The CardBoard
Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game (/showthread.php?tid=17926)

Pages: 1 2

Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - OutsiderFan - 08-13-2019

For all those who whine about late games, it would help the cause to play more early games if Stanford fans fill the stadium for Northwestern.  Nobody is going to take later game complaints seriously in the Pac-12 office if Stanford Stadium is half empty for this game.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Spiny_Norman - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:33 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  For all those who whine about late games, it would help the cause to play more early games if Stanford fans fill the stadium for Northwestern.  Nobody is going to take later game complaints seriously in the Pac-12 office if Stanford Stadium is half empty for this game.

There could be a big crowd for this game but you will not see it on tv. It's going to be so hot in the stadium at 1 pm that half of the crowd will be in the shade of the concourse. Stanford Stadium has definitely earned its reputation as the Big Wok.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - 2006alum - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 12:51 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote:  
(08-13-2019, 12:33 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  For all those who whine about late games, it would help the cause to play more early games if Stanford fans fill the stadium for Northwestern.  Nobody is going to take later game complaints seriously in the Pac-12 office if Stanford Stadium is half empty for this game.

There could be a big crowd for this game but you will not see it on tv. It's going to be so hot in the stadium at 1 pm that half of the crowd will be in the shade of the concourse. Stanford Stadium has definitely earned its reputation as the Big Wok.

On the one hand, your observation is totally valid. On the other, Stanford fans might reasonably be accused of being Goldilocks: morning games are too early, evening games are too late for kids, and daytime games are too hot. There is no pleasing you (us) people!

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - SamuelMcF - 08-13-2019

The "Big Wok" is a new one for me. I like it!

Seniors should wear shirts that say "My Last Wok" on senior day. :)

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - chrisk - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 01:29 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  The "Big Wok" is a new one for me. I like it!

Seniors should wear shirts that say "My Last Wok" on senior day. :)

Northwestern fans will help fill the stadium, since they have a large alumni base in this area and the game is over a long weekend.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Spiny_Norman - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 01:20 PM)2006alum Wrote:  

On the one hand, your observation is totally valid. Other other, Stanford fans might reasonably be accused of being Goldilocks: morning games are too early, evening games are too late for kids, and daytime games are too hot. There is no pleasing you (us) people!

The sweet spot is 3:30, 4 pm. But you are absolutely correct that people will find some something to complain about in just about any scenario.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - ADPinWDC - 08-13-2019

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS.  YOU PHYSICALLY CANNOT SIT in the sunny portion of the Stadium in Aug/Sept.  
We have a $26 BILLION endowment -- invest a couple million in SHADES for the sunny side.  Nothing to do with Goldilocks.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Brickcity - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 05:22 PM)ADPinWDC Wrote:  

TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS.  YOU PHYSICALLY CANNOT SIT in the sunny portion of the Stadium in Aug/Sept.  
We have a $26 BILLION endowment -- invest a few thousand in SHADES for the sunny side.  Nothing to do with Goldilocks.

I remember sitting on the sunny side for the Sac State game, the opener in 2010. It was, predictably, in the upper 80s that day. My wife and I then went out to dinner in the city. I started to get angry all of a sudden over dinner for no reason. I couldn't figure out what was bothering me and, to this day, can only assume it was because I allowed my brain to fry in the sun for 3 + hours. There must be some science behind this phenomenon.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Farm93 - 08-13-2019

The Wok doesn't cook nearly as quickly as Austin, Norman, or any of the SEC buildings in August or September.   They deal with it.   Paper fans work wonders.   Hats have been used for centuries.   Easy solutions...but not as easy as reaching for excuses.

Always excuses.  Too early, too late, too cold, too hot, too bright, too dark, too sunny, too rainy...

If I am a TV exec I conclude it is all too much and then pick the option in Eugene or better yet Baton Rouge.  

Count on a paid crowd of 42,000.   And actual crowd of 23,000.  And a sunny side crowd visible to the TV audience of about 4,000.   And top it off with a library like setting since students will be out.

I am expecting at least a few jokes that reference the academic quality of the schools and couple it with comments about a library environment and/or fans in the library not in the stands.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - OutsiderFan - 08-13-2019

The hottest game I ever attended at Stanford was I think 1999 vs. UCLA when Troy Walters had the 98 yd TD catch and run. It was the original stadium and I was on the sunny side.

It was hot, but not unbearable. Did the new construction’s materials do something to create this awful heating people are pointing out that exists today?

rich_matta2@yahoo.com - CardinalSagehen - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 06:01 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  The Wok doesn't cook nearly as quickly as Austin, Norman, or any of the SEC buildings in the August or September.   They deal with it.   Paper fans work wonders.   Hats have been used for centuries.   Easy solutions...but not as easy as reaching for excuses.

Always excuses.  Too early, too late, too cold, too hot, too bright, too dark, too sunny, too rainy...

If I am a TV exec I conclude it is all too much and then pick the option in Eugene or better yet Baton Rouge.  

Count on a paid crowd of 42,000.   And actual crowd of 23,000.  And a sunny side crowd visible to the TV audience of about 4,000.   And top it off with a library like setting since students will be out.

I am expecting at least a few jokes that reference the academic quality of the schools and couple it with comments about a library environment and/or fans in the library not in the stands.

So well said. The stadium is fine. It will be much hotter in Orlando at UCF, that's for sure.

C'mon folks, can we not be the literal definition of "fair weather fans"?

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - 81alum - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 06:06 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  The hottest game I ever attended at Stanford was I think 1999 vs. UCLA when Troy Walters had the 98 yd TD catch and run. It was the original stadium and I was on the sunny side.

It was hot, but not unbearable. Did the new construction’s materials do something to create this awful heating people are pointing out that exists today?
Yes, the new construction absolutely did create this awful heating.

As bad as the old stadium was, it was earthen, and earth is cooler than the metal of the wok-stadium structure.  Also, the new stadium was excavated several feet lower and this inhibits air circulation. 

I actually like the new stadium over the old one in pretty much all ways except the heat.  Overhead shading would make a big difference.  I wonder about something akin to the Roman Coliseum, with shades pulled out on cables. 

But for those of us who do attend, bring pads to cover up the overheated aluminum benches, wear broad brimmed hats and sunglasses, and drink plenty of water.  I get by that way.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Stanfordindians1again - 08-13-2019

the Wok? Have heard several players call the stadium “The Library”.  Quiet comparatively to other hostile environments...but we have a pretty good winning percentage at home.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - winflop - 08-13-2019

If you think Stanford is bad on a hot day, try the billion-dollar s***hole in Santa Clara

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - Mick - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 06:06 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  The hottest game I ever attended at Stanford was I think 1999 vs. UCLA when Troy Walters had the 98 yd TD catch and run. It was the original stadium and I was on the sunny side.

When I read the "heat" part of this thread, I was remembering the exact game.  That UCLA game was brutal.  I consider myself reasonably hardy and was well-hydrated for that game, but I still spent about 1/4 of my time on the concourse.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - akiddoc - 08-14-2019

(08-13-2019, 09:43 PM)Mick Wrote:  

When I read the "heat" part of this thread, I was remembering the exact game.  That UCLA game was brutal.  I consider myself reasonably hardy and was well-hydrated for that game, but I still spent about 1/4 of my time on the concourse.

I foolishly did not pre-hydrate for that UCLA game. Got extremely dizzy and had to go up in the shade and drink 3 bottles of water in quick succession. Felt better after about 45 minutes.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - slide - 08-14-2019

(08-13-2019, 07:21 PM)Stanfordindians1again Wrote:  the Wok? Have heard several players call the stadium “The Library”.  Quiet comparatively to other hostile environments...but we have a pretty good winning percentage at home.

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - OutsiderFan - 08-14-2019

(08-14-2019, 02:22 AM)akiddoc Wrote:  

I foolishly did not pre-hydrate for that UCLA game. Got extremely dizzy and had to go up in the shade and drink 3 bottles of water in quick succession. Felt better after about 45 minutes.

They sold some surprisingly good lemonade in substantially large cups that day...

Can anyone locate a highlight video of the longest TD reception in Pac-12/10/8 history?

RE: Northwestern is a 1pm FOX National game - CTcard - 08-14-2019

Interesting, the hottest game I remember attending was vs UCLA in 1987. That was compounded by losing 49-0 (and by halftime it was already some gosh-awful 42-0 or something). People were dropping left and right.

It's one of only two games I remember leaving early, but in my defense I was puking.

And at this very moment, Pac-12 Networks is replaying the 1993 game vs UCLA, with sideline reports about how the players are struggling with the heat.
What is it about UCLA at Stanford?

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - JohnR34231 - 08-14-2019

(08-13-2019, 06:12 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  
(08-13-2019, 06:01 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  The Wok doesn't cook nearly as quickly as Austin, Norman, or any of the SEC buildings in the August or September.   They deal with it.   Paper fans work wonders.   Hats have been used for centuries.   Easy solutions...but not as easy as reaching for excuses.

So well said. The stadium is fine. It will be much hotter in Orlando at UCF, that's for sure.

C'mon folks, can we not be the literal definition of "fair weather fans"?

Yeah, I've sat through some hot games at Stanford, but they don't compare to a couple I endured at Florida State. I recall one time I thought I was going to pass out.