The CardBoard
Coaching Chaos! - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Coaching Chaos! (/showthread.php?tid=18657)

Pages: 1 2

Coaching Chaos! - Hank 91 - 12-02-2019

Kyle Bonagura -- a trusted source -- is reporting that Chris Petersen is stepping down at Washington. No explanation yet. Also, there are rumors that Leach could be leaving for the Mississippi job. Absolutely crazy -- but not bad news for Stanford football.

The Petersen departure has been confirmed by the University of Washington. The quote from Petersen: "I'll be a Husky for live, but now is the right time for me to step away from my head coaching duties, and recharge." He will remain with the program in a leadership advisory role.

Apparently the Leach move is just a hoax at this point.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - OutsiderFan - 12-02-2019

https://gohuskies.com/news/2019/12/2/football-petersen-to-step-down-lake-named-new-huskies-head-coach.aspx

RE: Coaching Chaos! - Spiny_Norman - 12-02-2019

Did not see that one coming. Peterson is only 55 years old. I don't think UW will be his final HC job.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - d4cohn - 12-02-2019

To me at least, the particular surliness of some of Leach's press conferences,
indicated to me that he might jump to another
program at the end of the season. So I am not surprised by those rumors (if they end up being true of course).

The Petersen resignation is surprising, but reading the conversation on UW message boards,
the fanbase has been pretty upset with this season's 7-5 disappointment. It seems, after all the success
Petersen has had the past couple of years at UW, that they have become used to NY6 bowls and
the like.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - cardcrimson - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:00 PM)Hank 91 Wrote:  Kyle Bonagura -- a trusted source -- is reporting that Chris Petersen is stepping down at Washington. No explanation yet. Also, there are rumors that Leach could be leaving for the Mississippi job. Absolutely crazy -- but not bad news for Stanford football.

The Petersen departure has been confirmed by the University of Washington. The quote from Petersen: "I'll be a Husky for live, but now is the right time for me to step away from my head coaching duties, and recharge." He will remain with the program in a leadership advisory role.

Apparently the Leach move is just a hoax at this point.

Perhaps Tavita to Washington State?!? He has the family history and all. . . . .

RE: Coaching Chaos! - bbm233 - 12-02-2019

This must have been contemplated for some time, as the Huskies named Jimmy Lake (current DC) as the new head coach. You don't do that if it is a surprise inside the AD. An interesting choice, as the complaints about the Huskies for the past two years have been on the offensive side of the ball. It was expected that they would look for a new OC to replace Bush Hamdan, who people felt was not getting it done in his two years (Jonathan Smith was the previous OC). I suspect we will see a house cleaning on that side.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - Phogge - 12-02-2019

Why would anyone hire Tavita unless they want to pay bottom basement?

(12-02-2019, 12:21 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Why would anyone hire Tavita unless they want to pay bottom basement?

Maybe they know he's got more to offer and will flourish when no longer OC in title only?

RE: Coaching Chaos! - Farm93 - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:08 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  The Petersen resignation is surprising, but reading the conversation on UW message boards,
the fanbase has been pretty upset with this season's 7-5 disappointment. It seems, after all the success
Petersen has had the past couple of years at UW, that they have become used to NY6 bowls and
the like.
Huh?  A coach that could make 2X or 3X his current salary in far more prestigious roles might leave if the fanbase's expectations at the nice environment place begin to become more unrealistic than the unrealistic expectations at those places that pay 2X or 3X?   Huh?

UW is not exactly the perfect location for recruiting, but the facilities there are better than most in the Pac-12.   They should get a decent coach given the recent stadium renovations, the season ticket holder fanbase and the importance of the program within the State of Washington.

The annual coaching musical chairs game should be quite active over the next 3 weeks.  

I wonder if Wilcox will stay or if he will take one of these spots.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - Spiny_Norman - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:31 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  The annual coaching musical chairs game should be quite active over the next 3 weeks. 

Fans can follow all of the action here - https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coaching-carousel-tracker-grades-analysis-on-2019-20-hires-changes/

RE: Coaching Chaos! - cardcrimson - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:31 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
(12-02-2019, 12:08 PM)d4cohn Wrote:  The Petersen resignation is surprising, but reading the conversation on UW message boards,
the like.
Huh?  A coach that could make 2X or 3X his current salary in far more prestigious roles might leave if the fanbase's expectations at the nice environment place begin to become more unrealistic than the unrealistic expectations at those places that pay 2X or 3X?   Huh?

UW is not exactly the perfect location for recruiting, but the facilities there are better than most in the Pac-12.   They should get a decent coach given the recent stadium renovations, the season ticket holder fanbase and the importance of the program within the State of Washington.

The annual coaching musical chairs game should be quite active over the next 3 weeks.  

As noted above, Lake, UW's DC was promoted to take the job.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - Farm93 - 12-02-2019

I am not sure UW had to promote their DC Lake, but I guess that continuity is important for the upcoming letter of intent date.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - d4cohn - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:31 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  
the like.

I mean, the UW fanbase's expectations are no different than the Oregon fanbase's expectations for their program now that they have achieved success on Belotti/Kelly. UO fired Helfrich, who took them to a national championship game, only ~3 years later. UW under Don James in the '90's was dominant (as dominant as SC has been at their peak(s)), winning a national championship. UW under Petersen either went to the CFP or went to NY6 bowls three successive years. As such, the big step back to 7-5 (with top 2 recruiting classes in the Pac consistently) has caused consternation within the Husky fanbase, as they think with their tradition, consistent recruiting at the top of the Pac-12, and recent and prior dominance, that they should be in the conversation or close to it every year. 

We may view UW or UO in a different category than Clemson, Ohio State etc., or even USC, but their fanbases see their programs as college football powerhouses. 

I am also seeing that some Husky fans think Jimmy Lake (who got promoted to HC) is the source of their success rather than Chris (due to Lake's apparent ace recruiter status). Lake is a talented coach, but there is more to being a successful HC than X's and O's or recruiting. 

In his statement, Petersen referred to wanting to re-charge, so I can imagine the all-encompassing nature of being a CFB head coach, coupled with the pressure from this year's "down year", factored into his decision.

Also, I think Petersen has the highest salary in the conference at $6+ million a year, so maybe a couple of SEC programs could maybe pay him more, but not many. I am not even sure USC could pay him more than $6 million a year.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - SamuelMcF - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:23 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
(12-02-2019, 12:21 PM)Phogge Wrote:  Why would anyone hire Tavita unless they want to pay bottom basement?

Maybe they know he's got more to offer and will flourish when no longer OC in title only?

+1000

(12-02-2019, 12:35 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  I am not sure UW had to promote their DC Lake, but I guess that continuity is important for the upcoming letter of intent date.

Lake didn't take other jobs previously because he was promised the UW HC position when Petersen left. Apparently turned down Alabama DC job because of this promise that came to fruition today.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - SamuelMcF - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 12:55 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  
(12-02-2019, 12:35 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  I am not sure UW had to promote their DC Lake, but I guess that continuity is important for the upcoming letter of intent date.

Lake didn't take other jobs previously because he was promised the UW HC position when Petersen left. Apparently turned down Alabama DC job because of this promise that came to fruition today.

Maybe a bit conspiracy-esque, but it seems possible to me that combined with UW's dip this season and the early firings of HCs at some P5 programs, Lake forced their hand and said "make good on that promise or I'm taking the job at FSU/BC/Arkansas/Missouri." They've probably talked to him...as you mentioned, Alabama wanted him as DC a year or 2 ago, so it's not too much of a stretch that such programs would consider him for HC.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - BostonCard - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 01:21 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  
(12-02-2019, 12:55 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote:  

Maybe a bit conspiracy-esque, but it seems possible to me that combined with UW's dip this season and the early firings of HCs at some P5 programs, Lake forced their hand and said "make good on that promise or I'm taking the job at FSU/BC/Arkansas/Missouri." They've probably talked to him...as you mentioned, Alabama wanted him as DC a year or 2 ago, so it's not too much of a stretch that such programs would consider him for HC.

That seems far fetched.  Petersen is a proven head coach who had a bad season.  Jimmy Lake has never been a head coach before.  Not all skills translate.  I'm not sure if Washington wanted to keep Petersen or not, but I doubt Lake was what would have prompted them to encourage him to "recharge".  I find it hard to believe that Washington would push Petersen out, but you never know.

BC

RE: Coaching Chaos! - winflop - 12-02-2019

Also now being reported that Petersen is staying at UW in an advisory capacity. So maybe he really is just burned out and needs a break.

RE: Coaching Chaos! - donkey687 - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 01:38 PM)winflop Wrote:  Also now being reported that Petersen is staying at UW in an advisory capacity. So maybe he really is just burned out and needs a break.

Any recruits on our list that committed to UW that we can poach?

(12-02-2019, 01:48 PM)donkey687 Wrote:  
(12-02-2019, 01:38 PM)winflop Wrote:  Also now being reported that Petersen is staying at UW in an advisory capacity. So maybe he really is just burned out and needs a break.

Any recruits on our list that committed to UW that we can poach?

Lake is the driving force for the top UW recruits on Defense, and their fans wanted the OC fired in part because they aren't recruiting well enough on Offense for UW peeps. Trent McDuffie and Elijah Molden were both DBs Stanford missed out on to UW in the last two cycles that seemed Stanford admittable, IIRC.  Lake is probably a big reason why they went there.