The CardBoard
WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 (/showthread.php?tid=18464)

Pages: 1 2

WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - 81alum - 11-09-2019

Preview:

Tara takes our experienced team and our fab four frosh north to take on the USF Dons today.  USF is coached by our own WBB alum Molly Goodenbour.  USF just played Northern Colorado and beat them 90-83; we get Northern Colorado on Thursday.  Watch out!  In that game, a USF freshman from Greece who was not on anyone's radar--Ioanna Krimoli--scored 32 points.  She made 18/20 free throws--from which I gather that she is quick and slashes to the basket where the Northern Colorado girls repeatedly fouled her.  Given our lack of experience/quickness inside, this sounds like our biggest defensive assignment.  USF also has a 6' grad student forward from Canada, Mikayla Williams, who went 7/12 from inside.  One would think that our bigs can probably handle her, but she is a lot more experienced than anyone but Nadia.  USF made just 4 three pointers against Northern Colorado--Krimoli made 2 and attempted 5--but it does not look like the three point shot is a major part of their game.  USF has a couple of 6'2" players from eastern Europe but that is about the extent of their height, and neither of them played against Northern Colorado.  No one over 6' played, in fact, meaning that we could see a block party inside.  The USF player who gave us the most trouble last year--the Polish girl Julia Nielacna--played just 5 minutes last week.

I'll be watching the live feed from home, recovering from minor surgery.  Will count on Chimera and friends at the game to chime in with their observations!

The game seems to be available on the WCC network, but I will find out more at gametime I guess.  Doesn't seem to be a charge:
https://watchstadium.com/network/wcc-network/

Here is last year's thread.  We won by making 15 treys.
https://thecardboard.org/board/showthread.php?tid=16786&pid=235292&highlight=wbb%3A#pid235292

Overview:

Stanford led wire to wire, but not by the enormous margins that buried Eastern Washington.   Lexie Hull had one of her best days with 27 points, including 5/7 from three point range, to go with 8 rebounds and 3 assists.  As a team we shot 49% and held them to 35%, and impressively had 22 assists to their 4--which probably explains our higher shot percentage.  We moved the ball well and shot it well, and while we were not dominant defensively we were good.

Performances:

Lexie Hull should be a regular starter if she keeps putting up those numbers, mentioned above.  She was in for 35 minutes, more than any other player.

Carrington also had a strong game, going 7/14 for 16 points and snagging 8 rebounds in 25 minutes.  That is probably about as long as Carrington should be playing at this point, saving the wear and tear for later in the season.

Williams continues to struggle offensively, going 2/12, but she covered the point guard position well with 7 assists to 0 turnovers, in 29 minutes.  Tara clearly trusts her to run the offense even when she is not scoring.  

Jerome had a solid all-around game but for three fouls, going 3/6 from three point range in 15 minutes.

Fingall just does not seem back to her old self, to me.  2 points in 7 minutes.

Belibi played reasonably well in 9 short minutes, going 2/3.  Not sure why Tara used her so sparingly.

Prechtel continues to distinguish herself, with 9 rebounds and going 4/8 shooting in 15 minutes

Jones still seems to be adjusting to the college level.  4 turnovers and 2 fouls, but she did score 8 and grab 2 steals--all in only 5 minutes. 

Jump came down to earth today and went 0/3.  As with many three point shooters, she has been streaky lately, starting the last game 0 of 3 before going 4 of 4, and now 0/3.

Wilson got 15 minutes, scored 4 points, an assist and a steal.

Conclusion:

A good victory away, with plenty to work on.   There are too many good players to give them all time to develop in game--which may be responsible for some uneven performances.  How much can you learn in only a few minutes of gametime?  But one thing is emphatically clear--Lexie will be a starter if she continues to play like this, both because of her offense and her defense.

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - Jskass - 11-09-2019

Hoping to go. Any hints from others on where to sit or if a Stanford block?

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - Baez87 - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 08:29 AM)Jskass Wrote:  Hoping to go. Any hints from others on where to sit or if a Stanford block?

Apparently the team bench will be in alignment with Section 104. I read somewhere that Stanford fans were sitting in Sections 104, 105, and 106. I'm in Section 104, Row 12. See you at the game!

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - qwerty49 - 11-09-2019

Here's a slightly different link for the live feed that may or may not work....

https://watchstadium.com/live/stanford-at-san-francisco-2/

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - BostonCard - 11-09-2019

Hope you have a quick recovery from your procedure!

BC

Need to watch the women to get the flavor of that disaster of a football game out of my mouth.

BC

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - JJJ - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 04:19 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  Need to watch the women to get the flavor of that disaster of a football game out of my mouth.

BC

Exactly.

22-13 after the first quarter.  We’ve played well, but I feel like we’ve left some points on the board.

BC

Must be really confusing with three three point lines out there.

BC

Sloppy second quarter.

BC

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - 81alum - 11-09-2019

At the half 44-32.  Our offense is working, especially for Lexie and Carrington.  Our defense could use some work.  Krimili has 11 points and the Dons with 5 treys.

Yeah, we are cruising, but it’s a sloppy game.

BC

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - mbdude - 11-09-2019

Would like to see some of the players stay on the floor longer. See how the combinations work

7-oh run to start the second half.

BC

RE: WBB: Stanford @ USF 3pm Saturday - JJJ - 11-09-2019

It’s cool that they’re playing at Chase Center.

75-52 after three.  The Hulls are going off.

BC

97-71 is the final against a cleverly overmatched USF team.  12 players scored, led by Hull, who had 27.

A bit sloppy, but I liked that the team really did its best to push it.  In the past, I’ve witnessed us wind the shot clock down with perimeter passes and not attempt to score until the shot clock got under 10.  I saw much more aggressiveness, with players taking defenders off the dribble and taking the first good available opportunity to penetrate and drive USF off balance.  It led to more turnovers than I would like, but I do like this more aggressive offense.

BC

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - 81alum - 11-09-2019

Write up done at the top.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - Jskass - 11-09-2019

Think Belibi was getting pushed around in the middle. Their bodies were big and we later took advantage of our speed vs. their relative heft, driving to the basket and letting the refs call fouls. Belibi is a tad small for the 5.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - BosCard - 11-09-2019

What a breakout game for Lexie Hull.  And she made it look soooo easy.  Finishing those back cuts with contact isn't easy (nor is splashing 3's) and she did both so well.  Reminds me of the McPhee/Samuelson years when I wished McPhee had Samuelson's 3-point shooting prowess or Samuelson could finish at the rim like McPhee.  Well we might just have that player and her name is Lexie Hull.  And she is just a sophomore.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - martyup - 11-09-2019

Lexie is a clinic on how to play defense.  She "stays in character" at all times, maintaining proper distance, footing and hand position.  Lacie is not far behind in her performances as well.  I'm really excited to watch these two sisters take Stanford deep into the NCAA tourney.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - qwerty49 - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 06:29 PM)Jskass Wrote:  Think Belibi was getting pushed around in the middle. Their bodies were big and we later took advantage of our speed vs. their relative heft, driving to the basket and letting the refs call fouls. Belibi is a tad small for the 5.

I’m thinking by the end of the year Tara might be going small at times with Williams/Wilson, Carrington, Lexie, Jones and whoever emerges as our best running big (like the Warriors when Draymond played the 5).

We should have a better view of post development (Fingall/Dodson, Prechtel, Belibi) by the time conference play comes around. A couple of games against Hebard will tell us a lot.

RE: WBB: Stanford 97 USF 71 - bl82 - 11-09-2019

Time to admit that with a healthy Lexie, there is now officially a big three: Kiana, DiJonai and Lexie.