The CardBoard
There was an open practice today... - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: There was an open practice today... (/showthread.php?tid=17921)

There was an open practice today... - SamuelMcF - 08-11-2019

And yet nobody is talking about it? Strange. Did anyone go?

RE: There was an open practice today... - Spiny_Norman - 08-11-2019

A report from Coach Shaw -

RE: There was an open practice today... - cctop - 08-11-2019

The annual season ticket holder BBQ was held after the open practice, so maybe people who attended the practice are just starting to get home.

It was a pleasant, low-key event on a warm evening in the stadium.

I missed the open practice.  Shaw commented that people were buzzing about #32 afterward.  I assume he meant freshman RB Nathaniel Peat, but the other #32 is freshman CB Jonathan McGill.  One questioner commented that the defense was blitzing a lot and asked if we fans would see more of that this year, which brought a big grin to Malik Antoine's face.

At the BBQ, radio announcer Scott Reese first interviewed Toby Gerhart who is entering his 2nd year at Stanford Business School.  Despite being out of the NFL for two years, Toby is still surprisingly ripped.  He spoke mostly about life after football and trying to balance school while being a husband & dad to two young daughters.  This summer he interned at an investment bank, which made him realize that he wanted to stay in sports.  He's thinking he'd like to be an A.D. or work for a pro team.

I was a little surprised my 15-year-old didn't remember Toby at all, until I realized that my kid was 5 when Toby graduated.  Time flies.  At dinner my kid really wanted to sit with, or get a signature of, or at least say hi to Adebo, but Adebo and the other "name" players were assigned to tables with people who presumably donate far more than I do.

After dinner, Reese had a Q&A with KJ Costello & Malik Antoine.  I don't recall much of what they said except that Costello raved about the virtual reality goggles and working with Tavita Pritchard.

Coach Shaw looked relaxed and was candid with his replies.  Off the top of my head, Shaw said:
Otherwise, I had the chance to ask a player sitting at my table one of The Cardboard's burning questions: who in fact is calling the plays on offense?

He laughed and said that even after 4 years on the team he's not totally sure.  Coach Pritchard is in the booth and calls down to Coach Shaw, who signs in the play to the QB, who communicates it to the players. I asked whether they still send in three plays like when Luck was QB.  He said that they've simplified the playbook but his example of a typical call was still a five-second jumble of words and numbers.

All in all it was a nice event, and as usual I walked away impressed by the players I met.

RE: There was an open practice today... - fullmetal - 08-12-2019

Great recap cctop, thanks!

I'd be curious to know about Carberry's OL philosophy, what he's trying to teach (and how different that is from what Bloomgren was teaching), and the state of our OL's functional fitness/strength/power.  It'd be good this year to not hear commentators/scouts say that Stanford's OL looked weak at the point of attack or that they were incapable of moving people off the line.

Remember when Conor McFadden was a grad assistant and used his photographic memory to aid playcalling?  Was he on the sidelines or in the skybox?  (Also...I'm pretty sure you could come up with a computer vision program to approximate what Conor did...haha.)

RE: There was an open practice today... - JohnR34231 - 08-12-2019

(08-11-2019, 11:05 PM)cctop Wrote:  The annual season ticket holder BBQ was held after the open practice, so maybe people who attended the practice are just starting to get home.

It was a pleasant, low-key event on a warm evening in the stadium.

I missed the open practice.  Shaw commented that people were buzzing about #32 afterward.  I assume he meant freshman RB Nathaniel Peat, but the other #32 is freshman CB Jonathan McGill.  One questioner commented that the defense was blitzing a lot and asked if we fans would see more of that this year, which brought a big grin to Malik Antoine's face.

At the BBQ, radio announcer Scott Reese first interviewed Toby Gerhart who is entering his 2nd year at Stanford Business School.  Despite being out of the NFL for two years, Toby is still surprisingly ripped.  He spoke mostly about life after football and trying to balance school while being a husband & dad to two young daughters.  This summer he interned at an investment bank, which made him realize that he wanted to stay in sports.  He's thinking he'd like to be an A.D. or work for a pro team.

I was a little surprised my 15-year-old didn't remember Toby at all, until I realized that my kid was 5 when Toby graduated.  Time flies.  At dinner my kid really wanted to sit with, or get a signature of, or at least say hi to Adebo, but Adebo and the other "name" players were assigned to tables with people who presumably donate far more than I do.

After dinner, Reese had a Q&A with KJ Costello & Malik Antoine.  I don't recall much of what they said except that Costello raved about the virtual reality goggles and working with Tavita Pritchard.

Coach Shaw looked relaxed and was candid with his replies.  Off the top of my head, Shaw said:
  • The new rule allowing redshirt players to play 4 games is great for Stanford.  Roster management is critical at Stanford because of how hard it is to fill our slots (he acknowledged that we haven't used all 85 scholarships in recent years).  Between a higher-than-expected number of players leaving early and the injuries we suffered, allowing redshirt players to play at the end of the season is like a safety release valve for Stanford.
  • He's adamantly against 9am starts, going so far as to call it ridiculous.  It's bad for the players because, as Dr. Dement (the Stanford professor famous for his sleep studies) says, college kids stay up late no matter what time they get up in the morning.
  • Regarding late games, he's against them again because it's bad for the students.  Sunday is their day to get schoolwork done, and if you play a night game at WSU the players don't get home until 5am, then they sleep til 2pm and their schoolwork suffers.  His ideal is to have one featured late game per week and the rest of the conference play at a regular kickoff time of 12pm or 3pm.  He doesn't buy the argument about more TV viewers at night because he feels fans nowadays are watching 2 or 3 games at once by flipping channels or watching different devices.
  • Regarding 8 versus 9 conference games, there is no movement towards standardizing conference rules.  Shaw would love to be like the SEC and schedule a bye or a patsy the week before we play Oregon.  Alternatively, he'd be fine with expanding the playoffs to 8 teams so that the conference winner gets an automatic berth.
  • Regarding late games and 6-12 day windows to set kickoff times, the money comes from the TV people and no university president is going to turn down money.  We're at the mercy of ESPN & Fox for 3 or 4 more years until it's time to renegotiate the contracts.  But he did note that we've had fewer night games the past two seasons.
  • What does he tell his players about getting through such a tough schedule?  Recovery -- get treatment immediately for injuries and get in the ice bath.  Take care of your body.  Get enough sleep.  Watch what you eat.  He'll modify the practices for players who are dinged up.

Otherwise, I had the chance to ask a player sitting at my table one of The Cardboard's burning questions: who in fact is calling the plays on offense?

He laughed and said that even after 4 years on the team he's not totally sure.  Coach Pritchard is in the booth and calls down to Coach Shaw, who signs in the play to the QB, who communicates it to the players.  I asked whether they still send in three plays like when Luck was QB.  He said that they've simplified the playbook but his example of a typical call was still a five-second jumble of words and numbers.

All in all it was a nice event, and as usual I walked away impressed by the players I met.

Nice to hear that Davis Mills threw the ball well and came out with his knees (presumably) intact.

RE: There was an open practice today... - OutsiderFan - 08-12-2019

If you have been calling for simplified offense and streamlined playbooks from David Shaw, that interview sure does validate your position.

rich_matta2@yahoo.com - CardinalSagehen - 08-12-2019

(08-11-2019, 11:05 PM)cctop Wrote:  I missed the open practice.  Shaw commented that people were buzzing about #32 afterward.  I assume he meant freshman RB Nathaniel Peat, but the other #32 is freshman CB Jonathan McGill.  

It was definitely Peat. He picked up a big gain on a wheel route and nearly scored. He seems very quick, although the DB caught him from behind just before he would have scored. If we happen to see him in the backfield in one of our early games, I'll be looking for the wheel route, as we tend to give our freshmen just a few plays to master. Peat also made some nice gains running the ball, and there wasn't much positive yardage to be had the ground, so his carries were noticeable. 

On the other side of the ball, one of our young ILBs, Magnum-Farrar, really stood out - he blew up a couple running plays in the backfield for TFLs.  

I thought both backup QBs, Mills and West, were fantastic and extremely accurate in the 7v7 drills. I'm no expert, but West actually looked better to me yesterday or at least had brighter flashes.  He was on-the-money with a couple back-shoulder passes to the end zone and absolutely drilled Parkinson in a very tight window in the slot for a 25-yard TD. That TD pass made the small crowd of spectators gasp and was cause for brief celebration among the players and coaches.    

There was actually very little live 11v11 scrimmaging yesterday - maybe 30-45 mins unless I missed something after leaving at 4:45. We were also disappointed to find no SWAG for my 11 year-old, although I imagine they're saving the swag for next Sunday's open practice with on-field drills for kids. We've come to expect free t-shirts, refrigerator magnets, posters and the like from all Stanford Football events!  If it's free, it's me.

RE: There was an open practice today... - OutsiderFan - 08-12-2019

Peat ran a 10.7 100m in High School, so he's pretty fast.

RE: There was an open practice today... - CardinalSagehen - 08-12-2019

(08-12-2019, 11:41 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  Peat ran a 10.7 100m in High School, so he's pretty fast.

Good to hear - that explains it.  Linebackers will struggle mightily to cover him. I couldn’t tell if our D missed the assignment or if he just dusted someone, but there was nobody within 5 yards when he caught the ball.  

Maybe we’ll see him on the wheel route or possibly on screen passes, like Bryce’s debut in 2015, although that’s a wildly unfair comparison for anyone!

Good memories - 
http://www.espn.co.uk/college-football/recap?gameId=400757023

RE: There was an open practice today... - BostonCard - 08-13-2019

Here’s some info from TOS (free)

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/LongFormArticle/Ten-Takeaways-From-Stanford-Football-Training-Camp-134431453/

I’d say it’s a mostly positive takeaway, with some satisfactory answers at the positions of most concern (ILB, safety).  Always hard to judge if, for example, our trouble running the ball is a sign of a weak OL and running back corps or a strong dL.

BC

RE: There was an open practice today... - Phogge - 08-13-2019

Young RJ is being tutored by former player Ron Himes. He’ll be a journeyman, as they used to say in the US Cavalry, “In ten or fifteen years.”