The CardBoard
Most dominant college teams in history - Printable Version

+- The CardBoard (https://thecardboard.org/board)
+-- Forum: C-House! (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The CARDboard (https://thecardboard.org/board/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Most dominant college teams in history (/showthread.php?tid=18963)

Pages: 1 2

Most dominant college teams in history - 81alum - 02-12-2020

In the WBB recruiting thread we all gagged when we saw someone describe UConn as the most dominant team in history, or somesuch, and were coming up with obvious counterexamples.

I posted the following, but then realizing that I was polluting the recruiting thread and getting very far afield, so I deleted it and move it here.

John Wooden, our own women's tennis, and a few other programs were mentioned.  This is my entry:

------

None of that holds a candle to judo, which combines men's and women's scores for the team championship.  San Jose State has won the championship more than 45 times since 1962.  West Point has been putting up a bit of a fight lately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercolle..._champions

Maybe you don't like judo or think it is a prominent sport, but there is no denying that Sensei Yoshihiro Uchida is far and away the most successful coach for his sport of anyone in history, coaching for 70 years so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosh_Uchida

Perhaps most ironic, he coaches in the same building in which his family was processed for shipment to internment during WWII.  This building has now been named after him.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - BobK - 02-12-2020

Agree Uchida is an awesome coach.
I was thinking usc men’s track with 26 ncaa wins

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - SamuelMcF - 02-12-2020

Oklahoma State wrestling has won 34 NCAA titles. 26 in the 40 years between 1928-1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_State_Cowboys_wrestling

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - jonnyss - 02-12-2020

i think the espn writer is correct.

the UConn women's basketball team is the most dominant team in the history of central connecticut sports, college or professional.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - CowboyIndian - 02-12-2020

How about Oklahoma football from 1953-1957? 47 straight!

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Lorcan - 02-13-2020

The most dominant collegiate program of all time might have to go to D3 Powerhouse Kenyon. The Lords have won 34 national championships in swimming, including 31 in a row until rival Denison ended the streak in 2012. Its insane to think that a school has managed that level of dominance without scholarships. Kenyon has only managed to win 34 out of 45 possible national championships in D3 swimming. Pretty amazing accomplishment.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - OutsiderFan - 02-13-2020

UNC Women's Soccer had quite a long run of dominance, yes?

Leftcoast - Leftcoast - 02-13-2020

Love ‘em or hate ‘em UConn WBB will be among the first teams people think of when NCAA Div 1 dominance is raised.

I think of Wooden’s UCLA teams, Geno’s UConn teams and Stanford’s Directors Cup wins.  My guess is the first two would be in 90% of fan’s first thoughts.

Personally, I’m in the “hate ‘em” camp and I’d love Tara’s team to be part of turning that page of NCAA history. (Then tearing it out, shredding it with a P7 micro-cut shredder, dousing the remains with gasoline and tossing in a lit match.  Other than that I’m ok with Auriema and UConn.)

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Mick - 02-13-2020

(02-12-2020, 11:15 PM)CowboyIndian Wrote:  How about Oklahoma football from 1953-1957? 47 straight!

I will give you $1 if you know which was the last college team to beat Oklahoma and which team stopped the streak...

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - BobK - 02-13-2020

Notre Dame?

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Mick - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 04:06 PM)BobK Wrote:  Notre Dame?

Notre Dame was the last team to beat Oklahoma in the 1953 season opener, although Pittsburgh tied Oklahoma the next week.  47 games later, Notre Dame beat Oklahoma again.

Incidentally, Oklahoma has the fourth longest streak as well.  They won 31 straight between 1948 and 1950, also under Coach Bud Wilkinson.  They lost their opening game of the 1948 season against Santa Clara before 7,000 fans at Kezar and didn't lose again for three seasons until losing to Kentucky in the 1951 Sugar Bowl.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Spiny_Norman - 02-13-2020

Notre Dame is also the answer to the question of which school ended UCLA's 88 game MBB winning streak.

Of course we know well which school bookended UConn's 90 game WBB winning streak.

Another nominee for NCAA domination - Houston men's golf. From 1956 to 1972 (a period of 17 years), Houston won 12 NCs and finished runner up 4 times. That's pretty amazing in a sport where you have to beat every team in the field, not just the ones you are matched against. Houston would win three more NCs in a four year span from 1982 to 1985.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - 81alum - 04-01-2020

(02-12-2020, 04:34 PM)BobK Wrote:  Agree Uchida is an awesome coach. 
https://mercurynews-ca.newsmemory.com/?token=tfIluVeXGFUS465Q94qxCQ%3d%3d&product=eEditionSJMN
He turns 100 today.

Quote:The centenarian was scheduled to return to Tokyo for the 2020 Olympics that have been moved to the summer of 2021.

Just another obstacle, Uchida said.“I’ve got to survive to enjoy the things that I have planned,” he said. “If I’m around for 101 I might as well do something.”

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Phogge - 04-01-2020

Notre Dame 7 Okie 0. What future NY Giant scored the touchdown? What was down and distance? What play did the Irish run?

Back in the 50’s there was one national TV game a week. I remember watching this game. Was an Irish fan back then. What a fool.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - ColoradoTree - 04-01-2020

Cal men's rugby, as much as I hate to say it. Won twelve straight national titles from 1991-2002, then won five in a row from 2004-08 and back-to-back titles in 2010-11 and 2016-17.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Phogge - 04-02-2020

Trivia answer... Fourth and goal from the Okie six, fourth Q. Dick Lynch took a pitchout around his own right end and scored. Lynch later was a starter in the Giants defensive backfield behind one of the greatest front seven’s in history. Rosey Grier, Andy Robustelli, Jim Katcavage, Sam Huff.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - terry - 04-02-2020

Kenyon College won 31 straight Div. III men's swimming championships (1980-2010).

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Mick - 04-02-2020

7 men's basketball championships in a row by UCLA
5 baseball championships in a row by USC (1970-1974).
8 golf championships by Yale, starting in 1905
3 lacrosse championships by Princeton, starting in 1996
9 women's soccer by North Carolina starting in 1986
4 Men's Tennis by USC (twice) and Stanford (once).
12 indoor track by Arkansas.

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - BobK - 04-02-2020

USC track & field 9 national championships in a row then a small gap and 7 more

RE: Most dominant college teams in history - Phogge - 04-02-2020

1935-43...1949-55.

Plus a long, long dual meet streak. Almost busted by Stanford except for rain and letting the team go home. Restaged at Foothill College and two triple jumpers never got the word and Stanford lost by a nose hair.