The CardBoard
From Honolulu to Pullman - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: From Honolulu to Pullman (/showthread.php?tid=18861)

From Honolulu to Pullman - needle - 01-14-2020

WSU Cougars to hire Hawaii’s Nick Rolovich to replace Mike Leach as head coach

Jan. 13, 2020 at 10:01 pm Updated Jan. 14, 2020 at 8:45 am

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/reports-wsu-cougars-to-hire-hawaiis-nick-rolovich-to-replace-mike-leach-as-head-coach/

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - JohnR34231 - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 10:14 AM)needle Wrote:  WSU Cougars to hire Hawaii’s Nick Rolovich to replace Mike Leach as head coach

Jan. 13, 2020 at 10:01 pm Updated Jan. 14, 2020 at 8:45 am

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/reports-wsu-cougars-to-hire-hawaiis-nick-rolovich-to-replace-mike-leach-as-head-coach/

Whoa, 5x his current salary.
Definitely give him something to console himself with during those Pullman winters.

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - Phogge - 01-14-2020

From Marin Catholic to CCSF to Wazzu. Learned a lot from legendary CCSF coach George Rush.

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - Farm93 - 01-14-2020

That's a good hire for the WSU and the current WSU players, especially for the offensive players that might opt to leave if the coach had a different style.

The coaching staff for Hawaii spends most of the winter on planes trying to find recruits.   WSU is a place where coaches and players spend a lot of time travelling, but not as much as Hawaii.   Crazy WSU found someone that would see WSU's travel demands as an improvement.

$3 million per year is not a lot for a Power 5 conference, so if he wins other programs will be quick to give him a call.

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - CornFed - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 11:53 AM)Phogge Wrote:  From Marin Catholic to CCSF to Wazzu. Learned a lot from legendary CCSF coach George Rush.
And June Jones.

rich_matta2@yahoo.com - CardinalSagehen - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 12:17 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  The coaching staff for Hawaii spends most of the winter on planes trying to find recruits.   WSU is a place where coaches and players spend a lot of time travelling, but not as much as Hawaii.   Crazy WSU found someone that would see WSU's travel demands as an improvement.

But what about the change in climate? Brutal.

A slight improvement to the title of this thread would be, "From Paradise to Pullman".  I'd definitely do it for $3M/year, though.

(Disclaimer: I've actually never been to Pullman - just heard the stories and gripes. Sorry if anyone here is from Pullman and cares to defend it!)

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - JJJ - 01-14-2020

Hadn't been paying attention so had no idea this was in the works. Good for Rolo. It seems like only a couple of years ago they were debating whether he or Timmy Chang should start. Wish him nothing but success (except when he plays the Cardinal).

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - Farm93 - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 01:44 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  But what about the change in climate? Brutal.
Coaches spend a lot of time on the road.   Very confident the average Hawaii football coach is not strolling along the beach with the family.   They are in airports and airplanes most of their offseason and in the office during the season.   Might as well coach in places with nice facilities or easy travel logistics.

WSU is just the next stepping stone anyway.   That stepping stone stuff wouldn't be in the press conference of course.   He will undoubtedly say the things EVERY coach says.

(Insert School) has a proud history.   I am honored to be the head coach here at (Insert School).   I expect we will compete for championships. Etc. Etc.

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - Durty Nelly - 01-15-2020

(01-14-2020, 01:44 PM)CardinalSagehen Wrote:  
(01-14-2020, 12:17 PM)Farm93 Wrote:  The coaching staff for Hawaii spends most of the winter on planes trying to find recruits.   WSU is a place where coaches and players spend a lot of time travelling, but not as much as Hawaii.   Crazy WSU found someone that would see WSU's travel demands as an improvement.

A slight improvement to the title of this thread would be, "From Paradise to Pullman".  I'd definitely do it for $3M/year, though.

(Disclaimer: I've actually never been to Pullman - just heard the stories and gripes. Sorry if anyone here is from Pullman and cares to defend it!)

I grew up in Northern Idaho not far from Pullman and have friends that live there and love it.  Pullman is rural.  It is close to fantastic outdoor activities and beauty.  Pullman's appeal is very different from other Pac 12 schools in large urban areas.  Poor airport connectivity causes it to be more isolated than the rest of the Pac 12 especially in the winter when the roads to Spokane can be bad.  Also, it is not commonly visited as Coeur d'Alene and the surrounding areas would be the big tourist draw in the area. Making it unknown or misunderstood by a large part of the population of the western US.

Could I live there and enjoy it?  Yes.  (I have lived in Idaho, Montana, Northern & Southern California, Switzerland, Australia, France and now Ireland.)  Pullman is not for everyone but look at it for what it is, a rural city surrounded by nature, not for what it is not, a bustling urban center.

I certainly understand that when going to university many students  (and student athletes) want to go to or stay in the big urban areas.  Pullman does not check that box.

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - 81alum - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Durty Nelly Wrote:  I grew up in Northern Idaho not far from Pullman and have friends that live there and love it.  Pullman is rural.  It is close to fantastic outdoor activities and beauty.  Pullman's appeal is very different from other Pac 12 schools in large urban areas.  Poor airport connectivity causes it to be more isolated than the rest of the Pac 12 especially in the winter when the roads to Spokane can be bad.  Also, it is not commonly visited as Coeur d'Alene and the surrounding areas would be the big tourist draw in the area. Making it unknown or misunderstood by a large part of the population of the western US.

Could I live there and enjoy it?  Yes.  (I have lived in Idaho, Montana, Northern & Southern California, Switzerland, Australia, France and now Ireland.)  Pullman is not for everyone but look at it for what it is, a rural city surrounded by nature, not for what it is not, a bustling urban center.

I certainly understand that when going to university many students  (and student athletes) want to go to or stay in the big urban areas.  Pullman does not check that box.
I also grew up in Idaho, my brother got his advanced degree from WSU and I spent a fair bit of time in Pullman.  I agree with your sentiments.  The Palouse is quite beautiful, and the weather is no worse than that of any of the non coastal US areas.  There is good proximity to a lot of outdoor activities.

However, placing WSU in such a small town has to be regarded as a mistake, especially given the way it was allowed to grow from an ag college to a full multiversity.  Had its founders been prescient they should have put it in Spokane which could provide better infrastructure.  The population of Pullman has always been a bit of a sore point since people wonder if they are counting the university population in the city population.  The 2010 census put Pullman at over 30k, but the size of WSU is over 20k.  When my brother was there the population of the university quite clearly outnumbered that of the town.  Moscow across the border has a similar problem but they have kept that university half the size of WSU and directed growth to Boise State.  (Despite this, I'd still prefer U of I to Boise State!)

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - Mick - 01-15-2020

(01-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Durty Nelly Wrote:  

I grew up in Northern Idaho not far from Pullman and have friends that live there and love it.  Pullman is rural.  It is close to fantastic outdoor activities and beauty.  Pullman's appeal is very different from other Pac 12 schools in large urban areas.  Poor airport connectivity causes it to be more isolated than the rest of the Pac 12 especially in the winter when the roads to Spokane can be bad.  Also, it is not commonly visited as Coeur d'Alene and the surrounding areas would be the big tourist draw in the area. Making it unknown or misunderstood by a large part of the population of the western US.

Sounds lovely.  My grandfather (Stanford, '42) and great grandfather's family were from Potlatch.

RE: rich_matta2@yahoo.com - Durty Nelly - 01-16-2020

(01-15-2020, 08:05 PM)Mick Wrote:  
(01-15-2020, 11:43 AM)Durty Nelly Wrote:  

Sounds lovely.  My grandfather (Stanford, '42) and great grandfather's family were from Potlatch.

Potlatch is commuting distance from Pullman.  Went through it often on the way to Moscow or Pullman from St Maries where I grew up.  (A logging town an hour north of Potlatch. The main employer in the town is the Potlatch plywood mill.)

RE: From Honolulu to Pullman - JJJ - 01-17-2020

(01-14-2020, 07:28 PM)JJJ Wrote:  Hadn't been paying attention so had no idea this was in the works. Good for Rolo. It seems like only a couple of years ago they were debating whether he or Timmy Chang should start. Wish him nothing but success (except when he plays the Cardinal).

So I’m rooting against Rolo for 10/17 at our Homecoming game.