The CardBoard
It could be worse - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: It could be worse (/showthread.php?tid=18115)

It could be worse - yvonne - 09-10-2019

We could be giving away tickets to see a Top 5 opponent in the Rose Bowl.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/10/with-no-4-oklahoma-coming-to-town-ucla-literally-giving-away-tickets/

RE: It could be worse - Snorlax94 - 09-10-2019

While things are definitely worse in Westwood, each year Stanford has a “family fun day” with free tickets for kids (with a paying adult) and I believe free tickets for educators.

This year, the family fun day was against Northwestern, and even with that, the stadium was pretty empty. Not as empty as the cavernous Rose Bowl, but pretty empty (though there were a fair number of hidden fans seeking shade in the concourse).

There was also a story the other day about the Giants hitting low attendance records.

RE: It could be worse - Phogge - 09-10-2019

Oracle/At&T/PacBell has been an attraction in itself. Until the Giants win again crowds will be down but never in the Candlestick range. The Hibachi has great sight lines and the 10 year success has been glorious but there is little Stanford mojo in the greater Bay Area. Anybody out there think that crappy attendance has an effect on recruiting?

RE: It could be worse - Farm93 - 09-10-2019

(09-10-2019, 07:31 PM)yvonne Wrote:  We could be giving away tickets to see a Top 5 opponent in the Rose Bowl.
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/10/with-no-4-oklahoma-coming-to-town-ucla-literally-giving-away-tickets/

These are the type of challenges that emerge when you are the most selective UC and the nation's highest rated public university.

RE: It could be worse - chrisk - 09-10-2019

(09-10-2019, 09:24 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
(09-10-2019, 07:31 PM)yvonne Wrote:  We could be giving away tickets to see a Top 5 opponent in the Rose Bowl.

These are the type of challenges that emerge when you are the most selective UC and the nation's highest rated public university.

with a stadium an hour away from campus

RE: It could be worse - SamuelMcF - 09-11-2019

(09-10-2019, 09:24 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Anybody out there think that crappy attendance has an effect on recruiting?

The self-selectors, guys who want to be at Stanford from day 1 (the Bryce Farrells, Myles Hintons, John Humphreys, and Tobin Phillips of the world), will always come.

Crappy attendance and not winning will affect the other guys, and we're starting to see that.

RE: It could be worse - 82lsju - 09-11-2019

(09-10-2019, 10:14 PM)chrisk Wrote:  
(09-10-2019, 09:24 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  

with a stadium an hour away from campus

and your team sucks and got drilled by OU 49-21 last year

RE: It could be worse - d4cohn - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 10:25 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(09-10-2019, 09:24 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Anybody out there think that crappy attendance has an effect on recruiting?

The self-selectors, guys who want to be at Stanford from day 1 (the Bryce Farrells, Myles Hintons, John Humphreys, and Tobin Phillips of the world), will always come.

Crappy attendance and not winning will affect the other guys, and we're starting to see that.

We have won at least 8 games every season for a decade, and I think, despite the angst, we will reach that mark this year. If that is not winning,
then what would that mean for nearly every other program that hasn't achieved that, outside of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and maybe a few others?

Is not winning not going to the Rose Bowl every year? Is not playing for the Pac-12 Championship seemingly every other year at least not good enough?

RE: It could be worse - cardcrimson - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 02:01 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 10:25 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  

We have won at least 8 games every season for a decade, and I think, despite the angst, we will reach that mark this year. If that is not winning,
then what would that mean for nearly every other program that hasn't achieved that, outside of Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and maybe a few others?

Is not winning not going to the Rose Bowl every year? Is not playing for the Pac-12 Championship seemingly every other year at least not good enough?

Kinda begs the question why our recruiting has struggled over the last few years, doesn't it?

It could be worse. . .

RE: It could be worse - fullmetal - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 02:01 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  Is not winning not going to the Rose Bowl every year? Is not playing for the Pac-12 Championship seemingly every other year at least not good enough?

For the recruits, it might not be. Making the CFP seems to be a gold standard these days, and the Pac-12 hasn't really shown up much there, and therefore the Pac-12 might not be getting much respect.

I'm personally satisfied with a Pac-12 championship. The tradition and historical conference ties still hold meaning for me.

RE: It could be worse - French Rage - 09-12-2019

If winning 8 games a year with a shot at going even higher isn't enough for recruits then screw 'em. By definition very few teams can win 10-11. They are more welcome to go to Oregon State where 8 wins would be a miracle.

For the record, I'm cool with a mean around 8. You don't win championships by being a 4 win team year after year and then suddenly going 15-0. You do it by having good teams year and year, learning more as you go, and yes having some pieces magically come together. Remember when we were 1-11. A continual 8/9 win team would have been heaven back then. Yes, it's frustrating when things don't magically come together each year, but you have a hell of a lot of a better chance of it happening bumping around 8/9 wins then 3/4 wins.

RE: It could be worse - cardcrimson - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 09:33 AM)French Rage Wrote:  You do it by having good teams year and year, learning more as you go, and yes having some pieces magically come together.

Learning more as you go. . . .I'm not confident we're learning and improving. As mentioned by many others, complacency seems to have crept in.

RE: It could be worse - Hank 91 - 09-12-2019

Two things.

First, I went to the Stanford-UCLA game last year, and I was stunned by how empty the Rose Bowl was. In fairness, there were a few factors at play -- it was Thanksgiving weekend, the Bruins were playing the last game of an awful season, and Stanford was also down from previous years. Even so, it was shocking to see the wide open spaces in the stands.

Second, a comment on expectations. I don't really worry about the playoffs, perhaps because hasn't seemed like an attainable goal recently. It's a shame the 2015 team had those two missteps, because that was clearly a playoff-calibre team, but things have slipped since then. Like some have said, the goal I typically hold onto is the conference championship game, because a shot at the Rose Bowl is always a good thing. I guested on a UCF podcast last night, and I was asked how big the game was for Stanford fans. I still regret my answer. I said that it doesn't really matter. I quickly explained that all games matter, but that unless this is a team headed for the playoffs -- I acknowledged that theoretically Stanford could win out and end up in the playoffs, in which case this game would matter a lot -- the Oregon game carries much more weight than this one. I still stand by that statement, but I kind of wish I hadn't said it out loud.

RE: It could be worse - Goose - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 12:23 PM)Hank 91 Wrote:  I said that it doesn't really matter. I quickly explained that all games matter, but that unless this is a team headed for the playoffs -- I acknowledged that theoretically Stanford could win out and end up in the playoffs, in which case this game would matter a lot -- the Oregon game carries much more weight than this one. I still stand by that statement, but I kind of wish I hadn't said it out loud.

For sure, it is the truth. We all want Stanford to win, but the Oregon game matters so much more. What we all want to see is an efficient offense that can function with two freshman tackles. You can tell by the lack of traffic on this board that the UCF game isn't moving any meters.

RE: It could be worse - BostonCard - 09-12-2019

It might matter as the difference between a 5-win team staying home for the holidays and a 6-win team that can go bowling.

BC

RE: It could be worse - Mick - 09-12-2019

(09-11-2019, 11:55 PM)fullmetal Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 02:01 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  Is not winning not going to the Rose Bowl every year? Is not playing for the Pac-12 Championship seemingly every other year at least not good enough?

For the recruits, it might not be. Making the CFP seems to be a gold standard these days, and the Pac-12 hasn't really shown up much there, and therefore the Pac-12 might not be getting much respect.

I'm personally satisfied with a Pac-12 championship. The tradition and historical conference ties still hold meaning for me.

This year's juniors and seniors at Stanford were recruited when Stanford finished 12-2 and 10-3. We should have had amazing, spectacular, ridiculously strong recruiting classes. This year's juniors and seniors should have been world beaters.

What happened?

RE: It could be worse - UltimateCard - 09-13-2019

Meanwhile, in Tuscaloosa...
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27608647/bama-tracking-students-check-4-quarter-stays