The CardBoard
Costello - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Costello (/showthread.php?tid=17961)

Costello - 82lsju - 08-22-2019

Quote:“As of right now, everybody is healthy,” Shaw said. “K.J. took a little rest, but the past two days he has thrown the ball really well. We were managing his arm. He looks great.”

https://cardreider.wordpress.com/2019/08/22/football-notebook-dont-worry-qb-costello-should-be-good-to-go-for-wildcats/

RE: Costello - SF_Cardinal_Fan - 08-25-2019

(08-22-2019, 08:52 AM)82lsju Wrote:  
Quote:“As of right now, everybody is healthy,” Shaw said. “K.J. took a little rest, but the past two days he has thrown the ball really well. We were managing his arm. He looks great.”

https://cardreider.wordpress.com/2019/08/22/football-notebook-dont-worry-qb-costello-should-be-good-to-go-for-wildcats/

My opinion is that KJ's QB performance regressed from the 2017 season to the 2018 season. Specifically, it seemed liked both his mobility and passing accuracy deteriorated. Do you agree, disagree ?

RE: Costello - Goose - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 09:01 AM)SF_Cardinal_Fan Wrote:  My opinion is that KJ's QB performance regressed from the 2017 season to the 2018 season. Specifically, it seemed liked both his mobility and passing accuracy deteriorated. Do you agree, disagree ?

I certainly agree that his mobility was not in evidence. Part of that was probably recovery from his hip injury, but I expect a whole lot more of it was from him being the only QB that they had confidence in. I suspect he was told not to run, period. That said, he  wasn't the most mobile guy in 2017 either. However, he did run a bit that year. He can do it. However, in 2018, I think he was told not to do so.

I disagree that his accuracy deteriorated. He was being asked to carry the offense with receivers who mostly didn't separate from the defense. It was a lot of jump balls. Those are not trivial to throw, but it is a different skill set that hitting an open man in stride. KJ also had to throw a lot of 50/50 balls, because we couldn't move the chains any other way. He was constantly throwing into coverage by design and necessity, not  by choice. He also was under pressure much more in 2018, because eventually defenses realized we were serious about this passing thing. His completion percentage went up by 6 in 2018, although his interception percentage also increased. That increase is caused by having to be more aggressive.

I think it is difficult to argue his accuracy decreased year over year. This year, 2019, he is being asked to throw to a different kind of receiver, which requires a different skill set. That is actually more of a worry to me. We haven't seen him hit guys in stride for YAK nearly as much as we will need this year. Hopefully, we will have enough of a run game that it won't fall entirely on KJ and his receivers. Hopefully also, to the extent he is called upon, he will deliver.

RE: Costello - SF_Cardinal_Fan - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 10:15 AM)Goose Wrote:  
(08-25-2019, 09:01 AM)SF_Cardinal_Fan Wrote:  My opinion is that KJ's QB performance regressed from the 2017 season to the 2018 season. Specifically, it seemed liked both his mobility and passing accuracy deteriorated. Do you agree, disagree ?

I certainly agree that his mobility was not in evidence. Part of that was probably recovery from his hip injury, but I expect a whole lot more of it was from him being the only QB that they had confidence in. I suspect he was told not to run, period. That said, he  wasn't the most mobile guy in 2017 either. However, he did run a bit that year. He can do it. However, in 2018, I think he was told not to do so.

I disagree that his accuracy deteriorated. He was being asked to carry the offense with receivers who mostly didn't separate from the defense. It was a lot of jump balls. Those are not trivial to throw, but it is a different skill set that hitting an open man in stride. KJ also had to throw a lot of 50/50 balls, because we couldn't move the chains any other way. He was constantly throwing into coverage by design and necessity, not  by choice. He also was under pressure much more in 2018, because eventually defenses realized we were serious about this passing thing. His completion percentage went up by 6 in 2018, although his interception percentage also increased. That increase is caused by having to be more aggressive.

I think it is difficult to argue his accuracy decreased year over year. This year, 2019, he is being asked to throw to a different kind of receiver, which requires a different skill set. That is actually more of a worry to me. We haven't seen him hit guys in stride for YAK nearly as much as we will need this year. Hopefully, we will have enough of a run game that it won't fall entirely on KJ and his receivers. Hopefully also, to the extent he is called upon, he will deliver.

Following the 2017 season I was thrilled with KJ's performance and potential to get even better.
I will think about the points you've made about his 2018 season, thanks. And I certainly hope KJ (and the Cardinal football team) have a sensational 2019 season.

RE: Costello - terry - 08-25-2019

Costello's stats:

..........Compl. Pct.......Yds/Att........Rating
2017......58.8%............7.5.............139.5
2018......65.1%............8.6.............155.0

RE: Costello - OL84 - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 10:43 AM)terry Wrote:  Costello's stats:

..........Compl. Pct.......Yds/Att........Rating
2017......58.8%............7.5.............139.5
2018......65.1%............8.6.............155.0

+1

lex24 - lex24 - 08-25-2019

Disagree. Completely. He was a much better all around QB in ‘18. Accuracy. Delivering on time. Executing the game plan.

<p><span id="sceditor-start-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span><span id="sceditor-end-marker" class="sceditor-selection sceditor-ignore" style="display: none; line-height: 0;"> </span>
(08-25-2019, 09:01 AM)SF_Cardinal_Fan Wrote:  

My opinion is that KJ's QB performance regressed from the 2017 season&nbsp;to the 2018 season. Specifically, it seemed liked both his mobility and passing accuracy deteriorated. Do you agree, disagree ?

</p>

RE: Costello - Mick - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 09:01 AM)SF_Cardinal_Fan Wrote:  

My opinion is that KJ's QB performance regressed from the 2017 season to the 2018 season. Specifically, it seemed liked both his mobility and passing accuracy deteriorated. Do you agree, disagree ?

He might be slightly less mobile.  But his efficiency rating (139 to 155), TDs (14 to 29) and YPG (143 to 272) all increased substantially.  As did his interceptions, from 4 to 11.

I think he was better in 2018, and specifically, I think he'll be much better in 2019.

RE: Costello - washingtonismoney - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 04:13 PM)Mick Wrote:  But his efficiency rating (139 to 155), TDs (14 to 29) and YPG (143 to 272) all increased substantially.  As did his interceptions, from 4 to 11.

Have to benchmark against the increased number of passes, though. So while INTs increased, it wasn't that much when you go relative to passes (1.9% in 2017; 2.7% in 2018). TDs were also modestly increased (7.02% in 2018 vs 6.6%). The big thing was the YPA.

RE: Costello + FAST WRs - ADPinWDC - 08-25-2019

<p>Despite losing 2,000 yards of WR production [JJAW, T.Irwin, and K.Smith], <u>I think he has a broader array of targets in 2019</u>.&nbsp;</p><p>And, what we see all over the country because of much better high school prep and elite programs, is WR's can be productive sooner.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>This WR Corp. all-in&nbsp;might also be a bit faster: M.Wilson, O.St. Brown, Fehoko, Wedington... maybe Brandt-Sims (speed)?&nbsp;</p><p>-- I think these guys get separation.&nbsp; Now add Parkinson and Elijah "Arcega" Higgins -- they specialize in 50-50 balls.&nbsp;</p><p>Shaw is going to start the season giving KJ a lot more leash than in 2018, I sense.&nbsp; Shaw SOUNDS different this year.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>And, over the last 5-8 years MORE of our recruits are coming in from Perennial Power schools:&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>St. John Bosco (went to the State final vs Mater Dei), Oaks Christian, Bishop O'Dowd...&nbsp;</p><p>Those schools EVERY year play 3 or 4 more games at PLAYOFF LEVEL. These kids are essentially JuCo transfers, I submit.</p><p><br></p><p>Example:&nbsp; Kyle McCombs (TE; Jr) and&nbsp;Colby Bowman (WR, Frosh) are both from elite Socal Power St. John Bosco.&nbsp;</p><p>The QB at SJBosco for 2018 was #1 QB in USA, 5-star DJ Uiagalelei, the next TUA. Committed to CLEMSON. This year's Andrew Luck.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>We have two of his recievers.&nbsp; These guys have already tasted elite level in robust, aggressive&nbsp;offensive schemes.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>For Austin Jones, Bishop O'Dowd made it to 3 playoff games in 2017, and 4 in 2018 (won the Div II Title).&nbsp;</p><p>Jones has played an entire extra season over his H.S. career, at an elite level against other players joining&nbsp;Pac12 teams.&nbsp;</p><p>Ditto for QB Tanner McKee coming in from Corona Centennial in 2020.&nbsp; They went to SoCal Final 4 three years in a row.&nbsp;</p><p><br></p><p>ANDREW LUCK never had this array or depth&nbsp;of talent when he was throwing.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Just in the last 8-10 years the H.S. training for the Passing game and&nbsp;7-on-7 in the Summers has leaped way ahead.&nbsp;</p><p>Overwhelm Secondaries by throwing fresh wideouts at them for the entire game.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>Clemson killed Bama in the NatChamp game with a better passing attack, and a SOLID defense. The game has shifted.&nbsp;</p>

RE: Costello - BostonCard - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 06:51 PM)washingtonismoney Wrote:  
(08-25-2019, 04:13 PM)Mick Wrote:  But his efficiency rating (139 to 155), TDs (14 to 29) and YPG (143 to 272) all increased substantially.  As did his interceptions, from 4 to 11.

Have to benchmark against the increased number of passes, though. So while INTs increased, it wasn't that much when you go relative to passes (1.9% in 2017; 2.7% in 2018). TDs were also modestly increased (7.02% in 2018 vs 6.6%). The big thing was the YPA.

Agree with benchmarking stats against attempts.

It's even more impressive when you consider he was asked to cary a greater share of the offense.  It's one thing to throw when opponents were worried about Love pulling out a 50-yard TD run at any time; it's another when opponents knew our run game was struggling and could worry mostly on the pass.

BTW, welcome back from your off-season hibernation.  Hope you are tanned, rested, and ready; I always enjoy your analysis.

BC