The CardBoard
WSoc season opener - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WSoc season opener (/showthread.php?tid=17967)

Pages: 1 2

WSoc season opener - Spiny_Norman - 08-23-2019

Women's soccer starts its season tonight in State College, PA vs. Penn State. Stanford is preseason #3 behind Florida St and North Carolina. UCLA and USC are 4 and 5. Penn State is 6. Tough matchup. Penn State actually has more players on the MAC Hermann watch list than Stanford (3 to 2) because they add BC transfer Samantha Coffey to their roster this year. She was a Hermann award semi-finalist last year when she scored 12 goals and was ACC Midfielder of the Year. Of course Stanford has the best player in the country Catarina Macario. 

The game will be live streamed at 4 pm pacific on the Big 10 Network, but I think you need a subscription. Live stats will be here - https://admin.gopsusports.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/summary

RE: WSoc season opener - Viking_Guy - 08-23-2019

Guess who scores the opener for the season?

Can you say Catarina Macario from a free kick  dancing around several defenders at the edge of the box and chipping the keeper? 

I knew that you could.

1-0 Cardinal, 19th minute.  Can't wait to see the highlight.

VG

RE: WSoc season opener - BostonCard - 08-23-2019

Looks like it was not a free kick, but I don't have the B10N to watch and I don't see highlights posted... still this tweet suggests she dribbled and kicked it in.

BC

Gave up tying goal in 33rd minute. 1-1.  In the run of play, no foul or free kick mentioned.

VG

RE: WSoc season opener - DenverCard - 08-23-2019

Looks like Sophie Smith is not playing.  Still not recovered from her injury of last year?

RE: WSoc season opener - mbdude - 08-23-2019

She played in exhibition against Missouri

And Macario combines with Haley to score again 3 minutes into the second period.

At this point, I'm hoping that every opposing coach's strategy doesn't mirror Anson Dorrance's when faced with a superior player.

VG

Stanford 2 Penn State 1.

Macario with both goals.  Felt like a fair outcome - Cardinal outshot the Nittanys 17-9.

A great result - win on the road over a top-10 team to start the year.  Next up - #11 West Virginia on Sunday in State College as well (about 180 miles from Morgantown.)

One thing I'm watching this season - how Stanford is officiated.  They racked up an awful lot of fouls today in comparison to seasons past. Officials, more aggression, or small sample size?  

In any case, All Right Now! (For the first of hopefully many times this fall!)

VG

OT observation - looked at the BTN page, hoping there might be a late night replay that I could catch this weekend.

Nope.  They don't have a single live sporting event this weekend.  Football replays, coaches shows, and previews.

All of their soccer teams, men's and women's, are in action this weekend.  Not a single live or even tape-delayed game.  Pac-12 only has a couple, but at least they're showing some live events.

Sheesh.

VG

Write-up at GoStanford...

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/8/23/womens-soccer-macario-brace-leads-cardinal.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=commpost_2019-08-23_1A2NIS&utm_campaign=womenssoccer_sg-nonconf_recap_pennstate_

Also, attendance was the second highest in Penn State's history (5,238) per Stanford WSoc twitter.

Second goal was a beaut

BC

RE: WSoc season opener - 81alum - 08-23-2019

(08-23-2019, 07:01 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Write-up at GoStanford...

https://gostanford.com/news/2019/8/23/womens-soccer-macario-brace-leads-cardinal.aspx?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=commpost_2019-08-23_1A2NIS&utm_campaign=womenssoccer_sg-nonconf_recap_pennstate_

Also, attendance was the second highest in Penn State's history (5,238) per Stanford WSoc twitter.

Second goal was a beaut

BC
Yes that was a pretty play!

How do I find a highlight of the first goal?

The second goal was the only one I saw on Twitter.  Maybe the pac-12 nets will have a highlights package.

BC

RE: WSoc season opener - oldalum - 08-24-2019

No Civana Kuhlman in the box score, I hope she will recover soon from her injury.

No frosh started, but highly-touted frosh Kennedy Wesley replaced JoJo Harber (presumably at outside back) after 28 minutes and played the rest of the game. Maya Doms also played significant minutes in midfield. The other new face (to us) was RS frosh Sierra Enge who played the whole game, I assume at midfielder.

The one yellow card was against the "PSU team"; does that mean the bench/coach? Wonder what they did, ride the ref?

RE: WSoc season opener - Spiny_Norman - 08-24-2019

Did someone ask for goal #1?

RE: WSoc season opener - BostonCard - 08-24-2019

Wow.  There were six white shirts around her!

BC

RE: WSoc season opener - 81alum - 08-24-2019

While the second goal was prettier, that first was like a Houdini magic trick.  Completely surrounded by opposing players, she dribbles around and hits the ball while falling down, and it is so perfectly placed that the GK can only watch it go by.  Wow.

RE: WSoc season opener - oldalum - 08-24-2019

The ball was coming right out of the sun--from where she kicked it, the PSU player's shadow heads straight back to the GK. I think the GK couldn't see the ball in the sun, she did not react until the ball was almost by her. The shot was slow enough that she should have been able to block it. But doesn't detract from Macario's incredible wizardry.

RE: WSoc season opener - Spiny_Norman - 08-25-2019

Stanford scored three 1st half goals (from Malatskey, Haley and Enge) and limited 11th ranked West Virginia to 2 shots on goal in a 3-1 victory.

RE: WSoc season opener - BostonCard - 08-25-2019

The mountaineers must be thrilled that they kept Macario off the scoreboard.

BC

RE: WSoc season opener - oldalum - 08-26-2019

Madison Haley's goal against WVU:

Haley goal