The CardBoard
MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? (/showthread.php?tid=18863)

MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - Papa John - 01-14-2020

While Stanford MBB has had some recent success at home versus the LA schools, Stanford MBB has lost 13 in a row @ UCLA and 3 in a row @ USC. 

Stanford has not swept the LA schools on the road since 2004-05 (there were no away games versus the LA schools during the 2015-16 season).

The 2004-05 team featured Chris Hernandez, Matt Haryasz and Fred Washington. Josh Childress turned pro and Dan Grunfeld suffered a season-ending injury, which obviously impacted the team's overall performance, including a loss versus Travis Niesen and his Santa Clara Broncos.

The last time a Stanford MBB team went undefeated versus the state of California was, of course, during the 2003-04 season when we beat UC Irvine, Cal (x2), UCLA (x2) and USC (x2). So far in 2019-20, Stanford has beaten the following in-state rivals: Cal State Fullerton, Long Beach State, Santa Clara, SJSU, U. of San Francisco, U. of San Diego and Cal. After the road trip to LA we face Cal in Berkeley, and that's it for regular-season games versus in-state schools.

I think our chances of winning the next three on the road are less than 50%. USC looks to be the biggest obstacle, but, honestly, if we have another game where the offense goes in the tank for the first 10 minutes, anyone can beat us. But I also think our chances of winning @ UCLA, USC and Cal this year are higher than they have been for quite a while.

The fun starts at UCLA on Wednesday at 7 pm!

RE: MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - Spiny_Norman - 01-14-2020

There are two measuring sticks for my assessment of success this season - win at Pauley for the first time since 2005 and beat Arizona after 19 straight defeats.

If #1 happens tomorrow, I'll be there. Look for me in section 201, row 8.

RE: MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - winflop - 01-14-2020

Defense travels well. They will be in both games. If they can execute on offense they will win.

I was at Stanford's first win in Pauley. Trevor Wilson went 0-10 from the line. We were yelling "Treeeeee-vorrrrrr" so loudly and obnoxiously that the fans in the rows in front of us cleared out. I will always be proud of that

RE: MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - Spiny_Norman - 01-14-2020

(01-14-2020, 04:11 PM)winflop Wrote:  Defense travels well. They will be in both games. If they can execute on offense they will win.

I was at Stanford's first win in Pauley. Trevor Wilson went 0-10 from the line. We were yelling "Treeeeee-vorrrrrr" so loudly and obnoxiously that the fans in the rows in front of us cleared out. I will always be proud of that

Win, I was there too. And it took Stanford 26 years to get its first win at Pauley!

RE: MBB: Is this the year the LA road losing streak is broken? - 2006alum - 01-14-2020

Hi Woofing Gods, nothing go on here, no reason to get upset! =)