The CardBoard
Read it and cry - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Read it and cry (/showthread.php?tid=18658)

Read it and cry - OutsiderFan - 12-02-2019

PFF All PAC-12 team has two Stanford players. One position player earned honorable mention. For reference, Utah had 6 first team defensive players. Stanford’s recruiting classes are consistently better than Utah’s FWIW.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-2019-pff-all-pac-12-team?fbclid=IwAR1XAtgtCLqFgjFzkmbc7swssxtF1t7EzUY-5PhwGyuSMo-VXhx5ggSNyPU

This is as good of a place as any for me to make this observation. The notion that Parkinson or Adebo or Little are ready for the NFL is pure fantasy. All three were pre-season All Americans and none of them could even earn Honorable Mention in the PAC-12. Only one could stay healthy and none did anything to live up to expectations.

The lack of player development in the Stanford football program is as alarming as the record, though they are seemingly two sides of the same coin.

RE: Read it and cry - Canalejas - 12-02-2019

Are there any assistant coaches out there that have caught your eye and that should be on our wish list?

RE: Read it and cry - BostonCard - 12-02-2019

I think your point is well made. I would note, however, that the NFL drafts based on projections on how you will do as a professional, not how you did as a college player (though of course the latter is somewhat predictive of the former). I assume that the draft stock for all three players has fallen significantly, due to questions of health, ability, or both. But low college production players have occasionally been highly based on a combination of “potential” and combine results.

BC 

Ps, I assume you didn’t mean it that way, but the statement “Only one could stay healthy“ makes it sound like it’s their fault for getting injured.

RE: Read it and cry - OutsiderFan - 12-02-2019

(12-02-2019, 10:04 PM)BostonCard Wrote:  I think your point is well made. I would note, however, that the NFL drafts based on projections on how you will do as a professional, not how you did as a college player (though of course the latter is somewhat predictive of the former). I assume that the draft stock for all three players has fallen significantly, due to questions of health, ability, or both. But low college production players have occasionally been highly based on a combination of “potential” and combine results.

BC 

Ps, I assume you didn’t mean it that way, but the statement “Only one could stay healthy“ makes it sound like it’s their fault for getting injured.

Staying healthy is a skill and it is highly valuable.

(12-02-2019, 09:52 PM)Canalejas Wrote:  Are there any assistant coaches out there that have caught your eye and that should be on our wish list?

I’m so done with Lance Anderson. The steady decline of the defense is just glaring, and he hasn’t coached anyone at his position to any accolades of note since Trent Murphy? That in mind:
https://goaztecs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/zach-arnett/490

San Diego State is #9 in FBS Yards Per Play in 2019. They were #32 in Arnett’s first year of 2018. And I’m also over Pete Hansen. Arnett would kill two birds with one stone, and Shaw could find a dedicated OLB coach.

RE: Read it and cry - doubledub - 12-02-2019

Charlie Strong is now on the market, he would be a great Defensive Coordinator (as he was in his past). Surely cannot be worse than Lance Anderson.

RE: Read it and cry - Phogge - 12-03-2019

All Evan Weaver did is lead the country in tackles. Not making the first team is horseshit.

RE: Read it and cry - OutsiderFan - 12-03-2019

(12-02-2019, 11:41 PM)doubledub Wrote:  Charlie Strong is now on the market, he would be a great Defensive Coordinator (as he was in his past). Surely cannot be worse than Lance Anderson.

One thing I wonder about is whether Stanford will ever move to a 4-3 defense because that is what Strong has always coached. 

What is nice about Arnett is he runs a 3-3-5 defense that would fit Stanford pretty well, IMO. SDSU doesn’t have any big DL and he is getting real results.

RE: Read it and cry - winflop - 12-03-2019

I agree the defense hasn't been as good the last couple years as it has in the past, but if one of the two coordinators has to go it's not Anderson. No way Shaw gets rid of both of them.

Other than S&C which needs a major overhaul, Hansen is the position coach who most needs to go.

RE: Read it and cry - Row80Critic - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 08:34 AM)winflop Wrote:  I agree the defense hasn't been as good the last couple years as it has in the past, but if one of the two coordinators has to go it's not Anderson. No way Shaw gets rid of both of them.

Other than S&C which needs a major overhaul, Hansen is the position coach who most needs to go.

Saban would get rid of both of them.  Swinney would get rid of both of them. Riley would get rid of both of them. Harbaugh would get rid of both of them.  Etc.  Just say'n.

RE: Read it and cry - BostonCard - 12-03-2019

Harbaugh let go of Andy Buh, right?  I think that is the only coordinator that he pushed out while here.  Buh for Fangio was a definite upgrade.

At Michigan, I think Harbaugh shuffled his offensive staff after last year.  It doesn't seem to have made much of a difference, despite Patterson coming back for his senior year.

BC

RE: Read it and cry - SamuelMcF - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 09:22 AM)Row80Critic Wrote:  
(12-03-2019, 08:34 AM)winflop Wrote:  I agree the defense hasn't been as good the last couple years as it has in the past, but if one of the two coordinators has to go it's not Anderson. No way Shaw gets rid of both of them.

Saban would get rid of both of them.  Swinney would get rid of both of them. Riley would get rid of both of them. Harbaugh would get rid of both of them.  Etc.  Just say'n.

Texas DID get rid of both of them. So did NORTH Texas (who by the way went from 9-4 to 4-8, sound familiar?), for crying out loud.

I still think Akina is coasting on past accomplishments with 5* talent at Texas, btw. He has had 1 player drafted from his position group in the last 4 years. Even Hansen (who I also agree should go) has had two...

RE: Read it and cry - BostonCard - 12-03-2019

Interesting analysis (unfortunately, I can't see the graphs)

https://mgoblog.com/comment/818953

A couple comments:
Firing Andy Buh and Ron Lynn as co-defensive coordinators in 2009/10 was the second best defensive move in the table.  Stanford's defense improved 74 spots and went from 96th to 22nd.  Also, Cal had the third worst firing back in 2007.

Quote:Before you type tl;dr, here's a quick summary of findings: changing the defensive coordinator of a poorly performing defensive unit tends to lead to a modest improvement in the next year. Changing an offensive coordinator is much more of a crapshoot with no clear trends, even if we look at performance two years after the change.

Quote:Fun fact – note that replacing a staff entirely leads to about the same change as keeping the same staff.

That might be an argument for replacing Anderson but keeping Pritchard.

Note the analysis was done in 2010 for a Michigan blog.  In that year, Michigan had a defensive FEI of -.51; the next year their defensive FEI was 0.69, one of the biggest FEI improvements I've seen.  Of course, how much of that was due to new DC Greg Mattison and how much of it was due to new head coach Brady Hoke is hard to tease out.

BC

RE: Read it and cry - winflop - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 09:22 AM)Row80Critic Wrote:  

Not saying it's the wrong move. Just saying Shaw's not going to do it, and if he is going to replace even one coordinator it needs to be Fanboy Hero