The CardBoard
Pac-12 after dark - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Pac-12 after dark (/showthread.php?tid=18118)

Pac-12 after dark - 82lsju - 09-11-2019

Pac-12 after dark (7pm or later), to my surprise we have the 3rd fewest late games since 2012

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/09/11/saturday-night-lights-arizona-asu-carry-the-load-when-it-comes-to-pac-12-night-games/?utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fwww.mercurynews.com%2f2019%2f09%2f11%2fsaturday-night-lights-arizona-asu-carry-the-load-when-it-comes-to-pac-12-night-games%2f&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-pac-12-hotline-nl

RE: Pac-12 after dark - qwerty49 - 09-11-2019

"Conference policy forbids ESPN and Fox from scheduling day games on the Arizona campuses in August and September."

So why can't this be extended to California as well?

RE: Pac-12 after dark - BostonCard - 09-11-2019

Current temperature:
San Jose, CA 84
Los Angeles, CA 82
Phoenix, AZ 93
Tucson, AZ 91

The Arizona schools are currently 10 degrees hotter than the California schools, and my guess is that this is typical. Day games in California can be uncomfortable; day games in Arizona can be unhealthy.

BC

(09-11-2019, 01:56 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Current temperature:
San Jose, CA 84
Los Angeles, CA 82
Phoenix, AZ 93
Tucson, AZ 91

The Arizona schools are currently 10 degrees hotter than the California schools, and my guess is that this is typical. Day games in California can be uncomfortable; day games in Arizona can be unhealthy.

BC

That's a vast oversimplification. No question it's hotter in AZ than CA. But as you know the temperature sitting in the Wok on the sunny side in Aug and Sept is significantly higher than the ambient air temperature. I would submit that the stadium was indeed an unhealthy environment during the Northwestern game.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - Farm93 - 09-11-2019

That ambient air stuff applies when sitting in AZ stadiums too.
Not uncommon for AZ cities to enjoy temps well above 100 in August and September. There is a big difference between 80s and 100s.

None of that really matters though.
If the rule were to be expanded the LA schools would be first. And that is the problem.
If the LA schools did not have daytime games then the TV networks would not be allowed to put UCLA and USC in the best September Pac-12 time slots for football. (12:30 and 4:30).
That would significantly lower the value of any Pac-12 deal to networks.
Yes, a schedule could be constructed that excluded those Southern 4 from daytime games, but it would significantly impact the scheduling flexibility of our TV partners and have a devastating impact on the commercial appeal of the conference.

Essentially the TV networks and the Pac-12 agreed to let the AZ schools off the hook because they have always been rather mediocre with very little national appeal. The networks would never have paid the rate the Pac-12 collected if the Cali schools were taken out of the September daytime mix too.

FWIW - My guess is that if ASU or UofA ever had a run of three or four years of top 10 seasons, then the TV networks would seek to obtain an AZ waiver or two per season. I would also predict that the AZ school and the Pac-12 would grant that waiver to get that featured team East Coast media exposure.

We will only see a Pac-12 schedule without Cali schools playing daytime games if the conference falls out of the Power 5 conferences or the conferences embraces the value of Pac-12 after midnight to offer greater appeal to Asia.

FWIW2 - UCB enjoyed a number of seasons without many September daytime home games. That path is easy to replicate BTW. Just lose a bunch of games so that no one really wants to broadcast your games. Then get stuck with the Pac-12 After Dark 8PM time slot on FS1.

(09-11-2019, 03:14 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 01:56 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Current temperature:
San Jose, CA 84
Los Angeles, CA 82
Phoenix, AZ 93
Tucson, AZ 91

BC

That's a vast oversimplification. No question it's hotter in AZ than CA. But as you know the temperature sitting in the Wok on the sunny side in Aug and Sept is significantly higher than the ambient air temperature. I would submit that the stadium was indeed an unhealthy environment during the Northwestern game.

I sat through the Northwestern game in the sun with my wife and three kids. It was hot. It was unpleasant. But it was far from unbearable, let alone unhealthy (unless you have a pre-existing medical condition or are dumb and don’t drink water). And if the game had been at night, my kids (and this my wife) wouldn’t have been able to attend.

BC

RE: Pac-12 after dark - 82lsju - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 06:20 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I sat through the Northwestern game in the sun with my wife and three kids. It was hot. It was unpleasant. But it was far from unbearable, let alone unhealthy (unless you have a pre-existing medical condition or are dumb and don’t drink water). And if the game had been at night, my kids (and this my wife) wouldn’t have been able to attend.

BC

I also sat on the sunny side for the NU game (as we do for all the games) and I believe I'm considerably older than you, and agree it was hot but not unbearable. I was in the lower bowl which seems to be cooler than the upper bowl and did have six bottles of water over the course of the game (wondering when they will stop letting us bring those in to maximize concession revenue). The temperature was tough on the "Touchdown Cookies" (which are chocolate chip cookies)......

(09-11-2019, 07:02 PM)82lsju Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 06:20 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I sat through the Northwestern game in the sun with my wife and three kids. It was hot. It was unpleasant. But it was far from unbearable, let alone unhealthy (unless you have a pre-existing medical condition or are dumb and don’t drink water). And if the game had been at night, my kids (and this my wife) wouldn’t have been able to attend.

BC

I also sat on the sunny side for the NU game (as we do for all the games) and I believe I'm considerably older than you, and agree it was hot but not unbearable. I was in the lower bowl which seems to be cooler than the upper bowl and did have six bottles of water over the course of the game (wondering when they will stop letting us bring those in to maximize concession revenue). The temperature was tough on the "Touchdown Cookies" (which are chocolate chip cookies)......

If 82 refers to your graduation year, then yes, though I suppose that depends on how you define "considerably". I was class of '97.

BC

RE: Pac-12 after dark - 82lsju - 09-11-2019

(09-11-2019, 08:08 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  If 82 refers to your graduation year, then yes, though I suppose that depends on how you define "considerably". I was class of '97.

BC

it does, so I'd consider myself "considerably older" than you, heck back when I was your age I was still playing Ultimate once a week :)

(09-11-2019, 08:23 PM)82lsju Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 08:08 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  If 82 refers to your graduation year, then yes, though I suppose that depends on how you define "considerably". I was class of '97.

BC

it does, so I'd consider myself "considerably older" than you, heck back when I was your age I was still playing Ultimate once a week :)

Well boys, good for you and your young resilient bodies. 50 years on the sunny side, Jim Plunkett was my classmate and it was too damn hot in 235 for me, my hat and my water bottles. There was no one sitting in our section after the first quarter. At least one well-known Cardboarder was down in the concourse with me.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - BobK - 09-12-2019

Make that after the first half, and yes I was with Qwerty.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - 82lsju - 09-12-2019

(09-11-2019, 10:27 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  Well boys, good for you and your young resilient bodies. 50 years on the sunny side, Jim Plunkett was my classmate and it was too damn hot in 235 for me, my hat and my water bottles. There was no one sitting in our section after the first quarter. At least one well-known Cardboarder was down in the concourse with me.

when the stadium opened we were in the upper bowl, after the very hot UCLA game that year (or was it the second year) we moved to the lower bowl which is cooler. In general I find even the lower bowl much hotter than the old stadium which had much better airflow given the construction on a big mound of dirt and more open design.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - Goose - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 10:39 AM)82lsju Wrote:  
(09-11-2019, 10:27 PM)qwerty49 Wrote:  Well boys, good for you and your young resilient bodies. 50 years on the sunny side, Jim Plunkett was my classmate and it was too damn hot in 235 for me, my hat and my water bottles. There was no one sitting in our section after the first quarter. At least one well-known Cardboarder was down in the concourse with me.

when the stadium opened we were in the upper bowl, after the very hot UCLA game that year (or was it the second year) we moved to the lower bowl which is cooler. In general I find even the lower bowl much hotter than the old stadium which had much better airflow given the construction on a big mound of dirt and more open design.

The old stadium was also a lot cooler when it had wooden seats. However, I doubt may would vote for a return to the "old lady". We play few games where the new stadium is too hot. Yes, it sucks when it is, but fortunately that isn't too often. Yes, I am in section 232, which is full sun.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - TreeWeird - 09-12-2019

I agree about the old wooden benches (and airflow).

The answer must lie with graphene somehow.

RE: Pac-12 after dark - qwerty49 - 09-12-2019

(09-12-2019, 12:30 PM)Goose Wrote:  
(09-12-2019, 10:39 AM)82lsju Wrote:  

The old stadium was also a lot cooler when it had wooden seats. However, I doubt may would vote for a return to the "old lady". We play few games where the new stadium is too hot. Yes, it sucks when it is, but fortunately that isn't too often. Yes, I am in section 232, which is full sun.

My point is simply that if the conference can tell TV that Aug/Sept day games in AZ are not happening, then there is precedent to extend that to Calif as well.

Pre-Scott, Stanford recognized this weather issue back when it still had some control of kickoff times. Even Harbs saw this when he switched sidelines.

But for a number of reasons, I suspect the issue will be moot after the Oregon game anyway.