The CardBoard
Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition (/showthread.php?tid=18857)

Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - BostonCard - 01-13-2020

https://apple.news/AThsDYBzsSwaepNREHENbVg

Apparently we aren't the only team with a dozen players sitting in the portal.  UCLA under Chip Kelly has also faced some possible transfers.

Quote:The most noteworthy of those departures were Howard and Murray. Howard earned honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors in 2018, while Murray started every game during his two seasons with the Bruins.

Thompson started every game in 2018 but missed all of 2019 due to injury.

Thompson is a linebacker, which I hear is a position of need.

This statement stood out:

Quote:Back in mid-October, it was reported that a whopping 63 players had left Chip Kelly’s team since November of 2017 for various reasons. As a result, we wrote at the time, not only was the team down a number of scholarship players, but the bulk of those remaining were young and inexperienced — with some 53% of the roster was made up of freshmen alone.

BC

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - SamuelMcF - 01-13-2020

Teams with double-digit transfer portal entrants:
- FSU (10)
- UConn (18!!!)
- Rutgers (12)
- Maryland (13)
- UMass (11)
- Stanford (14)
- UCLA (13)
- Arkansas (10)
- Tennessee (10)
- Texas A&M (10)

I saw a whole load of teams with 7-9 as well.

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - slide - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 07:36 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  Teams with double-digit transfer portal entrants:
- FSU (10)
- UConn (18!!!)
- Rutgers (12)
- Maryland (13)
- UMass (11)
- Stanford (14)
- UCLA (13)
- Arkansas (10)
- Tennessee (10)
- Texas A&M (10)

Speights (I believe) made 15 portals for us

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - BobK - 01-13-2020

Well 10 scholarship players still in the portal. Plus 2 walkons. Three have decided with Powell and Peek moving on and Harrington returning

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - cardcrimson - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 07:36 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote:  Teams with double-digit transfer portal entrants:
- FSU (10)
- UConn (18!!!)
- Rutgers (12)
- Maryland (13)
- UMass (11)
- Stanford (14)
- UCLA (13)
- Arkansas (10)
- Tennessee (10)
- Texas A&M (10)

Rumors were that UConn was giving up football, or dropping down, or something, hence the high number. Saw it somewhere on the web, so it has to be true.

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - needle - 01-13-2020

Haven't classes started at something like 90% of all schools?

I would think that the majority of transfers would be enrolled at their new school by now.

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - BostonCard - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 10:15 PM)needle Wrote:  Haven't classes started at something like 90% of all schools?

I would think that the majority of transfers would be enrolled at their new school by now.

Only if they want to transfer into the winter/spring quarter.  But graduate transfers have to a) graduate, which may not happen until the end of spring quarter and b) start their new graduate program, which may not start until the fall.  I’m sure, however, we will start to see more spring graduate transfers as players and teams recognize the benefit of spring practice with their new teams.

BC

RE: Today in potential opponent attrition: Bruins edition - CTcard - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 08:42 PM)cardcrimson Wrote:  Rumors were that UConn was giving up football, or dropping down, or something, hence the high number. Saw it somewhere on the web, so it has to be true.

UConn has dropped out of the American Athletic Conference to (re)join the Big East.
The Big East doesn't have football, meaning UConn will be an independent in football next year.

That was done to protect the basketball program. After getting turned down by every Power 5 conference (they thought they were getting the spot Louisville ended up with in the ACC), UConn has now decided that basketball is the key product they've got - and the traditional rivalries are more Big East than anywhere else.

The effort to get into a Power 5 conference meant they were spending like a Power 5 conference member without any notable income stream. That led to UConn leading the nation in recent years for having the largest subsidy of its intercollegiate athletics programs. [Got the title when Rutgers got into the Big Ten.]

The above issues plus the fact that UConn has only been FBS/1-A since 2002 has led to the rumors.
However, UConn says that are remaining FBS and have announced their schedule for next year - so ahead of the Pac-12 on that.