The CardBoard
Outside Topic The A's - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Outside Topic The A's (/showthread.php?tid=17960)

Pages: 1 2

The A's - cardcrimson - 08-21-2019

The Amazing A's are tied in the loss column for the second wildcard spot and 19 games over 500. I can't name an A's player of the top of my head, but they beat the Yankees last night and are currently ahead by 4 in the top of the 5th tonight. We still have a Bay Area team in contention for the playoffs, just happens to be the team on the sunny side of the Bay.

Go A's!

RE: The A's - OutsiderFan - 08-22-2019

Third Baseman Matt Chapman and SS Marcus Semien are their two best players, but they have quite a few good ones obviously. They just called up their top pitching prospect AJ Puk this week.

They seem to have more talent than Tampa Bay if not Cleveland, and they have just won series against both AL teams considered superior to them. Maybe they are a World Series contender?

As an aside, th Astros, with Verlamder starting at home against the league worst Tigers were the biggest favorite in MLB history last night. Naturally, Detroit won 2-1.

RE: The A's - cardcrimson - 08-22-2019

No love here for the A's? They even have a started that played for Stanford!

RE: The A's - BigEasyCard - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 07:50 AM)cardcrimson Wrote:  No love here for the A's? They even have a started that played for Stanford!

Yes, that would be outfielder Stephen Piscotty who hit a home run last night against the Yankees with his Dad in the stands.

The Cardinals made it possible for Piscotty to move to the A's after his Mother was diagnosed with ALS.  She passed away in 2018, but had her son close by for the last months of her life:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23433258/gretchen-piscotty-mother-oakland-athletics-stephen-piscotty-dies

Geaux Cardinal!

RE: The A's - Phogge - 08-22-2019

And Beane will break up the club in another year. A pattern repeated regularly.

I think he is the fulfillment of Connie Mack without the championships.

RE: The A's - cardcrimson - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 08:06 AM)BigEasyCard Wrote:  
(08-22-2019, 07:50 AM)cardcrimson Wrote:  No love here for the A's? They even have a started that played for Stanford!

Yes, that would be outfielder Stephen Piscotty who hit a home run last night against the Yankees with his Dad in the stands.

The Cardinals made it possible for Piscotty to move to the A's after his Mother was diagnosed with ALS.  She passed away in 2018, but had her son close by for the last months of her life:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23433258/gretchen-piscotty-mother-oakland-athletics-stephen-piscotty-dies

Geaux Cardinal!
Thanks for sharing the story. Great stuff, knew he was from Pleasanton, didn't know about his mom. Very sad.

RE: The A's - bl82 - 08-22-2019

While Phogge sadly nails the essence of this franchise, this is yet another improbable run that should be applauded, as it has been accomplished with a payroll that is 25th out of 30.

I'm fairly sure Oakland's original top five starting pitchers have missed more games than any other team in the league and their best pitcher is currently serving an 80-game suspension. Oakland's offensive superstar, Khris Davis, has been mired in a season-long slump. Lots of castoffs have stepped up.

This team is gritty and fun to watch -- and they love the long ball. Once Ramon Laureano (Google this young CFs fielding highlights, which are Mays-Clemente caliber) returns, this team could make some noise.

RE: The A's - OutsiderFan - 08-22-2019

(08-22-2019, 08:20 AM)Phogge Wrote:  And Beane will break up the club in another year. A pattern repeated regularly.

The A's are aiming to play in a new Oakland Howard Terminal stadium in 2023, which means they are expecting to get approval and start construction in 2020.  If the shovels go in dirt as hoped, they will start spending in the top quarter of MLB, and their first order of business will be to sign Matt Chapman to a long term deal.

RE: The A's - akiddoc - 08-23-2019

(08-22-2019, 11:29 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
(08-22-2019, 08:20 AM)Phogge Wrote:  And Beane will break up the club in another year. A pattern repeated regularly.

The A's are aiming to play in a new Oakland Howard Terminal stadium in 2023, which means they are expecting to get approval and start construction in 2020.  If the shovels go in dirt as hoped, they will start spending in the top quarter of MLB, and their first order of business will be to sign Matt Chapman to a long term deal.
The A's are fun to watch and have a ton of young talent. A's management continues to trade away the best players which suppresses attendance year after year. If they were daring enough to sign Chapman, Olson, and Semien to long term contracts, attendance would begin to improve, even in the old ballpark. Laureano is in his first full year. No pressure for a long term contract just yet.

RE: The A's - Mick - 08-23-2019

(08-21-2019, 09:00 PM)cardcrimson Wrote:  The Amazing A's are tied in the loss column for the second wildcard spot and 19 games over 500. I can't name an A's player of the top of my head, but they beat the Yankees last night and are currently ahead by 4 in the top of the 5th tonight. We still have a Bay Area team in contention for the playoffs, just happens to be the team on the sunny side of the Bay.

Go A's!
Mark Canha.  Bellarmine & Cal.  Grew up in my neighborhood, I used to play court sports with his Dad.  19 HRs in 294 ABs,  Plays every OF spot, 1B and DH.  .269/.385/.517/.902.  Highest OPS of anyone on the A's with more than 50 ABs.

The last time I really liked the A's was 1971-1975.  Knew and liked all the players, Dick Williams, Charlie Finley.  Great teams.

RE: The A's - Phogge - 08-23-2019

Wherever Dick Williams went he won.

RE: The A's - cardcrimson - 08-23-2019

After a sweep of the Yankees, the A's are a game in the loss column ahead for the top wild card spot in the AL. Now come the Giants for a two game set. . . .

RE: The A's - Mick - 08-23-2019

(08-23-2019, 06:29 AM)Phogge Wrote:  Wherever Dick Williams went he won.

Interesting guy.  Not particularly well liked.  He said the only years he was "part of the gang" with the players were the years in Oakland, and that was because the players hated Finley so much.

RE: The A's - qwerty49 - 08-23-2019

(08-23-2019, 07:21 AM)cardcrimson Wrote:  After a sweep of the Yankees, the A's are a game in the loss column ahead for the top wild card spot in the AL. Now come the Giants for a two game set. . . .

I feel an irony attack coming on. Another Giant rally, too late to help themselves, but just in time to hurt the A’s.

RE: The A's - slide - 08-25-2019

Chapman is probably the best all-around 3B in MLB.  his glove/range is better than Arenado and his bat is starting to catch up as well.

Olson, the big 1B, is the other young cornerstone with Semien on the outside looking in for top duo.    Olson is not the defensive equal of Chapman, but he is very good defensively.  Olson missed first 30 games of the year but is in top 5 in slugging for 1B.

pitching has been a carousel.  SP has been hurt a couple of times over and last year's tight bullpen with Trivino as set up to Treinen as closer has been terrible.  Liam Hendricks in the new closer and by some stats he is most valuable RP in the league.

life on the cheap but some nice young pieces (Chapman, Olson, Semien, Laureano) with some more on the way (Puk, Lazardo, Murphy) to build around.

on Piscotty, nice catch yesterday.  

https://twitter.com/i/status/1165432922913902592

lex24 - lex24 - 08-25-2019

SWEEP. Screw the As.

<p><span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><br></p>

<p>
(08-25-2019, 04:13 PM)lex24 Wrote:  SWEEP. Screw the As. I can’t stand Billy Beane. The most overrated exec in history. But ...Brad Pitt, right. What he allowed them to do to Art Howe in Moneyball is dusgusting.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>

</p>

RE: The A's - qwerty49 - 08-25-2019

LOL I knew the Giants would wake up. Too late to help themselves but maybe just in time to hurt the A’s. Although TB and CLE lost today as well, so no blood, no foul.

Cmon Lex you know you miss Charlie O.

RE: The A's - BostonCard - 08-25-2019

The Giants took the series 3-1 but they did not sweep.  That brings the giants back to .500 and outs the A’s .5 games back (but one game ahead in the loss column) of the second WC spot.

And say what you want about Billy Beane, but ai doubt any other GM is capable of taking the A’s payroll and turning that into regular playoff appearances.

BC

lex24 - lex24 - 08-25-2019

Theybswept the two games in Oakland. That was my reference. As for Beane, I will always appreciate that he traded Cespedas in ‘14. Helped the Giants win a WS. He’s a good GM. He’s not some kind of savant.

<p><span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
(08-25-2019, 05:33 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  The Giants took the series 3-1 but they did not sweep. &nbsp;That brings the giants back to .500 and outs the A’s .5 games back (but one game ahead in the loss column) of the second WC spot.

And say what you want about Billy Beane, but ai doubt any other GM is capable of taking the A’s payroll and turning that into regular playoff appearances.

BC

</p>

lex24 - lex24 - 08-26-2019

BTW. - the payroll bit is overhyped. A’s payroll is below average. But not by a whole lot. You want a low payroll team that’s doing great things- try Tampa Bay. Lowest payroll 8n MLB. Play in a lousy baseball area. And they win a lot. Who is their GM? Maybe DiCaprio can play him when they make the movie.....

<p><span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><br></p>