The CardBoard
WBB # 1 - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: WBB # 1 (/showthread.php?tid=18656)

WBB # 1 - BobK - 12-02-2019

https://twitter.com/StanfordWBB/status/1201562520198225925/photo/1

RE: WBB # 1 - Jskass - 12-02-2019

Congrats though I don’t like this one bit! We need to stay very hungry (and pray to get healthy - Williams, Carrington and Dodson especially). Focus.

TheWildJacko - TheWildJacko - 12-02-2019

And 3 of the top 5 teams are in the Pac-12.

RE: WBB # 1 - crackpot - 12-02-2019

Yeah, this makes me nervous. I hope my fears are proven wrong.

I can easily make an argument for those Louisville votes. But for the life of me, I cannot figure out those UConn votes.

Whoa. In trying to figure out which idiots voted for UConn, I go to ncaa.com and click on the Stanford Rises to No. 1 story. It took me to this 3-week-old article: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2019-11-11/oregon-baylor-stanford-lead-ap-top-25-rankings

I see that they fixed the link, but what the heck does the last 11 minutes of the 1998 Harvard game have to do with this article? Cruel, just cruel.

RE: WBB # 1 - mbdude - 12-02-2019

1st time in 7 years ranked no. 1

RE: WBB # 1 - M T - 12-02-2019

It is pretty easy to be a Stanford fan:  You get to avoid the agony of defeat more than any fan of any other set of teams.

I'm sorry that FB had a tough year (it puts a different meaning to "Next starts now"), but right now,
WBB, MWP, WSoc are ranked #1.  WVB was knocked out of #1
due to a now-healed injury and appears to have a good chance to win out.   MSoc is in the elite 8.
Cross Country got a 3rd & 6th.  We can look forward to WWP, Tennis, Golf, S&D and a host of other sports.

Congrats & thanks to all the student-athletes, their coaches & trainers & assistants that do the everyday work (incl. recruiting), and the administration that makes it all work!

RE: WBB # 1 - JTM - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 11:24 AM)Jskass Wrote:  Congrats though I don’t like this one bit! We need to stay very hungry (and pray to get healthy - Williams, Carrington and Dodson especially). Focus.

+1  And add Fingall to the list of get/stay healthy.

RE: WBB # 1 - Spiny_Norman - 12-02-2019

I love this!! Any development that elevates Stanford, brings the program national attention and keeps UConn off of the top of the ESPN newsfeed is a good thing. Yes, I expect Stanford to stumble at some point during the season. Any team that relies so much on frosh will likely hit a wall eventually. You just hope that they can fight through it.

If the experienced upperclass players can get and stay healthy, the model for this team could be the 2016 WVB team. 4 incredible frosh plus Inky Ajanaku = national championship. At one point in the middle of the season, that team lost 3 of 4 matches. But they got it together and peaked at the right time.

RE: WBB # 1 - Austroturf - 12-02-2019

And the men received two votes in Coaches' poll:

Others receiving votes: Utah State 62, Florida 60, Xavier 59, Texas Tech 30, Saint Mary's 26, VCU 23, San Diego State 19, Purdue 17, Oklahoma 16, West Virginia 12, DePaul 12, Kansas State 10, Arkansas 8, Wichita State 4, Texas 3, Indiana 3, Stanford 2, Penn State 2, Stephen F. Austin 1, Tulane 1

RE: WBB # 1 - 2006alum - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 05:38 PM)Austroturf Wrote:  And the men received two votes in Coaches' poll:

Others receiving votes: Utah State 62, Florida 60, Xavier 59, Texas Tech 30, Saint Mary's 26, VCU 23, San Diego State 19, Purdue 17, Oklahoma 16, West Virginia 12, DePaul 12, Kansas State 10, Arkansas 8, Wichita State 4, Texas 3, Indiana 3, Stanford 2, Penn State 2, Stephen F. Austin 1, Tulane 1

Whoa. Is this the first time Stanford MBB has ever received ranking votes since Haase became coach?

RE: WBB # 1 - cardcrimson - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 03:17 PM)M T Wrote:  It is pretty easy to be a Stanford fan:  You get to avoid the agony of defeat more than any fan of any other set of teams.

I'm sorry that FB had a tough year (it puts a different meaning to "Next starts now"), but right now,
due to a now-healed injury and appears to have a good chance to win out.   MSoc is in the elite 8.
Cross Country got a 3rd & 6th.  We can look forward to WWP, Tennis, Golf, S&D and a host of other sports.

Congrats & thanks to all the student-athletes, their coaches & trainers & assistants that do the everyday work (incl. recruiting), and the administration that makes it all work!

Great. Just great. Tempting the woofing gods, are we?

RE: WBB # 1 - 76lsjumb - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 05:38 PM)Austroturf Wrote:  And the men received two votes in Coaches' poll:

We received 2 votes. Stephen F. Austin received 1 vote.  Stephen F. Austin beat Duke.  

Q.E.D., we are better than Duke.

RE: WBB # 1 - JoanBoothe - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 06:57 PM)76lsjumb Wrote:  

We received 2 votes. Stephen F. Austin received 1 vote.  Stephen F. Austin beat Duke.  

Q.E.D., we are better than Duke.

How many other schools' chatboards would see "Q.E.D" and have everyone know precisely what it means (even if you don't know the precise Latin --  Quod erat demonstrandum) Love it!

RE: WBB # 1 - 81alum - 12-02-2019

Anything could happen with such a young team.  I could see us dropping some games that we ought to win--we already have nearly done that--but also winning a game or two we might not be expected to.  Such is the nature of young teams.  Tara I think almost prefers to have a loss early in the season if it identifies weaknesses and motivates the team to improve.  Obviously she hates losing at tournament time.

But if we improve every week, if the freshmen continue to gain experience and begin to play defense more like seniors, if our players get healthy, if we have just a smidgen of luck on a road trip to Oregon, then the sky is the limit.  The talent level is there for a national championship, but a lot of other things have to go our way for us to have a chance of realizing that possibility.

At this point our greatest challenge may be the difficulty in settling on a rotation.  It is great to have depth, and Tara may go with a larger rotation than her customary 7 at tournament time--but the team also needs experience and cohesiveness playing together and that won't happen if we keep rotating 12 or more.  For the life of me I don't know who is going to be in that year-end rotation.

In other news, Gonzaga is proving that it is for real.  It beat undefeated Purdue on Sunday to win its tournament, and moved up 4 spots. 

Since Buffalo's losing California trip it has won twice.  It has no more top flight games on its schedule but I could see it winning out over the lesser competition.

Massey computer rankings:
Louisville 1
Connecticut 2
Baylor 3
Oregon 4
Stanford 5
Mississippi State 6
Oregon State 7
South Carolina 8
UCLA 9
Maryland 10
Indiana 11
Gonzaga 12
Arizona 18
Tennessee 25
Cal 38
Arizona State 42
Syracuse 49
Ohio State 55
Buffalo 78
Texas 90
USF 122
N Colorado 160
Cal Baptist 193
E Washington 261

RE: WBB # 1 - ColoradoTree - 12-03-2019

(12-02-2019, 03:17 PM)M T Wrote:  It is pretty easy to be a Stanford fan:  You get to avoid the agony of defeat more than any fan of any other set of teams.

I believe the men's soccer team was #1 earlier this season, too, making women's basketball the fifth Stanford team to be ranked #1 so far this year. 

And at the risk of furthering thread drift (quelle horreur), this is a big weekend for those fall sports. The women's volleyball team kicks off NCAAs at Maples, and the men's soccer team will try and upset Clemson to make it to the College Cup (on Friday at 3:00pm), but two championships will be decided this weekend--men's water polo and women's soccer, and we're in the semifinals of both. As for women's soccer, the semifinal is Friday at 6:30pm against UCLA, and if we win, the final (probably vs. UNC) is Sunday at 5:30pm. The men's water polo semifinal (probably vs. USC) is Saturday at 8:00pm, and the final is Sunday at 6pm (probably vs. Pacific).

RE: WBB # 1 - 81alum - 12-08-2019

Mississippi State just lost to West Virginia, making our win over them look not quite so significant. 

UConn is annihilating Notre Dame, whose leading scorer after a half (with 9) is Marta Sniezek.

Texas squeaked by Tennessee 66-60 in Tennessee.  Perhaps Texas is better than they have looked, or Tennessee is worse.  We will get to find out answers to both those questions.

Just starting is Gonzaga at Washington State.  That will be an interesting reflection on us, depending on how it turns out.

RE: WBB # 1 - mbdude - 12-08-2019

Gonzaga 76 -53

RE: WBB # 1 - 81alum - 12-08-2019

Sniezek wound up scoring 14 on 5/8 shooting, including 1/4 from three point range.  She had 6 assists and 4 steals against UConn, but also 4 turnovers.

She seems to have figured out some offense, and did well against an elite team.  Good for her.

The rest of her team did not fare so well.  UConn 81 Notre dame 57.

And good for Gonzaga!  They have won 6 in a row after losing in overtime to us, including Purdue and now Washington State--so they are not just mid majors.  I think if they were in the Pac 12 they really would be in the top half.

RE: WBB # 1 - Lorcan - 12-08-2019

(Yesterday, 05:45 PM)mbdude Wrote:  Gonzaga 76 -53

December 20th is a big game for Gonzaga, against fellow mid-major power Missouri State. I really hope that Gonzaga gets to host this year along with several other western teams. I don't know how you fairly seed Gonzaga if they continue to win out and finish with 1-2 losses this year with one being an OT loss in Maples. If we can send them to UConn's region, I'll be pleased, although, I'm sure the committee will try and keep them in Portland.