 schedule.  Will take a look at this tonight after I get home.

(08-12-2019, 10:45 AM)george Wrote:  I need to update with the 2019 schedule.  Will take a look at this tonight after I get home.

Thanks, george, let me know.

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - martyup - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 10:45 AM)george Wrote:  I need to update with the 2019 schedule.  Will take a look at this tonight after I get home.

That would be awesome if we could use your pluggin.

In the meantime,  people need to give feedback on the rules for this season.

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - BostonCard - 08-12-2019

If you are looking for feedback, I'd remove the "if you pick against Stanford you lose 10 points".  This board already has cardinal-colored glasses enough without the 10 point bonus, but that's just me.

BC

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - qwerty49 - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 03:14 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  If you are looking for feedback, I'd remove the "if you pick against Stanford you lose 10 points".  This board already has cardinal-colored glasses enough without the 10 point bonus, but that's just me.

BC

+1.  That is honestly a very silly "rule."

(08-12-2019, 02:31 PM)martyup Wrote:  

That would be awesome if we could use your pluggin.

In the meantime,  people need to give feedback on the rules for this season.

Cool. I like that idea, as well. Not only does it tabulate, but it also includes opponents' logos.

(08-12-2019, 03:14 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  If you are looking for feedback, I'd remove the "if you pick against Stanford you lose 10 points".  This board already has cardinal-colored glasses enough without the 10 point bonus, but that's just me.

BC

Two considerations regarding this rule.  First, this is the Cardboard and Stanford fans should be rewarded for loyalty to the team vs the opposite.  Second, consider the hypothetical that Stanford loses a close game by 1 point.  One entrant picked Stanford to win by 1 while another entrant picked Stanford to lose by 3.  Each entrant has an error of 2 points.  Which one should get a higher point score?  

This brings up the question of whether we like rule 2, which says that all entrants that correctly picked the winning team score higher than all entrants that did not pick the winning team.  This rule could be deleted and we could just go by the error number.  Without rule 2, the entrants in the hypothetical above would tie.

Rule 2 provides a big penalty for not picking the winner, unless very few entrants did pick the winner.  This penalty is much greater than that of rule 4 (10 points for not picking Stanford to win).

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - SeaLoon - 08-12-2019

How about boosting the bonus if you nail the exact score? That seems rare enough that it should get a bigger recognition, something like 20 points.

(08-12-2019, 03:30 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  

BC

+1.  That is honestly a very silly "rule."

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - BostonCard - 08-12-2019

Personally I think picking the winner is more important than being close to the score.  I mean, in football winning counts much more than the score, and in a hypothetical where UW and Stanford are 8-1 and 7-2 in conference respectively (and no one else has fewer than 3 losses), but UW won all their games by less than a touchdown and got blown out in the one loss, while Stanford blew every team out except for losing two games by a single point, UW still gets to go to the Pac-12 championship.  So, yeah, if you picked Stanford to win 41-3, and someone else picks Stanford to lose 20-19 and the actual score is Stanford wins 20-19, then yeah, the person who correctly picked Stanford to win should be ahead of the person who was numerically close, but picked the wrong winner.

As for the 10 point rule, I think most of us wind up picking Stanford anyways.  And loyalty is enforced the old fashioned way, by making fun of people who incorrectly pick against Stanford.

BC

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - qwerty49 - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 04:53 PM)martyup Wrote:  

BC
First, this is the Cardboard and Stanford fans should be rewarded for loyalty to the team vs the opposite.  

Seriously???  Plain and simple, you are conflating loyalty with hope.  I love Stanford as much as anyone here; I have season football tix although I live 500 miles away.  That doesn't mean I can't help but feel that we might be overmatched on the field from time to time.  Look at it this way -- that rule penalizes accuracy, big time.

As for the second example, adjust how the differential is scored.  Give a small bonus to picking the winning team first.  If you want, gear it so that everyone picking the winning team gets more points than for picking the losing team, regardless of differential.  Just don't penalize someone for picking against Stanford.

I would support eliminating rule 4 and bumping up the bonus of nailing the score to 20 points.

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - winflop - 08-12-2019

BC
I agree - plus there will be games this year where that is the smart play.../cry

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - george - 08-13-2019

Sample poll is up here:

https://thecardboard.org/boardnew/showthread.php?tid=16294

If everything looks ok, we can install the plugin on the main site...

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - Mick - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:50 AM)george Wrote:  Sample poll is up here:

Looks Great!

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - qwerty49 - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:50 AM)george Wrote:  Sample poll is up here:

Looks great but it's not clear how we input -- hopefully that will be in the "instructions"

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - martyup - 08-13-2019

I was able to input a prediction, but I could not see stats when I clicked on the button, unless the "Took the under, Took the over, Red Hot, and Shame!" are the stats.  Also, why is there an over/under and how do we see what it is?

Before we go live on the board we should agree on the rules.  Can the pluggin apply whatever rules are adopted?

Who will post results?  Will entrants be able to see cumulative contest scores as the season progresses?

RE: I am back and ready to defend my title! - ADPinWDC - 08-13-2019

SAGACITY > LOYALTY.    Almost everyone here is loyal.  

When I come to CARDBOARD, I want SAGACITY, penetrating insight, knowledge I don't get anywhere else.
I get RA-RA loyalty for Stanford PLENTY of places (here in WDC).  Stanford is about EXCELLENCE, and that means judgment. 
If the coaches are making bad calls; if a player is letting down the team, I want to hear that analysis HERE.   
The insights of this collectie HIVE MIND are SUPERIOR.  That should be rewarded in picking the WINNER. 
Delete the penalty for picking AGAINST STANFORD.